[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ive never played any Witcher game are they any good? should I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: witcher3_en_1438175912.jpg (176 KB, 589x331) Image search: [Google]
witcher3_en_1438175912.jpg
176 KB, 589x331
Ive never played any Witcher game
are they any good?
should I play them in order?
>>
>>329200307
If you want to understand the world, characters and story, play them in order. They are proper sequels.
All 3 are good, but a bit different.
The first game uses a modified NWN module and it plays more like a top down RPG than an action game. Personally I loved it, but people used to Dodge Souls sometimes complain that it's not action-y/twitchy enough.
>>
>>329200307
what kind of RPGs do you like?
>>
>>329200615
Xenogears
>>
>>329200307
I played the third one and enjoyed it very much, i didn't feel like i was missing out on too much beside a bit of back story from not playing the firsr two.
Definitely get 3, and its up to you if you also want 1 & 2.
>>
>>329200307

1st game is great, 3rd game is great, 2nd game is okay

Play all of them if you want story involvement.
>>
>>329200307
The first game has a great story but a lot of it is bad in my opinion. Some of the quests are just absolutely terrible and are obviously just meant to be time killers. The combat is awful. If you can handle that though, there's some cool stuff in the game. I beat it because I had a lot of free time at the time.

I skipped The Witcher 2 and am almost done with The Witcher 3. TW3 is a great game and while it would be better to play all of them, I don't think it's a very big deal in The Witcher 3 to have played the previous games.
>>
>>329201416
is that the only one?
>>
I'm about to replay TW3. What is a fun way to play? Going to be on Deathmarch difficulty. I did cat armor and sword last time.
>>
>>329200307
They're all good rpgs. The first 2 are a little rough around the edges but their strong points make up for it. You'll also get more out of the third one if you play the first two games. I'd recommend you read the first couple of witcher books but thats a pretty big commitment. One of the main things the witcher 3 offers is deep lore and an expansive, highly detailed world. The more you've already invested in the setting the more you'll get out of it.
>>
>>329202886
The most fun way to play is a suboptimal jack of all trades with cat armor. Alot of the other builds are too op.
>>
>>329203336
Too OP even for deathmarch? But yeah I can try to do that. I usually like focusing on one type of playstyle but I might try signs, alchemy and swords this time.
>>
>>329201912
2nd game is pretty great too. Its got a really strong main questline and the most challenging combat. The lore and roleplaying options are comparable to the other two games.
>>
>>329203489
Unfortunately yes. The leveling is pretty fucked, and I say that as someone who loved the game.

The cat armor kept the game interesting because of how quickly you died. Also turn off the minimap. The game is a lot more fun when you actually have to navigate instead of just following the bread crumbs.
>>
>>329202886
How can you replay a 150+ hr rpg? Just wait for blood and wine.
>>
>>329200307
I'd just watch a decent recap on YouTube of the first game, play one and two. Unless you can handle the interface of the first game
>>
File: 2nd best armor.jpg (206 KB, 754x1080) Image search: [Google]
2nd best armor.jpg
206 KB, 754x1080
>>329201416
good taste but you won't like witcher 2 or 3. They're closer to a souls/asscreed hybrid with some flash outfits and an RPG element thrown in here and there.

You might like 1 tho
>>
>>329203993
Two and three I meant
>>
>>329203786
thanks for the tips anon. Like I said I played it on release now I wanna get back into it since I know the DLC will be coming soon, I hope.

>kept the game interesting because of how quickly you died
Do you mean it's interesting because the armor has bad defense and you die fast?

Also I like the mini map idea. Should I completely turn off the map or just the bread crumbs?

>>329203959
Haven't played it since it released, and since HoS released. (Which I only did the DLC related stuff then.)

I'm just so bored with games right now, want to go back to a game world I know and love. Sucks I already know the story, but it's a good one so it's ok.
>>
>>329204001
>with an rpg element thrown in here or there
If you're going completely based off of stats maybe, but the storyline is full of dialogue choices and branching quests.
>>
They wipe the floor with Dark Souls
>>
Yes you should play all three, preferrably in order.
You dont have to of course, but all three games are very very good. Original game has godtier ending for example.

Yes, you can play witcher 3 without the others, the same way you can eat dinner without having breakfast that day. Does not make breakfast less enjoyable that dinner exists.
>>
>>329204105
Yeah the cat armor kept the combat interesting because you knew after only a few hits you'd be dead. I'd say turn of the minimap completely. Even without the bread crumbs you'd still just be staring at the little circle, instead of looking at the game world.
>>
File: 1386259885447.jpg (284 KB, 876x811) Image search: [Google]
1386259885447.jpg
284 KB, 876x811
>>329204001
>They're closer to a souls/asscreed hybrid with some flash outfits and an RPG element thrown in here and there.
please don't fucking post in RPG threads again.
>>
>>329204269
upvoted
>>
They are a continuous story, so you'll appreciate little things in the later games if you play them in order.
I don't think it's necessary to play them all, but you should at least read upon the backstory if you decide not to.
>>
>>329200307
You don't necessarily have to play them in order but you miss out a lot on context in story and characters which would be a shame because it's half the enjoyment of the series. I'd still suggest you play the first game because it has some things it did very well despite being a very amateur work from a new studio.
>>
Should also mention, the third game plays much better with a controller than keyboard+mouse.
>>
>>329200307
>should I play them in order?

You should play 1 and 2 in order but 3 you could really jump in and play first or last. From a story perspective you don't miss much from not playing 1 and 2 first. In this spoiler is really the only thing you miss out on Geralt can't remember most of his life at the start of 1 and it slowly comes back over the 2 games. During that time Triss pretends she and Geralt were much closer than they really were because she is in love with Geralt and doesn't tell him about his real girlfriend that may or may not be in trouble and need help or his daughter until Geralt asks point blank about them in game 2.

The reason you can play 3 whenever is the Witcher 3 is much more of a follow up to the book series than the first 2 games so if anything you should read the books before playing 3. It isn't needed but there are a lot of characters and references to the books in W3
>>
>>329204269
Agreed.
>>
>>329200307
Yeah, start with the first one and finish there.
>>
>>329200307
Play them in order, Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 combined are like 5 dollars in each steam sale, a complete steal for that price.

Witcher 1 starts a bit slow, like really slow, but plow through the first two chapters and you will have a godtier RPG experience.

Witcher 2 is the worst of the trilogy, but it is not a bad game at all, it has a lot of Choices and Consequences, as in you will keep finding new shit about the game years from now, but it lost its "essence" that you will feel in Witcher 1.

Witcher 3 is the best game out of the three, it regained that "essence" that Witcher 1 had and put it in a huge open world, sure, some plotlines suffered because they had to focus on the world itself, but overall, a damn good game, especially if you read the books before playing Witcher 3.

Overall: Witcher 3 > Witcher 1 > Witcher 2

You don't find that many game franchises that doesn't have a bad game in them, have fun, anon.
>>
>>329205890
>They are a continuous story, so you'll appreciate little things in the later games if you play them in order.
You'll appreciate it a lot more if you read the books.
>>
>>329209020
>You don't find that many game franchises that doesn't have a bad game in them, have fun, anon.
I agree with this, but disagree in the order.
>>
>>329209020
>it has a lot of Choices and Consequences
It was my favorite game in the 'choices matter' department. You get an entire set of specific quests and story in act 2 that depend on what you do in act 1.

None of this 'you can do everything available in 1 play through no matter your choices" like you see in say the Mass Effect games
>>
>>329200307
just play 3 and decide if you like it enough to play the less polished prequel.
>>
Is it necessary to import a Witcher 1 save when starting The Witcher 2? I really don't have the motivation to play through TW1 again.
>>
>>329210672
No. I don't think any major choices carry over.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.