[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As you've gotten older, has your preference of singleplayer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 1366583567682.gif (2 MB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1366583567682.gif
2 MB, 240x320
As you've gotten older, has your preference of singleplayer vs. multiplayer changed at all?

I was thinking about how I used to play almost exclusively multiplayer games during middle and high school (BW, W3, tribes 2), but for the for the past 8 years have been moving towards singleplayer games to the point where the only multiplayer games I've played in the past 3 years have been tribes ascend and rocket league
>>
>>329194435
I doubt its age related. I'm always single player except for occasional games where multiplayer is a focus and you cant get away from it yet the game still interests me, basically it's an aside if it's there ok, if it isn't, I don't care.
>>
File: distress.jpg (75 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
distress.jpg
75 KB, 900x675
Opposite for me anon, played mostly single player growing up because social disorder and after I hit a meltdown in college and dropped out I play almost multiplayer exclusive games.

I'm a bit lonely.
>>
File: 1436819258709.jpg (21 KB, 249x231) Image search: [Google]
1436819258709.jpg
21 KB, 249x231
I still love multiplayer co-op games, but new ones are feeling too few and far between, with fewer people to play 'em with now.

I wish there were more beat-em-ups
>>
i used to only play on the highest difficulty, nothing else would be acceptable.

Now I've picked up other hobbies and have a career I'm emotionally invested into so I still play videogames, but I stopped caring about 100% completing a game or beating it on the hardest difficulty.

I think it's because I had no achievements in my life back then, and now that I have other shit I can do that grants me real-life rewards, I just kind of put more energy into those things instead.
>>
>>329194969
just curious but what hobbies?
>>
I used to like video games but now I don't.
>>
>>329195437
It's all good. My first year at uni I picked up rugby and programming, both of which I've really come to enjoy. I've also played guitar since I was 9 but that's really more of a stress-relief sort of deal.
>>
>>329194969

Same here. Time is also often an issue. While I love gaming, I simply don't have the time to do it every day (I only really play whenever I have nothing else to do) and there's loads of games that I want to play, so 100%ing them would mean that I'd have to miss out on other games. Unlike many other people, I actually do try to finish all of my games, though.
>>
>>329194435

Oldfag here

Find it hard for singleplayer games to maintain my attention span.

Warcraft won for 11 years and likely contributed to me needing multiplayer games, but that's awful now.

Now I can't tell if I just want to collect games so I know I have them and if I bored I can play them, actually play them
>>
I was about 80/20 single/multi in my youth and adolescence. Now I'm 26, it's about 90/10, and most of that 10 is Smash or Mario Party with friends. I play XIV but I don't talk to anyone if I don't have to.
>>
I played SIngle player for so long but was forced into that corner because of shitty internet, now I play multiplayer games almost exclusively because any new single player game feels forced and has a shitty story and gameplay
>>
Multiplayer has been my preferred game type since the early 90s when my family got dial-up internet.
>>
>>329194435

Singleplayer, but I like to have someone watching me.

I don't have the schedule for multi-player games anymore, but I can sit down and chip away at a single player game one chapter a week.
>>
Singleplayer was always my preference. Multiplayer is only fun with adults. Kids can't do multiplayer without one little shit ruining it for everyone. Thanks Langston, you piece of shit.
RIP
>>
I'm similar, OP. Got into online games in middle school and almost exclusively played multiplayer stuff early in high school. Barely played anything online throughout college, except for some Counter Strike occasionally with an old friend. Most of the friends I used to play with stopped playing, and most of the kinds of games I used to play online are dead.
>>
File: 1362697497700.png (660 KB, 879x465) Image search: [Google]
1362697497700.png
660 KB, 879x465
>>329194797
mah most-likely-not-african-american-person

I used to like PvP games, but eventually you start realizing how many hacking faggots there are in this world and get tired of the bullshit.

If I had a console, I'd probably play PvP again since hacking isn't nearly as rampant, but since I just have a PC it's online co-op and singleplayer for me.
>>
>>329198354
Nigga, what game are you playing in this day and age where hacking is still that big of an issue?
>>
>>329194435
worst girl. fite me
>>
File: natural-selection-2-logo-2.png (432 KB, 800x414) Image search: [Google]
natural-selection-2-logo-2.png
432 KB, 800x414
>>329198452
This game was like a child to me

I had 1300 hours in it but I quit playing last year because I just couldn't take the hackers anymore. Fucking fades that never miss swipes, marines that 1 shot your lerk with a shotgun when you're flying mach 3 speed... I was just fed up

Most games don't have such bad hacking problems. I played TF2 for years and the hacking was never that bad because it was such a casual little game. Red Orchestra 2 has some hackers, but because the servers are so large, one or two people hacking doesn't really disrupt things that much.
>>
>>329194628
This but without the retarded introvert stuff. I just didn't have a pc growing up. I like a good deal of both but a lot of my friends are too casual for me.
>>
>>329198870
Yeah, I guess it's smaller titles like that that would have more of an issue. I actually never got to play NSII. I bought the game on sale, but it doesn't seem to be very well optimized and my computer runs the game at like 15 fps. It's a shame to hear that it's fucked up.
>>
File: 1447391483482.jpg (123 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1447391483482.jpg
123 KB, 612x612
I used to love multiplayer games and almost exclusively played them.

Not sure if it's my age now, but it seems 'gamers' in general have gotten obnoxious as fuck. I can't even be bothered to socialize with these people. Every fucking moron online nowadays is a meme-spewing imbecile that can't talk normally. It's gotten to the point where I actually enjoy playing with bots more instead of real players.

I'm probably just getting older. I don't know.
>>
>>329194435
I've always preferred SP games, but I've noticed I play a lot more MP games now than I used to.
>>
I played more multiplayer games when I was younger, yeah. Racing games mostly, but now they bore me to death. I'm pretty sure the past half decade I haven't played a single multiplayer-focused game.
>>
>>329199041
I mean, I mostly played online games in middle school and high school and we had our own stupid "meme" slang ten years ago that probably seemed retarded to older people at the time. But it did definitely seem like more people actually communicated with each other then. I think it's partly due to the rise of console multiplayer and matchmaking that's created a culture shift. Back in the days of dedicated servers you played with the same group of people for hours on end and talked with them. You could come back to the same server on a different day and run into the same people. Now most games just present you with a constantly-shuffling list of randoms, and there's absolutely nothing to gain from communicating with them.
>>
I've always preferred single player, but as I get older my patience for multiplayer seems to dwindle. I just don't feel like investing dozens of hours into one in order to "git gud". I get bored of playing the same game for months and months on end and either want to move on to the next, or play some older titles.
>>
I used to play hours and hours of fps/moba/RTS games. Now that I have to balance work/gf/working out/upkeeping a house I prefer playing on the Wii with my gf or on my 3ds.
>>
>>329199479
It definitely felt different back then. Honestly, I blame social media, Twitch and this stupid Let's Play bullshit. It's like every dumbass wants to be an internet celebrity nowadays. There's no camaraderie anymore.
>>
growing up I never had good internet and I went to a small school where almost nobody else played videogames so it was all singleplayer for me
after school I got decent internet and tried many multiplayer games but never really cared for them for more than a couple hours total
the only ones I ever really liked were Quake 3 and Tribes Ascend
>>
No. I play single almost exclusively. I used to play couch multiplayer occasionally, now I play online multiplayer occasionally.
>>
I still prefer multiplayer, that is, 4 player local multiplayer with my friends, not online autism.
>>
File: 1455962167043.gif (2 MB, 350x372) Image search: [Google]
1455962167043.gif
2 MB, 350x372
>have 10+ years on lil' bro
>try introducing him to good ol' co-op games
>"this game is OLD, let's play a new game instead"
>o-ok
>watch him button mash one of those new Batman games instead

he just did this with Dragon's Crown

he's killing me
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.