[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some games that make you smarter for having played them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 1400083684-the-witness-poster.jpg (561 KB, 1836x2780) Image search: [Google]
1400083684-the-witness-poster.jpg
561 KB, 1836x2780
What are some games that make you smarter for having played them?
>>
>>329140072
Nothing makes you smarter.
You make you smarter.

Your understanding and ability to apply what you've sought to learn make you "smarter".
>>
>>329140226
Reading a classic novel or playing sudoku are things that exercise your brain, as opposed to a mindless activity like playing the latest Assassins Creed. That's what I'm trying to get at, which games serve as a mental workout?
>>
>>329140721
>Reading a classic novel
Doesn't matter if you have no comprehension of what you've read
>>
The Legacy of Kain series might not have make me smarter but it made me use bigger words to at least pretend I am.
>>
>>329140072
wait a minute, that card
>>
EvE Online prompted me to go back and freshen up on percentages, so there's that
>>
>>329142045
Thats where thinking about what you read comes into play.

It's why when you were in school you answered questions about whatever book you were reading in class.
>>
It's not called a spreadsheet simulator for nothing.
>>
Bioshock Infinite
>>
>make you smarter for having played them?
You mean giving worthless retards the FEELING of being smart.
>>
>>329142995
Are you stupid or do you just feel threatened by idea that other people are smarter than you?
>>
minecraft
cities skylines
stalker
>>
>>329143313
retards are retards a game won't make them smarter, solving some shitty easy puzzles doesn't make retards smarter
>>
>>329142642
>Thats where thinking about what you read comes into play.
You can think about it but still have no real understating
>It's why when you were in school you answered questions about whatever book you were reading in class.
You had people to bounce ideas off of and then a teacher to tell you what they thouhgt
E.G.Teacher: The blue curtains represents to characters depression covering his world view
Author:Curtains were blue

Give Hexcells a go, It's three games of logic puzzles, also Professor Layton.
>>
>>329143313
Wow hooked much?
Moron
>>
>>329140072
spacechem
>>
>>329143546
Literally everything you do changes your brain, so yeah, solving logic puzzles and spatial reasoning problems is going to make you smarter than playing any mass market story-driven AAA game.
>>
>>329140072
https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2016/02/05/smart/
>>
>>329140072
Play spacechem

that game rewards creativity at least.
>>
>>329144142
Is this what retards tell themselves to feel better?
>>
>>329140072
Amusing how hard that shit dropped off the map after the week of 10/10s and artificial hype
>>
Talos Principle
>>
>>329144346
It's a very superficial game.
>>
>>329144142
>DUDE, listening to these out of place outdated quotes this overrated German physicist said a billion years ago totally puts me on a higher echelon than the masses
>>
>>329144327
Lol someone's unnecessarily mad
>>
>>329144601
>I didnt understand The Witness so I hate it! Confusing game bad!!!
>>
>>329140072
If you could explain how, after playing this game, you gained some real-world applicable skill then by all means explain. Otherwise you just "feel" smarter because you figured out a puzzle system.
>>
>>329144754
Don't you have a latte to be sipping you pompous beatnik
>>
>>329144796
>figured out
all puzzles had tutorials
>>
>>329143796
Spacechem is easily the most original puzzle game I have ever played. God fucking damn does it get hard.
>>
>>329144796
Spatial visualization, working memory, inductive reasoning are literally all skills measured on an IQ test, and trained by playing that game.
>>
>>329145382
so what retard, you can't magically increase your IQ dipshit
you can learn how to solve puzzles, doesn't make you smarter retard
>>
File: 1355053489656.gif (375 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1355053489656.gif
375 KB, 300x169
>>329143796
>>329144212
>>329145004
>Mother fucking Space Chem
>Get later on in the levels
>"What? There's no fucking way I can do this."
>"Fuck it. Let's take it one step at a time. Do this and this and this. No. Shit. Now this is in the way."
>Scrap design
>Restart
>Scrap
>Restart
>See a rad little combo that will save tons of space
>Build machine
>Works perfectly
>tfw sitting there and watching it work a couple times
>tfw it's a level requiring you to use a handful of complicated reactors and it still works perfectly. No backup in pipes. No misdirected chemicals. Hardly any 'reactor waiting for chemicals'

I don't want to say Space Chem makes you smarter, but it is definitely one of the most satisfying puzzle games out there.
>>
>>329145636
Butthurt low iq detected
>>
>>329144346
You mean cuz people beat it?

Amazing how hard a book drops of the map once you get to the end............
>>
>>329145636
Remember anon, pretending to be a retard isn't a valid form of trolling. You're still just acting like a retard
>>
>>329146510
If a game really is that good then usually discussion of it continues for a while after it's come out at least.
>>
File: chess.jpg (112 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
chess.jpg
112 KB, 450x250
>>
>>329146861
One of the reasons I personally don't talk about it with friends is that you can't say anything without ruining some of it.

"The tetris puzzles took me so long to figure out, I didn't know you solved them like X until I got to Y"

The game is really a mandated first person experience. If you want an opinion, I can say if you like puzzle solving in any form, go play it through. The puzzles are quite clever and it does a great job of both teaching you and of then baiting you into thinking a certain way before totally changing gears and leaving you with your dick in your hand.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.