[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncharted, why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: uncharted_games.jpg (67 KB, 746x286) Image search: [Google]
uncharted_games.jpg
67 KB, 746x286
Why do people like Uncharted so much? I couldn't even finish the first game because it was so god damn boring.

>Story is is a meh
>Characters are shallow
>Gameplay is basic BASIC third person shooter
>Brain dead puzzles

Do the games get any better? because based on the first game I'm really not understanding all the praise this series gets.
>>
>>329118373
>Why do people like Uncharted so much?
Why would you ask that here? Almost no one on /v/ likes the series

>combat
You can use the iron fist mechanic to make the combat more exciting. When you shoot an enemy, they enter a short stun animation, and in that time they will be killed by one melee attack. So you run around hip-firing and killing all of the enemies that way. Much more enjoyable than cover-shooting
>>
>>329118373
Just play Uncharted 2
>>
They're "video games" and I use that term lightly, for people who don't actually play video games.
>>
It's a mindless indiana jones movie in videogame form.

It doesn't deserve the dicksucking it gets but they're fun for a playthrough.
>>
>>329121013
>lu hurr durr it's a movie

It's a third person shooter with cinematics in between.

You kill atleast 1000-1500 people in a single playthrough
>>
>>329118373
The second game is really good. The first game feels like a proof of concept. The third game shits everything up, but four has the right people on the job.
I like the characters. And gunplay I also really enjoy the multiplayer for two and four.
/v/ hates Uncharted. They always have. Not once since 2008 have I been able to talk about these games without it turning into a shitstorm of:
>no gaems
>muh cinematics
>movie game
>>
>>329121013
What constitutes a good games to you? Specific examples only please. No answers of "anything other than this".
>>
>>329118373

Video games are all about fun and Uncharted is good at it. Just accept it. It's mindless and without any meaning.
>>
>>329118373
It doesn't have to have depth, it's main goal is to be fun and entertaining and it manages fine in that regards.
>>
>>329121649
I really enjoy the chemistry of the characters. It will always be a draw for me.
>>
"Muh le cinematic experience" games are all the rage among people who got into gaming during last gen.
>>
You spent too much time on /v/ and got told it was overrated instead of seeing a trailer or getting a recommendation like a normal person. I played one and it was average and since i could, i bought the second one and it was great. I didn't care about reviews or anything so i enjoyed an above average game and that's what it is.

It's not generic because one of the main mechanics is climbing everywhere and shoot from anywhere. That was enough to set it apart from every other third person cover based shooter.
>>
>>329121762
I've been playing games since'86 from all different types, and I love the Uncharted series.
/v/ has always hated these games. You see one or two open minded people in a sea of shit posting. With most of the shitters never even playing the games.
>I played the game on youtube kek
>>
>>329122438
A rare member of the Sony defense squad.
Witnessed.
>>
>>329118373
I don't like those games too op, but holy fuck why would you care.
Only because the game doesn't please your autism it doesn't mean it's a bad game series
>tl;dr reee normies the op post
>>
>>329122571
Sony makes plenty of things that I openly dislike. For instance, I really don't like God of War III. Just feels like it exists for shock value.
I'm an 'idort' and just buy games I want to play. At the moment the only console I own that I kind of regret is the XBOXONE. I'm hoping Scalebound changes that. I bought it for a pittance, so I can't be TOO pissed.
>>
>Story is is a meh

They're decent Indiana Jones-esque adventure stories with neat twists on popular mythology

>Characters are shallow

As is customary for the genre, they're simple archetypes but likable and well acted

>Gameplay is basic BASIC third person shooter

Wew lad, did you forget that it blends together platforming and combat? There's also simple stealth mechanics to liven up the pace and the more open levels encourage mobility as opposed to typical whack-a-mole cover shooting.

>Brain dead puzzles

For the most part yes, but there are some decent ones that involve using the notebook
>>
>>329118373
Drake must be the most boring looking videogame character ever
>>
>>329123590
I think he is a likeable protagonist. But I know I'm in the minority on that one. I hated what they did to him in three. He was a completely different person. It made it really hard to finish the game.
>>
They're a fun ride.

I don't consider them masterpieces, but they have enjoyable characters, pretty locales, decent gameplay and fun set pieces.

I have never had a bad time with an Uncharted game, but 1 is easily the weakest.
>>
File: 1454813495611.gif (124 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1454813495611.gif
124 KB, 180x180
>>329118373
1) It's a PS exclusive, if it was a multiplat people wouldn't care about it that much.

2) It's a "cinematic" game, modern game audiences love these kinds of games for some reason.
>>
File: chloe_ass_01_0.jpg (105 KB, 404x692) Image search: [Google]
chloe_ass_01_0.jpg
105 KB, 404x692
>>329118373
Uncharted 2 is the only good one. It's the perfect Indiana Jones simulator. Avoid all the other ones.
>>
>>329118373

I like screwing around when I play. It's fun throwing gas tanks, hanging while shooting, etc. The singleplayer was never that difficult, but it had its moments. I'm looking at you uncharted 2 himalayan tank battle.
>>
>>329118373
I'm playing through the ps4 cashgrab collection right now and so far having a blast. Halfway through 2 atm. I like them because:
>fun kind of oldskool press x to jump platforming, none of this hold x to effortlessly animate yourself across a landscape assassin's creed business
>writing and characters are just campy action movie fun
>environments are pretty and it's nice to look at these interesting, detailed, virtual touristy landscapes and locations
>platforming+gunplay makes for a more exciting and fun third-person shooter than a straight gears of war
>feels like it's a fun action movie you get to experience
>well paced
>puzzles take more than 1 second to solve but less than a minute like it should be. Not too hard but not quite patronisingly easy (or maybe I dumb)
>some decent western game waifus
>good gwaffics
It's just a whole lot of fun. Would recommend, 2 is especially good
>>
File: image.jpg (704 KB, 2326x1742) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
704 KB, 2326x1742
>>329118373

I played the first game two or three years ago, and everything about it was trash.

I finished Uncharted 2 on hard mode, and it was actually a very good game. It held up for a game that came out seven years ago.

Since Uncharted 4 is coming out soon, should I play the third game? Why do so many people dislike it?
>>
>>329118373
one of the first ps3 games I got and I still don't get why people like this series, sure the cutscenes are pretty to look at but there's nothing else going for it.
I got 2 gifted to me and got 3's sp for free on a psn fuck up and I played through it hoping it would shine a light on why it's so beloved and praised and I couldn't see why, it can't be the boring gameplay, the story is predictable like tlou so what is it? all I can think of are the cutscenes. I'd prefer this to be a cgi movie like tin tin than a game, cause I'll watch an indi ripoff anytime, mummy and national treasure are tons of fun.
>>
it's a naughty dog exclusive so it gets hyped
If it weren't, it'd get the same meh reaction as those shitty tomb raider games
>>
>>329125171

Aside from the lackluster story and firefights, Tomb Raider was not that shitty.

I read that Rise of the Tomb Raider improved stealth and tones down on firefights, so I'm eager to play it soon.
>>
>>329125171
spec Ops the line got praised even though it's uncharted with apocalypse now taped to its ass, clearly there's something about generic tps that uncharted fans like.
>>
File: billy2.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
billy2.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>329124665
>>
>>329125097

It's a step back from UC2 in almost every aspect, so it disappointed people. It's still much better than 1, though.
>>
>>329125097

Uncharted 2 team was working on The Last of Us and B-Team made Uncharted 3 and kinda fucked everything that made U2 as good as it was. Difficulty is all over the place, theres no real villian, the only one that actually does anything nefarious you don't get kill.

It completely removed all sense of mystery around Drake and if he was a bullshitting idiot or not. Theres a whole flashback devoted to kid Drake which more or less reveals all of his motivations and that he was lying all along about being related to Drake. Its just shit in general, the set pieces are worse, there are areas that are so confusing as to make you not want to play anymore.
>>
>>329123531
>it blends together platforming and combat
When? The platforming and shooting are almost always separate entities. It would be sick to jump across platforms while gunning down enemies, but that never seems to happen in the whole trilogy.

In all fairness it looks like 4 will be doing a bit more of that.
>>
>>329118373
it is so called exclusive == console plebs are a fucking sect.
>>
>>329125097
I think gritting your teeth and pushing through it would be wise. Just for the plot elements that 4 will call out.
As for dislike, everything was fucked up and a step down from 2. Nate is a pure asshole for nearly the whole game. You can really feel Druckmann and Straley's absence on the game.
>>
>>329125643
>The platforming and shooting are almost always separate entities.
Have you played the second or third games at all? Most of the set pieces on the games involve climbing around shit while shooting people.
>>
>>329125156
I would love a Tin Tin style movie, but I would be thinking "Why am I not playing this?".
>>
>>329118373
Why do people like Mario so much? I couldn't even finish the first game because it was so god damn boring.

>Story is is a non-existant
>Characters are as shallow as a dog piss pond
>Gameplay is basic BASIC third person platformer
>No puzzles at all

Different people have different tastes.
>>
2 and 3 are pretty fun, but all too often they just turn every stage in to a shooting gallery. It would be far better to have fewer, more intelligent enemies.
>>
File: Sam Payne.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Sam Payne.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>329121013
>a game has cutscenes so it's actually a movie meme

shit tier meme, friend.
>>
I really hope they don't go TLOU with Uncharted 4. I don't want the gritty seriousness ND seems to love nowadays in that game. I want a lighthearted sequel.
>>
>>329125643
The rope is fun as fuck in 4. The multiplayer was a fucking blast. If the single player follows suit I'm going to be happy as hell.
>>
Likeable characters, easy stupid gameplay. They're nice for one playthrough but nothing to get excited about. I certainly wouldn't buy one of them again.

It had some neat Tomb Raider vibes, but not the gameplay to go with.
>>
>>329121305
>>329118373
The first one was literally stated to be a tech demo for the PS3. People got attached and wanted a sequel which is why 2 is so good in comparison, they were working on making it more of a fun game than a platform to show off what the console can do.
>>
>>329126213
Druckmann and Straley both said that this is 'Uncharted' not The Last of Us. They said it felt strange at first because Uncharted is about cranking shit to eleven, while The Last of Us was more pulled back and smaller.
>>
>>329126353
It's hard to believe that Uncharted 2 runs on a system that has 512MB of RAM, and in reality half of it's RAM is smoke and mirrors.
>>
>>329125990
Those were the only ones I played.
>>
I've never played uncharted but it always looked like a game worth playing but not worth all the praise it gets.

But as I said never played them so my opinion is invalid.
>>
I'm currently playing the second game and it is way better then the first in every aspect, my only criticism is that sometimes it feels like you don't know where you're supposed to be going in these games or why you're doing it.
>>
>>329127934
I was fine, i saw this a few days ago and it explains things well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70_jvVOcG0
>>
>>329121013

It's games for people that like tightly crafted single player experiences rather than open worlds that end up being super bland and feel like single player MMOs.

Had to force myself to finish The Witcher, couldn't do DA:I. I'm just sick of open world games, too many of them do it poorly. Bloodborne/Dark Souls is about as open world as I can tolerate.

On the other hand I played through all 3 Uncharteds when they came out for PS4, had a blast.

To each his own.
>>
>>329118373
Felt the same anon. But there are actually people loving Uncharted and Sly on this board, even though both are terribly lazy and shit in their gameplay mechanics. Some Sonyggers have terribly bad tastes. That's the way it is.
>>
>>329118373
Console peasants have no taste? PS has no (other) games? Also it's OK as far as action adventure games go, could be much worse.
>>
>>329118373
The point of Uncharted is to feel like Indiana Jones. It's not even to watch a movie because the cutscenes are like 5 minutes each and even the "interactive cutscenes" are 5 minutes. It's an average shooter that people like because it makes them feel like Indy.
>>
>>329130037
Please enlighten us! What games does one with a superior mind such as yourself play?
>>
>>329130037
>Sly
>lazy
>shitty game mechanics

Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1409795889661.png (437 KB, 722x427) Image search: [Google]
1409795889661.png
437 KB, 722x427
>people call uncharted shit because it's an exclusive
>if if was only on PC it would be considered a masterpiece
>>
2 is one of the best shooters of last gen
>>
>>329118373

Uncharted 2 is a million times better than the frist game.
>>
>>329118373
Ok I really don't care about Uncharted. I basically agree. Nothing special about it. But why not make a thread about something you actually like?
>>
>>329131153
>But why not make a thread about something you actually like?

Those never get as many replies!
>>
They're great games that make you feel like you're playing in an action/adventure movie. Characters are well acted, writing is good fun, and I like the gameplay. It's all wrapped up in a well produced package. Uncharted 4 is the first game that's getting me to buy a ps4 because I love the series
>>
>>329121137

lets not forget a fucking solid multiplayer mode which is all gameplay.

some people seriously buy these games just for the multiplayer.
>>
>>329118373

>started with the first one

well that explains it, even Uncharted fans like myself will admit that the first was not a great game, even when it came out I enjoyed it but felt it was nothing more than a "good start". one of those games where you know they are testing the waters and the sequel will be great.

Uncharted 2 literally makes the first game look like a tech demo, it's way longer, better story, a ton of diverse locations, game play improvements Uncharted 2 is a fucking awesome ride.

Uncharted 3 is not as good as 2 but it's far from the train wreck /v/ makes it out to be. it falls into the weaker third act pit that most trilogies get ie. Godfather Part 3, Return of the Jedi, The Dark Knight Rises(for you) ect.
>>
>>329125643

I think what he meant was that the game features both prominently rather than at the same time and when playing the campaign they do flow into each other well and seamlessly.

the blend occurs more in multiplayer where every player is climbing around like monkeys, pulling campers down from ledges or hanging above a doorway and shooting from above whoever walks through it. the big difference between this and a lot of shooters is how nimble the characters are.
>>
>>329118373
first game is shit, 2 and 3 were really fucking cool. the setpieces are unmatched in any game. theres some okay platforming, some okay shooting, some okay puzzles. the characters are corny and funny.

if you are fan of indiana jones and similar adventure movies you will dig uncharted.

if it was on PC, the pcucks on /v/ would hail it as one of the best ever.
>>
>>329130396

this, for a game that is apparently a movie I don't think there is a single cutscene that clocks over five minutes. maybe one or two at the beginning and for fucks sake you can skip them if you "NEED SHOOTAN NAO!!!!"
>>
>>329121137
You also kill that many targets after playing an hour and a half of CoD zombies
>>
>>329120979

This. A best-o.
>>
>>329130883
Yep. I really don't get it. Never will.
>>
>>329131685
The multiplayer for four is really good. The single player could be terrible and I'd still be happy with the multiplayer.
>>
>>329134820
ive seen a little of the multiplayer and everyone looks smoother. Animations are different or something, did they change that much?
>>
>>329134960
Everything from three is gone, aside from loadouts. UC4 multiplayer moves much more like UC2MP. There is no sprint button, and the person with the best skill wins gunfights. It is the proper sequel to UC2's multiplayer. I really hope they don't mess it up. The lead multiplayer designer said something like "I'm not going to RUIN MY multiplayer ". That made me feel safe.
>>
>>329135759
Sounds better so far, i look forward to it. Hope co-op will be better too, i played that the most in Uncharted games. Especially if you have team mates that don't suck.
>>
>>329129691
>tightly crafted single player experiences
if by that you mean braindead linear experience then ok
>>
>>329130883
It's exactly the opposite, people praise it because it's an exclusive. If Tomb Raider was an exclusive people would praise it a lot more.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.