[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play the Homeworld games. Should I get the remastered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
I want to play the Homeworld games. Should I get the remastered edition, or play the original versions first?
>>
Remastered. It comes with the original versions and remastered versions.
>>
>>324274205
Buy remastered.
It has the older ones in it's package, play those.
Remastered fucked a few scenes up and messed with the music.
>>
>>324274716
>Buy
>Gearbox

lmao
>>
>>324274609
>>324274716
Does it include Cataclysm?
>>
>>324275157
No.
>>
>>324275157
Cataclysm was too good for this world
>>
The new Homeworld game looks neat. I have dream of a game like this. Like a 'ground control'awesome remake¡
>>
>>324275424
>>324275480
So what do?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwqd2Q49uc

Here's a pretty good review/comparison (comparison of mechanics, not graphics) of differences between the originals, though they're all still pretty playable by many accounts.

I'd get the remastered but on sale, it's a bit steep for 30$ bucks.

>>324275157
Nope, but as it's abandonware (practically) it's pretty easy to find a copy floating around on either torrent or sites that feature older games.
>>
>>324275758
dust off the oldé piratebay or dig out your original disk.

Shit still runs on modern systems, played through the entire game before remaster hit in celebration/preparation
>>
>>324275984
>>324276095
Thanks, I'll snoop around.
Is Cataclysm good? Is the campaign canon to Homeworld 2? Was it made by a different team?
I mean, if it's something like Diablo's Hellfire, I'm not really interested.
>>
>>324274205
Be careful. The "Homeworld 1" in the remastered edition uses the HW2 engine instead of the HW1 engine. A lot of oldfags, myself included, don't like it.

Fortunately, the original is also included, so if you don't mind the really old graphics, you can experience the original gameplay as well if you want to.

>>324276306
Cataclysm had a lot of great moments and was better than Homeworld 2 IMO.
>>
>>324276306
Story is really good, some regard it higher than the original's, especially the voice acting, they really knew how to deliver their lines.

I think its the only RTS game that's capable of giving you a horror feeling, shit's gud.

It was made by a different developer, out sourced I believe, but it holds up to the original in its own way.

As for it being canon has been a huge argument that's being going on for years.
However due to recent info from the new homeworld prequel game 'Deserts of Kharak' made by the original developer team reformed there is some hope to it being made canon due to the kiith somtaaw (The main clan/people in cataclysm) logo being present among the other kiiths (Kharak clans) on a vehicle.
>>
>>324276812
I don't mind old graphics.
Tell me, are there any differences between the original version of Homeworld and the 'original' version packaged with the Remastered Edition? Maybe additional bug fixes were introduced, or something like that?
>>
>>324277024
>As for it being canon has been a huge argument that's being going on for years.
>However due to recent info from the new homeworld prequel game 'Deserts of Kharak' made by the original developer team reformed there is some hope to it being made canon due to the kiith somtaaw (The main clan/people in cataclysm) logo being present among the other kiiths (Kharak clans) on a vehicle.
This is very interesting. Thank you.
>>
>>324276306
It's pretty good, holds it's own with the other campaigns. Though the relatively low population limit makes some aspects frustrating.

It's canon but not referenced if I remember right, or it may have been referenced in passing. I think the clan who you play as is mentioned in high regard but that's it. It was made by another team but again it holds up.

It does feel more "human" I suppose, the other two games' VA was decent but a little flat considering one of the major characters is practically a robot. The drama is much more down to earth as the premise is that your ship is a mining vessel that slowly, out of necessity for survival, becomes a warship. Same could be said of the other games to an extent but I guess it's much more upfront about it.
>>
File: 1424839002150.jpg (243 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1424839002150.jpg
243 KB, 900x900
>>324274205
>>
>>324277472
That's one of the best parts of the game

In homeworld your main character is an integrated human in the mothership, pretty much losing most of her humanity in the process, so she comes off as a bit deadpan and robotic. So your human voice of reason would be central command, and all the pilots and fighters are trained military personnel etc.

In cataclysm you start out as miners and slowly turn into warriors, and its fuckin' great because the speech patterns are more casual and way less military and formal.

Definitely give it a go, if only to experience the story, but don't think its gonna be a cakewalk, cataclysm can get stupid hard and frustrating, never stop managing your resources for the best, and every ship counts.
>>
>>324276306
Story is good
Gameplay is ass
game runs at 25fps most of the time because the engine is so shitty. All ships and shit are built out of a pause menu. The game literally looks and feels like a homeworld game that was in Alpha stages and wasn't fully developed. Most of the models have awful textures/AA compared to even HW1. Theres no UI. At all. Period. You build/research out of the pause menu.

Had some pretty cool mechanics and stuff but seriously on the whole it was an annoying experience with the story keeping you interested.
>>
Glad to see it works on Win7 with no tweaking.
>>
>>324278196
>game runs at 25fps most of the time because the engine is so shitty.

You best be joking nigger. The gameplay is fine and the engine was incredibly sophisticated for it's time. The game looks old because it's running on the original 1999 HW1 engine.

>Most of the models have awful textures/AA compared to even HW1.

No, the HW1 assets used in HWC are identical and the new assets are very comparable, if better with larger ships.
>>
>>324277080
Is that not what I already said? The remastered HW1 uses the HW2 game engine and plays like HW2 in a lot of ways. It's not really a bad thing. If you're playing primarily for the story, you'll probably never notice.

The original HW1 has different mechanics, the most noticeable being how fighters and corvettes behave, including requiring periodic refueling.
>>
>>324277080
The classic version that comes packaged may have one or two bug fixes, but no one really talks about it. Guess that means it's close enough to the original version.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-17+at+08.49.55).jpg (140 KB, 1341x554) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-17+at+08.49.55).jpg
140 KB, 1341x554
Found the Kiith image part of the video.

Them putting Somtaaw right next to the S'jet is kind of a big deal since the Somtaaw were a tiny kiith with some miners while the others were huge clans of warriors, engineers or scientists.

Hoping there's some Soban and Somtaaw action in the game
>>
What about that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQc4ZkVeMY
>>
>>324279076
>Is that not what I already said?
No, I was talking about the original version included in the Remastered Edition, not the remastered version of the game.
This guy got it: >>324279273.
>>
>>324279456
Oh, my bad. Sorry.
>>
>>324275758
For real, go pirate them. The Remaster butchers the original game to the point where its literally broken and isn't worth $40 in the slightest.
>>
>>324279328
Well, pre-unification we know nothing about Somtaaw and Kiith S'jet hasn't arisen to a famous status yet.
>>
>>324278196
Did you play on a modern system? It can run like ass without some tweaks.

Though the UI didn't bother me it's a valid complaint.
>>
>>324279076
HW1 RM uses HW2 difficulty scaling in campaign so if you enjoy salvaging when it actually works and your friendly units don't destroy the salvage ship then I also hope you enjoy an ass raping in the following mission.
>>
File: homeworld.jpg (646 KB, 1080x1000) Image search: [Google]
homeworld.jpg
646 KB, 1080x1000
>>324279273
>>324277080
There is one further change, one that bothers me but probably does not bother anyone else, and that is the removal of the song "Homeworld" by Yes from the ending credits. The song was composed specifically for the game, and for a Yes fan it's removal is painful. But then again, you can just watch the final credits in their original glory here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJkoBNOPvjU
Aside from that, the "classic" Homeworld 1 bundled with the remaster is identical with the original Homeworld released in 1999 aside from a bunch of compatibility and bugfixing patches.

It's mechanically superior to the Remaster, and also features better voiceacting (the original voiceacting has been remade for Remaster and they aren't quite as good, especially things like soldier "barks". It's not a pretty looker though.

For someone who has not played the Original 1999 version of the game, I guess playing the Remaster is not a bad experience. For die-heart fans, the Remaster was quite a bit of a disappointment though.

Oh yeah: everything I just wrote applies to Homeworld 1 ONLY. Homeworld 2 Remaster is just in every way better than the original, and there is no point in going back with it. Sadly, Homeworld 2 is not all that good game in it's core.
>>
>love Homeworld 2
>Can't get past the third mission because I spend too much time watching the ships rather than actually managing anything
>>
>>324280208

Hm, I salvaged everything and never really noticed anything different. If anything, HW1 remastered seemed easier than the original, when I played it way back. Not sure if it's the changes or just me being a scrub back then.

I like remastered because of the redone cinematics. Was always my favorite part of the game.

>>324280269
This bothered me the most. I had to go to YouTube and play that song right after I finished the game.
>>
Prepare to be angry at blatantly cheating AI.
>>
>>324280554
>This bothered me the most. I had to go to YouTube and play that song right after I finished the game.
Yeah, it's sad. But in all due credit, that is not Gearbox'es fault. The current owner of the Ladder record was just being an absolute bitch and could not be reasoned with.
>>
So is anyone else completely unexcited for the new "Home world" top-down RTS?
>>
>>324282384
Its still 3D, just groundbased.

for example, being on top of hills/cliffs increases your range and you can use the environment to avoid direct line of fire etc.

Its a bit more complex than you think.
>>
>>324280936
Record labels are infamously difficult to work with when it comes to licenses. It's not surprising that the asking price was far too high.
>>
>>324279927
I recall Somtaaw being a religious kiith and their leader had a vision and they became miners?
Also S'jet was also always important considering they helped end the Heressy wars
>>
>>324274205
Buy the remastered
Play the original version of HW1
Pirate Cataclysm/find a vintage copy
Play Remastered 2
>>
>>324282974
It's Ground Control III: Land Carriers

Mite be cool
>>
>>324274205
OP, if you are still around, this is important:
READ THE FUCKING MANUAL.
Not because of gameplay instructions (the game has decent-enough tutorials and stuff), but because the manual itself contains better world building that vast majority of modern games have. Seriously, it's a short read, it will give you insight into the background of the story, and it's really quite amazingly well written. Plus, it contains a lot of "sneaky" (not obvious, but useful) gameplay tips and hints.
>>
File: IMG-20160117-00224.jpg (500 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160117-00224.jpg
500 KB, 2592x1944
>>324284912
This, probably the nicest game manual I've ever owned
>>
>>324285207
Original Starcraft manual's pretty great too. Got them the same day.
>>
>>324284394
Somtaaw were basically the tourism Kiith until planet-wide wars cut off their audience. One of their leaders had a dream and it sort of pointed them in the direction of a really rich mineral vein, and they suddenly became the best manufacturers of steel on Kharak.

http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Kiith_Somtaaw

>>324285207
>>324285328
You folks shoulda played more flight sims.
>>
Play the originals.

Get Cataclysm.
>>
>>324285207
mine fell apart when I was a kid from reading through it too much

they put that shit together with some serious love. I'm pumped to play DoK
>>
>>324284498
pretty much, I drew that parallel myself earlier today when I watched a dev gameplay video
>>
>>324285763
Actually, they flat out spell it out for you. "The two games outside of original Homeworld that we draw most parallels to are original Dune and Ground Control."
>>
M-Mothership.
>>
>>324286113
BEING KILLED BY AN ANCIENT MONSTER IS AS GOOD AS ANOTHER
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.