[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>E3 2014 >Nintendo announces a press-only 3DS reveal roundtable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
File: l9dcwjwxe2wh2jrrtm4a.jpg (818 KB, 950x529) Image search: [Google]
l9dcwjwxe2wh2jrrtm4a.jpg
818 KB, 950x529
>E3 2014
>Nintendo announces a press-only 3DS reveal roundtable
>media won't shut about it being Majora 3D
>everybody is worked up and anticipation high
>hear it's an Intelligent Systems game
>hype is beyond real now as everybody thinks it's a new Awakening-style FE game
>game is unveiled and it's this
>hype insta-killed
>Internet immediately goes on a tirade bashing the game for everything they see wrong with it
>"the visuals look like playskool crap"
>"who the fuck is this marketed for?"
>"I don't care about literary characters!"
>"Steampunk is dead"
>"where the fuck is Majora goddamnit?!"
>NOA markets the game regardless and does a decent job of getting info out there
>hires well-known and established VAs to do the voice acting
>game utilizes 3DS capabilities fairly well
>demo drops and people who bother seem to like it, but game is still largely panned by the media and gamers
>Nintendo announces lots of add-ons and perks to entice players, including amiibo functionality with Fire Emblem
>game gets pretty good reviews, but the biggest gripe is the "enemy turns" issue
>this becomes the central focus of the game bashing
>game finally launches and sells a measly 300,000 copies
>Nintendo patches out the issues with the game very quickly
>hosts tournaments to push the online deathmatch mode
>drops price of the game to $30 to push sales
>it develops a small, dedicated fanbase for a few months
>slowly forgotten to time
>game quickly drops to $15 bargain bins, one of the only first or second party Nintendo 3DS titles to do so
>Nintendo buries the game so deep over the course of the year that nobody even remembers it exists
>focus shifts to Splatoon and, learning from their mistakes, Splatoon goes on to become a multi-million seller
>Splatoon is now a guaranteed "forever IP" with the likes of Mario and Zelda
>Steam is not even mentioned or referenced in Smash 4
>it will forever be a forgotten Nintendo game

...it's actually really good, guys
>>
>>324260197
I still contend that if this game was given a little more development time, had a more dedicated/varied online multiplayer, and was moved to the Wii U with HD graphics... all the Nintendo fans would still be playing it today.

That and the blueballs reveal absolutely did not help. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with that one by hyping up that stupid roundtable. EVERYBODY thought it was going to be Majora's Mask 3D. NOTHING would have looked good after dropping the bomb that we weren't getting a Majora reveal.
>>
File: scarecrow.png (122 KB, 278x511) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow.png
122 KB, 278x511
If only.
>>
>>324260197
should've been a Wii U game. 3ds has too many options and this game didn't stand out
>>
>>324260546
It sold 1.800 copies in Japan....

It will never appear in anything else ever again
>>
This game didn't deserve it's fate. Once you get past the art style the game is dope as fuck.
>>
This game and Wonderful 101 are proof that the faggots who whine about Nintendo releasing the same shit over and over don't actually buy video games.
>>
>>324260197
I actually just got this game for Christmas and I really love it.

Why the fuck is Tom Sawyer so bad? I'm at like chapter 7 and I can't find a reason to use him.
>>
>>324260197
>>game finally launches and sells a measly 300,000 copies
I am damn sure it sold much less than that.
>>
>>324261458
I used him a lot when I first got him, give him a good sub weapon and he can tear shit up with his high steam. The punch gun is pretty good for only costing one steam too.
>>
>>324261238
While I do agree the 3ds library was full of srpgs and is still getting more.

The game has to appeal to people too you know? With this game being a steam punk on the 3ds I didn't see it having much of an audience.
>>
>>324261458
Give him the scout boiler. The default boiler for light units sucks ass.
>>
>>324261967
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-code-name-s.t.e.a.m.-sold-just-31000-units-in-north-america

Damnnnnnnnn! I was so far off, and now I'm disgusted

>>324262259
Give him the mine layer. He's really good at sneaking into a spot, popping enemies out of sight with the punch gun, and then laying mines on retreat. I use him quite a bit with the scout boiler

>>324262359
This game was definitely struggling to find its audience. If it released a few years back when shit like Lovecraft, zombies, and steampunk were still big, it would've done better.
>>
>>324261238
>>324260861
This and this, 100%.

This is why we get Mario and Zelda rehashes all the time.

For every Splatoon or Kid Icarus Uprising, there's a dozen Codename Steams, Wonderful 101s, and Chibi Robos. Sad fate of most Nintendo IPs.

Even shit like Game and Wario and DKC Tropical Freeze "flopped." Nintendo is terrible at marketing their non-Mario titles, and gamers are awful human beings who don't actually enjoy anything fun or new.
>>
>>324260197
>hosts tournaments to push the online deathmatch mode

Didn't even know the game had online.

Anyway, I tried the demo, art style and concept didn't really click, got bored. Never looked back.

Maybe I would have tried it again if the FE characters weren't locked behind damned amiibo.
>>
>>324262359
>the 3ds library was full of srpgs and is still getting more
Yeah, top down shit in the vein of fire emblem. How many other Valkyria Chronicles knock offs does it have? How many other Valkyria Chronicles knock offs exist AT ALL? And yet despite that game being fairly popular for an animu SRPG, the first game to try and expand on its formula in years flopped hard.
>>
>>324260197
as this anon says >>324260861 The art style killed the game. The art style looks like a jap dev made this mocking the west with all its steryotypes. It looks super awful (art style)
>>
>>324263741
I agree its a fresh and cool concept but if you can't grasp the audience you can have the legit best game of all time and will still sell bad.

The aesthetic it had hurt it more than help. Even though the game is great. I didn't even like these types of games but the demo was refreshing.
>>
>>324264124
I'm pretty sure the aesthetic is entirely to blame for the failure. Nintendo made the dumb mistake of thinking that superheroes being popular meant people like comics. Of course comics are a completely fucking dead medium, people just like capeshit in movies, so their neat little Mignola meets Kirby art style just made everyone turn up their noses.
>>
>>324260197
>>hear it's an Intelligent Systems game
>>hype is beyond real now

Why do people still trust those hacks after Sticker Star, Game & Wario and fucking Awakening?
>>
>>324264526
Awakening was meant to close out the entire series and be full of fanservice, when keeping that in mind, it was fine. Its not its fault that filling fire emblem with fanservice and making the game easy ended up being exactly what Fire Emblem needed to become a mainstream hit resulting in the series now going full on dating sim.
>>
IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT
it's not even ironic shit like indie retro pixelshit but just plain ugly shit
>>
>>324263275
>Chibi Robos
Maybe if the game wasn't a boring piece of shit.
>>
>>324260197
The game is utter shit. I sold that back to gamestop after a week. Im so glad I didnt buy the digital version.
>>
Splatoon outsold it within hours
>>
>Nintendo announces lots of add-ons and perks to entice players, including amiibo functionality with Fire Emblem

Amiibos which at the time almost nobody had even if they were willing to buy those hunks of plastic.
>>
>Noa markets it

Stopped reading right there
>>
>Steam is not even mentioned or referenced in Smash 4

I didn't even notice this. Picked it up for $20 new, it's pretty good at that price. Shame too, because it's unique.
>>
>this game will be forgotten
>we will never get a more polished sequel with Paul Bunyan, Huck Finn, Pecos Bill and the Wicked Witch joining the team

Feels horrible man. NoAs shit marketing killed this game just to push loli squids. A WiiU or NX sequel would be amazing but it's never going to happen
>>
>>324265532
They didn't even release the NFC reader for old 3DS systems until much later too, so only people who just shelled out for a N3DS could even use them
>>
Played the demo when it came out. Game looked great and I wish I had money to buy it then. Didn't hear a single word about the game outside of /v/ though. Honestly I thought the majority of Fire emblem's fanbase would of been all over this, they seemed to be uninterested though.
>>
>>324265532

More like, the fire emblem amiibos were impossible to get at the launch of codename steam
>>
>>324260197
Maybe the game just isn't good. Its fucking boring, and the 3DS just sets a substandard when it comes to quality to a lot of people on this board.
>>
>>324260197
Game was fucking amazing. So glad I decided to buy it out of the blue.

Reminder that everyone a best except for Dorothy who is grade A shit.
>>
>>324260541
>Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with that one by hyping up that stupid roundtable.
They didn't. The media hyped it up.

I have no idea why anyone thought it would be MM3D, why the fuck would that not be announced during the direct?
>>
>>324266341
That's what I said
>>
File: yfw.png (37 KB, 255x52) Image search: [Google]
yfw.png
37 KB, 255x52
Hi. I am one of the reasons the game failed.
>>
This is a trend that will continue, video games are finished.
>>
>>324266932
it has happened all the time anon
>>
>>324266879
Patched.
>>
>>324267230

It launched with that horrible nonsense.

Patching it after the game becomes irrelevant solves nothing.
>>
>>324266879
>Alien movement starts
>Browse /v/ while occasionally glancing at the screen to see where the aliens move off to

Turning mistakes into miracles.
>>
>people bitch that Nintendo never does new IPs
>Nintendo announces new IP
>People bitch and moan that it's not a sequel/remake
>Nintendo announces new IP
>nobody buys it because people were bitching and moaning about it not being a sequel/remake
>Nintendo decides to stick to sequels/remakes because that actually makes them money
>people bitch that Nintendo never does new IPs

It's a vicious cycle.

>>324267345
It got patched less than two weeks after release.
>>
>>324266879

>have new 3DS
>push R to fast forward
>2-4 second max turn times

feels good
>>
>Those shit heads that kept bitching about the game art style through the release

I hate the Nintendo fanbase sometimes.
>>
>>324267449

Like I said. Patching it after it becomes irrelevant solves nothing.
>>
>>324260197
I'm curious. I never quite encoded in my mind that this game was real since E3, and I still don't really believe that this game exists. The ugly artstyle and ridiculous presentation, plus the clunky title all suggests some third party shovelware game, so my mind just rejected its existence as a fact.
>>
>>324263275
Good games like this always fail.

It's a damn surprise how Golden Sun sold well on the GBA.

And it's less of fans wanting rehashes but more of 'rehash this instead'

Why do you think Metroid fans are gigantic whiners
>>
>>324267345
I would agree with you but lets not pretend anyone was buying this shit on release, this was definitely a "wait for the reviews" game.
>>
>Tfw you feel bad and OP convineced you to get the game

It's dirt cheap on Amazon, so I'll get it later this week, OP.
>>
>>324267761

I was interested until I tried the demo and saw the alien turn times.

Lost interest immediately.

Also, does the respawning enemies happen in the actual game or was that a demo only thing?
>>
>>324267846
I feel the same way anon, I´ll buy it today to get it in like a month with my Trails of Cold Steel Because fuck third world
>>
>>324260197
I think they should have toned down the steampunk theme a bit and focused more on the golden age comics look. I had a lot of fun with the demo and will probably pick it up some day if I can find it for cheap.
>>
>Enjoy the game while I played it
>get stressed out from all the planning and strategizing I had to do
>put it down and can't pick it back up
>>
>>324267656
>It's a damn surprise how Golden Sun sold well on the GBA.
It didn't look like shit maybe.
>>
>>324267967
I recall that some missions that if you dragged it out monsters would begin to spawn in
>>
>>324267967
There's hella respawning enemies when I'm trying to finish up a level, going around and hitting all the extra props to see if anything falls out or where the gears are hidden.
>>
Does the camera move to an overhead view or move to the aliens that are moving during the alien turn now? Or am I still stuck staring at a wall while the aliens move?

Someone must know.

That was fucking awful in the demo.
>>
>>324268295
>staring at a wall

the idea is that you want to position yourself so that you AREN'T staring at a wall

it makes sense once you get used to it
>>
>>324268293
>>324268252

Then fuck this game. Instant garbage. I was thinking about getting it now that it is patched to not be so fucking slow.

Nope.
>>
>>324267449
Literally what is Splatoon.
Maybe make a game that actually appeals to people and you won't deal with this bullshit.
>>
>>324268410
git gud white boy
>>
>>324260197
I bought this day 1.
Any srpg by Intelligent Systems is going to be good.
I love the not Valkria Chronicles gameplay.
While I absolutely hate Will Wheaton the VA was fine.

Great game OP.
>>
>>324268410
What's it like to be too casual for a modern Nintendo game?
>>
File: 1441224304414.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1441224304414.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>324260197
as sad as it is, it's nothing really special. I kept getting urges to play turn based strategy games that were a lot better than CN:S while I was playing it like xcom/fire emblem/valkyria chronicles because it takes elements from all of them but doesn't do anything interesting with them

its certainly worth the bargin bin price that its at now, and a sequel could have ironed out a lot of the problems that it had but it's not in the same league as the genre greats (even though the developers are responsible for making 2 of the best series in the genre)
>>
>>324268601
>Will Wheaton
Thankfully I didn't find this out until after I finished the game.
>>
File: 1353339641795.png (125 KB, 386x318) Image search: [Google]
1353339641795.png
125 KB, 386x318
>>324260197
No one likes Steampunk.

Steampunk is objectively the worst genre ever conceived.

The visuals ARE CRAP. It looks like N64 garbage. Worse than most 3DS games with subpar graphics. All the alien enemies are blue polygons because the designer was dumb as fuck and thought the 3DS couldn't handle displaying enemies clearly. Same issue as Next Level Cucks who could barely reach 30 FPS when Luigi sucked 2 or 3 ghosts at the same time in Dark Moon, or the fugly chibi soldiers in FedForce because "The 3DS can't handle human sized models in this scaled setting".

Yeah, 2 YT vids are what constitutes excellent marketing by NoA, according to you.

>Well-known VAs

One of which people have an axe to grind with because of some SJW bullshit.

>patched the turn issue after release

The fact that they released the game as is and only fixed it after weeks of bitching just shows how much they gave a shit.

Unintelligent Systems went about making this game arrogantly to be "different". They copied western artstyles but failed miserably at it, and justify the whole thing as them "teaching Japan about American literature history". The hubris is absolutely unreal.

The game is fucking shit and it deserved to die, and nothing your contrarian nintendrone self can say to change that. Alternatively, keep sucking Unintelligent System's dick more because you seem content with the awful track record they've been employing since 2007. I'm sure you thought Sticker Star and Awakening were fine and dandy too, and that the rest of us are "piddly poo poo gamers who don't give new things a chance". Get. The fuck. Out of here.

Splatoon was an IP people actually gave a shit about because it was a GOOD IDEA. It had good appeal. This crap has none of that. Obscure Nintendo IPs fail because its shit no one cares about. Who cares about submarines? Who the fuck cares about shitty games like Zip Trash and FlingSmash? Jesus H. Christ,
>>
>>324268639

Respawning enemies are always garbage.

On any game.
>>
>>324260197
>"who the fuck is this marketed for?"
This, really. The game is just Xcom with THAT aesthetic. Who would ever want that? Not even comicfags like that art style anymore.
>>
File: 468.png (173 KB, 399x381) Image search: [Google]
468.png
173 KB, 399x381
>>324268787
>>
>>324267656
It sold decently because it was the only jrpg on a new system

That game is also ugly too
>>
>>324268787
Steampunk is awesome, you fagget. The problem is that the game looks like discount silver age superhero stuff, not like steampunk.
>>
>>324260197
>Splatoon is now a guaranteed "forever IP" with the likes of Mario and Zelda
You're insulting Mario and Zelda comparing that game to them.
>>
>>324268862
They spawn far behind you to the point that if you're keeping a steady pace they should never reach you. Otherwise you could just endlessly abuse Overwatch.

tl;dr get gud
>>
>>324268976
He talks like a faggot but he is right you know
>>
>>324268987
The game looked really damn well at the time, and it had a fantastic ost and a really dynamic battle system, that's why it flew off the shelves. BTW, nww Camelot RPG fucking when? Reboot Shining Force already, you niggers!
>>
>>324261238
It's proof that people still demand a good game when they ask for something new.
>>
File: 423.png (243 KB, 351x470) Image search: [Google]
423.png
243 KB, 351x470
>>324269174
>>
They patched it but its still slower than I want it. The problem is that handhelds are not waiting games. If this game was on the Wii U no one would complain about the turn time. Also I feel while the idea of Abe Lincoln and all those folklore character is weird I think they went a bit over the top. There's a line of being too wacky and I think they did cross it.
>>
>>324270127
> The problem is that handhelds
Ever heard of the Advance Wars or Fire Emblem series?
>>
>>324269234
W101 was better than bayo2 which all the other consolefags keep begging for
>>
>>324270127
>The problem is that handhelds are not waiting games.
Japan sure doesn't think so.
>>
>>324269149
Not that anon but I always tried to get the extras in every map in the demo and the alien movement shit made that horrible. Especially since I'm newer to these types of games in general. Made the demo very frustrating.

How should I play this? Just rush and make it to the end as fast as possible?
>>
>>324267345

This, look at ro2. Osfront 41-45 used to have tens of thousands of players at once but ro2 was in the thousands within a few weeks and never recovered.
>>
>>324270236
Their movements are much faster pace than in Codename Steam. In Steam they walk weirdly moving side to side like they are thinking of moving which is pretty damn annoying. And you can turn off battle animations to make it even faster in FE.
>>324270484
Maybe some games but not with tactical games. Having to wait for the enemies to get into their position feels like it takes way more time than it should.
>>
File: 1429283648129.jpg (235 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1429283648129.jpg
235 KB, 1000x1200
I had tons of fun with this game. I put in 80 hours going through the story once and then a second time on hard mode.

It's hard for me to describe why I liked it so much since taste in these kinds of games is subjective, but if you like games in the vein of Valkyria Chronicles or Xcom, you'll enjoy this.
>>
File: 1422593711902.png (119 KB, 172x326) Image search: [Google]
1422593711902.png
119 KB, 172x326
>>324260197
My only wish is they had gone more Fire Emblem with it, like Nintendo-branded League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You got all these heroes of classic American literature interacting, I figure give them more personal interactions.

But I guess that's a tall order for a Japanese studio to make.
>>
>>324270576
I was able to get most gears in a level just by playing it normally, but some you'll have to dedicate a run to getting. Anyways, the way I'd usually play it is keep the squad very close together (unless you're against AoE enemies) and make sure at least one or two people have an overwatch attack to spare. I don't think I ever had enemy reinforcements reach me playng like this.
>>
>>324270902
>Dorothy was cute as fuck
>absolute worst weapon in the game
it's not fair
>>
>>324271529
>Game all about hitting weakspots on enemies (except for explosions which are great for AOE)
>Give her a weapon that sprays fucking everywhere for mediocre damage

What were they thinking. She'd be a great character if it was mid-range rapid fire with focused firing, but with that shit spread she'll always end up doing mediocre damage.

Also her super is complete shit.

Tom is better in every way.
>>
>>324260197
that artstyle, tho. How the hell does a professional art director look at those garish colors and that cheap photoshop halftone overlay and think "yeah, that'll be immediately appealing to people"?
>>
>>324271529
She doesn't have the ragnell though
>>
File: cdnmstm.jpg (275 KB, 950x529) Image search: [Google]
cdnmstm.jpg
275 KB, 950x529
>>
>>324273591
Looks much better, tee bee aych
>>
File: pikmi--eugh.jpg (298 KB, 1000x423) Image search: [Google]
pikmi--eugh.jpg
298 KB, 1000x423
As a massive Lovecraft nerd, this game was like a dream. Nintendo acknowledging Shub-Niggurath, Hounds of Tindalos, and Nyarlathotep? Im-fucking-possible.
But here we are, discussing this game. They even have Randolph Carter (Voiced by Rusty fucking Venture, no less). It's got some good character and enemy designs, as well as an insane difficulty at some points, too.
It sucks that it will never, EVER, see the light of day again.
>>
What I think is really sad is that I'm sure Nintendo gave IS lots of money (they still made it cheaper than a lot of companies just in case it didn't work out) after the success of Awakening. Kind of like a gift so they made Steam as something they wanted to do. Sadly it didn't work out as well as they wanted it and most likely Nintendo won't let them off their leash again.
>>
File: Surprised Koichi.png (102 KB, 327x479) Image search: [Google]
Surprised Koichi.png
102 KB, 327x479
>>324274957
Which sucks, because all we'll see from them now is just waifu after waifu. It's safe and it sells.
>>
>>324274957
It's their own fault.
>>
I meant to buy it. I just never got around to it.
I really liked the demo, even in spite of the long waiting times.
Shit, I think I'll pick it up when I get paid. That or wait until EB has it on sale for 35 bucks again instead of 60.
>>
>>324276867
Do it. If you like strategy games like that, you'll probably enjoy this game. Just be prepared to get yo ass whupped by Berserkers.
>>
I played, it's the poor's man valkyria chronicles with a quirky artstyle with the bonus of nonstop respawning aliens and unskipable enemy turns.
Pretty much what killed PXZ aswell for me, tons of fanservice but you pass more time on maps that never fucking end.
>>
>>324260197
lets not forget its one of the many ips nintnedo made that people ignore when they mention splatoon as the first new nintendo ip since pikmin

how is it that everyone thinks nintendo never makes new ips, even those fags on gamexplain complained about nintendo not making new ips, when they did a playthrough of steams demo.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aqj7EsThJo
>>
>>324277625
Splatoon had a gigantic ad campaign, this didn't.
>>
>>324276867
Just so you're aware they did patch in a fast forward feature on enemy turns.
>>
>>324260197
The artstyle could have been better, they tried to replicate Silver Age comics and Mike Mignola but it just ended up looking like Rescue Heroes. The unskippable enemy turn sequences were slow (shouldn't be a problem now because IIRC there was a patch that sped it up). I do have to applaud the game for having Randolph fucking Carter
>>
>>324277810
I do not mean steam I mean failed nintendo ips in general
wonderful 101 which for some reason people think is a platinum ip
pushmo
steel diver
there have been a bunch of failed games its just retarded that people willfully ignore the flops and treat splatoon like the first new ip
>>
>>324260197
didn't it only sell like 30k in the opening week or some shit?
>>
File: 1434904597166.png (21 KB, 176x232) Image search: [Google]
1434904597166.png
21 KB, 176x232
>>324267656
>TFW we got Mario Tennis Ultra Smash instead of Golden Sun 4

One day Camelot...
>>
>>324277810
Splatoon had a gigantic ad campaign because it deserved a gigantic ad campaign though. Those things cost a ton of money, so you can't go advertising products that are obviously not going to do well at all whatever you do.
>>
>>324277810
Both Splatoon and STEAM were revealed at the same E3 with playable demos, everyone thought Splatoon was fun and promising, everyone thought STEAM looked and played like dogshit.
>>
File: Eternal-Darkness-8-1024x768.jpg (96 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Eternal-Darkness-8-1024x768.jpg
96 KB, 1024x768
>>324274478
Thoughts on the other Lovecraft inspired game published by Nintendo?
>>
>>324278014
Nintendo games tend to be called "evergreen" because even if a game sells low it will keep selling forever and ever. Animal Crossing is still one of the best selling 3DS game in Japan even years after the game was launched.
>>324278216
Splatoon was show off at the Direct while Steam was shown off behind close doors. And the demo had the annoying waiting thing because it wasn't patched yet.

Hell I'm still shocked IS thought the enemy movement was alright and didn't just hold the game back a month to make it faster. I mean IS knows strategy games so they should have knew better.
>>
>>324278012
Those never had didn't had a any kind of ads aswell maybe a direct and a couple of youtube videos, like what the fuck are they expecting?
"Yeah this new IP no heard about lets just put some trailers and never put any tv or street ads, NO WORRIES IT WILL SELL"
Word of mouth only works en mass for indies that make social commentary now even if they suck.
>>
>>324268190
>implying
>>
>>324260197
It is really bad. I have no idea what you are talking about. You could see how shit it was from the demo. I feel sorry for the people who had to review that trash.
>>
>>324278583
See: >>324278096
The only time they did that "NO WORRIES IT WILL SELL" approach was with the Wii U itself, because they were drunk by the Wii's success, so they fucked it up big time.
>>
File: OH GOD.png (200 KB, 445x518) Image search: [Google]
OH GOD.png
200 KB, 445x518
>>324278412
Best sanity system. 2nd Place goes to Dark Corners of the Earth. It gets a little Lovecraft Lite at certain points, but overall a good GCN horror game.
>>
>>324278521
>IS thought the enemy movement was alright and didn't just hold the game back a month to make it faster.

Remember that Awakening's models don't have feet while Fates' models do have feet because they figured out the 3DS was more powerful than they thought, in the middle of Awakening development, but didn't want to go back to fix it.
>>
>>324278521
so something like seeing a game constantly sell 25k-40k (averal flop rate) every week wouldn't be uncommon?
>>
Nintendo is one of the largest gaming companies in the world, how the hell do they not have focus group testing down to a science and why have they not revamped their entire marketing team? They were a POWERHOUSE in the 90s with their marketing schemes, but now they can't seem to figure out their demographic and just push games out to die when they get initial bad reactions. They'd save a lot of fucking money if they invested more in community insight and just general fucking market trends.
>>
>>324260197
I only played them demo, but this game was atrocious on every level.

Cluttered aesthetics, clunky controls, insipid storyline and tedious gameplay (enemy turn was fixed too late and proves they barely experienced their own game).
>>
>>324278521
>Nintendo games tend to be called "evergreen"
That only works for the main stuff, you won't see shit like Devil's Third, W101 or this selling bonkers forever.
>>
>>324279229
>Devil's Third
>Nintendo game
>>
>>324279146
>clunky controls
come on nigga
>>
File: 1451704782962.jpg (24 KB, 635x475) Image search: [Google]
1451704782962.jpg
24 KB, 635x475
XB:C on NA eshop when?

It's like they don't want my money
>>
>>324267449
>be nintendo
>be rapidly losing your ability to make good games
>too incompetent to generally create any new game from ground-up.
>resign to simply creating watered-down versions of classics made in a time of competency.

It's not that hard to figure out.
>>
Well its clear that someone at Intelligent Systems did their research on Lovecraft with this game.
>>
>>324279350
I remember handling like a broken-axle dump truck trying to navigate a college dorm room.
>>
Game should have had more pedobait if they wanted it to sell
>>
>place a banana on the ground
>the blind aliens still walk around it
What is the point of this weapon?
>>
>>324279704
Please go back to wherever you came from
>>
>>324269043
Fuck off underageb&. Steampunk is literally the worst -punk genre. It /should/ be about colonialism and steam-based technology. Instead, it's about fucking ayylamoliens and magical sorcery with a brass covering. Dieselpunk doesn't do that shit, cyberpunk doesn't do that shit, yet steampunk has no idea what it's trying to do and shits the bed every time. There hasn't been a single good steampunk anything in the history of steampunk.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLO44y2IqE
>>
File: Engi-Tan came.png (64 KB, 308x412) Image search: [Google]
Engi-Tan came.png
64 KB, 308x412
>>324279974
Exactly why I bought the STEAM 3DS theme.
>>
File: The fuck.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
The fuck.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>324279915
>Dieselpunk
>>
File: 1449177037032.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449177037032.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>324267570

It only helps if your system is in such a massive drought that owners will hang onto one single game's patches to try convince others and create a placebo that "ITS GETTING BETTER AND IMPROVING".

Over 1 year later and Driveclub is still awful but it has an internet shill defense force because of those placebo patches.

If 3DS wasn't getting a decent amount of better titles at the same time. Nintendo fanboys would have given it a better shake.
>>
>>324280126
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk
Dieselpunk is a thing. It's better than steampunk in every way possible unless you like the "look at me I'm so British and quirky! XDD" thing steampunk has going for it.
>>
File: 1441946084055.png (195 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1441946084055.png
195 KB, 510x346
How do they keep putting out games like this? Same with Fed Force and Sticker Star, it's stuff that's not necessarily outright bad but just comes out of left field. Then it gets a bad initial reaction and they drop all support for it, all because they didn't think about what would sell at the time. Are they just always trying to start the new big thing and failing?
>>
File: 1452991153765.png (482 KB, 556x708) Image search: [Google]
1452991153765.png
482 KB, 556x708
>>324278012
Steel Diver sucked, Sub Wars however was underrated
>>
>>324280627
>Are they just always trying to start the new big thing and failing?
Probably.
>>
>>324263275
>Codename Steams, Wonderful 101s, and Chibi Robos.

Maybe because those games are fucking shit hmm?
>>
>>324280627
The people that grew up with nintendo tend to be the loudest in terms of reaction to stuff. They wanted news of Fedora's Mask, didn't get it, and then got even angrier when STEAM was announced as a thing. Thus it got an initial bad reaction. Couple that with the game being subpar at best, and you have the entire internet dogpiling on an easy target for clickb8 & h8. Even more so with Federation Force; after Other M killed the franchise, fans were hoping for Metroid, and expected something, anything, related to either Prime or the 2D games. Instead, they got some spinoff that seemed as though metroid was tacked on as an afterthought and went ballistic.
>>
File: WVW69iR_nHM36cFQz5.jpg (149 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
WVW69iR_nHM36cFQz5.jpg
149 KB, 400x240
>>
>>324281003
Chibi robo wasn't shit, the spin-offs were. It has a cult following on /v/ and I assume other places. W101 was a solid action game, what was wrong with it?
>>
>>324280698
If only Sub Wars had a decent Matchmaking system.
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt1.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt1.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt2.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt2.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
>>324281381
How atmospheric does this game get?
>>
>>324281282
I really hate how shitty these battles were.
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt3.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt3.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
>>324281381
>If only Sub Wars had a decent Matchmaking system.
I really wanted to like Sub Wars, but with the constant teleporting Jap subs and direct hits that weren't actually hits, coupled with getting hit by nothing, I couldn't justify it.

>>324281381
It's like I'm really looking at American character design, but with more effort put in.
>>
>>324260541
I really don't think moving it to the Wii U would give it a longer lifespan.
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt4.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt4.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
File: 1439134091458.png (743 KB, 1384x1496) Image search: [Google]
1439134091458.png
743 KB, 1384x1496
>>324281216
It sucks, but as a company that's something you have to deal with. You have to pay marketers and strategists to chart out when to make announcements and what games need to be fast-tracked.
This shit happens every year. They hype something up, people expect a big franchise, they don't get it and flip out. People aren't going to change, your strategy needs to change. Splatoon was barely shown when it was first announced, but it took off and they advertised it organically after that, which is the strategy they should take for all of these titles. An initial bad reaction is a death sentence when only the biggest games get coverage.
>>
File: 323946929.jpg (275 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
323946929.jpg
275 KB, 1024x768
>>324260197
it could be great if it wasn't for that good awful graphics
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt5.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt5.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
File: CodeNameSteamConceptArt6.png (1 MB, 1000x738) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamConceptArt6.png
1 MB, 1000x738
>>
>>324279068
Can't personally say. But pointing out sales numbers for Nintendo software tends not to be always the best way to view success. However them dropping the price is however is something that should be noted because Nintendo NEVERS drops price unless it's a quick time sale thing.
>>
That's what you get for neglecting Advance Wars.
>>
File: codenamesteamtierlist.png (676 KB, 785x1880) Image search: [Google]
codenamesteamtierlist.png
676 KB, 785x1880
>>
>>324280126
How reddit
>>
>>324282084
Why is Dorothy so bad?
>>
>>324282116
I thought we hated that tumblr thing nowadays. Way to date yourself.
>>
>>324260197
>Noa markets it
If you call that bare minimum advertising and amiibo shilling marketting then sure.
>>
File: tigerlily (3).png (198 KB, 600x706) Image search: [Google]
tigerlily (3).png
198 KB, 600x706
>>
>>324268787
Great post, m8. Upvoted.
>>
>>324282005
When will it come back mang, I need it
>>
>>324282194
Her weapon is designed to be used from one square away. It shoots in a moving spread, like a sprinkler, which ruins using it from over a square away, especially on weak points.
>>
File: CEdrpzrUIAAAuk1.jpg (29 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
CEdrpzrUIAAAuk1.jpg
29 KB, 400x240
I speedrunned this game. It was fun.
>>
>>324281358
Sub Wars was pretty much "Wasted Opportunity: The Game"

So many good ideas that just got shit all over my mediocre design. That being said I really hope they continue with it.
>>
File: 1440786132014.jpg (96 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
1440786132014.jpg
96 KB, 960x600
You know maybe I wouldn't hate that you needed to hard-to-find FE amiibo unlocks if there were a way to unlock the FE character in game.
Like have the Amiibos be a shortcut and the alternate way of unlocking them would be through cog collecting.
>>
>>324267510
Patch?
>>
>>324268787
Reposted on /r/4chan and /r/Gaming.
>>
>>324280126
Dieselfags are the worst.
>>
File: 1451259363230.png (7 KB, 238x248) Image search: [Google]
1451259363230.png
7 KB, 238x248
>This game will never get hentai lewds or doujins
>>
File: CodeNameSteamFreedomRings.png (114 KB, 945x1862) Image search: [Google]
CodeNameSteamFreedomRings.png
114 KB, 945x1862
>>324282793
there actually is one.
>>
File: Callie and Marie.jpg (7 KB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
Callie and Marie.jpg
7 KB, 250x167
This is actually really typical of 'new' Nintendo IPs. Splatoon managed to avoid it by being really well received immediately when it was unveiled, but S.T.E.A.M was slammed by the press FOR being a new Nintendo IP, not because of anything it did wrong.

It's a great game, and I'm sure IS are thinking about how to sell the sequel.
>>
File: codenamesteamwhatiplayed.png (1 MB, 716x1000) Image search: [Google]
codenamesteamwhatiplayed.png
1 MB, 716x1000
>>
File: Tigerlily.png (207 KB, 700x522) Image search: [Google]
Tigerlily.png
207 KB, 700x522
>>324282912
Could've sworn there was one with the female briefer.
>>
File: 50826635_p0.png (855 KB, 1000x692) Image search: [Google]
50826635_p0.png
855 KB, 1000x692
>>324283167
nah it's a yaoi doujin
>>
>>324282084
How are the two explosive niggers top tier? For me their damage was shit compared to hitting weak spots.
>>
>>324282934
>I'm sure IS are thinking about how to sell the sequel
It's just not feasible. The first one clearly didn't find a home, they'd have to change the whole thing to get solid sales going. Unless these have really low budgets and can handle the low sales or something.
>>
File: 462.png (310 KB, 417x622) Image search: [Google]
462.png
310 KB, 417x622
>>324281976
>Dorothy
>>
>>324283492
Califia has great range and explosives, allowing her to hit multiple targets and bounce shit around to allow easier pickings for harder hitters. Queequeg has theoretically infinite range, great damage, a massive hp pool and a 20% damage boost for the entire team. Plus the penguins can serve as recon.
>>
>>324283492
range is key in this game. The knockbacks help prevent enemies from getting close to your vicinity. When they're knocked away, they have to use more steam resources to get back close to you and it screws up their positioning.

Queequeg's range dominates from long ground distances and he has in theory infinite range. His only weakness is anti air combat.

Califia's explosives while are weaker than John Henry's and Queequeg, it can still do heavy damages at long ranges and a significant amount of map designs are so heavily biased for long ranges that she can make every single early map a breeze. She essentially has an explosive sniping utility in the palm of her hands.

Knockback and distance range is actually more important in this game then close combat. Especially in online multiplayer where everyone is running Fox, Tin Man, Califia.
>>
>>324260197
Don't worry m8. When Smash5 rolls around, Sakurai will hype up a newcomer

And then reveal it to be the MC from this

He'll be the Shulk of Smash5
>>
>>324284230
>implying Sakurai will care about any other Intelligent System games other than Fire Emblem.
>>
I can just play XCOM instead.
>>
>>324284360
We got that shitty Paper Mario SS stage with a touch of TTYD and N64
>>
>>324284439
>tfw I liked the 1st and 2nd part of that stage.

Then the 3rd stage of the map is like wtf were they thinking?
>>
>>324260197
>>>demo drops and people who bother seem to like it

Fuck you. I tried it and it was shit. I pirated it and it's still shit.

Fuck jap westaboo shit. It's all garbage.
>>
>>324260197
IS should only be allowed to make 2D Metroid and Advance Wars games.
>>
>>324281976
Why is Tinman a weaboo?
>>
File: CGQrqIrUIAEnADt.png (72 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
CGQrqIrUIAEnADt.png
72 KB, 500x540
>>324284676
>IS making 2D Metroid
>>
I just played the demo, and enemy turns are shit. In the full game they fixed this? I am really craving a tactics game, and I am pretty sure I am picking up Stella Glow. I was thinking about getting this too as I am a history teacher and the literary characters seem like a neat thing.
>>
>>324284950
yes the full game has a fastforward feature for enemy turns.
>>
>>324284950
I could've swore they patched the demo. Anyways yes in the full game enemy turns are much faster.
>>
>>324284950
It's been patched. On a normal 3DS, you can speed up the enemy turns by 2x. On New 3DS, by 3x.
>>
File: zlCfzTUo9U0yj_M6Co.png (3 KB, 320x120) Image search: [Google]
zlCfzTUo9U0yj_M6Co.png
3 KB, 320x120
>>
>>324285073
>>324285101
>>324285116
Okay I rechecked and there is a FF feature I missed it somehow.
>>
File: scarecrow122.png (266 KB, 1222x1777) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow122.png
266 KB, 1222x1777
Best theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr_E9BmRQkU
>>
>>324284884
>Super Metroid by 任天堂 / インテリジェントシステムズ / Nintendo / Intelligent Systems released on 1994-03-19
>>
cia would be nice
>>
>>324267570
It was a day one patch you dumb inbred cunt.
>>
>>324285282
Scarecrows easily.
>>
File: 283989123.png (105 KB, 383x382) Image search: [Google]
283989123.png
105 KB, 383x382
>>324285507
>day one patch
I'm pretty sure it took a week or so and I played the entire full game at launch without it.
>>
>>324275516
I dont know who koichi is supposed to be, but that terrible dogshit artstyle reminds me of JoJo
>>
>>324279535
Never. They want you to buy the N3DS and the port
>>
>>324285608
>>324285507
It was a day one patch for everyone but murica. America had to wait a month or two for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 599x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 599x447
>tfw abusing marth's special skill online

based tin man giving marth super high movement
>>
>>324285608
I'm pretty sure you're a fucking moron because it was a day one patch.

If you wanna complain, then complain about how you need to rescan your amiibos every time those characters die, which will be often.
>>
File: echoes.jpg (286 KB, 773x835) Image search: [Google]
echoes.jpg
286 KB, 773x835
>>324285618
Well I have news for you
>>
>>324261458

I used him as my scout.

He's pretty cute too
>>
>>324260197
It only sold around 50K worldwide over the course of several months. According to VGChartz, it recently had a spike probably from holidays, it's now up to 160K. I wish it sold 300K or more, that's decent for a niche title. But unfortunately, I'm afraid this will forever be a cult classic. Still hope the sequel happens regardless of sales.
>>
>>324285742
except I never complaint about the game. I loved it. You're thinking about the another person.

Also the patch wasn't even available in America until a week or so later.
>>
>>324285715
>America had to wait a month or two for it.
Two weeks retard.
>>
II love Nintendo, but I hate Nintenyearolds who only buy Mario and Zelda but don't buy Wonderful 101 or Codename Steam. Hell I promise you that if the main nigga from Steam came out in Smash Bros everyone would get hype and the few copies out there would sell out and everyone would panic trying to buy it because they were always a fan. Makes me fucking sick.
>>
They got Wil Weaton to do the voice acting so NOPE lmao
>>
File: TinMan.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TinMan.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>324285952
next thing you know no one buys games because all game developers support certain rights.
>>
>this game is so hated that there's no porn of Tiger Lily, The Fox, Califia, or Dorothy
>>
>>324284778

Game needed a Japanese rep.
>>
>>324285915
I just looked it up. Just under 4 weeks
>>
>>324281710
>lovecraft character

I probably would've bought this game if it was about Lovecraft and not steampunk.
>>
>>324285925
There's no reason people should buy a mediocre piece of shit just because there's a very small chance some positive change might come from it.

And if anything, the success of these games would probably just lead to Nintendo turning them into another cow to milk dry, since that's what they're best at.
>>
>Playing this game
>Having fun
>Storyline is holding off Cthulu aliens from taking over earth

>Suddenly Dorothy appears out of fucking nowhere and tells the team we need to go to the Emerald City from Wizard of Oz in a separate dimension and save it from aliens too

Amazing game.
>>
>>324285952

>Will Wheat thin and Adam Baldwin
>Both GG and Anti GG triggered as fuck
>>
Am I the only Nintendo fan that absolutely fucking despises Mario? I was indifferent to the games back in the day but now I can't stand them or Mario as a character.
>>
File: haiyore_nyaruko_san-1.jpg (34 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
haiyore_nyaruko_san-1.jpg
34 KB, 640x360
>>324260197
I played it this month. It is a pretty good game. Fox is OP. Lot better than that majora mask crap.
>>
>>324260861
I really liked the artstyle
>>
>>324281003
this is terrible shitposting 4/10
>>
File: 1438109140196.jpg (272 KB, 449x449) Image search: [Google]
1438109140196.jpg
272 KB, 449x449
>>324260197
>>324286068
While the game got quite some hate. It seemed to me that it quickly turned into sheer indifference. People didn't look forward to it or even cared until it flopped.

One could wonder what's worse a reveal.
The hate Federation Force got at least made some people remember the game. Even if it was in a negative way.
>>
If this had Days of Ruin's artstyle, /v/ would be jizzing over it right now.
>>
>>324287304
Not me since it's 3D
>>
File: 1350889775456.jpg (34 KB, 942x720) Image search: [Google]
1350889775456.jpg
34 KB, 942x720
>that map where two dreadnaughts block the exit
>>
The game's art style could have easily been improved tenfold if they just made the color palette on the characters something other than 90% bright red.
Also, they missed a huge opportunity not using that catchy fucking theme song for their big announcement trailer to give the game SOME kind of marketing hook.
>>
File: 9348234.png (103 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
9348234.png
103 KB, 500x313
>>
>>324287532

I sneaked past them somehow and felt like a huge casual.
>>
File: 1325859644211.jpg (16 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
1325859644211.jpg
16 KB, 380x285
>Queequeg is called King Queg in europe version
why?
>>
File: caulder.jpg (31 KB, 250x338) Image search: [Google]
caulder.jpg
31 KB, 250x338
>>324287304
>Days of Ruin
Even if they did. It would not matter for sales.
Not like that Days of Ruin was a success...
>>
>>324283492
Queequeg has god tier range as long as there's ground before the Penguin, which means he can scout pretty much everything ahead of him.
Dunno about the other, haven't gotten that far yet.
>>
File: 23445646.png (111 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
23445646.png
111 KB, 600x750
>>324287532
>tfw I had Marth screw their entire steam resource and I walked past all of them
>>
>>324288030

In 3D it would look dark and gritty enough for today's audiences.
>>
File: image.png (37 KB, 221x243) Image search: [Google]
image.png
37 KB, 221x243
>>324288164
>tfw you manage to make ike do something useful

he's not the absolute worst in the game but damn he got the short end of the stick
>>
>>324286489
Well yeah! Just look at Call of Duty and Final Fantasy. What's sad about Final Fantasy is that they can make something good, but they suck too hard.
>>
>>324288623
I don't have any of the FE amiibos.
How are them?
How do they play?
>>
File: scheming_loli_face.jpg (134 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
scheming_loli_face.jpg
134 KB, 319x319
The game languishes in the bargain bin at GameStop for $10. Even then I didn't feel like purchasing it.

>buying 3DS games

New advance wars when?
>>
>>324289219
>buying 3DS games
>buying games at all
>>
>>324288584

>enough for today's audiences.

Was that ever the series' issue? 3ds has sold pretty well, how many of its games are dark? Smartphone markets huge. How many of its best sellers are dark or gritty?
>>
>>324287532
Here's the easy way out:
>Destroy one shield generator
>That opens one of the doors (doesn't show you that, but it happens)
>One agent on that side goes through and to where the exit will open up
>Destroy the other shield generator
>The agent who went on ahead completes the map
>>
File: codenamesteamfeprofiles.png (2 MB, 799x960) Image search: [Google]
codenamesteamfeprofiles.png
2 MB, 799x960
>>324288939
see >>324282084

Marth can be used well to fuck up Enemy steam usage but he's like a guy who brings a sword to a gun fight.

Ike while high hp and biggest recharge rate, ulimately has a gun that doesn't do shit except for those bugs in one of chapters but overall near useless.

Robin is like Califia without knockback and can counterattack but shitty recharge and subpar secondary.

Lucina is like insanely good for speedrunning and destroys everything in long range as she has the power of Lion and Fox combined into one. I have no idea what they were thinking about making her. She can carry an entire map. Hell one map I played I didn't even bother using any of my other units and she completed a single mission like 2 or 3 turns. However she's fragile and she shouldn't be used for close combat and dies easily if she does.
>>
>>324280627
Sticker Star was originally a real Paper Mario game. That one hurt the most.
>>
Where is this $15? I just checked best buy since I've got some reward certs to burn and the cheapest I found was some dude on eBay for $16 shipped. Please tell me I won't regret my impulse buy.
>>
>>324289568
It's definitely worth $16. I got it for $30 back not long after release, no regrets.
>>
Sorry, I'm opposed to any positive depiction of Lincoln.

t. southerner
>>
>>324266879
No, your the excuse "hardcore gamers" who want a good tactics game (unlike Awakening) used to not buy it. In truth, art style is the reason it failed.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.