[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
which one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12
Im going to get one, which has the most to do and will last longest, most customisation etc.

Ive heard about HM's massive boring tutorial.

Pick for me.
>>
SOMEONE
>>
none of them have a ton of customization. the older ones are better, anyway.
get rune factory instead.
little king story also looks great, but i haven't played it, so i can't give you a lot of input there
>>
I haven't played either, but I've heard that Story of Seasons is such an open game with so many things to do that people get overwhelmed and go back to playing something with more structure.
>>
neither just emulate harvest moon 64 or back to nature

the recent games suck, especially visually
>>
I bought A New Beginning and it felt really barebones, could have just been that I just never exited the massive tutorial though.
Wouldn't reccommend.
>>
>>324038268
Story of Seasons is bretty gud m8. Just keep in mind that it has a pretty long and boring tutorial and starting out takes a while. But it throws so much for you to do you'll have a lot of fun.
>>
Just get Rune Factory instead
>>
>>324040349
Little King Story actually plays like Pikmin only the story goes crazy off the rails.
Although the town building is super adorable. Your knights play the bugel to wake you up and patrol outposts near the edge of town. Carpenters actually spend the day walking around and fixing roofs. In the evenings you can see your hunters roasting meat out in the fields. It's 11/10 cute.
>>
Story of Seasons is a large improvement over A New Beginning.
>>
>>324040349
>>324040365
>>324040704

No. I sunk alot of time into HM and it has a ton of content and customization. But it is veeerrrryyy slow burning. I tried story of seasons and just couldn't get into it, although I love it's art style.
>>
>>324038268
Don't touch modern Harvest Moon, it's Natsume pratically stealing the name, and running with it, with new, shit developers. Story of Seasons is what used to be Harvest Moon, just translated by a competent team.
>>
>>324040365
This isn't true. There's plenty to do in SoS, but it's supposed to provide a sense of freedom rather than overwhelm you. It's no more overwhelming than Animal Crossing.
>>
>>324042282
>Don't touch modern Harvest Moon, it's Natsume pratically stealing the name, and running with it, with new, shit developers.

while thats true, A new beginning is the last of the "real" harvest moon games.
>>
>playing any harvest moon game made after friends of mineral town
Don't even try it senpai
>>
File: sex the witch.jpg (33 KB, 233x344) Image search: [Google]
sex the witch.jpg
33 KB, 233x344
>>324043256
I will forever be a harvest moon ds man.
>>
>>324038268
story of seasons fampai. It's the real harvest moon and not natsume taking the name and using other devs.
>>
Anon, they're actually pretty much the same game, you'll get what I mean when you start watering plants and interacting with people. They haven't made a game as good as wonderful life in tears.
>>
Right got better reviews but I don't like HM's w/o goals/endings.
>>
>>324043717

If it wasnt for all the gamebreaking bugs DS would have been great. It fixed the problems FoMT had.
>>
>>324044484
So is a new beginning.
>>
Going in summer of 1st year in HM ANB right now

Yeah, it's a little slow but is not that bad, granted it's not as good as 64 or FoMT, but it's still OK.

I heard that rune factory 4 is way better, but I don't have that so can't confirm
>>
Rune factory 4 is better than both games by far.

I'm extremely surprised, you would think that since they don't have dungeons or monsters, the other two games would have a lot more content to make up for it, but they really don't. RF4 just has a ridiculous amount of extra stuff to do compared to the other two games.
>>
>>324038268
Download Back to Nature or FOMT and slap yourself for being a huge dumbass.

3D
>>
>>324045091
A shame they ended the series. Rune Factory was really coming into its own.
>>
>>324045659
Wait, they ended the series?

I read rumors about a rune factory 5.
I guess it was just a rumor
>>
File: 1452720175974.jpg (20 KB, 385x377) Image search: [Google]
1452720175974.jpg
20 KB, 385x377
>>324038268
Not sure if this is bait and everyone is playing along. But Story of Seasons is the true sequel to A New Beginning with better gameplay mechanics and some of the more tedious stuff has been streamlined so it doesn't take you half a day ingame time. Story of Seasons also doesn't start as fucking slow as ANB. It's literally better in every aspect. They are both from the same series called Bokujo Monogatari while the current "Harvest Moon" is Natsume stealing the name.
>>
>>324046503
So then play ANB first, then play SOS.
>>
Fantasy Life is really good. ive spent countless hours just in town. outside of town is a huge world full of treasure and monsters. plays something like dragon quest but feels like harvest moon. great heart warming story and a shit load of classes and professions. 11/10 do recommend.
>>
>>324038268
Stardew Valley soon, Stalker
>>
>>324047562
It was a good game i just wish i didn't have to be certain classes to do certain tasks. Although the mastery song for the classes were nice.
>>
>>324047562
>no online
>no friends
>have to play alone
welcome to the most depressing fantasy life
>>
>>324046135
I believe so, could be wrong.

>>324047562
Great game, the sequels gonna be phoneshit though.
>>
>>324045659
They didn't end the series. The company went bankrupt, but the devs were absorbed into Marvelous, who also holds the rights to the IP. RF4's sales had nothing to do with the bankruptcy, Neverland was already in trouble.
>>
>>324048681
The phone gargabe is a downgrade anyway.
Just ignore that completely.
>>
Loved the fuck out of FoMT
Everything past that just doesn't look as charming (though it's possibly just nostalgia)
Been wanting to get back on the horse and try one

Would Rune Factory 4 be a charming return to that comfy vibe but with swords?
Or is it a shallow combat filled choose-a-wife sim?
>>
>>324038268
They both suck. The amount of waiting each game forces on you is fucking crazy and the mining in SoS is total dogshit.

Get Rune Factory 4.
>>
I wish Rune Factory fans could let a single Harvest Moon thread go by without insisting people play RF instead. Or at least accept that some people just want to play a farm sim.
>>
>>324050646
Technically RF is a farm sim.
>>
Play 64, Back to Nature, and Friends of Mineral Town.

After that, switch to Rune Factory, because HM went off the deep end and RF preserved all the good shit from those games.
>>
>>324050738
RF4 is an RPG that includes farming, which is simplified and not the main focus.
>>
so far the last good one in portables was Harvest Moon DS/DS cute

ToT and AP were the last good ones on console but I can also recommend Magical Melody ON GC in particular, and I cannot stress that enough.
>>
>>324051004
Also in Oceans you don't even farm at all, monsters do it for you. Basically, in RF, farming is "a thing you can do" not "the thing you do."
>>
>>324050848
DS/DS cute is literally better than FOMT
>>
>Play RF3
>Love the fuck out of it, game has more charm and style than any DS game I've ever played
>Get to endgame
>Waifu is now a drone NPC that says the same thing every day
>Nothing postgame except a dungeon for overpowered gear you don't need

Please tell me Tides of Destiny or RF4 fix that. I feel like Back to Nature was the last Harvest Moon that really had a sense of completion, in that marriage wasn't the end of the game and the stop to anything interesting ever happening.
>>
File: 1449196632929.png (165 KB, 224x438) Image search: [Google]
1449196632929.png
165 KB, 224x438
>>324044827
>HMDS glitch
That shit pissed me off. I wanted a witch wife.

Isn't the emulated one a fixed version?
>>
>>324051570
RF4 actually has after marriage events that feature your spouse and your kid (who is no longer just an ornament) and is 3x the length of RF3.
>>
File: 1419793158901.png (285 KB, 450x358) Image search: [Google]
1419793158901.png
285 KB, 450x358
>>324051768
Looks like I need to go out and buy a 3ds
>>
>>324051721
I spent 3 days in a different state hunting down a patched copy.
Totally worth it.
>>
File: moeblob 101.jpg (294 KB, 944x2117) Image search: [Google]
moeblob 101.jpg
294 KB, 944x2117
>>324051768
>beat Act 3
>still haven't waifud anyone
feels bad, I just am so indecisive about who to pick.
>>
>>324051118
the only reason why i consistently recommend rune factory over harvest moon is that harvest moon is a series of incomplete games.

harvest moon has been the same ever since A Wonderful Life (which really felt more like a demo than an actual game): 11 years later, and they're still relying on the bland, outdated farming. none of that produces the whole "Farm Life" that it's going for. the series is just boring, and lacks content (unless you consider farming and selling crops for a million hours content). the main reason anyone actually plays it nowadays is for the waifu sim.

rune factory 4, while also quite overrated, is complete in the sense that there is actually a direction in the game. there is a reason to keep playing, there are other things you can do than just farm, and if you really love harvest moon that much, everything from harvest moon is there.
neither rune factory or harvest moon are really good games, but if i really had to pick one, i'd undoubtedly go with rune factory.

rune factory oceans and frontier are both another story. it's very clear that neverland doesn't know how to make a 3D game.
>>
>>324052990
>unless you consider farming and selling crops for a million hours content
Well, yes, I would consider the farming in a game about farming its content.
>>
>>ctrl+f Leaf
>>No results
>>ctrl+f HOLV
>>No results
It was the best Harvest Moon for a while. The only annoying thing was the un-upgradable water system, till the far end.
>>
File: 1452418008563.jpg (282 KB, 570x686) Image search: [Google]
1452418008563.jpg
282 KB, 570x686
>>324038268
Rune Factory 4 instead of either. It's probably longer then both combined and has more things to do.
>>
>>324051721
Yes
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 627x627
New harvest moon released on ios today.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 625x626
>>324054140
>>
File: the ol' spicy keychain.jpg (242 KB, 845x1036) Image search: [Google]
the ol' spicy keychain.jpg
242 KB, 845x1036
>>324054140
>>
>>324038268
SoS is better overall, but has an obnoxious store mechanic. In the earlygame you won't be able to sell your shit because the one merchant you have only shows up 3 days of the week. It gets better as you unlock more merchants though.

>>324050031
I personally loved it. You can choose to focus on whatever you'd like whenever you want. There's a ridiculous amount of content in the game. NPCs have unique dialog for like 2 years straight too.
>>
>>324051171
Not even close. DS is when the series started to go full retard.

SNES, 64/BTN/FoMT, MM, Save the Homeland and to an extent Animal Parade and Story of Seasons are the only good games.
>>
>>324054592
>DS is when the series started to go full retard
Explain, it all seemed alright to me even if the best way to play is to grow underground pineapples and yams in the cave during summer.
>>
>>324053704
I've played every title and HoLV is probably my second favorite after 64. Fine taste, sir.
>>
>>324054950
It's like Save the homeland, except they took out every retarded decision they took.

I wonder why nobody ever remembers it, cuz it's on PSP?
>>
File: 4L_o1mOD16t.jpg (485 KB, 1037x1280) Image search: [Google]
4L_o1mOD16t.jpg
485 KB, 1037x1280
Thoughts?
>>
>>324055154
>>More Story of Seasons
Can't wait!

And I hope they don't take so fucking long to release the game in Europe this time
>>
>>324055154
I do like me a farm where I can just build wherever, not so sure about the distinct separation of the fields though since I also like being immature and making things like swastikas out of my crops.
>>
>>324054140
I have wonder why the moment Marvelous stopped letting them do the translations, Natsume ended up going crazy with the trash.
>>
>>324050848
>RF preserved all the good shit from those games
Except the art style and the grounded sensibilities.
Tack on fighting and dungeon elements you don't want, written like a shitty anime, and looks like one too.

What if you want to play a cute game about living a farm life. And not a generic JRPG with farming elements.
>>
>>324055154
I like the exterior of that rustic house there.
Lisette is pretty meh.
>>
>>324055085
>PSP
Probably the case. I think it came out near the end of the PSP's lifetime too.
>>
>>324054734
It makes an already too easy series even easier, plus all of the added supernatural elements are extremely out of place.

The Harvest Goddess was a nice bonus in FoMT because it was an extra challenge for people who already played it on the PS1, but adding in a mermaid, a witch, and an underground princess you can fuck is just overkill.

I'm probably the only person assblasted about that, but it really kills my comfy farm life mood when there's too much supernatural shit going on. The sprites and Goddess work with the themes of being one with nature, but this other stuff is too much.
>>
>>324055481
A shame, considering how good the game is and how easy a PSP is to emulate/crack
>>
>>324055350
They've always been trash. Marvelous' localizations were the only thing that made them worthwhile, and even then their localizations were fairly shit.
>>
>Animal Parade will never be ported to 3ds
>Mineral Town will never be on the 3ds eshop
Why live
>>
>>324038268
SoS is just the upgraded version of anb for the most part, so choose that. Or wait since they announced a new sos game.

>>324040349
Or this.
>>
>>324055823
The GBA is so easy to flawlessly emulate, I don't know why you'd ever want to pay Natsume for it again.
>>
>>324055501
So the super natural stuff is what's the deal breaker and not the mad scientist, cyborg doctor, or moi man.
>>
The only HM I ever played was Magical Melody.

I enjoyed it, but for some reason never even tried another entry.

How does Magical Melody rate in comparison to the more favorite titles?
>>
>>324041872
I fucking love Little King's Story.

One of my favorite games of all time
>>
>>324056007
Forgot about that stuff, but yeah it's all pretty shit too me. I know it's pretty autistic, but I like my towns in Harvest Moon to feel like an actual town I could live.
>>
>>324055501
>>324054734
A lot of people overlook Sunshine Islands. I got that on emulation. And in it, Witch Princess's role is reduced. She can still do magic, but it's never really shown in a major way. She takes credit for disastrous weather. But as far as you can tell, she's just an eccentric girl with an interest in magic.

The Harvest Goddess is put back on pond duty, and that's all she's good for. You can still Merry her though, if you really try.

Despite the game being set on islands, all the tasks you do feel very grounded in the core of Harvest Moon gameplay. They don't try any major gimmicks.

I actually went from Sunshine Islands, and then back to HMDS. And found HMDS to be way more obnoxious. The tone was very different. Like they let a new writer take control or something.

Check out Sunshine Islands if you can't get a hold of a 3DS, and need your Harvest Moon fix. It's solid.
>>
>>324056307
I couldn't get into the island games because it's touch screen only and was not gonna put up with that.
>>
>>324056512
Nah. You're thinking of Island of Happiness. Which looks the same as Sunshine islands. Sunshine Islands came after, and uses the same graphics, but changes things up. Sunshine Islands It has standard controls, as well as touch controls. So it's up to you how you want to play.
>>
>>324056512

That's Isle of Happiness, Sunshine Islands is basically the same cast with non-shit controls.
>>
>>324044827
Isn't that only the NA version?

The jap version got corrected and I'm not sure the PAL version ever had the bugs or they were corrected.
>>
>>324056034
Magic Melody was like they took the core experience of a HM game, made it solid as hell, and then shoved as much characters into the game as possible. It's very basic, but refined. And slow paced, even for a Harvest Moon game. The animations and everything is excruciatingly slow in MM. But you probably thought that was normal since it was your first game.

MM's relationships felt shallow. Probably because there were so many characters, they had to spread events thinly across the cast. I rate MM as a solid 8/10. Great HM game for purists, who can get into the farm building aspects. Loses points due to too few unique character interactions, and slow pace.
>>
>>324055154
>Blonde drills girl
>back to 9 squares instead of 2
>Dat western house
>qt playable girl

When and why not right now?
>>
>>324057216

I liked the slow pace. It kind of seemed like the point of a farm/small town - life simulator.

Think I'll pick up Story of Seasons and see how I like that.
>>
>>324055154
>scarecrows
Oh shit, when did they add that feature? Is that new?
>>
>>324038268
True fact: Story of seasons is better
True fact: the framerate is a joke
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.