[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people's high opinion of it is based only on the culture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 16
File: Witcher.png (650 KB, 2090x1002) Image search: [Google]
Witcher.png
650 KB, 2090x1002
>people's high opinion of it is based only on the culture surrounding it
>when it comes down to actually playing it everyone knows it's mediocre
>no one cares about this and keep praising it

Is this one of the few games that fit the literal description of a "meme game"?
>>
I fell out with this game when I couldnt kill the griffin. epic fail
>>
>>324012860
Not à même game, but a perfect exemple of an overhyped pièce of crap. It must be one of the worse game I ever played in years.
>>
>>324012860
I played it and it's amazing.
So I don't k ow what you're memeing about.
>>
The reason why the game is shit is because it's structured like an MMO. The open world doesn't exist to give the player a sense of mystery and exploration, it's there to provide a smorgasboard of loot and fetch quests.

The reason why it's so acclaimed is because this formula is starting to become the norm and everybody just unquestioningly accepts it now, as shallow and unrewarding it is in a single player game (or even an actual MMO sometimes).
>>
>>324012860

No, it's the literal description of /v/ being a contrarian board
>>
>>324015662
It's the Ubisoft formula that somehow gets praise because it's made by a polish dev or something.
>>
File: butt cream.jpg (59 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
butt cream.jpg
59 KB, 384x384
>>324012860

Apply liberally.

See your GP if pain persists.
>>
I enjoyed it, I don't come to to /v/ to reinforce my opinion, unlike most of you faggots who do and conversely come here to solidify yours.

If you all spent more time discussing things rather than just outright slating things you'll feel more positive in your life.

pic related, its me chilling enjoying a milkshake.
>>
>>324012860
I'm playing it now - my first of the series - and it's pretty great. Probably my favorite of the past year. Combat is lacking, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.
>>
I enjoyed playing it a lot.
>>
>playing video games because of the story

I'll never understand people like this.
>>
File: 1441044138156.png (81 KB, 422x535) Image search: [Google]
1441044138156.png
81 KB, 422x535
>>324012860

No idea what you're talking about.

I avoided this game for a long time, but recently bought it. I'm having a blast with it.

Fuck off neo-/v/
>>
>>324015305
So you are either impossibly lucky, or only played about 3 games in the last couple of years.
>>
>>324012860
The problem with TW3 is yes it does have amazing graphics and it has what appears to be a pretty griping story (at least at the beginning) and some great voice acting work, but the abysmal combat system just about trumps (kek trump) everything the game does right.

Had it not for the amazing story and it just being The Witcher, there's no way I'd even be able to attempt to play this game. The overall feel is just bad. There;s no reason why running has to be always on, there's no reason why it takes 10 seconds to prepare your bow to be shot, there's no reason why the combat system feels like 1995 all over again.

And the side missions are just as interesting as the main game. If it weren't for that, I'd just say fuck this game.
>>
>>324012860

You're a fucking idiot. Here's your reply.
>>
>>324016803
And i'll never understand you people who play video games just to mindlessly play them (multiplayer games, PvP, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, general fighting games, etc). To each their own. If everyone liked the same video games it would be a very boring world.

Also, who the fuck watches movies for the plot. I mean,fuck, come on!
>>
How to spot casual filth on /v/?
They complain about combat in W3
>>
>>324017407
Movies are movies, there is no interactivity in them

Games are games because they have gameplay, and when people play because of something that doesnt require input or interactivity, its fucking pointless.
A game is also not a good game if the gameplay is bad, no matter how good the story is. Thats just a fact.
>>324017574
>I dont like the combat in this game
>waaaah, you just suck
Fucking really faggot?
>>
>>324012860
I liek is nice game
>>
Why are there people complaining there are too many talking and conversations in the game? Have they ever played a RPG in their live? Final Fantasy 7, Dragon Quest, Deus Ex, they're all like this.
>>
>>324018260
Yes but those games usually have some kind of hook to make the dialogue interesting instead of just peasants complaining about their day.
>>
>>324018412
Most npcs in rpg love to complain about their lives...
>>
I played it and it's fantastic
>>
>>324012860
I thought it was a damn fine rpg in this time of Inquisitions and Skyrims. Not perfect, but fun and you could tell the dev's actually seemed to care about it. Just it's an rpg without character creation, so no waifus or crazy wild builds to replay the game and talk keep talking about it once you beat it.

I understand you are just fishing for reactions, but go shit up undertale threads or something if you want to post about actual meme games.
>>
File: 1402612687389.jpg (657 KB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
1402612687389.jpg
657 KB, 900x660
>Game is announced, immediately people take to shitposting
>Game receives nearly non-stop shitposting until it is released
>It is difficult to have a single Witcher 3 thread without constant shitposting
>Upon release the overwhelming praise drowns out the shitposting for about a month until people move on to other games and the shitposting becomes the predominate voice again
>Shitposting continues throughout the year
>DLC is released and there is a short break in the shitposting as again the overwhelming praise drowns out the dedicated shitposters
>A few weeks later attention shifts and this time even the shitposting dies off for awhile
>Game receives by far the lion's share of year end awards in various categories including GOTY from around the internet
>Game is yet again the target of constant shitposting as they try to push the narrative that the game's success and praise were wholly undeserved and that it was either the worst game ever made or 'merely mediocre' with 'much better' games (such as MGSV, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, Undertale ect) coming out this year that were far more deserving of praise

I'm actually kinda floored with just how dedicated this has been every step of the way. It's like there are people dead set on no one being allowed to like Witcher 3. I don't think I've ever seen people hate a game quite as much as these guys hate Witcher 3 and everything it apparently stands for.
>>
>>324019291
It's purely because it's kind of a character action game, which sets it in opposition to the Souls games and Dragon's Dogma, which have by far the most autistic autistic fanbases on this site (especially Soulsfags, who will be euthanised if I ever come to dictatorial power).

I remember it was exactly the same back in 2002, when Gothicfags were obsessed with trashing Morrowind to a frankly unhealthy degree.
>>
>>324017805
It's a role playing game, you can change the outcome of the story through dialogues, which are really well written.

I don't get the hate on the combat, it's not perfect, but enjoyable enough on Death March difficulty.

World is worth exploring, there are different Witchers sets to find, and most importantly, they are worth the effort of getting them. You can't say the same about Skyrim (which is praised for its open world), where you can click everything to death with bare hands.
>>
File: 1450377675913.png (142 KB, 401x406) Image search: [Google]
1450377675913.png
142 KB, 401x406
>>324019291
If it gets too much undeserved critical acclaim it will set a new standard for the industry that no one really wants.

That's why it's your duty to point out its flaws and not just accept it at face value.
>>
>>324019796
If TW3 sets the industry standard for story telling, then there is nothing to worry about.
>>
>>324019796
>undeserved critical acclaim
What if I think the acclaim is deserved? Witcher 3 wasn't exactly my favorite game this year but I still loved it and think it deserved it's recognition.

If more games modeled themselves off Witcher 3 it'd be quite welcome.

As much shit as it gets it still had the best combat of any openworld RPG I've ever played and it features some of the best sidequests and optional material I've seen in a game in at least the last few years.
>>
>>324019781
Changing outcomes is barely gameplay. You're selecting text options on a screen and accepting. Thats like saying an internet browser is a video game.

And the armor thing is pointless when Witcher gear is always better than anything else, the loot system is shit.
>>
>>324016803
You are probably too young to understand.
>>
>>324020335
>Changing outcomes is barely gameplay
I'd say it's the most important part of any game in the genre, but I can see why some people may find it boring, especially if they don't find characters interesting.

>And the armor thing is pointless when Witcher gear is always better than anything else, the loot system is shit.
It's not that bad, it takes a lot of time and ingredients to craft and fully upgrade a witchers set.
>>
>>324018576
Just like real life
>>
>>324020226
>the best combat of any openworld RPG I've ever played

It was decent bait up until this line.
>>
>>324021425
You got a better example?

Remember anon, Openworld RPGs, it's not like it had every stiff competition.
>>
>when it comes down to actually playing it everyone knows it's mediocre

Fuck off autist
>>
>>324012860

the game is quite good for 30 bux at the steam sale

just gtfo you fucking tard and take your low quality bait with you
>>
>>324012860
The only meme here is the attempts to discredit the game's GOTY status
>>
>>324021734
>what is dark souls
>what is dragon's dogma
>>
>>324019291
And it still won every critic GOTY award and every user choice GOTY award,

Fuck the autists
>>
>REEEE WITCHER 3 IS GOOD GAMEPLAY DOESN'T REALLY MATTER THAT MUCH ALSO I PLAYED IT AND LOVED IT YOU JUST HAVE A SHIT TASTE YOU CONTRARIAN FAGGOT/HIPSTER/KOJIMADRONE/SOULSBABY
>>
>>324021905
>corridors the game
>2012 game
Your point?
Open world is in right now, but these games are either old or not true open world in traditional meaning of this word
>>
>>324021905
They aren't better than Arkham combat
>>
>>324016803
>story isnt part of the game
Kill yourself dumb cunt.
>>
>>324021905
Dark Souls isn't open world.

Dragon's Dogma maybe if you're into hammering skill shortcuts and a crappier version of SOTC's climbing mechanics.
>>
>>324016946
Honestly, when something becomes popular neo-/v/ gets self conscious and have to start shitting on it. It's sad.
>>
>>324022038
You realize that those games being old and still having better combat is not a point in the witchers favour?
>>
>>324017407
>fighting games
>mindless

You're a clown
>>
is witcher 3 is bayd meme a meme or is the meme itself a meme within the meme? do you ever think forget about what look things like meme meme xddd+?!1
>>
>>324022342
One game, Dark Souls again isn't really open world and doesn't really count.

Dragon's Dogma egh, I'm not really a fan of it's combat, especially with how the inventory and skills system work, meaning you're just holding down hotkeys or downing curatives that heal you instantly directly from the pause menu and the fact that it copied SOTC and managed to remove much of the skill and nuance from climbing in the process. I wasn't exactly impressed, I hear dark arisen did some cool stuff with it but I didn't stick around to play the DLC.

Still stands though, Witcher 3 is the best Openworld RPG combat I've ever played.
>>
>>324022038
Witcher is such an over-praised piece of shit. Every time they release a Witcher game they drool over the "massive open world and thousands of things to do" yeah there may be a huge open world, and there may be a lot to do besides the story, but underneath all that it's the same shitty combat and mechanics, so you get to do more things, but in the most boring repetitive way possible. The fact that old RPG's still retain a higher value than the Witcher proves it really isn't new in terms of innovation. But don't worry, I have a friend that tries to tell me every chance he gets that "people see the Witcher 3 as a perfect game" I laugh every time, because there isn't a single thing that game has done that even comes close to being perfect.
>>
File: 1403482760243.jpg (23 KB, 484x461) Image search: [Google]
1403482760243.jpg
23 KB, 484x461
Outside of enemy designs, which often look great, it is extremely boring. The world design is just copy/paste generic hills, shacks and unremarkable castles with your typical European fantasy shit scattered around. Combat is serviceable but not very engaging. Crafting ANYTHING is tedious and doesn't feel like a major accomplishment when you finally start to churn out gear that can beat your default armor or weapon drops, it just exists to pad the game as you wander through the hills pulling up flowers.

Think about it, Skyrim got hugely popular as well and its shitty faults became popular, like some guard only having one line of dialogue to spam. Witcher 3's so bland it doesn't even have that going for it, just nondescript praise from the CDPR defense force.
>>
>>324022839
>Witcher game they drool over the "massive open world and thousands of things to do"
Witcher 3 was the first open world Witcher game anon. 1 had everything loaded off into separate maps, 2 was hub based.

2/10 Try again.
>>
>>324022742
You need to play some more RPG's mate.
>>
>>324012860
Did you even fucking play it? I don't get people like you. If you didn't put 100+ hours into this masterpiece of a game then it's because you probably can't play anything that doesn't let you hack and slash aimlessly.
>>
I think I would have liked it if it wasn't open world, but I can't stand wasting hours doing nothing
>>
>>324016512
Typical hipster mindset.

>"hey look how much better I am than you! Please pay attention I'm important!"
>>
>>324012860

I ironically put 250 hours into the game.

Will these TW3 shitposters ever leave? did Geralt fuck their girlfriends/moms or something?
>>
>>324023294
How can you? With that shit combat?
>>
>>324023016
Such as? I am asking for suggestions here. I play a lot of games anon, maybe I haven't played everything but I do get around.

I mean if you've got better examples of combat in Openworld RPGs I'm fucking open to them, but I've played the only other Openworld RPG someone suggested so far and I preferred Witcher 3's combat.
>>
>>324023371

Because its beautiful, interesting and fun

Combat is not shit, theres faaar worse combat out there - you don't even have to go far - TW1 and 2 both had much worse.

Huge scope, high level of detail and care put into the world, quests and characters, atmosphere.
Plus I read the books so I'm ofcourse more attached to it all.
And I enjoy the combat too, pirouette dodging is satisfying, they basically nailed the "witcher dance" that witchers are supposed to do, and if you freshen it up all over with signs and bombs its absolutely enjoyable, especially with the great combat themes playing.
>>
>>324023464
Ever played Gothic 2?
>>
>>324012860
The combat isn't super satisfying but I can't find much else to complain about.

Just because you think it's mediocre doesn't mean everyone who says it's great is memeing.
>>
>>324023821
Yeah, both Gothic and Gothic 2, they both control like shit and have terrible combat and I love them to death but that's not why they're great games.
>>
>>324017282
This is why I prefer the first one overall. Controls and combat is everything, for some reason Witcher3 and 2 feels slow as fuck, not very responsive. And the moves that Geralt does is based on RNG, something he dances when the motherfucker should be quickly cutting heads off, and you don't know when he does this. It's retarded. This combat system ala Batman and Shadow of Mordor is retarded.
>>
>>324023927
Combat is just tedious but not complete shit. Two worlds is pretty good. War and is pretty good but it's like instanced open world.
>>
>>324024172
>Two worlds
I only played about an hour of the Two Worlds 2 demo and I don't recall being exactly impressed by it. Was the first one much better in that regard?
>>
>mfw 99% of these fags saying "combat is abysmal" will go back to play asscreed, bamham and skyrim after posting

Combat is the weakest point of TW3, still better than copypaste bamham combat, still leagues above Skyrim's combat, you people are just sour because TW3 did everything else far better than whatever your biased fave choice of an action game is. (and then you don't even think about the difference between an arpg and an action game)
>>
>>324024415
Talk about shitty argument

>TW3 has bad combat
>but these random games have worse combat
>So TW3 is GOTY
>>
>>324016231
It gets praise because Ubisoft isn't doing it
>>
File: angry-muslim-man-2.jpg (49 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
angry-muslim-man-2.jpg
49 KB, 500x369
>>324016512
HIPSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
It's like Ass Creed but for the RPG crowd. Advertised to hell and back so Chad next door probably plays it and that means you should too, it's accessible, casual, with pretty graphics. What more do they need?

Combat, level design, character progression, story, itemization, etc.? Nah, doesn't matter.
>>
>>324024601

Yeah, your argument is shit.
My point is that you have none, you just keep calling things shit shit shit.

TW3 is GOTY for self explanatory reasons anyone who actually played it for longer than an hour gets, you just WANT to berate the game so you pick its weakest - but still solid - point and go

>shit shit shit shiiiiit
>>
>>324024780
You actually managed to find an even worse argument for the game to be GOTY

>Well... hmm... it's self explanatory

Also, just for your information, I haven't been complaining about the combat, I've been complaining about the open world design of the game.
>>
>>324017407
go back to your walking simulators lol
>>
>Follow the red glow to solve quest.

Wow real impressive. I remember doing something very similar in those Arkham games.
>>
>>324024907

I've posted a bigger explanation for that above - but ofcourse you only bite onto the posts where you can split hairs and seem like you have something worth saying.
>>
>witcherkids defend their beloved game by saying how much time they wasted playing it
>you must like it if you played it, it's a masterpiece
>if you dislike the game you definitely play Skyrim or Dragon Age
>>
>>324012860

GOTY, /v/ is talking shit about it
>>
>>324025032
Maybe stop making retarded posts then?
>>
>>324025106
Dragon Age Origins is a much better game than this.
>>
>>324025153

But then what would you reply to with your low level trolling?

As usual, another shiteating anon who thinks that if someone doesn't mention something he gets to ASSUME whatever he wants and attack it.

Eat shit man.
>>
>>324012860
>game with the great gameplay, world, story
>nah it's shit because of meme
How to spot of redditor
>>
>>324025365
The gameplay's... okay

If we were going off gameplay alone MGSV would win no question
>>
>>324025106
Someone can actually write a bunch of green text without a single point, argument or context.
Holy shit how are kids these days writing skill so abysmal.
>>
>>324025315
So you use terrible arguments to defend a game and I'm supposed to assume you have good ones, but you're just not using them? Alright my bad dude.
>>
>>324025542
Hahahahajajajaxaxaxa
>>
>>324022009
this is true though

the point of this is to post something that isn't true anon, you aren't doing it right

the only people shitting on this game are contrarian hipster souls autists, because the game is great as an all around package. like the other anon said, the combat isn't incredible but it is likely the best or second best in an open world rpg, and in general it is decent (as long as you don't lock on to targets)

you can complain all you want, both the critics and the people have spoken, and this game is good
>>
>>324025365
>calling witcher's gameplay, world or story great
How to "spot of" redditor
>>
>>324023371
Nice meme kid, I'm sure you'll go far.
>>
>>324012860
>hating this game because it doesn't have causal accessible combat
>couldn't play a game because it requires you to read a bunch of text and backstories
>would rather play a game about black muslims gang raping white girl on the street
Is the one of the few games that makes race mixing degenerate going buttmad?
>>
>>324024725
All of those things save combat, which is still decent, are great in TW3, so I don't know what you're trying to say here.
>>
File: gKwuolt.jpg (719 KB, 1958x2937) Image search: [Google]
gKwuolt.jpg
719 KB, 1958x2937
>>324025926
>make a green text of basically what the other guy said
>pretend it's an argument
>>
>>324012860
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Assumptions: The Post

I played TW3 on PC when it came out based on the solid reputation of the developer and the series. I enjoyed it immensely because I didn't go into it with specific expectations (didn't play TW1 or 2, didn't read anyone's opinion on TW3 before playing it). I especially enjoyed the roleplaying and excellent storytelling, which was present even in menial side quests.

Why so many plebs make it difficult for themselves to enjoy vidya is beyond me... People more often look for a reason to dislike a game than to enjoy it, which can be attributed in part to the fact that people pick sides in imaginary conflicts (console wars, muh storytelling, muh developers I don't like, etc.) and then judge games based on preexisting notions that are often inaccurate....

/v/ is as guilty at promoting this shitshow as anywhere, although it's true that tumblr / game journalism / reddit are each guilty as well.

Tl;dr, try enjoying games instead of looking for reasons to hate them
>>
How is this obvious bait thread still up?
>>
When did a game start having to be perfectly flawless to be the best game that came out in a year?
>>
File: QT.jpg (19 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
QT.jpg
19 KB, 200x150
>>324026364
>roleplaying
>in a game that doesn't let you make your own character
>>
>>324025592

Protip:
Just calling my points bad doesn't actually mean anything.

I don't really see how you think you are making ANY kind of a point when you are literally just insulting me.
Grow the fuck up child.
>>
>>324026978
>hello I am retarded please rape my face
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (4 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
4 KB, 480x360
>>324012860
You seem to have posted the wrong picture, you described Undertale but accidentally clicked a picture of the Witcher.

I'll help you out.
>>
>>324026978
You're given a role to play, what's the problem?
>>
>>324026227
>it's an argument if I write it but not if you do
How to spot of redditor
>>
>>324027052
And I'm the troll in this conversation? Interesting.
>>
>>324026978
Ha, faggot.

Not sure why I'm responding because it should be obvious those who aren't mentally handicapped that roleplaying can be plentiful regardless of if you're given a character to play
>>
>>324027317

Well lets see, you posted
>your argument is shit
>your comments are retarded
>your argument is shit

While you haven't provided an argument of your own, or even just asked me to elaborate.

So yes, you are a shitty troll who doesn't even realize that his posts aren't worth replying to at all.
Atleast now you may know.
>>
>>324027226
But that fits every game. Is every game an RPG?
>>
>>324027639
That does not fit every game but it is interesting to note that the rise of video games coincided with the rise of tabletop RPGs, with the fanbases probably having significant overlap, and that you don't usually play a character in a tabletop game whereas you do in a video game.
>>
>>324027491
But I wasn't trying to make an argument, you were. I was just telling you your arguments were bad. The normal reaction to this would be to try to convince me your arguments weren't bad or to find a good argument, instead you insulted me multiple times. And then, which is the funny part, you complain that I insulted you.
>>
>>324027639
Retarded argument, if you actually play TW3 it's clear that there are plenty of roleplaying and customization elements. In fact, the only thing that's really missing is character creation which I'm totally fine with given that it serves the story.
>>
>>324026496
Because it isn't bait.
>>
>>324027895
>But I wasn't trying to make an argument

No, you were shitposting, exactly my point.

As I said, I elaborated above already - but you are only looking for posts that you can attack (but don't want argue with).

If you could think for a moment you'd realize your actions are ridiculous.
>>
>>324028636
>>324027895
Could you two just fuck off, you're embarrassing yourselves.
>>
>>324012860
flavor of the month, will be forgotten once these shitposting threads decrease in number
>>
>>324028941

>release in 2015 may
>flavor of 7 months

Yes, thats what it means to be GOTY anon.
>>
>>324026978
You're playing the role of Geralt of Rivia. You can customize your Geralt of Rivia in many ways including armor, weapon, skills and skill slots. You can imbibe potions, craft equipment and consumables, and gain levels through experience.

Sure sounds like a role playing game to me.
>>
>>324027972
>there are plenty of roleplaying and customization elements.

I didn't know getting to choose how your beard looks is roleplaying.
>>
>>324028636
I wasn't shitposting, I was reading a thread, saw a really stupid post, told myself that person really ought to know how stupid he sounds right now, replied to that post to tell him. Somehow that person managed to sound even stupider in his reply to me, and here we are on this wild ride.

And so right now, we are back to the point when I told you to stop making retarded posts and I'll stop calling you out on being retarded.
>>
>>324026978
Besides, in the Final Fantasy games, which are without question role playing games, you don't make your own character. You play as the set characters of the story and the only difference is you can name them Buttmaster420 instead of Locke or Terra.
>>
>>324029096

A character creator is not roleplaying anon.
>>
>>324029178

>this post disagrees with me, I think thats retarded
>time to attack him for it

Textbook shitposting anon.
>>
>>324029096
>I didn't know equipping materia was roleplaying
>I didn't know equipping an esper was roleplaying
>I didn't know junctioning magic was roleplaying

Character creation is not even a priority element of roleplaying games. It's pretty low down on the list actually.
>>
>>324029201
Yeah, it's only the very foundation of it.
>>
>>324029092
But what about gender and personality?
>>
>>324029307
See it wasn't a disagreement, I don't dislike the combat in TW3, your argument for it is just plain and simply and retarded.
>>
>>324029424
Then why do many RPG modules come with pre-made characteres?
>>
>>324029398
>equipping things is roleplaying to you

May as well call Mario an RPG at this point.
>>
>>324012860
>people's high opinion of it is based only on the culture surrounding it

Actually my high opinion of it comes from the hundreds of hours I've spent playing and enjoying it.
>>
>>324029051

sorry, should have said flavor of the shitposts, because there's not much to say beside shitposting about it.

its goty like inquisition, skyrim, tlou were before it, and it will be forgotten in a relatively short time.
>>
>>324029424
No, it's not, at all.

The best role playing games in history have you play characters that are preset. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Profile, in fact, most RPGs, do not have character creation.

>>324029436
What about it? It's not important or necessary to a roleplaying game. Geralt has a personality, just like Locke, just like Squall, just like Tidus. All roleplaying game characters.
>>
>>324029529
Only shit ones do.
>>
>>324016231
>no radio tower to climb
>ubishit formula
I can forgive you for thinking that all open world games are ubishit games because they make so many of them, but you're still wrong.
>>
>>324023193
That's exactly the kind of people he's talking about.
>>
>>324029556
I'm mocking you because all of those things are elements from actual roleplaying games.

Are you saying Final Fantasy games are not roleplaying games?
>>
>>324029638
>shit japanese games are the epitome of roleplaying

You're not even trying at this point.
>>
>>324023193
As opposed to the typical /v/ mindset?
>"my taste is superior and everyone else is a casual pleb! But I would never have the balls to say so outside of an anonymous board"
>>
>>324029763
All of those games are roleplaying games, regardless of your opinion of them.

Character creation is not a necessary element to the genre. You're wrong.
>>
>>324029638
That's because those are not RPGs, they are labeled wrong.
>>
>>324029643
Nah m8. It's pretty standard. Also great for one-offs and shit like that.

But you're already admitting that creating your own character isn't a requirement for RPGs. How can it be the very foundation if you can do without it?
>>
>>324015662
Except almost every location and quest in the game has a neat story attached to it.

Even a simple "find the hidden treasure chest" quest in the first area is a story about a Temerian Special Forces unit that was ambushed by Squirrels before the current Nilfgaard war, and how their mission failed.

As the game goes on, these quests DO get lazier though. The witcher equipment quests start out with neat stories about old witchers and how they died, but the upgrade quests are boring "go to x, get y" quests with no exposition or story in them.

My favorite equipment quest is the wolf set quest, since it really expands Kaer Morhen's history.
>>
>>324021905
Having played both of those games I don't see how you could consider them "better". The combat in TW3 and Dark Souls doesn't even seem all that different except for the fact that you're dodging in TW3 instead of rolling, and Dragon's Dogma's combat is different but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
>>
>>324012860
I was slightly disappointed. I definitely don't praise it as GOAT or GOTY in any category though.
>>
>>324029832
One of these days you should try looking up where roleplaying started and what it's supposed to be.

Your shitty japanese games are nowhere near the standard of what an actual RPG should be.
>>
>>324029842
Yes, they are.

You're just an idiot. And it's not just "equipping stuff", it's all the other things you ignored in my post.

It must suck to be an idiot.
>>
>>324029424

Really? Why?

Are you saying when I am PLAYING the ROLE of Geralt, and making my decisions as I see fit in the ROLE that I'm PLAYING - its not roleplay?

Theres a spectrum of how deep you can get into roleplaying anon - want the utmost highest degree?
GTFO out of video games then and grab pen and paper.

Since no game can give you absolute freedom AND a compelling world/story at the same time, they have to place your involvement in the role you will be playing somewhere in that spectrum.

Being able to decide how your character looks and maybe choose from 2-3 shallow background stories is what you think of as roleplaying - but that has its problems - for example that you have no history or past, or a very pathetic one.

TW3 gives that up - in return Geralt has real history, recurring characters and memories from his past. The world was made to react to him nicely because his role is clear from his past.

Its still roleplaying, and I'd say its better than the alternatives in 3D video games, where nobody really gives a shit about your "role" and acts neutrally and the same way towards you even if you are a saviour of humanity, or a serial killer.

Until the world can dynamically react to what you are doing this will be true too.

FO4 is much less of a roleplaying game, even though it has a character creator.
You mosst often don't have real choices, you just choose attitude, your history is set in stone, hell even your voice is set in stone so even if you are a cutthroat nigger you'll still sound like american dad.

So no, character creation is not the foundation of it.
>>
>>324030052
>I was slightly disappointed. I definitely don't praise it as GOAT or GOTY in any category though.

spotted the soulsfag
>>
>>324029728
JRPGs are distinct from wrpgs since they aren't "real" RPGs.
>>
>>324029637

I rarely like to use the "backpedaling" argument but you are doing it very harshly.

Its a 7 month old game, it won every award above its competiton and we have legit threads about it every day - and like 4 more shitposting ones, usually incited by people like you.

Whats a relatively short time for you?
However long it'll take for TW3 to disappear?
>>
>>324030070
It doesn't matter where it started, it has nothing to do with the fact that character creation isn't necessary for the game to be a roleplaying game.

It only matters if you're playing a role, and whether there is a degree of customization and progression to the character. That's it. Whether it's your own created character or a premade character.

You're just wrong.

>>324030175
They are real RPGs. You just don't want them to be because it proves you are wrong.
>>
>>324016008
Yup. Look at all the threads praising Dragons Dogma. It's a mediocre game at best, but it's better than the witcher because it has hit-stop combat?
>>
>>324030093
Fallout 4 is a shit RPG too. Great point, I guess.
>>
>>324029096
Hurrr durrr

What do you call
>choosing what your character says including impactful decisions that branch and have actual consequences
>managing all of your relationships both with individuals and with factions
>using perks to specialize your combat strengths and weaknesses
>choosing between lots of varied types of armour, weapons, equipment
>open ended gameplay that allows you to pursue what you wish and dismiss what you're not interested in

Etc...
>>
>>324030258
>i-it doesn't matter

Literally kill yourself you fucking weeb.
>>
>>324030309

>great point

Yes, against your stupid argument about character creation.
Thank god you ignored everything else, this way you can sleep well at night.
>>
>>324030393
It doesn't matter, yeah. Greentexting my correct statement and insulting me won't make it less correct.

Character creation does not have to occur for a game to be a RPG. Sorry.
>>
TW3 was incredible though, and was easily the best game of 2015.

Stay mad, haters.
>tfw getting another expansion this year

Feels good man.
>>
>>324030093
>Until the world can dynamically react to what you are doing

That's what good RPGs do right now.
>>
>>324030525
>muh japanese overlords said so, that's how it must be

Again, kill yourself.
>>
>>324012860
No. Its probably the least memed game out thre considering the scope.
>>
>>324015662
Youre thinking of assassins creed. This one actually has quality quests and retarded busywork to waste your time at aminimum, unlike mad max, assassins creed, far cry 3 -4, shadow of mordor etc.
>>
>>324030652
No, there are plenty of WRPGs without character creators. It doesn't make them "less RPG" RPGs.

You have no argument and you're wrong.
>>
>>324012860
>Is this one of the few games that fit the literal description of a "meme game"?
I think extending the term beyond stuff like Goat Simulator and Showering With Your Dad Simulator is kinda pushing it. And they should be called novelt games instead.
>>
>>324030797
>It doesn't make them "less RPG" RPGs.

Except it does. Stay content with shit though, obviously I can't stop you.
>>
File: art-018.jpg (178 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
art-018.jpg
178 KB, 1280x1024
>faggot arguing jRPGs aren't real RPGs
>faggot arguing a game isn't an RPG if it doesn't involve intricate character creation
>faggot arguing TW games aren't RPGs
You're basically saying PS:T isn't an RPG because you start with a premade character that you only get to customize a bit. Literally the same as with TW games.
I want Skyrim and modern Fallout kiddies to leave.
>>
> you don't really enjoy this game you just think you do

Holy shit are you serious? Did you bust into some meme philosophy book this year and now you think you got shit figured out?

Get the fuck out of here, kid

Yes, I am implying you're young, because if you're not I seriously pity your naivety
>>
>>324030910
You have no argument. You just greentext and insult.

There's no reason why they aren't RPGs. You are playing a role, progressing and customizing. You just can't admit you're wrong, just like everyone on /v/.

How does it make them less RPGs when they have every element of an RPG that matters? You have no answer because there is none.
>>
>>324031072
You dont need to prove anything anon. We can see youre conversing with a retard.
>>
>>324030943
He's trolling but every answer he makes just makes him look worse, so I don't mind doing that for him.
>>
>>324031072
>You just can't admit you're wrong, just like everyone on /v/.

Mirror mirror.
>>
>>324030943
what's with that screencap from Reboot you posted? Thought you were talking about old and gay games that you like.
>>
>>324030198
it's simply a game that doesnt bring anything new to the table, that's why it will be forgotten.

its fanbase is weak, redkit2 brought few mods when it was released for w2, w3 mods are even less. little fanart, no need for discussions when a game tells you everything.

it simply wont resist more than 1-2 years, and it will be dead once c2077 releases.

but that's still speculation, and im ready to eat my shit if it doesnt happen. screencap this if you want and post it in a few years.

and, just to be clear, by dead or popular i mean scenarios like dark souls and witcher 2: released pretty close to one another, one is still discussed after 2 more games of its genre, the other is pretty much dead.
>>
>>324031285
He's not wrong tho, unlike the retard he's replying to
>>
>>324012860
The game play is pretty fun and most of the storylines in each quest are pretty absorbing.

Yeah the gameplay would be boring in 20 hours if the writing wasn't so strong, but as it stands I think the game is great and you're just a salty faggot who hates anything enjoyed by people outside of /v/.
>>
>>324012860
Game of the year

So much better than the alternatives
>>
>>324031285
I'm not wrong. I've explained my argument in detail, and it's correct.

You on the other hand, have nothing to say but copying me in greentext and snide remarks.
>>
Who keeps making these anti-witcher threads? You spend more time thinking about this game than people who actually played it and like it.
>>
>>324031295
>screencap
>Reboot
So you're a retarded faggot, got it
>>
>>324031472
>You spend more time thinking about this game than people who actually played it and like it.
/v/ in a nutshell
>>
>>324031469
>outright said that you don't consider the origin of roleplaying and its definition as something that matters
>I'm not wrong

Mhm.
>>
Is this game balanced around the shield spell? It seems like there's no reason not to use it but it seems really dumb too.
>>
>>324031825
basically, all the other spells are pretty useless
>>
>>324012860
You're thinking of Undertale, Fallout 4. and MGSV. Witcher 3 is a fantastic game with an actual complete story without tumblr tier characters.
>>
>>324031825
The Witcher 2 had the same problem.
>>
>>324030651

Oh, for example?
And be sure to say something with a 3D world comparable to that of TW3.
>>
>>324032046
>>324032216
I see. I never bothered with the Witcher series and if this is an actual thing, I don't really want to keep going. Does it at least become useless down the track? Like enemies ignore it or something?
>>
>>324031618
Because it doesn't matter. It's not the deciding factor in what RPGs are. And to that point, even at it's origins there were modules where you played premade characters in a story, even in tabletop RPGs.

That does not make it less of an RPG because the role you are playing is provided for you.
>>
>>324031618
>DM hands you all premade characters
>suddenly it's not a tabletop RPG anymore
Okay retard.

Let's also keep in mind that a machine is still not as flexible as a DM when it comes to crafting a narrative, combat situations and awards and shit. So game devs have to make sacrifices because all content is premade and the player has to fit into the game's mold instead of the game being molded around the player by the GM. Bethesda sacrifices story for character creation, CDPR sacrifices character creation for story. Neither make games that are RPGs (as in they fit into the RPG genre) any less than the other. One could however argue that one makes better games than the other hint: it's not Bethesda

tl;dr fuck you
>>
>>324019291
Probably just self insert fags mad they can't make some shitty OC of themselves and have to play as Geralt. Seriously this game has no tacked on multiplayer, no micro transactions, real expansion content, constant game updates, actual different endings unlike bioware trash, and great writing.
>>
>>324031305

>discussed

You mean shitposted about right?

Thats all souls games get afterall, just like TW3.

I'm not sure what kind of staying power you are looking for, I think you just don't participate in TW3 discussion and thus don't think it exists - while you participate in das discussion and thus assume its ever-present.

Btw I agree - the only outstanding thing TW3 did is that it did most of its aspects very very well - while being huge in scope.
No gimmick, no one trick pony here, just a good, big game.

Meanwhile, just to use souls once more - now thats a one-trick pony thats being ridden to fucking death.
>>
It is an excellent game that deserves every bit of praise it gets. I will say this until the day I die
>>
>>324032397
>does it at least become useless down the track? Like enemies ignore it or something?

what do you mean? you can just upgrade and tank more hits (3-4 hits per use) or use its variation to gain health when enemies it you
>>
>>324012860
I enjoyed it.

Combat is excellent. Played Death March, but the side quests make you level up too easily so mid game you're too overpowered. That's the only real flaw of the game in my opinion.

Certainly better than Dark Souls' combat, not as good as Dragon's Dogma which I'm waiting for to unlock right now.
>>
>>324032098
>without tumblr tier characters
Yeah how often is some demonic military leader portrayed in tumblr?

Jesus Christ WITCHER faggots are so defensive over their lame sword and sorcery garbage
>>
>>324032720
>sword and sorcery
>not liking sword and sorcery

What are you gay?
Need some more military/sci-fi/sci-fi-military?
>>
>>324012860
The Witcher 3 is an rpg with action
Bloodborne is an action game with rpg elements
Get it?
>>
>>324032720
Have you played Dragon Age Inquisition? It has fantastic writing such as "my father doesn't accept me because I'm gay".
>>
>>324032916
Sword and sorcery is the single most overused setting in video games.

Prove me wrong
you cant
>>
>>324032548
>I'm not sure what kind of staying power you are looking for, I think you just don't participate in TW3 discussion and thus don't think it exists

yes, i participate in the few witcher 3 threads that arent made by haters or drones with the same goty pic.

last time there was a favorite gear thread that got deleted after 6 replies.
(now compare it with bb gear threads)
waifuposting is pretty popular as well, at least 20 replies before being archived.

didnt bother to read the rest of your post since your over-defensive attitude is pretty clear
>>
File: 1347742885916.jpg (65 KB, 698x716) Image search: [Google]
1347742885916.jpg
65 KB, 698x716
>>324032617
>you can just upgrade and tank more hits (3-4 hits per use) or use its variation to gain health when enemies it you
This bothers me. And what I meant was, were there enemies that could ignore the shield (i.e. a huge boss with a huge strike that would just bash through it), but I guess not by the sounds of it. Thanks for the info anon.
>>
WITCHER 3 is such a fucking boring game. The combat is redundant and the open world is so repetitive.
>>
>>324032916
>>sword and sorcery
At least we can call games like that this instead of "tolkien"
>>
>>324032991
Have you? Because that wasn't what Dorian said.
>>
>>324033175
>were there enemies that could ignore the shield

there arent, even ground aoe can be absorbed by quen.

most of the fights in all witchers consists of waiting for stamina to regen, use quen, attack, get hit, retreat, wait, quen and so on

but im sure some witcherdrones will attack this and say otherwise
>>
>>324033067

I don't challange that at all, its just rarely done well and its till fun.

I'd rather take maigcal knight filled britain-clones over half-assed sci-fi, and ANYTIME over military settings, especially ones involving the US OF A.

Also, the Witcher universe is atleast not nearly as generic as most others, the same elements sure, but usually with nice twists, a lot of realistic conflict (instead of just good vs evil) and all the polish/slav folklore stuff.
>>
>>324033435
Well that sucks. I don't want to use it because it seems lazy and cheap so I'll probably just stop playing. The whole "instantly heal" thing on normal difficulty was bad enough.

I asked a friend of mine what he thought of it and he said the battle system was really quite shoddy but he said the story makes up for it so I guess witcherfags don't even try to defend it and he can go fuck himself.
>>
>>324033175
There are strikes an enemy can do that can still stagger you even with Quen. So the shield bursts and your staggered for a few seconds, enough time for them to get a few good hits on you.

As you gain in level it becomes harder to find real challenges, sure. But that's the way it is with most games. I'm playing now, and I just did a contract to kill a vampire and it was the hardest fight thus far because the vampire was really fast, like it would attack relentlessly. No time to reapply Quen to the point that it was breaking the game and I almost died.

My issue is mainly that I reached a point where all my attacks seem to stagger the opponent (or most opponents), so all I have to do is keep hitting them and they can't retaliate because they are staggering over and over again.
>>
>>324033435

Yes you can cheese your way through the game that way.

So does that fact that Souls combat is
>sidestepping until I slam them with a lightning zweihander/backstab
mean that that is all that Souls combat is capable of?

Its up to you how to play, if you are cheap - you'll get a cheap experience.
>>
>>324033932
I have plenty of fun with the combat, it's just an opinion and some people seem to be able to enjoy it and some people don't.

I have a feeling though that most people who don't just find ways to dislike anything they are doing. That's fine, but it isn't the game's fault.
>>
>>324033932
All Witcher games have shit combat, that's nothing new.
>>
>>324033175
>huge boss with a huge strike that would just bash through it

when a "huge boss" attacks the hit is absorbed by quen and geralt is thrown a few meters away.
but i wouldnt complain about it since hitboxes and iframes are a bit shit
>>
>>324034162

I'm pretty sure this is all because TW3s popularity has brought all these degenerates like
>>324033932

out of the woodwork who come in for a fucking action game and nothing else.

Protip: If you want good action, go for an action game, not a hybrid ARPG that was always far heavier on the roleplaying and story side.

You people were literally lured by the pretty graphics I guess, moth to fire, etc.
>>
File: 1452806814322.jpg (144 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1452806814322.jpg
144 KB, 800x800
>>324012860
Meme games are more like Dark Souls/Bloodborne and Undertale.

Witcher 3 is a genuinely good game, it's just not for you it seems.
>>
>>324033941
>>324034219
>There are strikes an enemy can do that can still stagger you even with Quen
Oh well that's not too so bad I suppose. I noticed the hitboxes and dodging was a bit weird but it's nothing awful.
>>324034578
What are you even trying to say here?
>the action can be bland because the story is there
That's all I'm getting. There's no reason the game can't have both.
>>
>>324033980
>So does that fact that Souls combat is
>>sidestepping until I slam them with a lightning zweihander/backstab
>mean that that is all that Souls combat is capable of?

sorry about this
>b-but souls

deflecting to another game doesnt make it any better, i hope you'll agree with me on this

secondly, that doesnt work with bosses in souls games, while the quen tactic still applies for witcher bosses

lastly, but i know you havent played it, they fixed the backstab problem in bloodborne.
also mind you souls have backstep, not sidestep. the game with sidestep fixed that problem

i know you'll come up with other excuses or deflections, but i had to leave it here
>>
>>324034783
Also it's worth noting that (at least on higher difficulties) if you get hit one or two times from an enemy your level or higher you will be almost dead. So if the enemy does get a staggering strike that breaks Quen, with enough time to get some hits in, you will be on the brink.

I am pretty good with the combat but I've died a few times from various combat configurations, like getting jumped by multiple bandits of higher level and getting pincered. You still have to be careful in the higher difficulties when you engage in combat, using potions and spells intelligently.
>>
>>324034783
>That's all I'm getting. There's no reason the game can't have both.

Actually there is, no game is perfect anon, you cannot come up to me with a game which has the scope, size, graphical quality, story, voiceacting quality of TW3 AND very very solid combat.

Games cannot be developed infinitely, so the makers have to focus on some things, prioritize, and combat being "super responsive high-octane action" (or whatever you'd describe good combat as) was low priority for TW3 - because its mostly an RPG, and only action in part.
I played like 5 hours yesterday and haven't drawn my sword once in 3 of those...

>>324034806

>deflection

Its a parallel example cunt, my point was made - YOU deflected, my point was that you can cheese through any game with the cheapest shit if you want, or you can employ all your utility and spice up your own gameplay.

I never implied the two combat systems are on par at all, also by sidestep I simply mean strafing.

Theres no excuses here, Souls have better combat - but shit all for characters, story, decisions or roleplaying in general, TW3 has worse combat, but it fits much better to the forementioned elements of the game, which are actually there and good.

I can always tell when a person just goes out of his way to get offended, you guys always do this
>b-but souls
part.

If you were to try and honestly reply, you'd quote me, and not write up your own quote to respond to.
>>
>>324033980
reread the post you replied to, dark souls isnt even mentioned.
now, you can either agree with what is stated, disagree and bring examples or refrain from replying.

following your logic i could say the order 1886 is good because there are shittier games
>>
>>324035651

Actually you need to re-read the post.

Why is it that you guys either
>lol you mentioned another game how pathetic
or
>lol give me examples of other games, if you can't thats pathetic
>>
>>324035258
I'm playing on the step up from normal right now and it's progressing relatively smoothly, unless I'm fighting 3+ things and I get stunlocked to death.
>>324035553
Alright then all things aside, would you say this game could be enjoyed by the combat alone or is this just too much of a story driven game? A lot of my friends who played this recommended it to me on the combat and I'm just not digging it.
>>
>>324017282
Well memed friend. If you are retarded enough to play through the game without realising there is a toggle for walk/ run you should ask your mom to get you checked out m8
>>
>>324036015
It's definitely a game where it's a lot harder in the beginning than it is as the game goes on. I got all the first level cat school gear and it's made me pretty capable in most combat situations.
>>
>>324035553
>but shit all for characters, story, decisions or roleplaying in general
how can decision making be shit in dark souls when there's no decisions to make? aside refraining from killing shit or choosing good/bad ending

>but it fits much better to the forementioned elements of the game
shit combat fits story, characters, decsions etc?
are you insane?
either combat is good or it isnt, and a good combat always suits a game better
>>
>>324036015

No I wouldn't, at all.
Protip: no game that has a literal 'story mode' will ever have combat that is worth it by itself.

TW3 is all about the world, the story/sidestories, the characters, and Geralt's interaction.

I practically consider combat part of the graphics - because you can make it very pretty and fluid.
>>
>>324036287

Thats the point - Souls games lack something that TW3 has, and TW3 lack something that Souls has.

Back to my point earlier - all games have priorities on aspects, and TW3's combat is not "bad", simply low priority.

The same way the story/roleplaying of those games aren't 'bad' just low priority (or not a priority at all).

Bad combat is that literally gets in your way and annoys you, that has zero depth or variation and yet is endlessly required. TW3 is not that at all, its definitely good enough to support the high priority aspects of the game - and on harder difficulties can even be challanging.
>>
File: 1452359922879.gif (961 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1452359922879.gif
961 KB, 250x188
>>324036350
Well that's disappointing to hear. Thanks for some insight instead of being a frothing at the mouth idiot.
>>
>>324035761
you need to re-read again, then once more time: either refrain from writing bullshit or bring examples FROM THE GAME IN QUESTION in order to refute the statement.
that was pretty obvious. it seems you have to defend the game in every single aspect.

the gameplay is shit, so what? you have to tell me there are shittier games with shittier gameplay to make it sound good?

im fucking done with witcherdrones, i myself praised the story, lore and characters, but the controls and combat is shit.
cant fucking believe how defensive you are, game is good, not perfect, deal with it
>>
>>324012860
Game is great.
Stop having shit taste.
>>
>>324037062

Stop pissing yourself in rage you cunt

>>324036641
>>324035553

are both my posts, you read-around them it seems or would just prefer to not get my point even when its shoved down your throat.

Or maybe you only follow (You)s like a good drone.
>>
>>324036641
>combat is not "bad", simply low priority

is this a new meme?
you know what anon, it has potential
>>
>>324037486
easy there, or you'll be in two wetting your pants
>>
>>324037753

How smart
Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.