[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dude just turn your brain off and let the game play itself :)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
>dude just turn your brain off and let the game play itself :)
>>
Take your adderall
>>
It was the best interactive movie I have 'played' yet

Good written, nice (kinda foreshadowed) plottwist
and it was exciting till the end
It started to feel a bit rushed towards the end though

Well, in my opinion this was better than anything TTG has made thus far
>>
15fps, shit gameplay.

It makes me angry that this is being sold as a video game and it's actually being praised on /v/
>>
>>324005661
I'm glad you're angry.
>>
At least it wasn't a David Cage game
>>
>>324005561
>better than anything TTG has made thus far
I was talking about the stuff they made since The Walking Dead

>>324005661
>15fps
yes thats true
Its unoptimized as fuck and has constant framedrops, especially in the intro scene and towards the end when it gets more action-packed

>shit gameplay
It's an interactive movie and I think it is sold as one, not sure though. WHat were you expecting?
Maybe it could have had some puzzle solving
>>
the only criticism i have of this game is that once you see the monster, the game doesn't get scary anymore.

it looks like something straight out of The Descent.
>>
>>324006028
>Its unoptimized as fuck and has constant framedrops

It's a fantastic looking game running on outdated hardware. It seriously needs a PC port.
>>
>>324005125
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>324006301
Its made by Sony, so no way

Actually it was meant to be a PS3 game at first, but production took way to long

Before Until Dawn, I played The Order
while it looks even better and had a way more constant framerate - it was pretty boring
So yeah, if Ready At Dawn could pull it off, then I think the hardware is not really the problem here
>>
>>324005125
This "game" could have been really great, but they didn't do anything interesting with player choice. All you get is a series of checks to decide if a player dies. A good CYOA story should be completely different each time through.
>>
>>324005125
Too bad it's only on PS4, i enjoy interactive movie from time to time. It's a bit like the book where you are the hero
And since it's impossible to find good P&C now day, it's the only stuff left.
Damn I miss the Gabriel Knight serie
>>
>>324005125
>let the game play itself :)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: ThingPoster.jpg (23 KB, 223x350) Image search: [Google]
ThingPoster.jpg
23 KB, 223x350
really stupid but it was fairly entertaining. i think a game based on the thing done in a similar style could be interesting.
>>
Until Dawn is the game David Cage wishes he could make.

It's basically the golden standard for this sort of game.
Telltale and Quantic Dream should take notes.
>>
Was fun to watch a friend drop the ball on a perfect run even with a guide.

>>324006863
I would pay $40~ for that
>>
>>324006028
>what were you expecting when you bought a video game?

a video game with actual gameplay. I know this sounds crazy on neo-/v/ however
>>
>>324007281
Are you saying that you were unaware of what sort of game Until Dawn was at the time of purchase?

Do you not do even the minimal amount of research before buying something?
For 60 fucking US dollars?
>>
>>324006863
The thing game was great though
>>
>>324007350
so I should have to research if a fucking video game being sold is actually a video game? do you research if the steak you're buying is actually meat and not dogshit? do you research if a movie playing in the theater is actually a movie and not just a screen flashing pictures?
>>
>>324007586
what the fuck is wrong with you holy shit

you never even played this have you
>>
File: 1417583626669.png (645 KB, 722x525) Image search: [Google]
1417583626669.png
645 KB, 722x525
>>324007586
>>
>>324006947
Not necessarily. Overall, I still think Heavy Rain had better 'gameplay' since it was a much bigger scope and ended up offering a lot more replayability.
>>
>>324007719
>ended up offering a lot more replayability
But your choices mean nothing it's always the same guy
>>
>>324007619
answer the fucking questions I just asked you instead. If I go to the PSN store I shouldn't have to do goddamn research to be sure that what I'm buying is an actual video game with gameplay.
>>
File: 1447979255065.jpg (10 KB, 333x342) Image search: [Google]
1447979255065.jpg
10 KB, 333x342
>>324007586
>so I should have to research if a fucking video game being sold is actually a video game?
No.
You check out a game before you buy it to make sure that you find it interesting enough to buy.

That is the purpose of a trailer.
Same goes for literally anything you could ever possibly purchase.

Doing otherwise is called impulse buying and you're liable to wind up spending money on something you don't actually want.

And while we're at it, what the fuck is "actual gameplay," anon?
Would you be so kind as to quantify that for me?

>>324007719
I dunno man, UD has collectibles as well as the same gimmick that HR had.
>>
Can you literally watch this "game" somewhere in youtube? any channel with a whole playtrough to watch with only the ingame stuff?

Im not interested in playing it but would like to "watch" it .
>>
>>324007350
Not all of us are poor like you anon. Some of us just buy things to rack up the sky miles.
>>
>>324007840
>neo-/v/ wants to know what gameplay in a video game is.

just fucking kill me.
>>
>>324007986
Not him but he asked what "actual gameplay" is. What is the difference between "actual gameplay" and "not actual gameplay"?
>>
>>324007586

Are you retarded? I'm serious, who in their right mind does literally no research on a game before spending money on it? Do you just buy games based on their titles or something?
>>
>>324007953
The Scary Game Squad playthrough is very good.

>>324007986
That's not an answer, friend.
>>
>>324007986
The idea that every game has to have action game elements and Puzzle and Adventure games ought not to exist came about on this board way after neo-v, senpai. Guess where that puts you.
>>
>>324008090
>>324008150
I want neogaf to leave.

>>324008096
if I buy an EXCLUSIVE video game for a console, I shouldn't have to worry about shit like "hm what if it's not a video game..."
>>
>>324007780
Of course it's always the same guy, just like how it's always the Wendigo.

But you had different endings and different scenes depending on what you did whereas UD was much more linear.
>>
>>324008260

Do you buy RTS games and get upset because it's not an FPS?
>>
>>324007586

but a movie is just a screen flashing pictures
>>
>>324008260
>I want neogaf to leave.
Dude all I want to know is how you define "actual gameplay," and what about Until Dawn excludes it from that definition.

It shouldn't be that hard.

>"hm what if it's not a video game..."
So your only criteria for the purchase of a game is that it is, in fact, a video game?
You just walk into GameStop with a cart, toss a bunch of games in and ring it up.
"Oh, it's fine, because I'm getting video games." he said as the employee checks out $670 worth of shovelware Wii titles, because this customer is so indiscriminatory in his purchases that literally anything released on a video game console will suffice, until he plays it and decides that this video game he bought is not actually a video game.
>>
fucking sony shills in this thread defending a movie with a few minutes of 15fps "gameplay". fuck you.
>>
>>324007840
>I dunno man, UD has collectibles as well as the same gimmick that HR had.
They didn't really have the same gimmick. Heavy Rain's gimmick was that your choice shape the story to a big extent where you can have people die, people fail, change scenes around, and get completely different endings.

Until Dawn doesn't ever branch out into different storylines and remains very linear until the end. It's very noticeable with Matt and Jessica, where if you do get them killed they only show up again for like 5 minutes near the end of the game.
>>
Can I get fuckers killed in the opening scenes before anything scary even starts happening? Like with the icicle and shit. I can't be bothered to reinstall it to check, but at the same time I want to see how that plays out.
>>
>>324008782
But if a character dies, the story continues without them.

HR basically boils down to the exact same gimmick. The story more or less takes the same beats regardless of what you do.

There are more endings but at the end of the day, who's gonna play through HR that many times? Honestly.
>>
>>324008761
You're not fooling anyone anon. Samefagging will get you nowhere.

All you have to do is give me a straight answer.

What is "gameplay?" What about Until Dawn is not gameplay?
This should be an easy question to answer but I for the life of me can't seem to get one out of you.
>>
>>324007586
I hope you're not trolling, because your tears are delicious.
>>
>>324008912
I think you can change pretty much nothing in the intro scene
That weird doctor even says so
>What did I tell you?
>You cannot change the past only the future
or something like that
>>
The Order: 1886 was a better interactive movie imo. Prove me wrong. pro Tip: You literally can't.
>>
>>324007509
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>324008920
>But if a character dies, the story continues without them.
Continues the exact same way.

If a character dies in HR, you lose out on a lot of exclusive scenes to them and the story changes. For example, if Madison dies but then you fuck up with Norman, no one will be able to call him to come to the final boss battle. Or if Norman dies early and Ethan gets arrested, he won't get bailed out of Jail and his story basically dead ends.
>>
>>324009312

Until Dawn was trying to be an interactive Slasher film and it succeeded

The Order was trying to both be an interactive movie while also catering to shooter fans and it failed at both
>>
>>324009312
Well, you might be arguably right, in the way that it has more "gameplay". On the other end, the order is sold as a tps, and it's a damn mediocre one at that. UD is sold as an interactive movie, and is a damn good one.
>>
>>324009246
Not the prologue, chapter 1.
I figure even if you do all the worst stuff possible in chapter 1 you'll still be saved from the icicle in some way though.
>>
File: 1452437654701.gif (1 MB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1452437654701.gif
1 MB, 500x250
>>324005125
I had fun watching it on youtube.
If it comes out for PC I'll buy it sometime,
>>
>>324009650
Everyone in Until Dawn has plot armor until a given part of the game.

I'm not sure that anyone can die in the first chapter, but your choices are farther reaching than in similar games so something you do in the first chapter may mean your death later on.
>>
File: 1419680819149.gif (1 MB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
1419680819149.gif
1 MB, 392x400
>>324009725
>tfw Dangan Ronpa coming to PC confirmed
>>
>>324009773
I googled it and apparently Mike can't die until the last chapter so that he's still there to conclude the story. That sucks, you ought to be able to lose the game without concluding the story. As hilariously bad as Heavy Rain's story was I at least liked that you could do that.
>>
File: tumblr_mjx7acvLMu1ql54iro1_500.gif (580 KB, 450x190) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjx7acvLMu1ql54iro1_500.gif
580 KB, 450x190
>>324005661
only dipshit artfags praise it. you know, the casuals who play games for the story.

it's one of the worst pieces of cunt i've ever played. i returned it the day after i bought it. horrible, horrible game. horrible.
>>
It promises freedom of choice and impact on the story but this promise is broken within the first 10 minutes of the game, since it doesn't matter if you let Beth fall to her death or just both twins drop, eventually they both fall down the cliff. The only difference is the order in which they fall, not the outcome.

The game is constantly interrupted by a creepy shrink, asking about your inner fears, supposedly to make the game as terrifying for you as possible but again, answering these questions does nothing to alter the game other than some snarky remarks by the shrink.

The only tension in the game is built up by jump scares and what little tension there might be built up is quickly ruined by quick time events that can be ignored most of the time.

The game has a relationship-meter that shows your currently played character's relationship status towards the other characters, which again, has no impact on the game, not even the dialogue

There are totems to collect, which are supposed to help you with visions of your played character's death for you try and avoid said death. But they are also useless since the split second sequences shown in them spoil more than they help you

The story is built up like a murder mystery horror movie like Saw or Scream, but about in the middle of the game, it changes to some weird cannibal cursed super gollums, which is not only far fetched but overthrows the whole direction the story went. It takes you right out of the somewhat realistic story and replaces it with super natural mumbo jumbo which, OF COURSE, went completely unnoticed by the public and the ONE GUY that knows about what's going on, just stays there atop of the mountain even though a PERFECTLY FINE cable car could have gotten him to savety the day he found out about the curse. It's completely stupid and the characters unlikable.

The story is written so that you can finish it with all characters alive or all characters dead, but still has the exact same outcome.
>>
Glorified VN with massive production values and terrible framedrops for no apparent reason.

Not a particularly good VN either.
>>
>>324010383
>The story is built up like a murder mystery horror movie like Saw or Scream, but about in the middle of the game, it changes to some weird cannibal cursed super gollums

Almost every different chapter was a homage to one iconic horror movie theme or another. If you go into it as someone who doesn't enjoy schlocky teen horror movies you're gonna be disappointed, because it's pretty much just the straight-faced, violent equivalent of scooby doo and based entirely on one of the least intelligent movie genres around.
>>
Oh piss off, the entire industry has been casualised.

Enjoying Fallout 4? 4 is for the number of dialogue options you get.

Enjoying The Witcher 3: Stop, drop and roll?

Enjoying Undertale - the goal of the game is to not play the game?

Enjoying the hundreds of action games that want you to press X to do continue cut scene?
>>
>>324010383
>The story is built up like a murder mystery horror movie like Saw or Scream, but about in the middle of the game, it changes to some weird cannibal cursed super gollums, which is not only far fetched but overthrows the whole direction the story went.
But they were foreshadowing that since the prologue with the Predator vision and the blowtorch guy in the woods.

Plus all the items hinting at it being Native American grounds and shit.
It wasn't hard to see the wendigo thing coming, or at least expect something related to Native American mythology.
>>
>>324008260
>If I buy an EXCLUSIVE video game for a console, I shouldn't have to worry about shit like "hm what if it's not a video game..."
But you bought a PS4 exclusive
That's the kind you SHOULD check first you dunce
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.