[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doesn't the Gamecube debunk the whole "Nintendo needs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 9
File: Nintendo_GameCube_Purple_Model.png (647 KB, 836x990) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_GameCube_Purple_Model.png
647 KB, 836x990
Doesn't the Gamecube debunk the whole "Nintendo needs 3rd party!" claims? It had plenty of 3rd party support and still didn't sell particularly well.
>>
>>323992281

Gamecube did better than WiiU.
>>
>>323992369
Your point being?
>>
File: 1344379312523.jpg (692 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1344379312523.jpg
692 KB, 1280x960
>>323992281
No 2nd party support.
>>
It also had stronger hardware than the PS2 and yet it was the underpowered console that sold much better
>>
Did it really have plenty? it's been a while but all i can remember is some capcom and sega

Eventually though, pretty much every worthwhile third party game came to PS2 anyways

Nintendo shouldn't have sold a console that looks like a lunchbox
>>
>>323992281
Super Mario sunshine was the best 3d mario next to 64
>>
>>323992281
maybe because nintendo refused to release gta 3 on this system which spooked other devs
>>
>>323992495
>Nintendo shouldn't have sold a console that looks like a lunchbox
So we're really going to resort to blaming how it physically looks? Clearly you have nothing else.
>>
>>323992281
It dosen't matter people will find some other excuse.
>>
>>323992495
It didn't have tons of third party exclusives but received all of the Medal of Honor / Sports games that PS2/Xbox got, which is a significant step up from where the WiiU is, and represents a sizable chunk of people who play video games.
>>
It was still trying to shake of its uncool kiddie reputation. Nobody was succeeding against the juggernaut of the PS2.
>>
>>323992281
>It had plenty of 3rd party support
in the era of PS2... Which has more than 1300 games
>>
>>323992495
It had plenty of multiplats shared with PS2/XB, beefy hardware relative to the PS2, a lower price point than both PS2 and XB and lots of its own exclusives. And it still sold like fucking dogshit.

Better hardware will not magically make all these AAA dves port their games to a Nintendo platform. It's all demographics, the audience for those games just aren't on Nintendo's platform in large enough numbers.

>>323992530
GTA was too much but Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil were not?
>>
>>323992681
You might be surprised by the common consumer. I met a lot of kids back then that got rid of their game cubes "because it looks gay
". Plenty of people will reject something on superficial levels like that.
>>
>>323992681

The video game buying consumer base is superficial, they see a purple lunch box and instantly think "kiddy console, no thanks"

I don't think it would have sold gangbusters regardless, but their retarded design absolutely cost them lots of sales
>>
>>323992495
>what is the capcom 5
>what is barely utilized online capabilites
>what is fucking up the disc format because of muh piracy
>>
>>323992865
But it launched in black too
>>
>>323992954
>online capabilites
Gamecube could into online?
Since when?
>>
>>323992681
Remember how the NES was designed to look like a VHS player, because toy retailers were afraid of selling something that looked like a game console?
>>
>>323992281
Armchair analysts will tell you up and down what Nintendo needs to do, conveniently forgetting they've done it in the past already. People just want a Nintendo ps4 pretty much.
>>
>>323992760
People often forget that the original xbox did not due that much better than the gamecube sales wise.
>>
>>323992495

Plenty, compared to WiiU.
>>
>>323992281
As someone who lived through the marketing and sales of the console it was because PS2 and Xbox had more deseriable game and the multiplat games werent as good on the cube. Simple as that games like GTA and Halo are more popular than melee.

Teenagers especially didn't want some console to relive their cartoony childhood, they wanted foul language, gore, and tits.
>>
>>323993078

I'm pretty sure it was literally just for a fantasy star game. If you look on the bottom side of the gamecube, there is a long port that can be opened up, which was where you could plug in the online adapter
>>
>>323992281
It HAD plenty of 3rd party support, but they all jumped ship when Nintendites spent their cash mostly on 1st party stuff.

Some of that had to do with the idiotic button placement on the controller. Not a lot of 3rd party games made use of that huge green button exclusively over all else.

Plus the mini-discs were weak as fuck compared to DVD/Dual-Layer DVD.
>>
>>323993078
PSO
>>
>>323993078
Since PSO.
>>
>>323993245
>multiplat games werent as good on the cube
Bullshit, GC usually got the best versions.
>>
It was an early 2000's console. Maybe 3rd parties still held some resentment towards Nintendo from their late 80's-early 90's monopoly, especially considering Sony was one hell of an alternative come the PS1. I mean, I like Nintendo but they don't do a whole lot to play nice with other companies.
>>
>>323993038
Still an ugly ass lunch box.
>>
>>323993078
The Gamecube had a nearly unused port that could be hooked up to a modem for online and LAN.
Phantasy Star Online I & II and Phantasy Star CARD Revolution were the only games that had online.

I remember reading that Star Wars Rogue Squadron was planned to have online but Nintendo was convinced that online play was just a fad and didn't push it.

>>323993123
Exactly. Against the sheer hype of the PS2 nothing could compete. The Dreamcast crumbled under its mere announcement.
>>
>>323992281
the Gamecube was their last great console

nintoddlers will reply to my post and angrily disagree with me
>>
>>323993245
>As someone who lived through the marketing and sales of the console
You say that as if it were a feat.
>>
>>323993082
It's also why it was called an "Entertainment System"
>>
>>323993393
Xbox, actually.
>>
>>323993245
>Teenagers especially didn't want some console to relive their cartoony childhood, they wanted foul language, gore, and tits.
That marketing scheme didn't happen until the 360.
>>
>>323993393
>Bullshit, GC usually got the best versions.
No the Xbox got the best multiplats
>>
>>323993432
>The Gamecube had a nearly unused port that could be hooked up to a modem for online and LAN.
>Nintendo was convinced that online play was just a fad and didn't push it.
hahaha holy shit
>Could've had SSBM online
>Four Swords online
>SC2 with Link online
>>
>>323993335
>Some of that had to do with the idiotic button placement on the controller
The buttons were great. You just need to roll your thumb a little in any direction off the A button to hit B, X or Y. You can immediately tell what you're pressing just by the shape and placement of the button. It's much more intuitive/ergonomic and you get more feedback from simply having your finger on the button.

The GC pad was just not great for shooters, sticks didn't click and the C-stick was too small.
>>
>>323993571
>what is mortal kombat genesis port
>>
>>323993502
I have played online multiplayer with kids younger than my steam account. Mid 20's your no longer the young generation.
>>
>>323993474

I disagree in that, better multiplat support notwithstanding, Gamecube wasn't really any better than Wii if you don't have a hateboner for the Wiimote. Both consoles' libraries were by and large the same song and dance.
>>
>>323993641
Tony Hawk was great with the GC controller.
>>
>>323993393
>>323993245
XB got the best versions, but the differences between those and the GC versions were usually minimal, if even noticeable. Now the PS2 is where multiplats really suffered noticeably as the console was less powerful than either GC or XB.
>>
>>323993571
I am not talking about what the companies presented themselves as. I am talking about what people from like 5th-12th grade actually wanted at the time.
>>
>>323993245
Melee sold over 7 million copies, that was about as much as Halo CE or Halo 2 on XB. If anything Melee is the only game on any of those consoles people still give half a shit about at all.
>>
File: 1425874799365.jpg (186 KB, 1024x665) Image search: [Google]
1425874799365.jpg
186 KB, 1024x665
>>323992281
It would have been harder to make that point but it didn't stop people from saying it then and during the previous gen.

The problem with Nintendo is marketing and generating hype among those who generate hype. If anything the Wii U should prove that exclusives don't matter because the Wii U has the most and it's dead last. Which is an unfortunate turn of events but the truth hurts more often than not.
>>
>>323992802
That's fantasy violence vs life like violence, Nintendo has made a business on fantasy violence.

Besides the biggest problem was the disc format being half the size in terms of GB space compared to DVD format.
>>
>>323993632
Nintendo does this a lot
>Sega CD does well at first
>well guess we better make an cd attachement for the SNES, lets get Sony to help with our new "SNES Play Station"
>What? Sony wants rights to develop their own games on our CD attachment? Away with them, I bet Philips can cut us a better deal. They can keep what they already worked on.
>Sega CD starts to fail
>Well I guess CD's were a fad after all. Let's scrap the CD attachement and just score a few bucks by letting them develop a few games on the CDI
>I'm sure using consoles on the 64 will be fine

>fastforeward a decade
>Sega has an online service? Then we must have one too. Let's put it on our CD drive attachement for the 64?
>Oh, it's failing? I guess online is just a fad then.
>>
>>323992802
GTA3 was getting all the soccer mom flak back then.
And you expect any of them to have even heard of Eternal Darkness?
>>
File: Dildo.jpg (37 KB, 600x498) Image search: [Google]
Dildo.jpg
37 KB, 600x498
>>323994141
Don't worry, they got Sony back good.
>>
Nothing was wrong with the gamecube at the time. The PS2 was just too good and killed the competition.
>>
>>323994141
meant to say
*i'm sure using cartridges on the 64 will be fine

Also, they thought that extremely violent video games liked Killer Instinct were also a fad. The world would return to colorful mascots, any day now.
>>
It didn't have GTA, the most important third party title

It's exclusives were also lacking compared to N64, no Rare hurt them hard, Goldeneye made N64 fly off the shelves, nothing on GCN did that

It's only big selling title was Melee, but that sold slowly over a long time
>>
>>323994150
>And you expect any of them to have even heard of Eternal Darkness?
What about Resident Evil and all the shooters it had? GC had plenty of violent M-rated games.
>>
>>323994606
>no Rare hurt them hard
Given what Rare made for the XB instead I'd have to disagree.
>>
>>323994590
That's true though, in the early 90's violence sold, it's not a big deal anymore, your game doesn't have to be gritty & violent
>>
>>323992802
GC didn't
>sell like dogshit

Microsoft had a marginal win over it with Xbox and they both got outplayed by the PS2.
>>
>>323994761
Even so its unavoidable that the berth of popular video games today tend towards mature violence. See: the entire FPS genre
>>
The PS2 was always going to do better than the gamecube but the reason the PS2 sold THAT much more was because it could play DVDs which were hot shit in the early 00s. Without this functionality it would have only done marginally better
>>
>>323993335
>Plus the mini-discs were weak as fuck compared to DVD/Dual-Layer DVD.

This probably had more to do with it. They made the GameCube only worrying about the CD-ROM format and once they rolled out the cube, devs were already turned on by DVD-ROMs.
>>
>>323994698
This. Rare had already died, Nintendo just flogged the corpse before anyone realised.
>>
>>323992281
Blame the retarded disc format.
>>
>>323996571
Nobody cared at the time, fact.
>>
>>323995707
PS2 had GTA3, FFX & MGS2 before GC launched, GC was fucked with or without a DVD player
>>
>>323996617
>people didn't care that they could pay the same price for a different console that also served as a DVD player which back then 90% of the population still lacked

You are either underage or retarded, fact.
>>
Wii u has no first party support.
>>
>>323996854
DVD compatibility is why the PS2 sold monstrously well, but if you remember the climate at the time you'd know that it wasn't an exclusive feature gamers were looking for.
>>
>>323992281
Somebody never played the snes
>>
>>323997065
Two completely different market landscapes, mong.
>>
The GameCube came out 15 years ago.

The gaming market is very different now.
>>
>>323997125
Retarded mang
>>
>>323996617

It was one reason the GameCube suffered from a lack of third party support. Good games that actually got ported had to be put on multiple discs. Hell even shitty games a few years in had multiple discs, like this ninja turtle game my brother had. GC discs had 1/3 the storage capacity of single layer DVD.
>>
>>323997248
>GameCube suffered from a lack of third party support
Except it didn't, it had a lot by today's standards. PS4 must be in the fucking shitter by your logic.
>>
>>323997356

I was a kid who only had a gamecube and when I got my game magazines in the mail I could only sigh and wish I was able to play the games coming to PS2/Xbox.
>>
>>323997439
Same, actually.
>>
It didn't have GTA, that was the big one. It did have FF or MGS, but not proper ones. The PS2 was the one that got all the Japanese heavy hitters, Xbox got all the heavy western hitters. GameCube is pretty much like what PC is now; the library depends entirely on the whims of publishers.

Consider: PC and GC often fought to see who could get a port. Those two were the "least concern" platforms of the gen, and publishers had to either choose one, or neither.
>>
>>323992281
Don't get me wrong but trying to create principles out of things that happened during 6th gen where PS2 completely dominated is dumb.

Even then, by that time the "big" multiplat(or partially multiplat) series were things like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy, all of them in decline(from 90's where they've sold much, much more). Then of course sport games. And the best selling games of the generation were of course GTA games, but a hefty part of sales were console exclusive games(then again - exclusivity meant something different back then as lack of decent middleware until ~2003 made multiplat development a chore, so smaller devs just couldn't afford it).

Nowadays you have the following series: CoD, Battlefield, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Far Cry, Ass Creed, Watch_Dogs(likely), GTA, The Witcher, Mafia, Saints Row... and the lost goes on and on(and there are of course sport games). CoD alone outsells all gen 8 exclusive games on yearly basis. So here you have the modern perspective on it. Not having 3rd party support means that the majority of consumers who buy multiplats whole the time.

They have to pander to those consumers because making niche console simply not cost effective in these times. If you're chasing the niche you're going 3rd party. Plain and simple
>>
>>323997730

PC porting actually became a lot easier because of how Microsoft designed the Xbox. If you were releasing an Xbox game it wasnt much work to put it on Window, and vice versa.
>>
>>323993038
>wanting black anything
cuck
>>
>>323992281
People disregard the Gamecubes failure because they grew up on it and that means that its flawless.

They dont even realize that the WiiUs situation is the result of the Gamecubes and N64s shortcomings.
>>
>>323997834
Except the Xbox managed to sever Windows' support. MS used to actually help devs make PC games, IIRC Gabe Newell was the guy who suggested (or programmed, I don't remember) backwards compatibility for DOS games. MS themselves had to fix a memory leaking bug in SimCity that would cause systems to crash.

Then the Xbox comes out, and now it's their golden child.
>>
Gamecube did most things right, it's just that its competition was the PS2, so it didn't stand a chance. The PS2 had a DVD player at a time when most people didn't own one yet. There's also the fact that Nintendo was still using proprietary discs which probably turned off a lot of developers due to the increased manufacturing costs. The kiddy image probably didn't help either.
>>
>>323994606
>N64
>fly off the shelves
pick one
>>
>>323998185
It's also worth noting that the GC primary discs were way smaller than DVDs. Games like Twin Snakes are two discs long even though that amount of content easily fits on the PS2 (See: MGS2). Other games were heavily compressed and have ugly FMVs and bad audio as a result (See: many cheap multiplats. SSX Tricky is the first one I think of). It generally made the porting process more difficult, which may be why some third party developers avoided the system.
>>
>>323994141
>>323994141
>What? Sony wants rights to develop their own games on our CD attachment?

More like:
>What? Sony want ALL money that comes from that console and permission to use our characters?
>>
>>323998185

Nintendo also squandered what goodwill they had from fans with the N64. It is remembered fondly for Nintendo games, but at the time it was kind of a joke compared to the PS1 that had a bazillion more games that were significantly cheaper. Not only because of the CD format, but because of Sony's "greatest hits" collection that re-released popular games. Meanwhile, games like SM64 and Goldeneye were $50-$60 up until the end.
>>
>>323997730
PC didn't need console ports nor want them, PC had all the good non japanese exclusives back then, it wasn't until 7th gen were Consoles started ruining PC games
>>
>>323998185
Didn't do anything right except power that was limited by small discs. GameCube deserved to fail. Only people who liked it were baby's first console
>>
>>323998590
People say that PC lost exclusives, but the reality is that 7th gen is when everything got homogenized. PC devs now became console devs, and occasionally made PC versions. 8th gen is looking more like the console and PC generation, with only a few western multis not getting PC versions, and even the Japanese warming up to it. PC will never win Japan.
>>
When will this nintendo third party meme end?
Does anyone really want another system to play Assassins creed and Call of Duty on? NOBODY buys Nintendo systems for games other than Nintendo games.
>>
>>323992281
There are plenty of reasons why Nintendo's console marketshare has been on a more or less steady decline beyond 3rd party support.
For its part, the GameCube had a god-tier library of exclusives.
>>
>>323994141
Oh, and the only one at Nintendo who genuinely believed in online was Yamuchi, who was the drive behind Satelliview and RANDnet. When he left Nintendo in 200...1? I guess everyone just stopped caring until his ideas for the GC's online services were revived for the Wii and Wii U.
>>
>>323998784
There is literally no downside to Nintendo getting third parties. You don't have to buy them if you don't like them.
>>
File: 55201_front.jpg (31 KB, 640x483) Image search: [Google]
55201_front.jpg
31 KB, 640x483
>>323998185
Except the Gamecube did get DVD support. It just sold like shit, so Nintendo never bothered to do it again.
>>
>>323998784

this might be hard to understand but there was a time when people bought Nintendo consoles to play every game, instead of just Nintendo games.
>>
>>323998784
Are you literally retarded?
I want Nintendo to have third party games so I can play the latest shit and still support Nintendo and play their cool shit, instead of having to compromise or spend more money.
>>
>>323998921

weird, a cost prohibitive add on failed somehow?
>>
>>323997972
MS stopped supporting Windows with games because the old team that made the company so big has quit at this point.
Leftovers like Ballmer were there to run that company.

That's the entire reason why they've failed so many times with recent products.

Even the simplest thing - Windows 8 removed start menu, right? Why? Telemetry data from Windows 7 users has shown that people don't use start menu. Except the sample was nowhere near accurate for windows users as lots of them turned the telemetry off and gross majority of the ones that didn't were office PC's where by definition people use their utility programs and not much more and the statistics was about "all programs" sub-menu, not the entire start menu. So you see - they've failed to interpret statistics - 1st or 2nd biggest company in the world couldn't interpret statistics.

Even more - if there was any talent left in MS, they would know themselves what to do with start menu and wouldn't need those statistics. But there was none.

It can be applied to everything from Windows Live being a joke through Windows phone failing to Xbone having horrible launch.
>>
>>323998784
See you in "why doesn't WiiU sell billions of units?" thread... oh wait.
>>
>>323999060
It wasn't an addon though. It was its own console.
Also, addons don't always fail. See: Sega CD
>>
Gamecube is literally the only good console.
>>
>component cables for the Gamecube will always be a gorillion dollars

Why, nintendo? Why? You know pulling out the wiimote to play a GC game is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>323999069

>that feel when Bill Gates was the original advocate of PC gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36PA6SUpIWg

MS has never been the same without him.
>>
>>323999052
Why would you want third party games? They're not good, at all.
>>
>>323999728
see >>323999174
>>
>>323999728
You're memeing too hard.
>>
>>323999762
see>>323999728
>>
>>323999992
The topic of the discussion is about sales therefore your personal opinion on multiplats being good or bad doesn't matter as the reality shows that wider support = more sales therefore relevant to the topic.
>>
>>323999728
I bet you've never even played one.
>>
>>323993245
>"As someone who lived through the marketing and sales of the console"

Man what a pretentious fuck. But, as someone who lived thought he marketing and sales I can say the GameCube was fine for multiplayer even though games like Mario party sucked. The ps2 just had a bunch of random shit I could play on it and the Xbox just had halo.
>>
>>323998939
Literally over 20 years ago with the Super Nintendo
>>323999052
Fair enough
>>323999174
Third party is not going to help sell units. It didn't help on the Gamecube.
This is the same company that never put a dvd player in their consoles even though it was the reason the ps2 rekt the competition. The wii is even capable of it with mods.
>>
>>324000303
>Literally over 20 years ago with the Super Nintendo
*Nintendo 64

>>324000303
>This is the same company that never put a dvd player in their consoles even though it was the reason the ps2 rekt the competition.
see>>323998921
>>
>>324000303
>It didn't help on the Gamecube.
It sold as much as Xbox though.

PS2 was simply too much of juggernaut to make any comparisons out of this gen. The conditions back then were different as well(the overall console audience became bigger too, so you have to inflate those numbers).

The best selling console currently has the widest support as well. Coincidence? I think not.
>>
>>323992435
....ketchup on cabbage? like, okay, peanut butter on watermelon, thats good, but, what?
>>
>>323992281
And wii u proves that they need 3rd party.
Seriously 1 new game in 6 months and then that game isnt even developed by nintendo.
Nintendo lost its egde when it comes to software development, these days zhey are lucky if there isnt a drought 11 months of the year.
>>
>>324002131
Nobody is buying Nintendo so they can have a second or maybe even third CoD machine you dunce.
>>
>>324002313
There are other 3rd parties.

But let me tell you what nobody buys, a pure nintendo console so that they can only have 1 game per year and be bored the rest of the time.
Nintedo cant make more than maybe 2-3 noteworthy console games per year themselves. With such a poor lineup you are lucky when people take your console for free.
>>
>>324002559
>what nobody buys, a pure nintendo console so that they can only have 1 game per year
coughplaystationcough
>>
>>324002916
Sony has third parties. That's the whole point.

>b-b-but multiplats aren't games
>>
>>324002559
Quality over quantity. Say what you want about the Wii U but it has more exclusive games worth owning than Xbox and PS combined.
>>
>>323992487
>worrying about how a console looks
>>
>>323992487
The face of the industry has changed, though

Normies who just want cod and gta and sports games are the largest demographic now, which is why RPGs, RTS, proper shooters, racing, etc are all ded
>>
>>324003338
>Quality if quantity
If i look at their line up. They have neither quality nor quantity.
And at the end it dosent matter when you have 1 exclusive and the others have none because the 1 exclusive you have is your whole library while the others have other games.

There is a reason why the market is already rejecting the wii u and sales drop like a stone, while other consoles continue to gain momentum.
>>
>>324003669
>They have neither quality nor quantity.
Then you just don't like Nintendo games which makes your opinion on the matter useless.
>>
>>323992281
The GC debunks many things, first of all the "Nintendo needs powerful consoles to sell" myth as well.
>>
>>324003757
>the gc sold
>>
>>324003814
>reading comprehension
>>
>>324003735
The present iterations of Nintendo games this generation have been hugely disappointing to their predecessors largely because Nintendo has been rushing them in an effort to push Wii U sales which was a horrible flop from the beginning. They couldn't even get an online structure or features of (at the time) 7 year old consoles.
Why even bother with Ninendo hardware anymore. They'll go the way of SEGA one day.
>>
>>324003896
technically, you could read that both ways, comprehension wise. annnnd technically you could read my post likewise
>>
>>323992281
gamecube wasnt a dvd player as well...
>>
>>323992281
The Gamecube had better 3rd party support than we're used to from Nintendo, but it still paled in comparison to the PS2's 3rd party support.
>>
>>324003735
Funny you could use the Gamecube to say that Nintendo shouldnt bother with titles like F-Zero.
>>
>>324003735
>Mario tenis ultra smash
>devils third
>amiibo festival
>Tipping stars
>game & wario
>Wii fit u
>Wii sports club
>Mario & Sonic @2014
>Mario party 10
Truly a refined library for selected people with exquisite taste as me and you my dear friend.
>>
GameCube was fucking GOAT, better than the SNES
>>
>>324004168
boy do I love me some shitty cherry picked filler games.
>>
>>324004387
boy do i love posts that dont actually dispute anything but state opinions
>>
>>324003907
>The present iterations of Nintendo games this generation have been hugely disappointing to their predecessors
Name a sequel that hasn't been.

Your points are so easily disputed. Just admit you don't personally like Nintendo and move on.
>>
>>324002313
Looking at the Wii U's lifetime to date sales, it seems no one is buying Nintendo anyway.
>>
>>324004387
to be fair fampai, thats a lot of first party shit.
im a wiiu faggot and il admit you only need like, 4-5 good games to warrant buying a wiiu, which it has, but
>mario tennis
>amiibofest
>game and wario
>wiifit u
>wii sports club
>mario and sandisk
>mario party 10
that is A LOT of bad first party
>>
File: 1446441483962.png (3 MB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
1446441483962.png
3 MB, 1300x866
>>324004454
Because your post wasnt a shitty opinion to begin with?
When shitposting is all you want to do then go ahead.
Thats all the attention you'll get from me though.
>>
>>324004494
Why would it matter when it still manages to have a lot good stuff?
You think Nintendos first party stuff was always amazing?
Back then they actually used to fuck up core franchises like Donkey Kong and Star Fox regularly with shit like DK64 and pretty much everything that came after SF64.
>>
File: 1452210120628.jpg (36 KB, 498x498) Image search: [Google]
1452210120628.jpg
36 KB, 498x498
>>324004559
right, its factual, objective. those are actual games that actually sucked. thanks for clarifying
>no bro, xxxxxxx game was ACTUALLY good!
>>
>>324004631
>with shit like DK64
DK64 was fucking good you pleb
Star fox adventures on the other hand
>>
>>324004691
STA was good. It just wasn't a good Star Fox game. If was released as Dinosaur Planet on the N64, people would be raving about what a classic it was today.
>>
>>324004631
I could count on one hand each gen for games they fucked up. Now I'd have to grow hands.
Nintendo was never prepared for HD development, they had a mountain of cash from the Wii and DS and they squandered it on a console barely on par with 10 year old hardware and god knows what else.
>>
>>324004691
DK64 was so terrible that I went for Sony the next gen.

Fucking TERRIBLE game.
>>
>>324004815
you have no style, nor grace my friend.
>>
>>324004803
>I could count on one hand each gen for games they fucked up.
Nostalgia is quite the thing.
>>
Why did the gameboy player need that stupid ass disc? Ruined a perfectly good peripheral.
>>
>>324001904
You haven't eaten honey on cucumbers and pickles.
>>
>>323992281
Gambecube had better 3rd party support than WiiU (and Wii if you consider the fact that a lot of Wii's 3rd party games were shovelware) but it was not great.

Microsoft was buying up studios left and right and and Sony was strong arming Japanese devs into exclusivity. For everyone else Gamecube was still not a very appealing platform to develop for. It was less powerful than the competition (some people think it's more powerful than PS2 but this was effectively true at launch, devs continously unlocked more of PS2's capabilities throughout it's lifecycle) and there were limitations like disc capacity and the controller not being suited to shooters. It didn't have the colossal market share of PS2 or the PC cross-developmentability of Xbox. Nintendo was also more restrictive when it came to mature content.

Gambecube got cucked by substandard hardware and industry maneuvering on the part of its competitors. Most Gamecube titles worth remembering were 1st party.
>>
>>324004959
Because it had to boot that shit up.
The Super Gameboy didnt need that back then because it was one huge cartridge instead.
>>
>>324004959
>Ruined a perfectly good peripheral.
How when it comes with it? Does needing to put in a disc ruin the experience somehow?
>>
3rd party support is a scheme pushed largely by 3rd party publishers. EA, for example, abandoned the WiiU not because of fears regarding software sales, but out of spite because Nintendo refused to accept Origin's dick into their anus. EA wanted their network, Origin, to be Nintendo's online infrastructure, and Nintendo, predictably, told them to fuck off. It was no coincidence that afterwards, EA talked mad shit about Nintendo, and the games journos repeated it and the narrative EA pushed ad nauseum for a while.
>>
>>323992281
Death by reputation.

PS1 was an insanely good console out of nowhere, PS2 had its reputation to leech.

N64 was one of the most game barren consoles we had ever seen at that point, regardless of how fun smash/007 weekends with friends were. Gamecube had us worried again declining DVDs, not widely advertising the increase in 3rd party, and of course the Zelda bait and switch at the time.

A console either has to be insanely good, full of games, and advertise well or it has to sell on reputation. Nintendo had pissed on reputation and poorly advertised, and while great did not stand well over the other consoles to sell on impressiveness. Frankly PS1 was too god damn good for the PS2 not to crush it.
>>
>>324005702
>Does needing to put in a disc ruin the experience somehow?

YES! It absolutely does ruin it.
>>
The ps2 is the system that brought in the second casual wave (the first being the ps1).
Just so you know, everyone that says the ps2 is good is a newfag to games and wasn't here for the golden age (SNES).
sonyggers honestly don't belong on this board.
>>
>>324006000

How?
>>
>>324006124
How was it a bad console? Holy shit I can't even tell when you fucks are trolling anymore.
>>
>>324006215
it was the first major leap to casualism.
the games got easier, more dumbed down, and the playerbase grew.
the industry grew, and now we have the sorry video game industry we have now.
I know you sonyggers like to on the blame on xbox 360, but know that you guys are the progenitors of the casual state we are in.
not to mention the fact that the ps2 was THE shittiest console in terms of power that gen.
>>
>>324006438

Dreamcast was worse
>>
>>324006481
it didn't cause the damage that sony did with the playstation series
>>
>>323992281
What's the revisionism became popular on the /v/ saying Gamecube was less powerful than its competitors? It was second after XBox power-wise.
I'll laugh if someone will begin to claim that PSX was more powerful than N64.
>>
>>324006438
N64 games were a lot easier than SNES and those were easier than NES.

There is no magic breaking point but a slow normalization as gaming grew into the populace passed down through generations and childhood memories. People just claim the 360 because it wasn't just a drop in difficulty but in overall quality of even the major titles not just the shovelware.
>>
>>324006438
>the games got easier, more dumbed down
You can't prove this.
>>
>>323992495
Man, say what you will about the Gamecube's design, but you have to admit, between the lightness and the handle, that little thing was practical as fuck if you wanted to go play vidya with friends before widespread online console gaming.
>>
>>324006626
N64 was a ferrari engine in a ford pinto, not sure that counts as power given its memory and buffer bottlenecks from latency, lack cpu to ram access, and texture buffer the size of a fly's vag. Gamecube was 2nd in power, but had to follow a console with a low game count and derped on its storage format, granted less of a derp than the N64. And I'll laugh if you say most games didn't use much of the DVDs on other consoles, because the average was over 3gb by the end.
>>
>>324006438
Go back far enough and you'll find people calling the NES casual trash.
>>
>>324006438
>he ps2 is the system that brought in the second casual wave
>it was the first major leap to casualism.
Make up your mind.
>>
>>324006937
The first major leap to casualism was ATARI
>>
File: 1413473029196.png (432 KB, 496x562) Image search: [Google]
1413473029196.png
432 KB, 496x562
>>324005967
EA did the same with Sega back then.

Sega wanted to release their own sports games, but EA said that they wouldnt release FIFA , Madden and all the other shit unless they stopped.

Sega refused so the Dreamcast got 0 support from them which was a huge problem for them.
Its also why EA has such a monopoly on sports games currently.

EA is by far the biggest cancer.
>>
>>324008015
Actually arcades.
Only time videogames were truly niche shit was when they only ran on supercomputers.
>>
>>323993393

Xbox got the best versions

PS2 didn't win graphically, but a majority of the time, it was the lead platform and it had the most features. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 comes to mind
>>
>>323992281
it had less games than the Xbox.

>what is the snes
>what is the nes
>what is the ds
>what is the gameboy
>what is the gameboy advance

The wii had a ton of 3rd party support it was just all trash games because the market for it were normalfag shitters impressed by a fad.
>>
>>323992487
yes because it was babby's first DVD player, had an established brand and launched a year before the gamecube or xbox. so impressive. maybe if you're an idiot.
>>
>>323994141
I've read that Philips actually got to make their CD console then get those Mario and Zelda games as an agreement because the Odyssey brand, which has a patent about videogame consoles being hooked up to the TV (or something like that), was woned by Philips and every new console manufacturer had to get an agreement from them.
>>
>>323992487
It wasn't more powerful than the ps2, each had its strenghts
>in b4 muh resi4
Suck my dick
>>
>>323992281
It had less 3rd party support than PS2.
While I'm at it, GC didn't do well because PS2 was its main competitor.
Being able to play DVD videos and pirated to hell made the whole difference too.
>>
Nintendo could make the most 3rd party-friendly console in history and they'd still make up all sorts of excuses not to support it. They seriously need to focus instead of making great titles that actually move hardware and essentially force 3rd parties to jump on because of the massive success of the console.
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.