[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one of these do you think is a better game? Remember, there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: DeusExHumanRevolutionCover.png (1 MB, 1199x745) Image search: [Google]
DeusExHumanRevolutionCover.png
1 MB, 1199x745
Which one of these do you think is a better game?
Remember, there is only one correct opinion.
>>
The original but they're both excellent.
>>
>>323922371
Original
>>
>>323924239
Correct
>>
>>323922371
>there is only one correct opinion
That is wrong; if it is already a "matter of opinion", not fact anymore, there is no right or wrong.
Opinions are neither, and there is no limit to the amount possible.
>>
montreal needed to be a third hub area in hr
>>
>>323925846
Thank you anon, don't forget to write an essay for posterity.
>>
Original, how is that even a question.
>>
I really couldn't get into the original. The gunplay was terrible, the enemies just dropped everything and starter running around like headless chicken the moment they stubbed their toe, and stealth was barebones at best. Not that HR is perfect in either regard, but it's definitely better.

The story was shit in both cases.
>>
>>323926795
Because of people like >>323926858
>>
Original.

Deus Ex > Human Revolution > Invisible War
>>
>>323926980
This anon knows his stuff.
>>
>>323926858

You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.
>>
Any hopes for Mankind Divided?
>>
>>323927158

Trailers make it seem way too action and augment-gimmick focused, but it will probably be good. A solid 7/10, like Human Revolution.
>>
Cast of HR was either totally forgettable or fucking retarded. Story was boring, then the final two levels hit and it got even more retarded.
I'd take the original every day, even with worse mechanics.
>>
MISTAH JC DENTON

IN DA FRESH
>>
>>323927158
It will be better than HR, probably. Solid if not too exciting gameplay, better than what you get in most modern games, some good aesthetics, hopefully some improved level design, and writing that puts you to sleep.
>>
>>323927158
Looks too much like Human Revolution. Judging by the gameplay video it will have pretty much all the big problems that made HR so meh.
>takedowns
>experience for dealing with enemies based on how you do it
>augs again consolized
>no duality of skills/augs as in the original
>no melee weapons
>>
The original is obviously better but HR is still really good and single handily saved the series after the turd that was Invisible War
>>
>>323926910
>>323927148
Nice argument, the original game aged like shit.
>>
>>323927637
Deus Ex didn't need saving. I have no issues with the existence of HR, but it didn't NEED to be a Deus Ex game.
>>
Let's be honest.

The original has aged like milk. The story still remains good, but the combat/voice acting/graphics has aged like shite in a toad.
>>
>>323927367
stealth is mostly fine

they're just refining the action elements since the game's built around the 4 pillars system

(computers, combat, covert, conversation (I think))
>>
>>323927902
>voice acting/graphics
Neither of these are important

>combat
The combat is much more indebted to the RPG elements, and is much more balanced than HR's amorphous lack of specialization

Not too mention this doesn't even take into account the level design and emergent gameplay, the two best things about the original.

All "HR is better"fags care about, like all modern vidya fans, is kineasthetics.
>>
That's all very nice and fascinating, now install GMDX.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/downloads/gmdx-v80-full
>>
>>323927902
Nah. Visuals are obviously not up to snuff, but there is something about the simplicity of the original Unreal engine that I can enjoy even today.
No clutter and unnecessary details, just functional graphics. It's kinda refreshing honestly.
Models are garbage though and always were.

Voice acting doesn't bother me. I'm not a native speaker.

I still prefer the combat in the original. Shooting certainly feels much better in HR, but on the whole I prefer the fact that you never get booted out of first person in the old game and melee and consequently non-lethal options are much more fleshed out, offering more options without the stupid canned animations and Press X to Awesome prompts.
>>
>>323927902

Poor gunplay and aged visuals takes away from the enjoyment of the game as much as old black and white movies with awful audio quality take away from the enjoyment of said movies, which is to say not at all.

I think most people who don't like Deus Ex are simply too young to appreciate it, and put emphasis on the simpler concepts that their juvenile minds can understand: how fluid it plays and how good it looks, which at best only make up 25% of the whole experience.
>>
>>323927902
>aged like shite in a toad

What the fuck?
>>
I loved both, but I think I just slightly preferred HR.

I'm the kind of a player that search every single nook and cranny in a level, and the original's levels can be really exhausting to play as a result. After finishing DE I didn't have the desire to go through it again, whereas with HR I immediately started another playthrough.

Also I really don't understand why DE's soundtrack is so highly rated, sure at times it's catchy, but I thought HR's soundtrack was phenomenal.
>>
>>323928371
>Black and white
I'll give you that, it's usually fine
>Terrible audio quality
This detracts from the experience
>>
>>323928283
>kineasthetics.
>>323928371
>how fluid it plays and how good it looks, which at best only make up 25% of the whole experience.

This. All these people look for in a game is polish. And how seriously a story takes itself (muh feels).
>>
File: 1444895394317.gif (2 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1444895394317.gif
2 MB, 260x260
>>323925846
No, it's not an opinion and this always gets thrown out just because someone disliked their favorite game.
It's like saying The Room is a better movie that 2001, lawrence of arabia or citizen kane and if anyone tries to refute that you just go "well thats your opinion rofl"
There are things that make games better or worse, it's not just opinion.
>>
>>323927902
I literally played deus ex last year and it's one of my favorite games ever
>>
>>323927902
>specialize in pistols
>pick up an assault rifle
>whaa why am I not the world's greatest shot
>>
Everybody always brings up poor gunplay of the original Deus Ex as some kind of a make-or-break thing. That because it's kind of clunky, it renders the whole thing unplayable. What they completely miss though, is that Deus Ex is not a first person shooter. It's a first person RPG, where combat (clunky as it is) only makes 1/3rd of the game.

This would never fly with a competitive shooter like Quake or UT, because that's all they are: shooters. But Deus Ex has so much more going for it, it's ridiculous to judge the whole thing based on one aspect of the game.

If you jumped into Deus Ex a decade later expecting a shooter, well, you're just one big fucking moron, aren't you?

Moron.
>>
Original, of course. Also I liked Invisible War more than HR, because it has some elements from the first game that HR dropped.
>>
>>323929320
The stealth is shit too. What does that leave, talking your way to the end of the game?
>>
The original Dude Sex is the best game of it's franchise, but Human Revolution is a fantastic game. Not sure how /v/ feels about it since they usually hate revivals of classic franchises but I felt that HR did a great job nailing the DE vibe, and had a lot of really fun moments and mechanics.

The new one looks awesome.
>>
>>323929456
And the stealth in HR is better how exactly?
Last I checked they just added cover and made it easier courtesy of minimap.
>>
>>323929771
>I felt that HR did a great job nailing the DE vibe
I felt the exact opposite.
>>
>>323929787
>b-but HR!

The stealth in the original Deus Ex is shit.
>>
>>323929869
Well, different strokes for different folks I suppose. Did you still like HR?
>>
>>323929379
I'm pretty ambivalent about Invisible War myself, and I can't say I liked it. But I played both games for the first time back to back a few years ago, and while I still think about Invisible War from time to time, HR is... I just kind of forgot about it. With IW at least I wonder where it went wrong, what could be salvaged, how could it be improved. It makes me wish it was even remotely mod-friendly. But HR, it usually just stays in the void of my mind. I don't care about it.
>>
>>323929950
It had it's moments. Enjoyable game, but ultimately nothing mindblowing.
>>
>>323929927
Yes yes, back to Thief with you.
>>
>>323930028
That's a fair assessment. I liked it enough to finish it twice but I wouldn't say it blew me away. Solid 7.5/10, maybe an 8/10 if I'm having a good day.

You excited about the new one or are you afraid it'll be more of the same?
>>
>>323928407
It's an English phrase
>>
>>323930163
Well after seeing the gameplay video I'm rather disappointed. Seems like they're keeping all the things I didn't like in HR.
>>
>>323929952

I know it's a stupid argument, but IW really didn't feel like a Deus Ex game. It played ok, it was fun, the story was so and so and the Omar were cool, but I never felt like "yeah, this is it, this is the Deus Ex experience I've been wanting".
>>
>>323929320
>w-who cares about gameplay in a video game it's all about the story!!!!

Fuck off
>>
>>323930818
Gameplay is more than how well you can shoot your gun.
>>
Deus Ex is a better game overall, but HR is still a fantastic game that's better than 95% of what gets released these days.
>>
>>323930542
No, I know what you mean. That is probably why I couldn't even get mad at it. It was surreal how little it felt like I was playing the sequel of DX despite the story being very closely connected.

IW made me experience an epiphany of sorts. Deus Ex is a stand-alone game. It doesn't work as a series, and trying to expand on the story is the biggest mistake you can make.

Take the gameplay and map design, the philosophy that went into developing it, and make new, but unrelated games.
>>
>>323931001
This is the best response in the thread.
>>
>>323926858
>the enemies just dropped everything and starter running around like headless chicken the moment they stubbed their toe

So you failed to get past the poorly trained and equipped NSF mook levels? Good job.
>>
>>323929771
DE was either following the dregs of a society that had almost completely collapsed, tramps begging for zyme with hi-tich rusting in the background or cities that managed to keep their together by being placed under martial law, HR was following the upper classes of a society just getting over the giddy acquiescence brought by new technology and seeing the catch. They don't have the same vibe by design, the worlds are supposed to feel different.
>>
>>323922371
Left
Try playing the original now, it's aged like shit
>>
File: ree.jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
ree.jpg
11 KB, 275x183
>>323922371
Oh-reeee-ginal
>>
File: deus-ex-1.jpg (98 KB, 638x365) Image search: [Google]
deus-ex-1.jpg
98 KB, 638x365
when you nutted but she still suckin'
>>
>>323922371
i liked the original when it came out and can't get into human revolution its just feels like shit
>>
File: 1445451397381.jpg (68 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1445451397381.jpg
68 KB, 250x250
>>323932831
>it gets good after 10 hours
>>
>>323935284
>10 hours
git gud scrub
>>
>>323934250
What DX managed to realize but not HR is that substance in story and setting doesn't equal melodrama.
>>
>>323922371
Graphics: HR, Gameplay: original, especially with GMDX v8, play both, HR is actually prequel
>>
Original is better designwise.

I prefer HR for atmosphere and aesthetics. Also combat that isn't absolute ass (DE's combat was shit, even after leveling weapon skills).
>>
>>323926165
thats what they were planning, but they ran out of time i think
>>
>>323922371
Original has better level design and writing. HR has better hacking, atmosphere, and artstyle.
>>
The original.
New one is too casualized.
>>
Deus Ex 1 is a RPG with FPS elements.
HR is an FPS with RPG elements.

You tell me which is better.
>>
>>323943796
I don't know because genre is not a determiner of quality
>>
HR is fundamentally different from the original in that it settles for presenting multiple routes for the player to choose and that's about it. Specialization isn't as vital, and it doesn't emphasize emergent scenarios nearly as much as the original Deus Ex does. A lot of what HR does feels less clumsy than in the original, but it's less interesting on a basic level.

I also don't think the clunkiness of combat in Deus Ex is necessarily a fault, anyway.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.