[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the greatest Alien game ever made? >That attention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9
File: alien.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
alien.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Is this the greatest Alien game ever made?

>That attention to detail
>Them enviroments
>That architecture
>Them synths which are almost as spooky as the alien
>That awesome extension of the Alien universe by including Ripley's daughter
Will another Alien game this good ever be released?
>>
Ayy lmao
>>
Alien and Aliens are 2 of my most favorite movies, watched both over 15 times and the Making Of documentaries, but I still haven't played Isolation. Feels bad.
>>
>>323915672
OP is a shill who makes this thread every day
>>
>>323915672
>that horrendous Alien AI that acts nothing like an alien

I'm sorry but no matter how good the game was the AI killed that game completely for me
>>
File: 1413383040259.png (938 KB, 986x1380) Image search: [Google]
1413383040259.png
938 KB, 986x1380
>>323915672
No
>>
>>323915672
cons
>frustrating ai at higher difficulties
>the ending

pro
>the story before you get to Sevastopol's core
>good characters
>good ambient

overall 7/10 it's pretty good

I wish they'd make a multiplayer spin-off
>>
> them
I think it's > the
>>
>>323915672
No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrphBFlDsg
>>
I'm a huge faggot for retrofuturistic aesthetic and I've died way to many times simply because I've been mirin beautiful graphics instead of hiding from AYYLMAO.
>>
>>323915815
You should.

>>323915871
First thread I've made here in at least six months

>>323916078
Really just wrong in every way desu

>>323916576
Aesthetics are definitely the high point as opposed to aay lmao

Apparently the new difficulty mode makes it smarter.
>>
>>323915815
You'll be disappointed if you acreally wanted to be chased by an Alien
>>
>>323916491
Rich is great in movies but hell he is the worst person with a voice on video games out there.

And AIDSmoby sucks dick regardless of what he does.
>>
>>323916491
>posting yt shit unironically
this fucking place
>>
>>323916576
>AYYLMAO
this is the kind of underage retard who this this awful pile of shit is a good game
>>
File: 1438968191141.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1438968191141.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>323915672

I bought it the other day when it and all it's expansions were $10. I can't play it for more than 30 minutes at a time without getting skeeved out. The graphics are amazing, the sound is amazing, and it atmosphere is top notch.

Fucking everything in the game skeeves me out.
>>
Yes. Have you tried playing AvP recently? Not every shooter ages like Half Life.
>>
>>323915672
How much replayability does this game have? I've heard a lot of praise for it, but since you cant refund or return games in PSN, im not sure if I should download it.
>>
>>323919206
AvP2 shits all over this pile of garage in every possible way.

Please kill yourself.
>>
File: ayy by someone else.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ayy by someone else.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>323919589

pretty much zero considering how padded it it and that by the end you should have figured out how bad the stealth mechanics are
>>
>>323920117
Well I guess I'll just wait for a better sale then
>>
>>323919589
There's an entire mode dedicated to expanding the replay value.
>>
IGNORE THE SHITPOSTERS THIS GAME IS AMAZING
>>
It does have great moments and they nailed the atmosphere but I feel the game was way too long.

Also the backtracking was annoying as fuck.
>>
>>323920117
That doesn't happen in hard tho.
If you look at the Alien this much he will just sense you and rush you.
>>
>>323920894

why do you lie on the internet?
>>
>>323915672
I've never really been into Alien and know only the basics of the franchise. Would I like this game? I see a lot of people praise it on here.
>>
The IGN review of this game is completely correct
>>
>>323915672
>Is this the greatest Alien game ever made?
It's the only good Alien game made ever.

Some of the AvP games were... playable on singleplayer at the very best, and decent on multiplayer, but both of those were actually completely disconnected from the experience of the movies.
Isolation is actually the only game that even attempted to properly translate the movies into game. The fact that it also did it better than anyone would have expected is actually just an incredible bonus.
>>
One of the best horror games on the market.

>That AI
>That authenticity to the movie/lore
>That sound design
>Them textures
>That optimization

A sequel is going to have a hard time topping this.
>>
>>323921574
This is bait
>>
>>323922568
>That authenticity to the movie/lore

They fucked up big time by making the alien invincible.
>>
Literal shit game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrphBFlDsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbuyo8pr7dY
>>
>>323922709
You people don't even know what the word "bait" means, do you? It's just another word you belch out regularly at anything that you don't like.
>>
>>323923020
The original, not Aliens. They couldn't kill it because it's blood would de pressurize the cabin. James Cameron gave no fucks though.
>>
>>323922568
>A sequel is going to have a hard time topping this.
A sequel is probably not going to happen in the first place. Sega claimed they were disappointed with the sales and the critical reception, and are not considering a follow-up game.
Creative is now focusing on the damn Warhammer game completely.
>>
>>323923020
0/10
>>
>>323915672
Game was too long, and the flamethrower was too OP.

But other than that, I really enjoyed it. There were some cheap moments with the alien (I played on the hardest difficulty that didn't fuck up your motion tracker).

Atmosphere and tension were great for me. I got scared like a bitch any time the alien so much as showed up on my motion tracker.
>>
>>323923294
Has anyone seen Aliens recently? I swear anything James Cameron makes ages like milk.
>>
>>323923294
It was visibly fucked up by Ripley's grappling hook at the end of the movie. A pipe bomb or the bolt gun would definitely wound it.
>>
>>323923476
Well that's disappointing. Would of loved to see what the game could be like with less uncanny-valley animations. Oh well, here's hoping Outlast 2 is any good.
>>
>>323923754
>Would of
>>
>>323923670
It's a good movie by all means, only issue is they butchered the Xenomorph by making it non-threatening. But Pulse/Laser rifles with explosive rounds probably didn't help.
>>
>>323923975
You should try watching Aliens one of these days instead of parroting retarded shit.
>>
>>323923975
Guess it was just me who wasn't into the whole oorah-let's-shoot-some-aliens conversion of the original with all the action clichés ever in true James Cameron style.
>>
>>323923670
okay, that's just dumb. sure, Cameron's made some movies that weren't that good, but Aliens is not one of them. that movie fucking rules. Alien and Aliens are, in fact, the only good movies to feature the aliens in them, and they both rule.

>>323923294
and i'm not sure what you're talking about here. sure, in the first one it would've been incredibly dangerous to kill the alien, but they didn't even have weapons to take it out, so that's kind of a moot point.

in Aliens, however, they were on a planet that was terraformed and had atmosphere for almost the entire movie. how could killing the aliens there be dangerous, aside from the obvious problem of getting the blood on you?
>>
>>323923580
Pretty much this. I fucking LOVED the game and even I felt it was dragging a bit by the end.
The design is top notch, it just feels like Alien; the art direction is great the sound is just incredible.
If you play on easy the Alien is dumb as a bag of bricks and you'll get stuff like the webm posted before, and if you play on insane you'll get a fucked up radar and you'll hate life.

Get it during a sale, play it on hard and you'll have a fucking blast.
>>
>>323924163
1986 sci-fi action movie doesn't live up to todays effects work or einstein-level writing? Gee golly who would have fucking guessed.
>>
>>323923754
>Well that's disappointing.
It's not only disappointing, it's actually confusing as fuck, considering that the game shipped over a million copies, and was the best selling game in Sega's line up in the last six years. It single handedly saved Sega's revenues for 2014, made that the first profitable year in five years.
Yet somehow, Sega actually bundled it together with Sonic Lost World, called it an "underperformer" and seems like canceled a sequel.

Oh and here is an interesting little trivia about Sega's treatment of Isolation: Sega arbitrarily delayed it's release in East Asia by several months, then only released PS4/Xbox versions, and PROHIBITED distribution of PC version on all platforms, including Steam.
>>
>>323924478
Not him, but Alien at least does. Aliens is cheesy as fuck. The whole setup changed from the xenomorph being an actually intelligent being trying to wipe out the humans into this horde of zerg they could shoot waves of for action value. Cameron mistook the Alien for Starship Troopers.
>>
>>323924637
>Cameron mistook the Alien for Starship Troopers.

This is what gave away your post as bait.
>>
>>323924369
Sorry, forgot to add in the weapons part. But I was talking more about it's strength and ability to adapt, rather than the Aliens shooting gallery that it turned into. But you are correct. Aliens was definitely the shit when it came out, though.
>>
>>323924759
>muh bait
Go ahead and watch both again, I have. I'll wait.
>>
>>323924510
Damn, what a way to kill a potential franchise. Redeem a series, then cancel it immediately. Never knew this, thanks for the insight.
>>
>>323920117
>playing on easy
>>
>>323925107

Lying on the internet, why?
>>
>>323916491
>rich
funny but his taste in all things is objectively shit
>aids
objectively shit
>>
>>323925284
order 1886 confirmed masterpiece
>>
>>323915672
The game got less scary after you get the Flamethrower.
>>
>>323924637
I agree with what you are saying. But in terms of presentation and despite that, I still believed Aliens was a GOOD movie rather than dogshit. But I respect your opinion.
>>
>>323924909
Starship Troopers came out in 97.

Try to be a little bit more subtle and use Rambo or Predator next time.
>>
>>323925284
>>323925351

I wish those fags would review more cinematic games instead of playing nothing but pixel roguelike-ish shit
>>
>>323925418
I'm not saying it's bad for what it is, but in my opinion it raped the original setup. It's just so goddamn Hollywood, which is really not that strange considering the change of director. It has like every fucking action film trope ever. You can pretty much literally visualise the publisher's negotiations. WELL, add this little girl who magically survived the entire ordeal because that increases family rewatchability.
>>
>>323925840
Yeah, I see what you mean.
>>
>>323920117
You're playing on below the recommended difficulty (which is Hard). You're like the guys complaining about hiding in lockers all game despite the fact that they're you're not supposed to sit in the locker until the Alien goes away.
>>
>>323925829
why even waste time playing AAA shit, they are literally 100% garbage now
>>
when did Aliens start getting so much hate? i've never met anyone who didn't like this movie.

>>323923975
first off, i don't really agree with this statement. the alien in the first was so threatening because it was unknown, and because the humans had no real weapons or training to combat it with.
in Aliens, they played on that by making the marines out to be these ultimate badasses (fucking Bill Paxton rules) that go in and will just mop the floor with their acid blood until there isn't a floor left. then, we see how woefully unprepared anyone is for these things. does no one remember the scene where they come out of the goddamn walls? where they come in through the ceiling? they cut the power? i always felt Aliens ramped up just how terrifying these creatures could be rather than dampened it.

>>323924637
i don't know what the fuck you're talking about comparing any of these movies to Starship Troopers, but my issue is really with you calling the aliens intelligent in the first and just a "horde of zerg" in the second.

in the first movie, the alien hides and hunts in a way that belies a level of intelligence, and if you watch the DC it tries to start a colony by coccooning people. this shows, at best, instinctual intelligence that many predators show in nature.

in Aliens, they cut the power to the facility, purposefully exhaust the ammunition of the turrets, the queen attempts to "reason" with Ripley briefly in the egg-room . . . actions like this show a far greater level of intellect than anything in the first movie.
>>
>>323925976

> You're playing on below the recommended difficulty (which is Hard).

You hurt me with your lies.
>>
File: 1441619719667.jpg (112 KB, 405x506) Image search: [Google]
1441619719667.jpg
112 KB, 405x506
>>323925230
>>323921034
Why would I lie?

I played on hard for the first time and this asshole would run straight to me in a situation like the .webm. It was almost frustrating how easily he can sniff you out, you know like the space nigger of rape that's he is suppose to be.
Is the game AI perfect? No it has his flaws and exploits, but that shit (that surely you posted) is being played on easy, he wouldn't be so forgiving in higher difficulties.
>>
>>323925840
I remember reading a good book that analysed Alien and Aliens.

I can't remember the exact words but the author summed it up pretty well by essentially saying that Cameron intended to make Aliens as quotable as possible to make it popular, and compared how the popular culture effects of the two films. Virtually every line in Aliens is a quippy one liner. In Alien the characters were more grounded and intended to represent a bunch of normal work colleagues on a working ship.
>>
File: playitoneasy.png (253 KB, 1117x475) Image search: [Google]
playitoneasy.png
253 KB, 1117x475
>>323926182
>>
>>323915672
Shit game
>>
>>323920117
Good ol' easy mode.
>>
>>323926091
>purposefully exhaust the ammunition of the turrets, the queen attempts to "reason" with Ripley briefly in the egg-room
I'll reword the first part for you "let's throw waves and waves of bodies at the turrets until they run out of ammo". This is like the worst fucking idea ever when you consider the fact that the xenomorph requires a live host to mature. This was an even slower process if it continued as Ridley originally intended when there was no queen, and humans were slowly converted into eggs. And no, an epic showdown where the protagonist and antagonist face eachother off where the far more powerful antagonist doesn't do anything for the threat of /some/ eggs being destroyed is not a good reason to not just fucking maul the shit out of Ripley. Which the queen ends up needing to do anyway, because Ripley always intended to wipe them out as should be obvious from the start of the entire film because they were sent there to do so.
>>
File: ayylien.webm (1 MB, 1000x565) Image search: [Google]
ayylien.webm
1 MB, 1000x565
>>323926186
>Why would I lie?

Either you're a marketer who never played the game or you're too stupid to realize how broken the stealth is.

Given what you wrote, it's probably the former

>>323926364
might be the latter
there's plenty of evidence of the AI being shit like >>323923056 and absolutely zero evidence of the alien being able to see over waist high objects
>>
File: Bad AI in AI.webm (2 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Bad AI in AI.webm
2 MB, 1280x800
This is on Hard.
The game have some wonky detection mechanics but overall it's a fucking great game.
Easily the top 5 I've played these last 5 years.
>>
>>323926907
>S..stop liking what i don't like
>Y..you are just shilling

Why are you here if you hate this game so much?
>>
>>323926751
hey, i'm not saying that the aliens had a good strategy in throwing themselves at the turrets; my point is that they understood that the turrets would eventually cease being able to kill them. presumably, previous run-ins with guns have informed them to some degree.

and of course Ripley intended to destroy the eggs, but the queen didn't know that--which, again, was my point: the queen attempted to stop Ripley from destroying the hatchery when Ripley threatened to do so which, even if it wasn't the best idea ever, shows a level of intelligence greater than in the original movie.

i think you're missing the point. i'm not trying to claim that all the aliens are geniuses or something; i'm just saying they're clearly shown as being smart in Aliens, arguably moreso than in Alien.
>>
>>323927549

I'm pretty sure there's a place on Reddit where you can talk about shitty games without anyone pointing out the flaws.
>>
>>323924637

The aliens were just as smart in the second movie. They shut off the power and the queen uses the elevator near the end. They don't ruin any mystery from the first movie either since the derelict ship is never explained.

>>323923975

I guess you didn't watch the movie, because the marines get completely rekt.
>>
>>323915871
>>323916078
>>323916491
>>323920117
>>323921034
>>323921390
>>323922709
>>323923056
>>323925230
>>323926182
>>323926565
>>323926907
>>323928127

>le back to leddit ebin may may

Honestly it doesn't seems so bad with all the shit posting and same fagging this shit board has.
>>
>>323929408
nice post I read it
>>
>>323916078
wow you must have literally never played it or on a lower difficulty than hard
>>
>>323916078
Literally fuck off
>>
Played on the second highest difficulty and beat it, game is really overrated. It's one of the better walking simulators out there but it definitely doesn't deserve the praise it gets on this board.
>>
>>323933765
2015 was a slow year for video games
>>
>>323933765
I like people like you. Doing their fair share in making sure that every fucking word in existence loses any meaning it could previously hold. Keep up the good work, God only knows the communication in game industry is waaay too precise and useful for it's own good.
>>
>>323934593
Walking simulators are the worst genre of horror in my opinion. The game was tense up until medical, after that the game had trouble being fun let alone scary.
>>
Played it on my oculus rift dk2. It was a life changing experience .
>>
Personal AAA game of 2015.
I don't get the negativity in this thread, it is a horror game, it isn't for everyone like your typical AAA title.
>>
>>323934708
>Walking simulators are the worst genre of horror in my opinion.
There you go again! Just working hard, as ever.
>>
File: Aliens-Infestation_NDS_US_ESRB.jpg (770 KB, 1000x904) Image search: [Google]
Aliens-Infestation_NDS_US_ESRB.jpg
770 KB, 1000x904
>this not mentioned anywhere itt
bunch of fags you are

isolation is god damned pretty though
>>
>>323935480
>almost no puzzles, just easy minigames that you had to do over and over again
>no real fighting, shooting enemies when the alien is nearby is certain death, especially because he only goes after you and ignores everyone else when they're much louder than you
>alien AI isn't realistic at all, it's just tethered to you and still easy to avoid if you just move around crouching and never kick a can
>can only use FT and flare occasionally to ward of the alien but the whole avoiding the alien mechanic gets old less than 10 hours in
It's just not that fun of a game. Play SH1-3 for real horror games.
>>
>>323935728
>Infestation

This looks cool, might have to emulate it.

But yeah Isolation is a solid game, easily one of the best I've played in the last few years and has atmosphere out the ass like STALKER and Metro. I'd recommend it to even non-alien fanboys.
>>
>>323915815
Then you'll love isolation,the first half has you feeling like in alien with random creepyshit going on on the ship and a feeling of isolation with only a few allies.by the end it's full on Aliens action, but it still retains the scary factor
>>
>>323936182
You not having fun with it hardly matters to the genre of the game, it's actual quality on any more reliable normative scale, or actually ANYTHING ELSE in the world.
You don't like the game. We get. We don't give a fuck, but we get it. Just don't use words that you clearly have absolute no understanding off next time be off.
>>
>>323926751
Not that anon but I'd like to point out the following.
>In Alien the crew were space truckers with out any weapons except some late jury rigged flamethrower that did pretty much nothing
>in Aliens the characters are almost all members of a Marine Recon team, some of the "allegedly" best light infantry in the real world. Armed with 10mm explosive tipped 100 round magazine weaponry including two squad based support machine guns that auto track movement.
>said marines get absolutely wrecked in a 5 minute battle leaving only 3 alive 4 of you count their shithead LT who stayed in the APC
>marines hunker down and EXPLICITLY place their auto gun turrets IN THE ONLY CORRIDOR that links the atmo processor with the main hive. The Aliens essentially walk into an ambush and with no where to go but forward overwhelm the guns
>the second pair of guns are outside the control room in the corridors
>after the aliens encounter this second pair of guns the fall back, cut the power and then infiltrate the sealed room via the ceiling and the flooring
>the surviving marines are all killed except for 1 who is heavily wounded with the aliens only really taking casualties from one marines under slung grenade launcher. Said marine is then ripped through the floor.

I understand many alien fans dislike how action heavy aliens is. But it is my firm belief that aliens shows the xenomorphs to be even more deadly and intelligent then previously shown.
In alien it's never quite clear if he alien is actually making decisions or just relying on instinctual ideas. It never cuts the power or explicitly does something that shows high intelligence. The marines for all their elite training and weaponry get devastated by the alien assault. The aliens are shown to take heavy casualties when they are surprised running into two autonomous turrets. But then after they've encountered this new tool they recognize it immediately and then move to go around another set.
>>
>>323915672

avp2 was better
>>
>>323915672
>cant jump
>corridor simulator
>lazy devs so they just programmed the ayy to always spawn near you no matter what instead of having it actually roam the level
>>
>>323915672
It's an okay game but the huge amount of padding, the easily exploitable Xeno AI, and the lack of scares kept it from being great.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.