[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oblivion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 29
File: anvil.jpg (2 MB, 2419x1262) Image search: [Google]
anvil.jpg
2 MB, 2419x1262
I miss this game. It's infinitely better and more atmospheric than skyrim will ever be.
Will a new elder scrolls installment ever beat this one?
What went wrong?
>>
>>323907143
I was as disappointed by Oblivion as you apparently were by Skyrim. I thought Skyrim was okay. By extrapolation, I think you're going to consider the next TES game a step up from Skyrim, but not as good as Oblivion.
>>
>better than skyrim
mfw
>>
>>323907143
Same here OP. Loved that shit.

Skyrim was such a piece of shit for me. How can a game be this boring? I tried so hard to fucking like it, forced myself what normies were seeing.

After 30 hours I gave up. Just doesn't work.
>>
>>323907143
Could a new installment beat Oblivion? Of course. The universe has great potential for amazing games.

Will it? No, definitely not. Bethesda knows the smell of money, and it doesn't emanate from creating richly detailed worlds and compelling storylines. The next game will be even more dumbed down and generic than the last.
>>
>>323907480
Why were you disappointed with Oblivion?
I never played Morrowind since i was a console kiddie. Is it still enjoyable?
>>
>>323907642
to see*
fuck
>>
>>323907697
>Is it still enjoyable?
No it aged like nigger cum.
>>
File: 1400696600254.png (13 KB, 166x166) Image search: [Google]
1400696600254.png
13 KB, 166x166
>like Oblivion when it came out
>/v/ hated it
>Skyrim comes out and gains casual popularity
>/v/ hates it
>/v/ likes Oblivion by comparison now

Finally
>>
>>323907143
Loved it too, but honestly, if I had played Morrowind first I probably would have puked all over Oblivion.
It did quests, characters, and overall writing really well, but the world was pretty fucking bland to explore.
>>
>>323907642
OP here, while i think skyrim was OK as a game i had to force myself to complete it while i could play Oblivion for what felt like several hundred hours and still find new and compelling quests and locations. Not sure if it's the nostalgia speaking or if Oblivion was just that much better.

I also loved the Dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion, it like something new, while the Dark brotherhood questline in Skyrim was generic as fuck. Do you have a favorite questline?
>>
>>323907697
>I never played Morrowind since i was a console kiddie. Is it still enjoyable?
It's a better game than Oblivion. Even being dated, it's still a lot better than Oblivion.

Oblivion was shit. And it's kinda sad that we are starting to get to a point where it's becoming the nostalgic game number one around here.
>>
>>323907697
I thought the entire game was really bland, the combat was floaty and took ages, and the rampant level scaling only made that worse.
But really, the main problem was that I got unreasonably hyped for it. I fell for Todd's lies about how you'd have huge amounts of control in combat and the RADIANT AI would do all kinds of lifelike stuff and whatnot.
>>
>>323907697
The combat is shit but the world, lore and atmosphere is fucking great.
>>
I had tried to reinstall Oblivion a few months back but could not figure out why textures weren't getting replaced/archive invalidated. All the other modding steps worked and the game played. Dunno.

I'm sure that when TES 6 is released we'll end up saying Skyrim was great compared to it though.
>>
>>323907143
Both games are terribad, but Oblivion is just a little bit better than Skyrim.
Morrowind or bust.
>>
>>323907964
>Spend several hundred hours on Oblivion and run out of things to do.
>Download Morrowind and turn it on
>Need to go somewhere
>Run out into brown countryside
>Brown ground, brown sky, brown enemies
>Everything looks bland as fuck
>Uninstall it and never play again

Is it worth another try?
>>
Why has a lot of people on this board been talking oblivion in nostalgic way? Yeah its slightly better than skyrim, but it still removed tons of features from morrowind.
>>
>>323908332
You probably installed to program files or something retarded.
>>
>>323907697
>Why were you disappointed with Oblivion?
Absolutely atrocious world building and terrible settings, ugly art direction, core gameplay mechanics gutted, progression being a joke, lack of any atmosphere what so ever, the game being blatantly gimmicky as hell, and storyline so incredibly stupid that when my brother spoiled the conclusion to me, I genuinely laughed and told him to stop making fun of me.
>>
>>323908497
Definitely. It takes a lot of time to get used to it, but its well worth it. Its really more about actual exploration than trying to beeline specific quests.
Might of course not be your cup of tea.
>>
>>323908321
>>323908227
I agree that the combat and AI was absolutely horrid but the atmosphere, quests, enviroments and music was amazing.

>You finally come to the end of a cave in which you've been fighting loads of bandits
>Unequip your torch as you see the exit
>As soon as you come out of the cave you see a valley with a road in the distance
>It's raining lightly
>This song comes on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyEmLptNL70
>>
>>323908878
Oh I thought we were talking about Morrowind there, Oblivion had rubbish combat too, but again I loved the world and atmosphere.

Also loved how the AI had their own lives. Dunno why they took that out in Skyrim, NPCs don't even go to bed in Skyrim.
>>
>>323908562
Nope. OS and games are on completely different hard drives.
>>
mods here
http://demwaifus.blogspot.ca/search/label/Oblivion
>>
File: gfs_94246_2_1.jpg (78 KB, 1024x461) Image search: [Google]
gfs_94246_2_1.jpg
78 KB, 1024x461
>>
File: 1452777590398.jpg (457 KB, 1920x960) Image search: [Google]
1452777590398.jpg
457 KB, 1920x960
>>323908530
Probably because a lot of people played Oblivion as their first Elder Scrolls game.
>>
File: tumblr_nntaiiw3xt1titub2o1_500.png (93 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nntaiiw3xt1titub2o1_500.png
93 KB, 500x422
>>323907847
I FUCKING CALLED IT BACK IN 2011 RIGHT AFTER SKYRIM WAS RELEASED

>soon enough /v/ will start shitting on Skyrim and praising Oblivion
>>
File: chorrol-modded-pc.jpg (111 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
chorrol-modded-pc.jpg
111 KB, 1024x614
Which was your favorite city
comfy /chorrolmasterrace/ here
>>
>>323910556
Anvil any day
>>
Is there any mod to stop the level scaling and have hand-crafted worlds? No?

it stays in the trash then
>>
>>323911020
Yes there is. Now i haven't played since 06 or 07 so im not sure if there are better mods around nowadays.
But MMM and OOO for the level scaling and enemies. And then Unique landscapes.
>>
>>323910234
Natural cycle of /v/
>>
All elder scrolls games are trash, prove me wrong
>>
>>323910556
Skingrad
>>
>>323907143
I tried playing Oblivion and got bored of it within a couple of hours.
Then I tried playing Skyrim and got bored of it a couple of hours later.
Both games are fucking boring. But I prefer Skyrim's adult mods to Oblivion's.
>>
File: 20150504_131114.jpg (947 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
20150504_131114.jpg
947 KB, 1836x3264
>>323908321
>
>>323908321
Then is it possible to make a character good at stuff other than combat, and avoid combat as much as possible?
>>
>>323911765
You can always chose to level sneak and speech and play something like a rouge/bard character but you would still need to fight in a lot of quests.
>>
i want an rpg where you are so insignificant that exploring the world to learn more and gain trust was necessasry

im tired of these games where i can just sprint to the end of be the savior of all man kind and leader of all of the guilds and clans without even setting foot in 50% of the world
>>
>>323907847
>>323910234

Just wait until TES VI, then you'll start to see more and more people praising Skyrim.
>>
>>323912082
pretty sure age of decadence shits on you every chance it gets
>>
>>323912082
Play Dark Souls.
>>
>>323912082
Gothic might be a game for you. Morrowind also did this fairly well, with stat requirements for guild progression.
Presumably, the upcoming Kingdom Come should work on a similar principle too, but then again it's supposed to be a fairly short game in general.
>>
>>323907642
Oblivion is boring too. In fact almost everything in the Elder Scrolls games are boring.

The only reason the series got popular is because the first two were pretty innovative and were some of the first examples of large open world first person RPGs, which was good for the time but are not outdated. The new games do nothing to improve upon the old. Instead of making a smaller interesting world they go with quantity because they know children and tasteless idiots think More = Better. That's why every dungeon and cave is full of the same rooms with the same enemies with the same loot. The only good thing about Oblivion were the cities, but even then Skyrim didn't improve on this at all.

This whole idea about Bigger=Better really needs to go. I fucking hate when I see children on here complaining when a game is only a few hours long, or praising a game when it goes open world (just look at how shitty and boring MGSV was).

It's funny because so many people drop oblivion during the beginning when you're going through that shitty prison dungeon and fans of the game say NO IT GETS BETTER, and it does when you finally get to imperial city, but once you start off on your quest you realize the rest of the game you WILL be going into more shitty dungeons like the ones at the start.

The games would be better if they scaled back the world and made fewer dungeons but each of them more focused on a unique aesthetic and atmosphere.

Wouldn't you rather play MORE games of higher quality rather then sinking hours into shitty slugfests?
>>
>>323912284
>Kingdom Come supposed to be a fairly short game in general.

Aw man, I was hoping I could spend hundreds of hours in comfy middle ages land
>>
>>323912369

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim aren't exactly huge in terms of map size

If you wanted an example of how big doesn't mean good, you could go with Just Cause or even GTA V
>>
>>323912284
>but then again it's supposed to be a fairly short game in general.

Here we go again. If the game is good, how is that a bad thing? Most games shit the bed after a few hours because they exhaust all of their ideas. if a game knows what it wants to do, and does it, why should it keep on going or add padding between the good parts in order to stretch it out?
>>
>>323912452
>Aw man, I was hoping I could spend hundreds of hours in comfy middle ages land
The game has been chopped into three chapters (presumably each taking place several years after the one before it). The first chapter was estimated for some 20 hours average, with the game world being little over 16 square kilometers: that is one small town (with two castles, interestingly enough) and two or three villages total.
>>
>>323912369
Kind of weird that you don't mention Morrowind in your post anywhere. Wasn't that the first REALLY successful game in the series? And also the one that started the trend of reducing scope and complexity?
>>
File: Oblivion20150930 21.44.31.jpg (484 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion20150930 21.44.31.jpg
484 KB, 1920x1080
Oblivion is literally the best TES game.
All of its problems (aside from engine limitations which are present on every other TES game anyway) can be 100% fixed with mods. Bethesda doesn't exactly deserve money for releasing a half-finished game every single time but if you pirate and mod it yourself it's totally worth it.
>>
>>323912586
They are still full of big empty spaces of nothing but pretend not to be by filling the empty spaces with doors that lead to small empty spaces.
>>
File: 1377812916799.png (630 KB, 832x686) Image search: [Google]
1377812916799.png
630 KB, 832x686
>>323907143
>It's infinitely better and more atmospheric than skyrim will ever be.
>>
Played Morrowind once, Skyrim twice, watched an LP of Daggerfall. Is modded Oblivion worth it?
>>
>>323912697
Is it possible to mod the pirated version? I saw people saying online that they cant but that was from a while ago
>>
>>323912645
>Here we go again. If the game is good, how is that a bad thing?
Could you quote to me the specific part where I said that it's necessarily a bad thing? I've stated it because the post I was replying was asking for games with slow paced progression. And slow paced progression is less likely in a title that is relatively short.

But while we are on the subject, the lenght of the game IS a reason to worry. Not for the lenght itself, but rather in perspective of many promised gameplay mechanics, including things like clothes getting progressively dirtier (and the option to wash them), alcohol addiction with actually deeply game-changing consequences etc... Which all sound cool, except the proposed 20 hour length is simply not enough space for these mechanics really coming to fruition.
>>
>>323912858
Are you serious nigga? There's no anti-piracy measures or DRM to speak of in any TES game. I know for a fact that you can pirate all the game DLCs even if you own the games legit on Steam, because the DLC files you purchase are literally just mod files.
>>
>>323912837
>watched an LP of Daggerfall
What. Why? Literally for what purpose.

And yeah, it's worth it.
>>
>>323912858
>I saw people saying online that they cant

Those are just moralfaggots and trolls. Mods don't give a fuck if your game is pirated or Steam, you can do whatever you want. Anybody who tells you otherwise is flat out lying.
>>
>>323912987
For the commentary mostly. It's like the only LP I've ever watched full through, but it was quite entertaining to watch a guy punch through everything and deal with Daggerfall's shenanigans.
>>
>>323911020
>stop level scaling
OOO.
>hand-crafted worlds
Unique Landscapes.
>>
For me, each modern TES game needs more mods for me to enjoy them depending on how new they are.

Morrowind, pretty much only need GCD and some mods for a bit of flavor (new textures, better lighting, etc)

But by the time I get to Skyrim, it's like I need a mod for every little piece of the game. I do enjoy it once I mod the heck out of it, but it's such a hassle getting to that point.
>>
>>323913386
Yeah, Skyrim requires so much to be half-decent, and even then you can't fix the horrible writing and quests compared to Oblivion which had god tier writing and quests even in vanilla.
>>
File: 1442109815513.png (151 KB, 449x442) Image search: [Google]
1442109815513.png
151 KB, 449x442
>people unironically using obscuros incompatibility beanerhaul
>>
>>323913236

The only LP I've ever watched was one where two devs who worked on the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games played through 2 and 3 commenting on the games, industry, their work on the games, other people at Insomniac, etc. The guys are friends and there was banter, jokes, etc. Nothing too serious.

I wish more devs did this kind of thing
>>
>>323911020
Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul + Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul

Unique Landscapes + Better Dungeons

>>323913560
>i don't know how to mod so let me post an anime girl
the value of your opinion stays in the trash
>>
>>323907143
same here OP.

the only thing i found close was the witcher 3. big cities, funny/crazy quests.

skyrim had none of that, that oblivion had.
>>
>>323913667
i know much more than you fuck face, i bet you use oblivion mod manager and ugly ass blobby normals on everything
>>
>>323907697
I forced myself very hard to finish it. Just because it got so much praise on /v/. It's a chore to get from point a to b. I didn't care about the characters or the story. They're very forgettable unlike Oblivion. My conclusion is people only say it's better than Oblivion because they're nostalgiafags. Morrowind doesn't have a single thing better than Oblivion. It was a groundbreaking experience when it first came out but it got very old very quickly. Oblivion is a marginal upgrade in every possible way to Morrowind.
>>
>>323907697
I played Morrowind after Skyrim and I enjoyed it a lot. Some people will be frustrated by the combat and animations but I thought the items, spells and "RPGness" made up for it.
>>
>>323912082
play runescape
>>
File: Oblivion20150923 04.20.29.jpg (523 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion20150923 04.20.29.jpg
523 KB, 1920x1080
>>323913765
Cool projection and hostility cuckboi your accusations don't stop me from being able to mod the game 100% flawlessly lmao

You don't deserve to play the game with your shitty attitude, I suggest you reflect on yourself.
>>
>>323913667
>using 'overhaul' mods that pretty much just add ugly deviantart tier weapon recolors and leveling lists that you can download on their own
even the shield on back thing can be downloaded seperately
>>
>>323910125
Maybe for some. Personally the order for me was
Skyrim > Daggerfall > Morrowind > Arena > Battlespire > Redguard > 3/4 of the mobile games in whatever order > Oblivion
simply because people talked so much shit about Oblivion I was hesitant to even try it. Sort of an Invisible War situation.

I was very surprised by how atmospheric it was, and how superior the quest design was compared to every other game in the series. So I guess my experience with it was rather pleasant.
>>
>>323912664
I wrote a reply and my fucking browser crashed, so heres an abridged version. Morrowind was one of the first full 3D open world games and was still trying to see what was right and what was wrong. And it least it tried to improve upon Daggerfall, Oblivion and Skyrim have learned nothing and instead know they have a reliable franchise that fanboys and mainstream success that will bring custoemrs who wont question their bad or lazy design choices.

>>323912923
>but then again it's supposed to be a fairly short game in general.

The 'but then again' implies its a negative because you followed the previous positive statement with it.

> the proposed 20 hour length is simply not enough space for these mechanics really coming to fruition.

Yes they are. 20 hours is a LOT of time to do things. Also, the clothes washing and addiction stuff is probably not even included in that time limit, they're probably more padding you have to manage while playing which will increase time, and it'll probably get annoying for me.
>>
>>323907143
>What went wrong?
Bethesda hit the can.
>>
>>323908570
Oh and saying Oblivion is good isn't nostalgiafaggin' ?
>>
There seems to be a real shortage of open world, first person RPGs that aren't just turning into Far Cry-like action games. Bethesda games need to be modded to hell and even that doesn't fix the poor writing and quest design.
>>
I've never played Oblivion. How much worse is the combat compared to Skyrim?
>>
>>323914429
That's why Oblivion is so good when it's modded and you ignore the main quest. Side missions and guild story lines are well written and memorable.
>>
How can you "miss" a video game?
Just re-install it nigga
>>
>>323911938
Is that fun? I bought Morrowind without knowing what it was all about and now it''s just gathering dust in my steam library but I feel like I should play it from start to finish some time.
>>
>>323914524
If you think Skyrim combat sucks then you're in for a treat.
It's the worst, not even games that came out in 2006 are that bad.

Never understood why people say Skyrim combat sucks though, started playing it this year for the first time and I don't have any complains about it.
>>
File: 13483647.jpg (77 KB, 1375x758) Image search: [Google]
13483647.jpg
77 KB, 1375x758
>>323912224
The cycle...
the cycle never ends
>>
>>323907143
Oblivion's leveling system is an absolute PoS. If modding that out wasn't your first mod then you are doing it wrong. Base game was awful.
>>
>>323914140
>The 'but then again' implies its a negative because you followed the previous positive statement with it.
If I'm recommending games with slow paced progression, and one of the games have been proposed to be relatively short within the genre, it's worth mentioning it out, because from the perspective of the factor he was asking for (slow-paced progression), this might be something negative. This is not fucking hard to comprehend.

>Yes they are. 20 hours is a LOT of time to do things.
Not really, not in an RPG where you spend first six hours learning how play, and last two or more locked in an epilogue (Battle of Grunwald, which has been claimed to be the climax of the game, but considering it takes place some six years after the meat of the game, well, you can connect the dots).
Now take away time needed for dialogues, travel time and all that shit, and yes all that is included in the length estimation.
And we are talking about a guy who created a MASSIVE fuck off map of New York for Mafia 2 only to not actually have it matter in the game, so it's not like Vávra, god bless his soul, does not have the tendency of overdoing stuff without accounting it's relevance for the game in the end.
I'm really looking forward to Kingdom Come, I've been following the game LONG before most of you even heard of it, back several years before the kickstarter and I wish that it turns out good, but A) for someone looking for a game with slow progression, the short length is a relevant concern, and for someone familiar with Vávra and his work and mentality, feature-creep in relation to the game's length is also a relevant concern.

>>323914353
What?
>>
>>323914524
It's pretty much exactly the same. Combat is the one thing that's mostly unchanged from other TES games.
Meanwhile Oblivion has a better main story, quests, writing, atmosphere, and world.
>>
>>323914872
I don't see how Skyrim combat is much different, besides fancy executions.
>>
File: 1362084589676.jpg (61 KB, 624x799) Image search: [Google]
1362084589676.jpg
61 KB, 624x799
>>323912697
No you can't, I've tried everything and it still blows.

-The factions are lame. Fighters Guild, Mage Guild, Thieves Guild. Where the fuck are the real factions, are these place holder names? Yes I'm aware these are explained in the lore, but where are my houses? Where's the political factions, you know the interesting things?

-The compass blows, but taking it out also ruins the quest since most of them don't even bother with writing and just give your character a telepathic arrow telling you where to go instead of explaining.

-Muh jungles, rice fields and dragons.

-Level scaling is cancer. This one can probably be modded out but I'm still going to complain because I'm still mad to this day. Enjoyed fighting goblins? Too bad now their all 6 foot tall warlord damage sponges. This with the scaled armor makes the game lose all sense of progression. You'll never wonder into the dark forest you shouldn't be in and get murdered. It's always going to be tailored to your current level so no worries. Its kills the sense of adventure completely.

-Four voice actors. Voice acting really limits the writing and impacts it in a negative way. All conversations are short and brief since they need it to fit on the disc. Its neat that every npc is a character, but their all shallow ones.

I could keep going but its already trdl.
>>
File: 22330_2016-01-14_00007.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
22330_2016-01-14_00007.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
GOAT Game
For anyone wanting to go back to it, here is a guide with all the essential mods. Following the installation guide though is recommended only for experts http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide
>>
>>323914872

Why is Skyrim's combat bad?

Melee animations are shit
Melee weapons feel like you're just swinging a foam stick against a rock
Enemies become tanks the more you level up, so you have to spend a month swinging your sword at them until they run out of HP

It's mostly the animations, which make the combat feel bad. But that's a problem that affects a lot more stuff than melee combat. Skyrim's animations are simply terrible

Archery and magic are cool though.
>>
You miss it? Just reinstall it
>>
>>323915173
Kek what is this
That piece of shit is more outdated than that old Oblivion Mod Flowchart pic from 2008 /v/

Just go to tesgeneral.com.
>>
>>323914973
>this might be something negative
So you agree it sounded negative...why are you questioning me then?

In response to your second point:
Fair enough.
>>
>>323915112
>fancy executions

Which are always ruined by shit animations and retarded placement of the camera.
>>
>>323912697
how delusional can one person be?
>>
>>323915276
>tesgeneral.com
tesgeneral guide is a clusterfuck, with outdated mods.
>>
>>323910234
It was funny as fuck to watch. For like two or three months the general consensus on /v/ was that "maybe not as good as Morrowind, but it's not bad. Oblivion never happened". Then that gradually turned into "well, maybe it kinda sucks, but at least it's no Oblivion", then "maybe Oblivion wasn't that bad after all, but Skyrim is an irredeemable piece of shit", then finally to "anyone else nostalgic for Oblivion?".

It's hilarious.
>>
>>323915276

The /tesg/ website is aimed mostly at Skyrim players
>>
>>323915173
>with all the essential mods
>missing dozens of essential mods

>>323915276
>Just go to tesgeneral.com.
This is literally worse than what he linked.
>>
>>323915112
For starters oblivion lacks the straffing animation in 3rd person.
Animations are ridicously bland and magic abilities need to be set manually before casting it, even if you're using shortcuts. Example: press 1 then cast to accept ability then cast again to deploy the spell, all this during a fight.
>>
>>323907143
>What went wrong?
Bethesda became too obsessed with making mod frameworks instead of complete games. Writing, world design and atmosphere suffered as a result.
>>
>>323912224
I wonder what they will be removing from the next game.
My bet is on them just merging skills into even smaller categories.
>>
>>323915301
>So you agree it sounded negative...why are you questioning me then?
Actually, you attacked me. I pointed it out that it's something to be weary off IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR GAMES WITH SLOW PACED PROGRESSION.
You interpreted that as direct insult or attack on the quality of the game.
That's all. We can drop it now.
>>
File: 1383983310075.jpg (1 MB, 1344x756) Image search: [Google]
1383983310075.jpg
1 MB, 1344x756
>>323914872
>>323915215

A little mental experiment I run when thinking if a games combat sucks is this. If your losing a fight, hows does it effect how you play?

In a Souls game, I might play more defensive, pay closer attention to their attack pattern. I'll look for openings and consider my options. I'm fully immersed in the game and all my thoughts are focused on this one task.

In an Elder Scrolls game I chug potions.
>>
>>323915943
Look at fallout 4, it's just going to be streamlined perks which you put points in.
>>
>>323916150

There's no such thing as tactics in Skyrim. The only important factor is how strong your weapon is and how much damage your armor can tank.

Increasing difficulty only turns enemies into bulldozers and nerfs the player to shit, because actual difficulty like improving enemy AI is difficult to do I guess.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Skyrim but not for the combat.
>>
For me the most offensive thing is that spellcrafting was removed and all of the joy and passion was drained from alchemy and enchanting, something which thus far no mods have been able to fix to a satisfactory level.

If it weren't for that I could forgive Skyrim for being considerably less interesting than Oblivion, but as it stands, I'll stick to Oblivion and Morrowind.
>>
>>323916150
The combat in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim have all been terrible and remained more or less the same. I hope that in the next game we'll see a change of engine and how combat is played out.
>>
>>323915943
Whatever is left of racial bonuses will be gone.
Birthsign perks will be permanent and stack.

It's hard to think of anything else because Skyrim already did it.
>>
File: exasperated face.jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
exasperated face.jpg
18 KB, 500x375
>oblivion
>atmosphere

i'm so old

my only consolation is that you oblivionfags will experience the same indignity once skyrimfags start unironically claiming skyrim is the best TES game when the next one comes out
>>
>>323916341
>change of engine
>>
File: computer never obsolete feel.gif (3 MB, 287x191) Image search: [Google]
computer never obsolete feel.gif
3 MB, 287x191
>>323910234

>skyrim is 5 years old.
>>
>>323908227
Basically this. Also the whole landscape felt really boring. Nothing but fields and a tiny strip of mountains up north. Also every fucking Aylied ruin was the fucking same. People rightfully complain about all the Draugr in Skyrim but the fucking Aylied shit was far more annoying.
>>
>>323916341
>>323916332

I'd be fine with weak combat, if only it were held up by deeper RPG mechanics, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
>>
>>323915343
Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1387525848466.jpg (323 KB, 639x955) Image search: [Google]
1387525848466.jpg
323 KB, 639x955
>>323916435
I feel the same.
>>
>>323910556
That's not Chaydenhal. Broke ass Chorrolfags.
>>
File: original (4).jpg (613 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
original (4).jpg
613 KB, 1280x720
>It's infinitely better and more atmospheric than skyrim will ever be.
that's not true though. level scaling and a myriad of other design choices make the game a steaming mess. and oblivion's atmosphere and world were very dull and uninteresting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUynhkal1I
>>
>>323916674
As infuriating as Ayleid ruins were, they wer still better than Morrowind dungeons.

Morrowing dungeons were bad.
Really, fucking bad.
So bad I don't fucking even.
FUCK YOU BETHESDA RED MOUNTAIN WAS THE SHITTIEST FINAL DUNGEON I'VE EVER SEEN. FUCK.

Forgive me for sperging out. That was a complete game ruining moment for me.
>>
File: laughing saints.png (156 KB, 450x495) Image search: [Google]
laughing saints.png
156 KB, 450x495
Can't bring myself to beat it. It was fun until a certain point but once I was done with the Mage's guild quest line I just sort of lost interest. Combat became too much of a chore too.

I should just ease up the difficulty so enemies won't be so spongy and beat the game but no drive.
>>
I am currently playing through it for the first time.

There are still 3 more cities to discover (the Western one and the two to the south), but I kind of want to finish the main story since I already got pretty far (had to defend Bruma once). But I am supposed to bring in some allies.

Don't half the Oblivion gates just disappear by the end of the main quest? Is it worth it to close them all beforehand?

What do?
>>
>>323917096
If Morrowind dungeons are bad, Oblivion dungeons are fucking horrible. At least Morrowind dungeons frequently had a measure of complexity and verticality to them.
>>
>>323917172
>Don't half the Oblivion gates just disappear by the end of the main quest?
All of them dissapear by the end of main quest.
Then again, there are only like four or five Oblivion realms in the game, the game just teleports you to one of those, which means that even if you are closing ONLY the gates required for the story progression, you will see all of them more than once and be completely fucking sick of them, so don't worry.
The loot in them is also generated and level scaled, so you are not actually getting anything unique in them.

>>323917393
Agreed. Actually, Morrowind's dungeons are often pretty cool. The fortresses are boring, and the Red Mountain is clearly rushed and generally really weak, but many of Morrowind's dungeons are sprawling, with secret areas hidden, considerable degree of verticality, and often combining several different asset sets together.
Oblivion's ruins were far, FAR worse.
>>
File: 1290937934429.jpg (63 KB, 582x480) Image search: [Google]
1290937934429.jpg
63 KB, 582x480
>>323907697

I first played Oblivion when it came out, so I have a great deal of nostalgia towards it. I just recently played and beat Morrowind for the first time a week ago. I think a few things are incontrovertible to mention when comparing the two.

>Morrowind has a far better magic system
More spells. More variety. More options. More utility.

>Oblivion has far better guild quests
The guild quests like the thieves guild, etc in Morrowind are complete garbage.

>Morrowind has a better main quest

>Morrowind does travel better
It is more immersive to take stilt riders or be teleported between mage guild halls than to just click on a map where you want to go. Also, not having mark/recall in oblivion is less than desirable. (They allow you to mark your location and warp back to it at a later point in time using magic)

>Morrowind has a far superior quest journal
Instead of the game relying on waypoints to tell you where to go, you read your journal to find direction. This is one of the worst aspects of Oblivion in my opinion. If you don't turn off waypoints it starts feeling like a mindless footrace game instead of an RPG.

>Morrowind did world building and lore exploration better

>Oblivion did melee and ranged combat much better

>Oblivion did harvested materials better
>>
Has the elder scrolls games really added anything new and actually revolutionary to the genere since Daggerfall?

I recently went back to play Morrowind up to Skyrim and realised that they are pretty crappy in their own way and pretty bland overall.

Daggerfall is legit comfy though and even though its buggy, it still has some heart in it. Maybe it was because Todd didn't lead the development back then.
>>
Good mods that get rid of Oblivion's stupid level scaling?
>>
>>323917862
>Has the elder scrolls games really added anything new and actually revolutionary to the genere since Daggerfall?
Yes. Incredibly well designed and original hand-made world with sense of physical presence in Morrowind. Which actually was the only thing that really redeemed the whole series.
They have not added anything worth while since Morrowind, in fact Morrowind was probably just a lucky fluke.
>>
>>323917393
Verticality was nice, but it was underutilized. There weren't any dungeons where it played an important role, it for the most part was there only as a short-cut or as a cue that you should be checking ledges for hidden loot. Loot is pretty much the only saving grace of Morrowind's dungeons, it was a brilliant change coming from Daggerfall.

But in general the dungeons were small, with no traps or puzzles whatsoever, only maybe a handful of hidden quests or important NPCs, and an entire type of dungeon (egg mines) that you could always safely ignore because they don't have shit.

I simply can't comprehend how the studio that gave me Direnni tower managed to shit out such an abomination.
>>
>>323914878
It's not really a cycle. Bethesda just makes worse games every time it goes back to the TES well. I don't think people would have nostalgia goggles for Oblivion if Skyrim had made notable improvements. (Setting was actually one improvement in Skyrim over Oblivion, but that's only because Oblivion was so damn bland.)
>>
>>323907143
I odn't know how can people can get immersed into Oblivion
It looks like a cartoon that is trying to be realistic
>>
File: Screenshot_20160112_223504.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160112_223504.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
Elder Scrolls Online is the best TES since morrowind.
>>
>>323918047
MOO+OOO
>>
>>323917595
>All of them dissapear by the end of main quest.
Didn't know that, thanks.

But you get fame for closing them, right? I mean, is that worth it? All I found out is that any fame beyond 66 has no effect on disposition.

Also, aren't some of the ressources you can find inside those gates needed for other quests?
>>
File: 1421926552787.jpg (313 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1421926552787.jpg
313 KB, 600x800
>>323918180
FANCIFUL PORTRAYALS
>>
Was modding ever able to remove the potato faces?
>>
>>323918318
Yes, Oblivion Character Overhaul.
>>
>>323918180
Well at least the quests aren't any worse than Skyrim's. Plust you get to go to Morrowind.
>>
File: 1442119892709.jpg (9 KB, 279x284) Image search: [Google]
1442119892709.jpg
9 KB, 279x284
>>323918302
>best RPG elements
>best gameplay
>all of tamerial is playable
>changes some lore in the already INCREDIBLY flexible/hazy TES lore
>neckbeards lose their shit and ignore the one RPG they've been wanting from Bethesda since day 1
>>
>>323918318
No, because modders are too much of weebs to make realistic faces.

Instead the most common face "improvement" mods turn people into cartoonish anime trash.
>>
without mods it's the worst TES game. with mods, it's pretty good, but it's also the most difficult TES game to mod. modding skyrim is easy and most of the important morrowind mods all come in one package.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160112_200925.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160112_200925.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>323918715
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>323918250
>But you get fame for closing them, right?
There is no really relevant fame mechanic in the game. And no, it's not worth it. You'll get precisely NOTHING that you could not get otherwise and with less annoying repetition.
There are some alchemy resources in the daedric lands that you would otherwise have to buy, but they aren't important to any quests and be replaced by others. Also, just over the course of the main quest, you'll be forced into so many Oblivion gates that really - you will not give two flying fucks about it before it ends.
>>
anime > potato
>>
File: 1395346049584.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1395346049584.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>323918318
>>323918486
>>323918715
>>
>>323910556
Why is that UI so popular despite looking like shit?

The default one is way more comfy with its paper look
>>
>>323918873
Still looks pretty starchy m8
>>
>>323918180
I think everyone on this shitty board can agree ESO is complete and utter shit.
>>
>>323918180
Nice meme
>>
File: 1434158036619.jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1434158036619.jpg
11 KB, 275x183
>>323907143
Oblivion had a lot more pirate related things which I love, but Skyrim was just more fun to me. I miss Spell Creation and using the Journal to read where to go. The Journal should still be an option and why did they remove create a spell? Morrowind isn't that much fun anymore. Maybe if the combat system was improved i'd like it more. Morrowind is still really charming though. I remember getting a quest where a lady who got sexually assaulted wanted me to go find the person who did it, and say she loved him lol. She gave me her glove to prove it was legit but I said fuck it and just stole the glove because it looked cool.
>>
>>323907697
Both games have aged like milk. Even Skyrim is hurrying down to ugly town, and it's only 4 years old.
>>
>Oblivion 2000+ hours
>Skyrim 410 hours

I was a ronery fat nerd with a xbox 360 when I played Oblivion.
Damn It was that time when I didn't give a fuck about character builds and min maxing.
I just played and was amazed by everything that happened. The dark brotherhood questline was by far the best part of the game.
>tfw Bruma
>tfw weynon chapel appears between the lush trees with the flute playing in the background
>Hunting deer in the mountains
>Mage's guild questline
>Finding Umbra
>Ghost ship
>Finding out who the Grey Fox is
>Count of Skingrad
>Nirnroot
>Finding the unicorn

I smoked weed every day when I played skyrim. Comfy repetitive game with lots of eye candy. Quests and plot were utter shit.
>>
>>323920030

Skyrim already looked and played old in 2011.
>>
File: 1388971711766.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1388971711766.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
>>323918683

vs

>>323919147
>>323919265

1 logical argument vs 2 memeposters

Never been so conflicted
>>
>>323919284
she was robbed, not sexually assaulted
>>
>>323920114
>that time when I didn't give a fuck about character builds and min maxing
;_;
>>
>>323920114
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
Old video but I agree on almost everything in it
http://youtu.be/JweTAhyR4o0
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.