[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so fucking terrible? I tried playing Path of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 13
File: header-1.jpg (44 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header-1.jpg
44 KB, 460x215
Why is this game so fucking terrible? I tried playing Path of Exile because people told me it was a better Diablo, but it feels worse in pretty much every significant way.

Huge confusing build tree, being forced to play through the game multiple times, respecs aren't free forcing you to start new characters, stiff controls. The absolute worst thing is that skills are tied to gem slots on your gear, meaning that any upgrades HAVE to have good slot arrangements on them too or else they're trash.

Great music and story though. I also like the currency system. That's about it, though.
>>
>>323869647
>>Huge confusing build tree, being forced to play through the game multiple times, respecs aren't free forcing you to start new characters, stiff controls. The absolute worst thing is that skills are tied to gem slots on your gear, meaning that any upgrades HAVE to have good slot arrangements on them too or else they're trash.

You haven't explained why any of these are bad things.
>>
>>323869647
>being forced to play through the game multiple times, respecs aren't free forcing you to start new characters

how is this not diablo
>>
>>323869647
the more you understand the easier it gets but if you don't like arpgs poe's "flaws" are extremely magnified
>>
>>323869647
>Huge confusing build tree
>confusing
there is nothing confusing about it. Each class starts at a different point on the tree. Path through the tree to select the nodes you want/need. Nothing confused

>any upgrades HAVE to have good slot arrangements on them too or else they're trash.

guess i should have kept reading before replying, confirmed for bait or retarded. You can change the number and color of gems on gear.

I'm not saying POE is perfect, you're just wrong and do not know what you're talking about completely.
>>
>>323869776

Because it's archaic unfun bullshit, that's why.

>>323869913

Getting rid of this was one of the things Diablo 3 did right out of the gate. Ditching the multiple-playthrough story loop and Implementing Adventure mode and Rifts made the game even better. Nobody wants that shit back.
>>
>>323869776
>You haven't explained why any of these are bad things.
As someone that played it religiously for quite a long time, the game is bad because it requires a new player to reroll a half-dozen times just to figure out how awful the sprawling bloated passive tree is.

It's a game that requires hours and hours of reading, planning, and grinding, just to squeeze out something resembling mild amusement from a "kind of" unique build.

It's "classes" are also so homogenized that at any one time there's usually only two strong ones, with everything else being utterly mediocre to downright awful.

Over the years I've tried to get my friends into PoE, but christ it's just not worth the investment. The only reason I got so into it was because I got in an accident at work and couldn't walk and only had one usable hand for three months, and PoE assuredly requires nothing but left and right click.
>>
>>323870394
>it's archaic unfun bullshit, that's why.

Gr8 b8 m8, I give it a 7.
>>
>>323870394
You should probably stick to d3 then.
>>
>>323870263
>there is nothing confusing about it. Each class starts at a different point on the tree. Path through the tree to select the nodes you want/need. Nothing confused

Except you can totally fuck yourself when you reach a certain point in the game and realize that you need more health or whatever and have no points leftover and not enough refunds.

>>323870263

>guess i should have kept reading before replying, confirmed for bait or retarded. You can change the number and color of gems on gear.

Except you're not supposed to waste currency on leveling gear. Or that's what people told me, anyway.
>>
>>323870780

I will. What I don't understand is how anybody can actually find PoE fun. They're so caught up in their D2 nostalgia that they don't realize how shitty some of the held-over mechanics are.
>>
>>323869647
>this game is too complex for me and take effort to learn the systems so it's bad

k
>>
>>323871315
>They're so caught up in their D2 nostalgia that they don't realize how shitty some of the held-over mechanics are.

oh the ironing

If Diablo 3 still was the game it was when it was released, you would be playing PoE right now, but since you're getting all these quality of life additions to D3, you've become a Blizzard buttbuddy.

It's exactly the same with WoW. People are now so ingrained with the idea that everything should be handed to them without any effort, that the game will never be good again.
>>
>>323871478
>It's exactly the same with WoW. People are now so ingrained with the idea that everything should be handed to them without any effort, that the game will never be good again.

This. It's Blizzard's design philosophy for all of their games now and it's awful. They remove depth and things that require effort to get, because they say it isn't "fun" (their exact words).

I get that casuals love that shit but it's anti-fun for me.
>>
>>323871315
>please daddy blizzard, spoon the feces directly into my mouth
>>
>>323870263
>there is nothing confusing about it. Each class starts at a different point on the tree. Path through the tree to select the nodes you want/need. Nothing confused

Don't be a fucking moron. Try explaining the difference between "Evasion" and "Dodge" to anyone who doesn't go read up on what the differences are, and do it using only the tooltips on the in-game tree.

Oh wait, you fucking can't, because PoE's descriptions were written by moronic five-year-olds and many passives, to this day and despite almost a half-dozen overhauls, continue to be utterly worthless or so vague that they're noob-traps.

>You can change the number and color of gems on gear.
Obviously you can blow hundreds of orbs on a piece of gear if you want to, but have fun doing it at the "end game" when you get some Shav's or whatever, but leveling up the majority of the gear is just worthless if it doesn't have the right slots and colors.
>>
haha cry about it loser
>>
>>323870961
>Except you can totally fuck yourself when you reach a certain point in the game and realize that you need more health or whatever and have no points leftover and not enough refunds.

What are Regret Orbs?
>>
I haven't played the game in quite a while because I lost interest, but I'm convinced people who think the passive tree is confusing are legit fucking retarded. All you have to do is look at the special nodes and work your way towards the ones you want and figure out which of the handful of paths you want to take to that node. There's literally nothing confusing about it: it's just big.
>>
>>323871478
>If Diablo 3 still was the game it was when it was released,
I loved that time. Too bad they dumbed down inferno so much.
>that feel when kill diablo on inferno after 45 minutes of non-stop butt-pounding
>>
>A good thing
>Same as Diablo
>Giving a shit about respects when the main point of the game is ladder
>Nonexistant stiff controls
>Baw I don't like the skill system
I propose you stop being a complete faggot OP. The only real complain about this game was desync and I think they finally fixed it at some point?
>>
>>323872471

he's not upset that he can't respec. he's upset he can't do it for free. typical millennial.
>>
stupid le troll post
>>
>>323872956
But the mechanic of the game is very simple and straightfowards: Respec points are a commodity. Use the few you get from leveling, or save them by planning your tree and leveling carefully. If you want more, you gotta start trading.

That's literally one of the most simple-to-understand game mechanics I can think of outside of "Here's a vendor which resets your tree for free. Enjoy".
>>
>>323871453
This game isn't complex though...
>>
>>323869647
I remember liking the beta, then I played it a few months ago with the same character (who I had like 10 hours with) and I had to respec my shit which was annoying since I had to do it in a way so that I could wear the equipment I had that had skill requirements, and all the chaos orb trading or whatever the fuck, I just lost interest, I'm sure it's still a good game, but for now I'm playing Diablo 3 on PS3 and I'm enjoying that in a similar yet different way.
>>
>>323873215
Use of the wiki is almost necessary to understand even seemingly simple things like the difference between evasion and dodge or the difference between life leech and life on hit. The game is fairly complex, certainly much more complex than any other contemporary ARPG.
>>
>>323872667
Yeah, they should've left it that way without the AH.

Now the game just feels novel for at most a week when a new season is out, and then it just gets boring.
>>
>>323873472
if you can read on a 5th grade level you shouldn't have any trouble understanding
>>
File: 1312763121996.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1312763121996.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>323869647
>tree is simple as fuck, just big
>3 simple as fuck attributes
>3 simple as fuck elements plus chaos
>a few special nodes with awesome effects scattered across the tree
>still thinks skill tree is confusing despite it's simplicity
>>
>>323873696
It's not complex because you have to read. It's complex because there's many different mechanics working underneath the apparent simplicity if you watch someone play the game.
>>
>>323873472
All of that is standard theorycrafting though. The game itself is nothing but an autistic loot grind once you learn its systems. It's no more "deep" than Diablo is.
>>
>>323873978
>it's no more deep than Diablo is

How much is Blizzard paying you?
>>
File: 1450744685073.gif (1 MB, 446x270) Image search: [Google]
1450744685073.gif
1 MB, 446x270
>>323869647
>a better Diablo
Nothing is a better Diablo than Diablo.
>>
>>323869647
just go look up some builds. the game is literally free as well.
>>
I think it's a good game but I really dislike the trading system. selling shit is a huge pain in the ass so I end up just vendoring it, which leads to me having very little currency which again leads to poor mapping. that's why I retire my characters at around 90-92. In D3 I can just...play the game. I don't need to set aside hours where I try to sell and buy shit.
>>
I enjoy Path of Exile, but I really wish they would sell respec points for real money. Call me a plebian, but I would really love to give them money for the game and none of the cosmetics are appealing at all. However I would use the shit out of more respec points because I am terrible at making builds that are feasible at level 40+ and looking up builds on the net is boring.
>>
>>323873181
Just because you can understand something due to simplicity doesn't mean shit. It's generally less time consuming to just completely reroll than it is to respec.

Which is fucking retarded.
>>
>>323873770
>amazing effects
>most of the special nodes are just shit like "you only have 1hp now, good job"
Yeah they are all lame, passive tree is such a failure of a system. It's basically just a more tedious version of Diablo III's passive skills
>>
>>323877228
>Not doing a 1hp shield build by combining various passives and living on the edge
>The whole point is that life steal on shield was instantaneous while on health it had delay
>>
One of the best things you can do in Path is learn how to race. Learning how to push a character, what to skip (zones, monster packs, certain things), how to maximize your time. Then apply this to the game and you'll be able to clear through to A3 Piety very quickly, then you can start the game.
Is this shitty, and you shouldn't have to do this? Yeah, probably. But it's one way to make the game more enjoyable.
>>
almost all of the problems revolve around the fact the game is balanced around trade and trade is complete and utter dogshit in this game.

no, auction house isn't the answer, either. dunno what is. all i know is prohibiting d2jsp use is really fucking stupid when you don't have a better solution currently in place.
>>
I've played Diablo 2, Diablo 3, and PoE since release. I only play hardcore, and I've probably played every build possible in all three games.

Each game is like 50% of a great ARPG. PoE does well in some areas (crafting, currency, trading, customization, theme, etc) while D3 does better in other areas (gameplay, balancing, build diversity, engine).

Historically, there was no competition - PoE was easily ten times better than D3. I don't think this is true anymore. GGG has been fucking up so much (awful leagues, awful racing, awful PvP, low build diversity, awful mapping, awful act 4, etc). Meanwhile, Blizzard has actually being doing much better with D3 (rebalancing on an OCD level, set bonus reworking, legendary reworking, Kanai's cube, implementation of grift endgame, cancelling PvP, etc).

Both games are exciting for the same amount of time now - a few weeks at a time, typically right when there's a new patch, league, or expansion.
>>
>>323880917
poe.trade
>>
>>323871315
bye nerd
>>
>>323880937
There's an act 4 now?
Last I played final boss was some guy on top of a tower.
>>
>>323881157

Yes, they managed to make Act 4 so fucking horrible that Act 3 feels like a vacation. It's not a difficulty issue, the zones, mobs, and bosses are atrocious.
>>
I play this game a ton but I can definitely understand why it doesn't appeal to most people.

If you don't enjoy theorycrafting, slowly seeing your build coming together and reaching its full potential all while hoping for those RNGesus GG drops, this game isn't for you
>>
File: 1126683902058.jpg (13 KB, 178x283) Image search: [Google]
1126683902058.jpg
13 KB, 178x283
>make a build that's unbeatable
>this is really easy to do even without knowing you're literally going to make it unbeatable
>beat game, takes maybe an hour since the first run is hilariously easy
>now your goal is repeat what you just did over and over for better gear
>no interesting levels, they're all the same exact formula as every diablo game and diablo clone
>no interesting enemies, same as above
>no interesting items or classes, same as above

I played through it 4 times, 3 with the same character and the 4th with a different class

With both I literally never died once. It was one of the least fun experiences I had and it killed any drive I had to ever play another diablo clone ever again.
I realized they're all literally the same with the only major differences of any of them ever being setting. Even the characters are nearly almost always the same.
I've refrained from trying Grim Dawn because of this.
>>
>>323881832
>Never died
Even in the hard difficulties and playing solo?
I find that hard to believe unless they nerfed the difficulty a lot since I played, or you were permanently in a party.
>>
>>323882476
First build was a lighting + fire warden using two handed blunt weapons

Second build was summons witch

I never died. I don't even know if there are any repercussions or what it looks like when you die.
The only time I used a party was the very last stretch of act 4.
>>
>>323871315
so basically you want everything handed to you on a silver plater like D3 does?

Because thats why alot of people who loved D2 HATED D3

it was made for casuals
>>
>>323881258
God bless for the boosts. Only need to do a4 at the start of the leagues and after that just sit ín town and wait for someone to rush you through.
>>
>>323882648
>last stretch of act 4.

So you never moved on from normal difficulty?
Normal is literally "can facetank everything including the bosses" difficulty. It is essentially a tutorial level.
>>
I stopped playing the game about 6 months after its release. It was fun in the beginning, but the combat is not enjoyable and desync makes it unbearable to play. Theorycrafting builds is usually more fun than actually using the build because GGG likes to nerf everything to the ground.
>>
>>323883048
No I went on past it, every time I took a party for the last boss of act 4 though because I was tired of playing alone.
>>
>>323883121
No way in hell you cleared a4 merciless without dying m8
>>
The skill tree and the build diversity are really amazing. But the gameplay itself is barebones shit that boils down to

>Can I tank these mobs?
>if yes, close eyes and spam right click
>if no, close eyes and spam right click in a different map
>>
>>323880962
exactly why trade is complete and utter shit

>just download this party tool
>just price everything one by one
>just use this third party website
>just be a merchant all day every day while trying to play

at least with d2jsp, i could arrange all my trades conveniently OUTSIDE of the game. that's the advantage of having an insanely popular community hub to arrange trades from.
>>
>>323883208
>Not using at least 3-5 skills
U wot
>>
You mongoloids complaining about respecs are utter trash. Once you've played for a bit you can do 1-60 in like 2/3 days, and if your build is trash tier you're not gonna get much further then lvl 45 anyway. Go back to D3 plebs.
>>
>>323883343
I fully agree that fully relying on 3rd party shit for trading is kinda shitty but you honestly dont know how to trade if you think using poetrade + the acquisition is hard.

After you set up tabs with buyout prices you literally dont even have to look at acquisition anymore.
Just drop 5c item into 5c tab etc. and have on tab with no defined price for shit you are unsure about.
>>
>>323881832
Grim Dawn is effectively Titan Quest, which is a bit different
>>
>>323882702
>so basically you want everything handed to you on a silver plater like D3 does?
>Because thats why alot of people who loved D2 HATED I I think the problem is that neither game has an elegant solution to the problem D2 solved.

D3 just dumbs everything down. PoE tries too hard to copy D2, while missing the reason why rerolling was enjoyable.

There were so many systems in place in D2 that made starting over enjoyable.

>imbue quests
>sockets quests
>finding LLD items
>mules
>forges
>pretty great grouping in trist runs -> tombs -> a3/meph -> cows -> chaos -> baal4qest

Why do I start over in PoE again? Oh yeah, because I HAVE to not because I'm getting anything I really want. The dumb game mechanics forced me to. And it couldn't be anymore boring along the way.

>use shitty broken leveling skill into maps
>that's it

Diablo 2 forces me to start over (or at least it used to, not anymore) but rewards me handsomely for doing so. PoE forces me to start over then accuses me of not being loyal to Diablo 2 for questioning it.
>>
>>323883636
>you honestly dont know how to trade if you think using poetrade + the acquisition is hard
it's not hard, they're just shit to use and they make the game feel shitty to play and the game is balanced around trade hence they're a requirement to properly play the game, thus the game is shit.
>>
>>323884019
>they're just shit to use

Proving you dont know how to set up a shop.
After the initial set up you dont need to look at the program. You just open it and it automatically updates your shop thread according to what shit you have dropped in to your b/o tabs and then poe trade automatically indexes your shop.

If drag&dropping an item into a corresponding tab is too hard for you then i dont know what to tell you.
>>
>>323883830
It's fine for you to like a casual game like D3

you're still a casual
>>
>>323883830
How the hell does Diablo 2 reward you for starting over exacty?
>>
>>323884273
>just shove this spiked club up your ass, it's not even hard xD
nobody cares if it's hard or not dude, you're shoving a damn spiked club up your ass. holy shit poe players are fucking retarded.
>>
>>323883830
>But you see, diablo 2 was better and rewarded me for rerolling because I liked their quests and areas better.
I mean, sure, but that's a dumb argument to make.
>>
>>323884753
Whoa mate why are you getting so angry?
You just complained that trading and maintaining a shop is a chore which i proved to be a clearly false statement. I don't see how your spike shenanigans have anything to do with it.
>>
>>323884504
by giving you incredibly important items in the form of quest rewards that you can use as currencies (forges, imbues, sockets)

because your level is intimately tied to other important game mechanics, starting over gives you a chance to find some expensive LLD items because pvp in Diablo 2 was a desirable game mechanic, there was a flourishing item economy based around low level dueling

you could also gamble certain base items at a certain level by starting over

to create a mule for stash space, cube, grushing

the actual leveling process was enjoyable because of the nature of skill trees and leveling and doing runs and grouping up. in poe it's just solo your way to maps with broken leveling skill, that's it.
>>
>>323884954
>You just complained that trading and maintaining a shop is a chore which i proved to be a clearly false statement.
so is cleaning an outhouse, it's not hard at all but do you enjoy it? i don't. trading in poe is cleaning an outhouse, have fun you stupid faggot.
>>
>>323885236
I just fail to see how dropping an item in a tab can be seen as a task that is in any way or form difficult or irritating.
I guess you find selling items to vendors in other games also comparable to cleaning outhouses or shoving spikes up your ass?
>>
>>323885509
>I just fail to see how dropping an item in a tab can be seen as a task that is in any way or form difficult or irritating.
it's irritating, not difficult, you god damned shit eating moron.

it's irritating because it's NOT PART OF THE GAME YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

most people will NEVER EVER EVER use it for the mere fact that it's

1) NOT PART OF THE GAME
2) YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THIRD PARTY TOOLS TO USE

the amount of people actually participating in trade is excruciatingly slim. partly because they have no clue these tools exist. partly because they choose not to use them because it's a piss poor implementation of trade

again the key point you will not address because it SHITS ALL OVER YOU is that d2jsp had a ______GIGANTIC COMMUNITY__________ to trade with and you can organize all your trades conveniently from d2jsp _____________________OUTSIDE OF THE GAME_____________________________

acquisition and poe.trade requires you to be a persistent merchant WHILE YOURE PLAYING THE GAME all while using a bunch of third party bullshit

GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL YOU GOD DAMNED SHIT EATING MORON. argue the points being made or get shit on you dumb faggot.
>>
>>323869647
>help I'm stupid and angry about it
>>
I enjoyed it until I beat Act 4 for the first time.

I honestly thought my game glitched when I was at the beginning again.

If beating the game 3 times before being able to really play (according to the community) is a staple of the genre, then it's easily one of the worst genres out there.

I don't understand how it's tolerated or even defended.
>>
>>323885970
Yeah i addressed the fact about 3rd party in a post earlier. I already said it's a shit move from developers to just drop all trading to 3rd party programs and sites.
Still doesn't remove the fact that the current 3rd party trading is streamlined as fuck and absolute nobrainer to manage, something you argued against.
>>
>>323869647
>Huge confusing build tree
People play PoE because they like building and designing their characters in a more advanced way than you could in d2.
>being forced to play through the game multiple times
This isn't true for diablo 3?
Was fairly certain that it was, that you played through nightmare and hell and went through the acts again like in d2.
I like seeing a new take on the easy early areas.
>respecs aren't free forcing you to start new characters
Yep that is essential.
Otherwise the character wouldn't be yours. Part of the fun is making your own build, your own character. Not just picking out of A, B, or C which it would boil down to if everyone just could copy everything and stay on only 7 characters.

Had a lot of fun making my bow marauder, my wand maraude, my spell marauder.
My dual wand witch early in the closed beta when most people seemed to shun wands as a weapon beyond boosting spell damage.

>stiff controls
hm, maybe, I'm not sure what you mean by this.
It's been a while since I've played.

>The absolute worst thing is that skills are tied to gem slots on your gear, meaning that any upgrades HAVE to have good slot arrangements on them too or else they're trash.
It was one of the draws for me. Diablo that wasn't Diablo 3 and it had FFX sphere grid with FF7 materia.
A little annoying when you have a 5link int/dex armor when you really want a str armor though.

>Great music
Haven't really stood out to me that much, but I guess it isn't bad.
Vaal Oversoul Fight music is good though.
>>
>>323886338
>3rd party trading is streamlined
Streamlined would be being able to seamlessly pull up all trading interfaces in game.

3rd party trade requires you to swap between THREE DIFFERENT CLIENTS, your web browser, acquisition and poe, just TO TRADE A STUPID ITEM.

you have to use the fucking awful chat interfaces either on poe's forums or in game to communicate with players. they have NO GOOD COMMUNICATION PLATFORM WHATSOEVER AT ALL.

trying to communicate while playing is AWFUL. most people don't respond on the forums.

it's the worst trade system in any game EVER. i'd put massive cities filled with trade stalls in MMO's one tier above PoE's AWFUL trade system.
>>
File: LA7.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
LA7.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>Playing Path of Exile
>>
Grim Dawn is the best Diablo clone on the market
>>
>>323886942
That looks great.
What is it and hows the leveling system?
>>
>>323869647
>Why is this game so fucking terrible?
It isn't. You simply don't like it, at all by the sound of it. There's nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with people finding enjoyment in the game.

It's just not for you. You like this genre done differently. Clearly, many others disagree.
>>
>>323886742
Yeah obviously ingame trade system would be the best solution but the dev's for whatever reason dont want to make it happen.

Your other points about three different clients is just wrong though.
To sell an item you dont need to use anything but the game client. You drop an item into you stash tab and thats it. Acquisiton lists it automatically so again i fail to see how dropping an item into a stash tab is considered irritating.
When someone wants to buy your item they whisper you with the basic poetrade wtb message and then you invite them to party and trade. Wont get much more streamlined than that without 1st party trade system.

The current 3rd party system is as good as it gets and could be just copypasted in to the coregame itself.
>>
>>323886942
name of the game?
>>
>>323886942
What in the fuck am I looking at? I get that this is supposed to showcase the visuals, but that looks way too slow for this sort of game.
>>
>>323886238
>If beating the game 3 times before being able to really play

You have been playing the entire time. If you didn't enjoy it then, what makes you think you're going to keep enjoying it? Yes, the game is more fun as you progress, but it doesn't turn into a different game. If you got tired of the game, then you're done. Easy.
>>
>>323886942
I'v been wondeirng what the name of this game is for some time now...
>>
>>323887168
>>323887192
>>323887278
Lost Arc. Korean top down MMOARPG.
>>
>>323887123
>To sell an item you dont need to use anything but the game client. You drop an item into you stash tab and thats it. Acquisiton lists it automatically so again i fail to see how dropping an item into a stash tab is considered irritating.
Are you fucking really retarded? You literally just said "you don't have to use anything but the game client, just use this other thing that's not the game client". And you're also leaving out having to constantly reference prices on a fucking web browser and price items.

>When someone wants to buy your item they whisper you with the basic poetrade wtb message and then you invite them to party and trade
Yes, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING MAP, EVERY TIME. OR EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO MESSAGE THEM, THEY DON'T RESPOND OR ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A MAP, EVERY TIME.

That's why you need a messaging platform OUTSIDE OF THE GAME. This is why d2jsp was good because it had a massive community of players who you could message OUTSIDE OF THE GAME, they'd respond and you could conveniently setup a trade at each other's leisure rather than trying to frantically respond to whispers in the middle of a fucking map.
>The current 3rd party system is as good as it gets and could be just copypasted in to the coregame itself.
Putting it into the game is kinda one GIGANTIC FUCKING GAME CHANGING DIFFERENCE you god damned moron. That would mean EVERYBODY who plays is aware it exists and has access to it and the developers would be held accountable to making sure it works correctly and it would all be accessible within the game.
>>
File: 1342597724452.jpg (29 KB, 434x325) Image search: [Google]
1342597724452.jpg
29 KB, 434x325
>>323869647
>this entire OP

Is this what happens when people who didn't play any ARPG pre Diablo 3 try to play a game catered to people who played ARPGs pre Diablo 3?
>>
Why do people defend PoE so vigorously on this board?
>>
File: gruest seal.png (306 KB, 500x565) Image search: [Google]
gruest seal.png
306 KB, 500x565
>confusing build tree

LOL
>>
>>323887612
Well if you consider having a program running on background is same as actively using it i dont know what to say. I guess you hate using steam aswell seeing as you need to continuously use multiple programs to play your games.

On pricing items, you dont need to do it. You have tabs already set for certain prices and you drop your shit into the correct tabs. If you get some baller +1ex item you price it individually because its worth your time, otherwise just drop them into tab that is close to what the price would be.

You in the first place complained how using a the current 3rd party trading tools is such a awful experience which is obviously not true. I dont know why you keep bringing up the fact that not having 1st party trading is bad when we both have already agreed to that point.

Your argument just makes no sense that using an 3rd party site over another 3rd party site is easier. I can't see how using forums for trading is in anyway more efficient than communicating directly in game.
>>
>>323888105
Because what it sets out to do it does well and people who complain about it mostly come from the "waaah it's so tedious" end of the spectrum who don't get a say in the matter.

You can complain about the shit graphics and armor designs or whatever, you can even complain about the walk and castspeed on low level characters, but you can't say it's badly designed just because you find it overwhelming.
>>
File: 1440256931194.jpg (1 MB, 625x4933) Image search: [Google]
1440256931194.jpg
1 MB, 625x4933
desu
>>
>>323888289
I just don't think it's fun.
I had a fun heavy strike build for normal and cruel, but come act 3 merciless the game goes "nope. you don't get to have fun anymore. cookie-cutter builds only"
>>
>>323888334
Goblin toe boots require level 22, not 42.
>>
>>323888105
The same reason people put down PoE so vigorously on this board.
>>
>>323888492
>fun

But you having or not having fun is an incredibly flawed argument on your part. No one's gonna argue that you didn't enjoy it, people will argue when you call it a bad game because of it however.
>>
PoE pros
>extremely good currency and vendor system
>the map system is great, crafting maps is a really good mechanic
>passive skill tree is very cool
>accessing skills via socketing skill gems and support gems enables tons of builds
>literally everything is tradable, economy is entirely player-driven and the best in any multiplayer game (besides EVE)

PoE cons
>underwhelming graphics, yet somehow still manages to have really shitty performance
>desync and lag (mostly fixed since lockstep mode) can fuck your shit up
>very repetitive and boring gameplay

it's made by a company called "grinding gear games", and that's exactly what you get - a game where you grind for gear. duh.

if you like theorycrafting builds, grinding and trading for gear, constantly chasing that next upgrade, and slowly progressing from a sickly and weak exile to an unstoppable and overpowered killing machine, this game is for you.
if you're into skillful and engaging combat and gameplay, you're better off with another game or another genre altogether.
and if you want more flashy things and easy free rewards for everything then go play diablo, lol
>>
>>323888278
>I guess you hate using steam aswell
yes, I do. steam is fucking garbage. I actively avoid playing games on steam whenever possible and when I do play them, I disable the overlay almost all the time. and steam's integration with everything is a helluva a lot slicker, given that, you know, YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR IT TO PLAY ANY GAME ON IT unlike your dumbshit apples to oranges comparison where only people who know about your shitty third party trade tools existing will use them.

>On pricing items, you dont need to do it. You have tabs already set for certain prices and you drop your shit into the correct tabs. If you get some baller +1ex item you price it individually because its worth your time, otherwise just drop them into tab that is close to what the price would be.
while i have a lot of stash tabs, that also means you're limiting the trading base to players who have purchased a fuckload of stash tabs. again, this is a terrible piss poor solution.

>Your argument just makes no sense that using an 3rd party site over another 3rd party site is easier.
but that's not the argument at all you fucking retard. it's specifically the nature of messaging players as part of a fully featured trading website takes away the conflict of having players message you in the middle of a run. if poe.trade had a forum everybody used to arrange trades in with etiquette of not whispering players in game before setting up a trade on a forum, it would be similar to d2jsp.
>>
>>323888492
Merciless is a casual filter

because it ups the ante and makes piss easy builds crumble

its where you need to farm/trade better gear and learn better gem combinations and other gem skills to patch up the weakness that's forcing you down

It's true there are some skills that are good for leveling but those are for people who have already learned and mastered the game to be able to get to end game easier to test out more complicated builds
>>
>>323889000
>yet somehow still manages to have really shitty performance
I don't the game looks good, but it really is horribly optimized and it got worse in every god damn patch.

I remember when they added Vaal Oversoul, couldn't fight him due to the lag.
Doubled my ram and then the game was playable again.
Then the next big patch hits and it gets unplayable again.

I guess it should be expected of indie devs with high ambitions.
>>
>>323888735
How can I rephrase it?
Progression through the game, and progression through levelling, halted at Piety's electric lightshow in the crematorium; I stopped having fun.
The drop rate also sucks.
>>
>>323889178
>start typing a sentence.
>Decide I want to type something else, but forget to remove one part of it
I think the game looks good*
>>
>>323869647
So your major complaint is that you were too confused and stupid/bad to enjoy it?

Go back to Diablo then, clearly too much to think about here.
>>
>>323870457
You get a bunch of free passive respec points just for quests.
theres also orbs of regret.

I never had a problem with it when I started playing I just planned farther ahead than normal and made something simple until I understood the game.
>>
>>323889227
Anon you don't need to tell me that unoptimized builds don't have a chance in merciless. We all know that. That's the point of the game. That's what draws people in.
>>
>>323883206
It's not really hard to do that. I've gotten through the game on merciless on hardcore. You just have to play safe as shit and spam whatever skill is FOTM
>>
>>323871975
Oh I didn't know needing game knowledge was a bad thing.

I liked the old days of figuring what the differences out were, not the lazy spoonfeeding of todays games.
>>
>>323889057
How is spending your time messaging people on forums more efficient thant directly messaging them ingame? There is just no way that can happen. Why would you want to spend your time on some forum inbox sending messages back and forth for some shitty 2c items? Only time i would advocate on using forums would be for super expensive items, other than that i just want to get the trade done, as does the other party of the trade.

Also you dont need to have shitloads of stashtabs to efficiently trade. I have bought one stash bundle and have tabs for 1c, 3c, 5c, 7c, 10c, and no defined price for items pricier than that.

Also what is your problem with people messaging you in the middle of the map?
You literally only have to send them a "map, whisper you in a sec" back and that's that. You can even make a macro for it if you so wish
>>
>>323869647
Skill tree is amazing and fun and doest make you feel pigeonholed.

The gameplay is the same as evrey orther ARPG, if you want mobility then just make a cyclone characters.

I'm actually glad that they fixed desync, and even if i started 2 weeka ago i can tell that i will spend a lot of time playing this game.
>>
>>323883830
Rerolling in poe IS fun

When I die in hardcore I get to go, holy shit alright what build do I want to try now?

Something that only ever happened in Diablo 2 and D&D otherwise.

D3 theres no "builds" you just swap your gear and runes and call it a day. Just class specific.

theres a fuckload of possibilities in poe that are just fun to figure out and try until you rip.
>>
>>323888105
>on this board?
Did they finally word filter sub?
>>
>>323883830
You used to have to start over in d2 all the fucking time too

Remember when that one moron fucked up his attribute points or skill tree?

You had to start over for that too. You're only remember the d2 days where you KNEW what you were doing and started over doing that.

Poe is just a more complex version, once you know what you're doing starting over is fun as hell.
>>
File: Diablo_II_Coverart.png (166 KB, 256x362) Image search: [Google]
Diablo_II_Coverart.png
166 KB, 256x362
Why not simply still play D2? It is still the game it was, it has not changed,
>>
>>323871975
Acrobatics gives you a 30% chance to Dodge attacks.

Reflexes gives you +50 Evasion Rating and 30% Increased Evasion Rating.

So with those two you have an Evasion Rating of 65 and a 30% chance to Dodge Attacks from Acrobatics.

>and do it using only the tooltips on the in-game tree.
I'm not allowed to reference the character screen in game, or items in the game?
>>
>>323884019
You can't even fucking trade in d3.

Trading is MUCH easier in poe than it was in d2 and its predecessors.

Especially with resources like poe.trade
>>
>>323889748
>it has not changed,
Yeah it has
>>
>>323889227
>i'm losing all the time! i'm not having fun!
>therefor the game is bad!

merciless is essentially just a gear check. with capped resists and some health nodes, pretty much every somewhat decent build can beat it.

if you spent your talent points on areas of the tree that correspond to your playstyle then you'll be able to get through most of merciless.

of course, if you play a bow ranger with lots of bow skills but dump most of your points into strength and melee nodes then you wont get much done
>>
>>323888492
So make a better heavystrike build, unless you want to do uber atziri or are going for ladder rankings mostly anything is viable.
>>
>>323885970
You don't have to download a damn thing, son.
D2 used to use d2jsp and trade forums which were way more difficult to use than poe.

d2 never even had a fucking search shop function these external services provide.

in games you used to have to trade manually and post wtb/wts this is an extra that helps make this go and the game enables it.

You're honestly complaining about convenience when you play a game like d3 that has no trade system beyond "trade to these 3 other people in your game within this amount of time" and by trade it means drop.

Yeah. Because thats fucking better right?
>>
File: beetlejuice.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
beetlejuice.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>323888334
>Implying that come endgame, everybody wasn't wearing the exact same shit in D2
>>
>>323889227
>I played baseball with a soccer ball and lost
>baseball is a shitty game
>>
>>323889771
too bad evasion is shit
and forever will be shit as 1 hit could essentially one shot you
>>
>>323887192
D3 is also very slow the first few levels. They're showing off an alpha/beta of the game I'm assuming so I wouldn't take it as representative of the final product.
>>
>>323889748
Waiting on MedianXL 2016
>>
>>323885970
d2jsp was definitely more complicated and time consuming than acquisition or procurement. you literally just put an item in your 5c tab, then a while later somebody whispers you and you sell your item for 5c.

Tuff sutff
>>
>>323890080
Armor gets crushed anyways
>>
File: torchlight 1.png (93 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
torchlight 1.png
93 KB, 256x255
Best arpg coming through, don't mind me.
>>
>>323890080
could literally happen to any type of defnse
>>
>>323890295
cuck detected
>>
What is the highest amount of physical damage monsters do in path of exile?
>>
>>323890369
defense reduces a certain amount

get unlucky with dodge for several hits and you're dead
>>
>>323890452
>>
>>323890295
>Energy shield simulator
>>
>>323890452
Thousands. And if you want to mitigate it you need at least twelve times as much armor.
>>
>>323869647
>my first diablo was 3

okay retard
>>
File: help.gif (597 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
help.gif
597 KB, 500x375
>Enemy uses flameblast
>>
>>323888289
Personally, I love D2 to death. I tried PoE, but it's too obscure and I can't get into it. I also don't know anyone who plays it, and playing alone is lame.

I play D3 with my bro tho and it's fun when we play together. It's fast and decently stimulating. That's all it needs to be.
>>
>>323890573
I think I got one shotted by vaal rocks one time.
Not sure how much hp I had.
Maybe 2-3k.

So highest physical damage could it be at 5000?
More?

Evasion should be better vs big hits then.
>>
File: daijouburn.png (917 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
daijouburn.png
917 KB, 1280x720
>>323890650
>pre-nerf magnus
>>
>>323869647
I was gonna come in here to say madcozbad but it looks like there's already around 100 posts that beat me to it.

>>323890080
>1 hit could essentially one shot you

If you actually read into the mechanics, you'd know that's not true. Dodge/Evasion is an RNG defense but there are workarounds to stop 1hits, the most obvious one being having a lot of life which is what every hardcore build already does anyway.
>>
>>323889530
>How is spending your time messaging people on forums more efficient thant directly messaging them ingame?
Because it takes away the conflict of having people message you out of the blue while you're in the middle of playing because you arrange trades on the forum through messages rather than in game. So no annoying whispers while you're playing.

>Why would you want to spend your time on some forum inbox sending messages back and forth for some shitty 2c items
Why would you want to spend your time messaging people in a video game back and fourth for some shitty 2c items while you're trying to play?

>Also you dont need to have shitloads of stashtabs to efficiently trade. I have bought one stash bundle and have tabs for 1c, 3c, 5c, 7c, 10c, and no defined price for items pricier than that.
Uh, what? I find shitloads of items worth more than 10c and I have several tabs of items I don't sell. Chaos recipe tabs, map tabs, craft tabs, self use tabs, etc. I have at least 10 tabs of shit I don't sell. Then price wise, I also sell stuff for currency other than Chaos. I would need at least 20 tabs to effectively sell shit while also stashing shit, without being forced to price items differently to be compatible with a shit trade system.

>Also what is your problem with people messaging you in the middle of the map?
>You literally only have to send them a "map, whisper you in a sec" back and that's that
Because I play on hardcore and do difficult map mods, I'm not always privy to just casually whispering traders. In fact, I'm usually not. And let's reverse that the other way, I get sick of waiting for people to get done with their maps, sometimes people just flat out forget, especially when you're selling you're shit 1c item.
>>
>huge skill tree
>90% of them are shit
>every build is a cookie cutter build
>>
>>323890863
Some late game bosses do over 10k damage. But normal enemies deal around 1-3k damage. Rare bosses with certain affixes might do over 5k though.
>>
>>323889936
>D2 used to use d2jsp and trade forums which were way more difficult to use than poe.
d2jsp was one of the largest community hubs on the internet. poe.trade is a hole in the wall.

>d2 never even had a fucking search shop function these external services provide
d2jsp has search, yes.

>in games you used to have to trade manually and post wtb/wts this is an extra that helps make this go and the game enables it.
no this was just another thing d2 had, people could make trade games.

poe's trade system isn't acceptable in ANY WAY.
>>
>>323891040
>Why would you want to spend your time messaging people in a video game back and fourth for some shitty 2c items while you're trying to play?

So whispering people ingame is a waste of time but having to go completely out of the game to whisper people on a forum is not a waste of time?
>>
>>323869647
The build tree isn't that confusing is it? They basically just ripped off the sphere grid and the materia system.

The game's real problem is that it's imbalanced as fuck and, like you said, you don't get any respecs for when your build inevitably turns out to be shit for no reason other than one class/stat focus being way shittier than another.
>>
>>323891040
Bro, i dont know how much you trade but conducting trades through forums alone would take 10x the time it takes to list item to poetrade and do it via whispers.

We were talking about trading and the stash space required for that, i dont know why you keep pulling irrelevant stuff into your points.

I too play on hardcore and when someone whispers me about item i press f2 which automatically replies to the player with "map, ill whisper you back after done".
Also how the fuck are you conducting your trades if YOU have to wait for the buyer?
When someone wants to buy something from you, you trade inbetween maps. If the dude isnt there you start a new map and trade him after that. The buyer always comes to your ho for trades so i can't see how you waiting for the buyer could even happen.
>>
>>323890209
>you literally just put an item in your 5c tab, then a while later somebody whispers you and you sell your item for 5c.

this is assuming you have a million stash tabs and are able to accurately price everything you find

don't forget to visit poe.trade every step of the way through

or maybe you're a poe economy guru in the future on your job application you can put " know the price of all poe items by heart "
>>
>>323873472
no, that kind of stuff would make the game complicated, not complex. there's a huge difference between the two.
>>
>>323891534
>Having to learn the economy in an economy based game

ok
>>
>>323891534
You dont need to know the exact price of an item.
Who gives a shit if you sell 5c item for 3c, atleast you made the sale. You do need a general idea of what items are worth but beyond that just slam those items into the shop tabs because trading is about quantity, not quality. You waste more potential currency from drops by individually pricing your shit.

And about stash tabs, yeah this is and f2p game which makes majority of their dosh from stash tab sales.
>>
>>323891248
you're implying i want to trade while playing at the same time, i don't.

i want to play when i play and trade when i trade. that's why a community hub is good. i can browse trades and communicate outside of the game on the forums and in pm's. nobody does that in poe. the trade forums are a dumping ground for the indexers. i don't have a robust messaging platform for listing and communicating trades. i have a little whisper box and a bunch of third party shit while i'm trying to play.
>>
>>323873472
>>323891695
To add some explanation to this, having subtly different game mechanics which serve the same purpose or have the same outcome but have the difference not be obvious to the player is 100% just making things harder to understand without introducing any worthwhile complexity at all. the number of components in the games systems has effectively stayed the same but for some reason it's harder to understand.
>>
>>323889139
>merciless ups the ante and makes piss easy builds crumble

lol tell that to memefall users
>>
>>323891698
>he thinks price memorization is the same thing as understanding economics

LEL

>>323891829
>Who gives a shit if you sell 5c item for 3c, atleast you made the sale
this is a concession you have to make because your trade system is fucking dogshit. it is in no way an argument for the shit tier trade system poe has.

>And about stash tabs, yeah this is and f2p game which makes majority of their dosh from stash tab sale
yeah dude it's totally reasonable for players to have to buy 20 stash tabs to participate in a required feature for which the entire game is balanced upon.
>>
>>323891846
>nobody does that in poe

Guess why? The current system is 10x more efficient than using forums and conducting trades from there.
There is a good reason poe trade and shop tools came into existence. They are just that much more efficient.

If you want to trade in a horribly inefficient way it is your problem.
>>
>>323891157
Okay, so 10k damage, you'll need 50k armor to reduce it by 30%.
Or you could get Lightning Coil, evade a lot more and reduce about as much from the hits.

Getting Lightning Coil or that much armor is not exactly easy afaik though.
>>
>>323892063
Why is trading system dogshit if you have the option to invest more time into it and sell items with close to maximum profit or put them up for prices somewhere in the ballpark and probably sell some items at 60-70% of real price but reducing time needed to study the prices of each item?
>>
>>323892267
One handed with shield can get ridiculous amounts of armor. Especially with granite flasks.

Fortify and endurance charges are much easier ways of mitigating physical damage though.
>>
>>323891440
>Bro, i dont know how much you trade but conducting trades through forums alone would take 10x the time it takes to list item to poetrade and do it via whispers
it's entirely irrelevant. the point is you don't have to trade while playing. you use the community hub to browse other people's listings, place bids, message them on the forum, etc. the amount of time it takes to actually setup the trade feels faster because you're not trying to get to the next map, or stay with your group, or whatever. you can focus on trade and have a better set of tools to do so. other useful features like price checks spring out of community hubs which makes trading easier for everyone.

>When someone wants to buy something from you, you trade inbetween maps. If the dude isnt there you start a new map and trade him after that. The buyer always comes to your ho for trades so i can't see how you waiting for the buyer could even happen
yes that's how it's supposed to work but when you're juggling rolling maps, making sure your groups all set, responding to other messages, etc. often times people get distracted or forget and you wind up waiting longer. this is why i liked d2jsp. i just did my trading in my own time when i wasn't playing. i'd whisper someone then they'd whisper me the game name trade4/4 or whatever and boom done. once you get a game name, the trade is instantaneous.
>>
>>323892113
>Guess why? The current system is 10x more efficient than using forums and conducting trades from the
And yet, hardly anybody trades.

>There is a good reason poe trade and shop tools came into existence. They are just that much more efficient.
Because GGG made sure to drive everybody away from d2jsp is pretty much it.

>If you want to trade in a horribly inefficient way it is your problem.
No, that's my only solution. Your system sucks ass breh. Nobody uses it but a few retards like you. Nobody likes it but diehard poetards.

>>323892434
i dunno why don't you just shift goalposts some more
>>
The skill point system is a mistake, really. As a designer, you make it and you think it will promote enormous build diversity. But it doesn't, in reality, one smart player will find a highly effective build, and then everyone else will copy it, because experimentation with such a massive skill tree simply takes too long, it's not accessible to the average gamer.

It's much better to have a system like D3 where the choices are much fewer, but also clearer and more impactful. This promotes real diversity because experimenting is much more accessible. It's also easier to balance.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.