[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they called hack and slash, or character action games or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
Are they called hack and slash, or character action games or just action games /v/?
>>
I just consider them action games.

That require mastery.
>>
>>323843728
I always called them extreme action after seeing an EGM article refer Ninja Gaiden as that like 11 years ago.
>>
Button mashers.

inb4 someone claims you dont mash buttons in these games and that "if you mash you get rekt XD" or something similar

They are button mashers.
>>
>>323843728
It's hard to define them.
Yes, they are action games, but so are half of all video games.
Character action games sounds a little more accurate, but silly at the same time. Of course there's a character doing the action. They are just a very recognizable and "badass" character.
Hack and slash makes me think of a 2D beat em up, or 3rd person action game thats slower.

>>323844005
Aren't fighters button mashers too?
>>
>>323844005
You're lucky whiny faggots like you made announcing reports a bannable offense cause I'd be filing one hell of a report to announce right now.
>>
>>323844258

Yes.
>>
>>323844289

Okay.
>>
>>323843728
DMC is hack and slash, Diablo 2 is gookgrind.
Is that so hard?
>>
>>323844321
Then you can't really call them button mashers, it's too generic of a term.
Hell, you could argue that clicker games can also be qualified as a button masher, since you're just hitting a button the entire time.
>>
>>323843728
Character action is the term that seems to be used most in contemporary discussion (outside of 4chan, where misusing words is so common that it isn't even funny anymore, but genre names are sacred).
>>
>>323844484

I can and I did.

And yes, clickers are button mashers.
>>
>>323844418
Shut up
>>
What does character action even mean?
>>
They're called character action because you can tell like 50% of the development went into the physical action of the main character and how they control
>>
>>323843728
I like to call them beat 'em ups.
>>
Its hard to call a game like God Hand a hack n slash since its all fist. Character Action does suit it more.

Personally I think they should be called Input Bashers, unless there is a Run and Jumper element to it, then it should be refereed to as a Movement Masher, or a Jump Gunner if it has guns as a feature like Bayo or MGR.
>>
File: 1452408068528.png (13 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
1452408068528.png
13 KB, 333x333
>action game
>sub genre: hack n slash
>sub-sub genre: stylish action/character action

Instead of arguing over a name argue over what definitively separates mere hack and slash from stylish action. What separates God of War from Wonderful 101?
>>
>>323844598

Alright. Enjoy the worthless thread.
>>
They're Beat 'em Up EXTREMEs
>>
>>323844594
We should just homogenize genres then.
If it's exciting, it's an action game.
If it isn't, it's a puzzle game.

Then we can have the ultimate crossover genre game... An action puzzler.
>>
>>323844859

Okay.
>>
>>323844935
What the fuck man, all of your posts except for the first one have been one word shit, contribute something
>>
>>323843728
japanese action games.
>>
File: 1452078215238.jpg (48 KB, 480x470) Image search: [Google]
1452078215238.jpg
48 KB, 480x470
3D Beat 'Em Ups
Technical Action
Character Action

Whatever works.
>>
"Character action" is a horrible nonsensical and non-descriptive name to try to forcibly create an arbitrary distinction between action games certain gaming communities like (DMC, bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden) from ones they don't like (God of War namely) "Japanese action game" might be better since it seems to more accurately fit that trend, but it's still a pretty pointless distinction since Japanese and western action games aren't all that different, certainly not to the extent their respective RPGs are.

Hack and slash would be an ok name if it didn't exclude 3D fist brawling action games with similar mechanics to sword wielding ones, But Diablo and its clones seem to have securely stolen that name for themselves despite the "hacking and slashing" part of those games not really being the main draw nor what makes them distinct from other games.

"Action games" is maybe a little too broad, but it's still the best option anyone's thought of so far.
>>
>>323844709
But honestly, is there anything that ACTUALLY separates GoW from DMC, aside from an unquantified disparity in combat depth?
>>
>>323845604
>Is there anything that ACTUALLY separates GoW from DMC, aside from that one thing that separates them tremendously?

ftfy
>>
>>323845547
>"Character action" is a horrible nonsensical and non-descriptive name
Why?
It's a game where the action revolves mainly on a particular character. It fits like a glove. How is it nonsensical and non-descriptive?
>>
>>323845823
But you can't quantify the exact point it switches over from hack and slash to character action, and they all have the exact same basic qualities one is just made better.
>>
On a semi-related note
people using "fighting games" and "beat em up" interchangebly triggers the fuck out of me
>>
We call them smack and wacks in the UK.
>>
>>323845823
That's stupid though, it's like saying Boogerman and SMB3 are different genres because one is significantly better designed than the other.

>>323846037
Because that is literally any action game.
>>
>>323843728
Character Action seems to be the most accepted term for games where the mechanics feel like you're basically playing a 1 player fighting game.
>>
Ever since DMC1 back in 2001 I've always just called them Action games.
>>
>>323846232
>Because that is literally any action game.
What's an action game? A hack-n-slash?
>>
>>323846361
Shooters are sometimes called action games too
>>
>>323846361
Ok, how is God of War not "a game where the action revolves mainly on a particular character?"
>>
>>323846037
As opposed to group action games?

Is Wonderful 101 a characters action game?
>>
>>323843728
cuhrazy games
>>
I have a Japanese copy of DMC HD Collection and the genre is listed as "Stylish Action". I think that's a pretty good description because the objective of the game is to kill everything in the most stylish way possible for them SSS ranks.
>>
>>323846461
It is. I'm not a guy who argues GoW is not an action game.

>>323846463
You control the "Wonderful 101", it doesn't matter that you control many since you don't control them individually.
>>
Casualized Dark Souls clones
>>
>>323843728

THEY aren't called anything. Ninja Gaiden is an action game, while post-DMC1 DMC games are just style over substance games.
>>
>neofag sjw tier

Character Action

>yahtzee fanwank tier

Spectacle Fighter

>absolute retard tier

Just action lol :^)

>/v/ approved tier

Stylish Action
>>
>>323846490
that is reserved for DMC and Platinums IPs and you know it
>>
Hack n Slash games are third person 3D games focused primarily on melee combat typically with bladed weapons.

Stylish action is a subgenre of hack n slash characterized by:
>a complex combo or scoring system incentivizing variety
>constantly graded performance and an emphasis on getting the highest rank not simply winning
>typically high difficulties with a near superfluous range of difficulty options
>emphasis on general spectacle
>>
>>323846580
Ok then if, 'action game" isn't descriptive enough and "character action" solves that problem, than how isn't Halo a character action game? There's "action" in it and it happens to a particular character, Master Chief, so it must be a character action game!

Adding "character" to action game only adds descriptively that there is a primary character who you the player control, which is like 90% of games so it's a pretty worthless addition.

>>323846769
>Stylish Action
So only games that have a style meter deserve their own genre or is it only games that are sufficiently "stylish" by internet nerd standards?
>>
>>323846704
How is DMC1 any less of a style over substance? The only difference is it has simpler gameplay and is less lighthearted.
>>
>>323847034
Because you don't develop abilities through your character.

You could also argue that Character Action games are inherently melee based. It doesn't need to mention it in the genre, anon.
>>
>>323847034
It's games that have SOME system, perhaps not literally a style system but some in game system, that deliberately incentivizes variety and spectacle for the sake of either score or success.
>>
>>323846769
>faggot tier

(you)
>>
>>323847295
>meme tier

>making a post with (you)
>>
I think there's one thing >we can all agree on. The faggots who keep forcing "character action" need to commit suicide for the sake of the human race.
>>
>>323843728
Jump and Sword games
or Plataform Slashers
>>
>>323844005
so is fighting games and rythim games

so it cant be used
>>
You nigs are wrong.

They're called jump and sword because your character jumps and they use swords to kill stuff.

Fucking board full of retards.
>>
Is Vanquish a Character Action game?
>>
>>323844721
Enjoy your worthless life.
>>
>>323847189
>You could also argue that Character Action games are inherently melee based

Vanquish.
>>
>>323847631
It's a knee slider
>>
>>323847631
Vanquish is a shooter that follows the same general design philosophy of most character action games without actually being part of the genre.

Just like Viewtiful Joe is a platformer which does the same.
>>
>>323847631
It's just a third person shooter. It's "unique" aspects don't differentiate it from other TPS games all that much really.
>>
>>323847631
No it's a cover based shooter idiots hype up because it's Japanese.
>>
blargh
>>
>>323847631
Vanquish is JUST a TPS. That's it.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.