[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doom was meant to be Brutal. Discuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 5
File: brutal doom.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
brutal doom.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
Doom was meant to be Brutal.

Discuss
>>
>playing le oldschool videogames
>in 2016
even with the brutal dlc its still a shitty game
>>
>>323773248
Nah, Brutal Doom is for faggots
>>
>>323773248
Might have been brutal but it was fun. I liked Quake better which was at least as brutal.
>>
>>323773248
yep romero even confirmed it is superior
>>
>>323773405
No one talks like that and I want to bump this thread
>>
doom is shit
>>
>>323773405
>>323773978
>halo was my first fps ever
>>
brutal doom + sunlust
>>
>>323773248
Brutal is only in the name, it's actually casual.

Doom was meant to put you in desperate situations, and make it worse by every second. Focusing so much on different ways to kill enemies is pointless, the real prowess in Doom is the level design, with a proper amount of exploration, backtracking, and countless traps.
>>
>>323774054
Halo will be considered an oldfag game soon.
>>
people hate on this because you can do finishers on enemies and it's immature but the gameplay is actually a fuckload better and more viseral than the original doom save a few minor annoyances
>>
>>323774235
>oldfag
Third gen oldfag.
>>
>>323774287
>there are people younger than Halo posting on this board right now
>>
>>323773405
>old=bad
Can't stand you people
>>
>>323774217
The proper amount of backtracking is none.
>>
I enjoy Brutal Doom, but for some reason, Project Brutality just is more fun to play. Not sure why.
>>
File: 1406571979749.png (66 KB, 198x169) Image search: [Google]
1406571979749.png
66 KB, 198x169
The thing that pisses me off about BD, stolen assets aside, is the fact that it's practically THE face of Doom, and by extension, the Doom modding community nowadays.
When you mention Doom, chances are your friends will instantly mention this and how amazing it is, while ignoring or being completely oblivious to the existence of the other great mods out there.
>>
>>323774542
So it's jealousy? I wasn't aware how shit the Doom community is.
>>
>>323774217
>the real prowess in Doom is the level design

Half of Doom 2's levels were shit. Many Doom 1 levels sucked balls as well.

user wads/mods > anything id did

On a side not, those enemies start to feel very repetitive. They should have made maybe twice the amount that are actually in the game. At least Brutal Doom tries to make the enemies feel more varied by them doing more than just scratch/fireball you to death.
>>
>>323773248
this is my favorite doom mod in a long time. Just put the gore and blood on max and dual wield everywhere. sick mod
>>
Doom 64 is best Doom.
>>
>>323774640
>I wouldn't know good level design if it bit me on the ass
Yes we can see that.
>>
>>323773771
Really?
That's badass if that's true.

Remember when John Romero made us his bitch?
>>
>>323774463
>Project Brutality

It looks pretty good but I honestly don't like hearing actual music or the metal these mods play. I prefer to just listen to the original game music. Or at least try to emulate game music.

For most games real music just doesn't fit with the game to me. Unless it is sports, racing or GTA games.
>>
>>323774784
>i care who made a game i enjoy
>>
>>323774542
>while ignoring or being completely oblivious to the existence of the other great mods out there.

Such as?
>>
Just started playing BD + Hell on Earth Starter Pack and its great, except for the bloodstains and broken glass on the screen. Apparently there are finishers, that's dumb as fuck but its completely optional as I haven't performed a single one.

The best thing about it so far is the rebalance of enemies. For example, the cacodemon eats you if you get too close and has an air dash to avoid projectiles, making him a bit more challenging.

On the other hand I'm on the sixth level and I have used the bullet pew pewer and and shotgun for 99% of the attacks, like in the original. It could have used more variety in terms of weapons.

I'm not sure how to feel about aiming down the sights. In most games they give you more accuracy at the cost of speed. That means your normal accuracy is shit, and in order for it to be better your speed has to be shit. But in this case the speed is always good and so is the accuracy so the only I have with it is it reminds me of shitter games, and for some reason I can't stop making the association.
>>
>>323775001
But anon, Project Brutality doesn't add any music. At least not the copy I have. Default Doom music all the way.
>>
>>323775027
nigga that's like if someone rewrote the bible and jesus came down and said "yeah. new one is better."
>>
>>323774784
He did damage control and said it was his marketing guy that made him do it.

>PR: Since we don't have any screenshots of the game I'm going to market the team itself. You know what would be badass, John? An ad with a message "John Romero is about to make you his bitch".
>John Romero: Nah man, no one would like that
>PR: What are you? A chicken?
>John Romero: I WANT THIS AD IN GAME MAGAZINES BY TOMORROW MORNING
>>
>>323775184
yeah.. and? how's that bad?
>>
>>323775056
Reelism
Pirate Doom
GMOTA
Project MSX
Just to name a few.
>>
>>323775281
John Romero shouldn't have been like Marty McFly then.
>>
>>323775070
the brutal doom weapons are actually pretty well balanced. when it gets really difficult you need to use all of them to their fullest. cell weapons are still the best and you use them when you have ammo, rocket launcher is kind of a middle ground, minigun is like a lower-tier superweapon that uses tons of ammo
>>
>>323775408
I like how the ad was a kiss of death for the game and all the butthurt people already gave verdict that the game sucks before it was even out.
>>
>>323774765
>chasms
>good

Yeah you don't know good level design do you? The Silent Cartographer is good level design. In fact it's the best of that series.
>>
>>323774640
>On a side not, those enemies start to feel very repetitive.
After 22 years yeah they do.
>>
>>323775056
I hope you're not serious.

The Alien mods alone fucking blow everything out of the water.
>>
>>323775070
I only use the ads when I am not moving much and want to fire at enemies from a distance. What I like about how BD does ads is it truly is completely optional and never a necessity. Not even once is it ever necessary to use it.

That is iron sights done right.
>>
>>323775640
No it is a flaw of the way the game was made. Brutal Doom actually does things better. For example imps will leap attack you. They also fire fireballs much faster.

Where as in the original all enemies pretty much do the same exact actions. This is why they should have had maybe double the enemy variety as I said before. They could have really used another speedy type enemy like Lost Souls.
>>
It's shit except the gore, which can be satisfying.
>>
>>323776082
22 fucking years have passed anon.

Saying Doom is flawed in the light of modern computer and modding capabilities is ridiculous.
>>
>>323774217
I don't know what game you were playing, but Doom was pretty fucking easy. Back before there were any sourceports and ESRB ratings, myself and many other kids were completing the damn thing on Nightmare with just the keyboard to turn around and aim slooooowly. Because of that slow turning, the way we learned to survive was to play Doom quite tactically, approaching entrances and corners by running against the wall, already facing the opening.

I played Brutal Doom a bit and it is about as difficult for different reasons, with its more reasonable higher difficulties being as challenging as Nightmare on vanilla Doom. While the enemies are more aggressive, you have inherit mouse aiming and more efficient ways to kill them.

Either of them on a difficulty below Nightmare with a mouse is a joke with how easy it is.

Also, map design? The majority of Doom I and II's maps are pretty damn bad with nonsensical layouts, acid moats everywhere and lots of enemies just on the other side of a door.
Of course, they had to get the game out, they didn't have the time to craft maps with a good attention to detail, flow, layout and exploiting engine tricks like most community wads.
>>
>>323776353
Um, you know Doom had horizontal mouselook since the beta?
>>
>>323776302
Plenty of games back then had plenty of enemy variety. Romero was always just a one trick overrated hack pony anon.
>>
File: 1446925337658.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446925337658.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>323773248
Well even the devs confirmed it as a definitive edition. Not much to discuss really.
>>
>>323776442

Not him but...

You're right, id should have focused less on inventing 3d rendering and more on adding arbitrary abilities to enemies.
>>
>>323776442
Visual variety? Not that much, most 3D FPSes at the time had about just as much, whether it's Marathon or Arena.

Doom actually had them behave and fight differently. That was a huge difference at the time.
>>
File: a1024330960_10.jpg (433 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a1024330960_10.jpg
433 KB, 1200x1200
I play on the "classic mode" primarily because I can't stand not having the mouse-look controls in the default game.
>>
>>323773405

I'm not even an old fag but I picked up the doom collection on the steam sale for like $3 and I've been having more fun with brutal doom than I've had with most games of the last 5 years.
>>
>>323774784

He seems like a really good guy actually
>>
>>323773684
Don't see why, 1D aiming is inferior.
>>
>>323776829
>>323776935
Vertical mouselook is a feature of (G)ZDoom, not a Brutal feature. You know that, r-right?
>>
>>323776436

most people didn't have mouses in the DOS days friend
>>
>Mention Doom to a friend
>"Oh yeah, Brutal Doom is such a fucking amazing mod, I look forward to the next version. I'm not a big fan of the original games though."
>>
>>323776353
>lots of enemies just on the other side of a door
Either you have a terrible memory, you never played it, or you're lying, because about every single level has at least one trap where you're baited into picking up some armor/weapon/healthpack which triggers doors on all sides of the room with enemies behind.

Those kinds of things are precisely what made Doom's level design shine.
>>
I like Brutal Doom just because I love the sound the shotgun makes in that mod.
>>
>>323777086
So you only hate it because it's popular?
>>
>>323777086
I feel you.
I wish Hideous Destructor was half as famous a Brutal.
>>
>>323777152
I like it because the GoreTec is pretty cool.
>>
>>323777086
I'm kind of in the same boat as your friend. I have a lot of respect for DOOM for what it did for games back when it came out, but things like no vertical aiming make it feel very outdated to me.
>>
>>323777043
>DOOM release
>DOS days

Right. Windows 3.11 released mere months ago, and everyone already had a mouse for Windows 1.0 and other DOS-based software using it.
>>
>>323775304
shitty minigame mod
out of context pirate mod
really bad hexen add on
Crysis look alike mod that isn't even finished.
>>
I fucking love it
gonna fire it up today, thanks for reminding op
>>
>>323777178
People tend to hate it because it is so radically different from the original, and people playing Brutal DOOM really have no interest in what DOOM is at its core.

It's like saying you like Portal and everybody going "muh cake" when most have not even played the game. It's embarassing, and people hate embarassing situations.

This thread is embarassing.
>>
I was never a fan of Brutal Doom, however I always played with vertical aiming

I've recently began playing Doom simply using mouselook for horizontal aiming only, and I have to say it's honestly not that bad, the game is still very fun
>>
>>323777348
>because it is so radically different from the original, and people playing Brutal DOOM really have no interest in what DOOM is at its core.

I've played both, and I don't see what's so different between the two.
>>
>>323777385
Brutal Doom doesn't add vertical aiming senpai.
>>
>>323773405
>people actually bit this bait.
I'm kinda surprised.
>>
Brutal DooM is one of the most overrated things on the planet
>>
>>323777428
>I've played both, and I don't see what's so different between the two.
Why do some people like Brutal DOOM more then?
>>
>>323777348
That's not true though, you fucking sperglord.

It's not like Brutal Doom removes the fucking levels or anything or alters the gameplay to the point where it isn't fast or you don't have to dodge.

Jesus Christ, I fucking grew up with Doom and Quake and I can enjoy Brutal Doom for offering a few more bells and whistles and detail, but you fucking pvre faggots are horrible. You are what makes threads like this embarrassing.
>>
Only thing I don't like about Brutal Doom is the reloading features which can be turned off but why the hell were they added in the first place?

When did doom ever need some gun realism added like iron sights?
>>
>>323777503
True.
>>323777521
There is more feedback to the action and weapons feel more satisfying. The core gameplay is the exact same, and the levels are unchanged, so it's not as different as you faggots are making it out to be, it's just more feedback and different weapon skins, plus, nothing is stopping you from just using the default weapons.
>>
>>323777446
Anon, I'm aware that mouselook was introduced by sourceports. I didn't mention once in my post that Brutal Doom added veritcal aiming. In fact, I don't play Brutal Doom, so how would I know that anyway?!

I play Armageddon on Zandronum nigga, invasion has always been my shit
>>
>>323777607
You can turn those off though, not to mention that it doesn't slow you down, so what's the issue?
>>
>>323777687
Just odd how it ever even needed. I mean the whole point of the mod is to make all deaths so over the top and gory and that somewhere in the mix SergeantMarkIV thought "it needs reloading and ADS".

Whatever, each new version is better than the last.
>>
>>323777205
A proper name is half of the success. Brutal Doom is simple and straight to the point. It tells you everything about the mod just with the title itself, while Hideous Destructor sounds like a metal band.
>>
>>323776353
>Of course, they had to get the game out, they didn't have the time to craft maps with a good attention to detail, flow, layout and exploiting engine tricks like most community wads.
this is such a hilarious thing to say. You're looking at the game like it was made right now. It was one of the first real '3D' games ever made. Maps couldn't have the detail of community wads because computers literally couldn't run it. Infact the original map format couldn't even take the amount of sectors used in current community wads. There was no book of good FPS level design practises because it was the first fps (and dont say shit like wolf3d with its 2d grid counts) considering all this the level design is pretty good, especially the romero levels like episode 1.
>>
>>323777785
Eh, I like the shotgun reload, that nice KSH-CHIK before kicking in the door is hella satisfying
>>
Anyone here play MM8BDM? I was incredibly hyped when it came out a few years back
>>
>>323777607
reloading makes the game more tactical. really not sure how it's a bad thing, like it makes the game slower or something? brutal doom plays way faster than vanilla doom anyway. same thing with ironsights really, it adds tactical variety although you rarely even use the ironsights as it's only on two weapons
>>
>>323777985
As a BD fan, I will tell you to fuck off.

DOOM doesn't need tactical gameplay, it's pure and fast, dodging and aiming, that's it. The kick is a nice addition, the reloading is pointless, the iron sights too.
>>
>>323777528
You should play the original games some time.
>>
>>323777985
Hideous Destructor does the tactical thing better though.
>>
>>323778142

Agreed, he's a retard.
>>
>>323777619
>The core gameplay is the exact same
There are so many differences I don't even know where to start.

Now sure nothing stops you from playing the classic way, but then what's the point of Brutal DOOM in the first place?

It's different clearly, and in more ways than just visual and audio cues.
>>
>>323778117
doom has always been a tactical game. it's not a bullet hell shooter, you're in large maze-like levels with loads of traps, keys, sometimes even puzzles. you have resources to manage and terrain to exploit. acting like it's a dumb pure action game is just wrong
>>
>>323778153
tactical doesn't mean a stupid realistic military theme it means gameplay tactics you have to use while playing the game
>>
>>323778142
>>323778179
Retards.
>>
>>323773248

Comparing Doom to Brutal Doom is like comparing Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 3. Some things were fixed, some good things were added, but there's also a hefty heap of bullshit.
>>
>>323778203
>what's the point of Brutal DOOM in the first place
Better feedback.
>>
>Brutal DOOM is better!!
>well I don't like it, it's too different from the original
>but it's the same thing!!

Great argument guys.
>>
>>323773771
>Romero who uses Doomsday
Don't care, his opinion is instantly invalidated on that fact alone.
>>
Doom was meant to be fast, this 'brutal' meme has to stop.

There is nothing Brutal Doom does that Project MSX doesn't do better. There's nothing Brutal Doom can offer which isn't available in countless other wads.

The biggest reason people should be wary of playing Brutal Doom is the imbalanced weapons. Some of ones in BD are just crutches that carry people through the game.

That said, it's still a fun timewaster.
>>
>>323778738
>Doom was meant to be fast, this 'brutal' meme has to stop.
But BD is faster than normal Doom.
>>
Good thing BD shitters don't shit up /doom/
>>
File: glass wall.jpg (52 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
glass wall.jpg
52 KB, 1024x614
>>323774634
in fact the creator of brutal doom is banned on most doom modding boards
>>
>>323774376
But that's wrong. That kind of thinking leads to linear hallway levels.

>tfw fucking DOOM requires more thinking than most games today.
>>
>>323779042
If you don't separate authors and their works everything becomes shit. Everything.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.