[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /v/, which is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: DQ vs FF.png (346 KB, 1057x393) Image search: [Google]
DQ vs FF.png
346 KB, 1057x393
So, /v/, which is better?
>>
Final Fantasy as it tried to be different with each entry.

DQ is just the same shit over and over again.
>>
FF

DQ is Korean mmo tier grinding bullshit for autistic japs
>>
Persona.
>>
DQ of course.
>>
DQ.

FF is incredibly hit or miss, and the last 4 have been all misses.

If you like 1 DQ, you pretty much like them all. Easier to get more of the same.

DQ's music is complete garbage though. Anyone who would prefer that low key basic shit compared to Nobuo's glorious soundtracks are deaf or stupid.
>>
DQ, especially nowadays.

>There are retards who think a series like Final Fantasy shedding its roots is a good thing.
>>
>>323761168
Uematsu has to be one of the most overrated composers in gaming history. Sorry that you have shit taste and can't appreciate Sugiyama's music.
>>
DQ.
Final Fantasy is a joke.
>>
File: atr.jpg (108 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
atr.jpg
108 KB, 1024x512
Hipsters will say DQ.

But everyone knows it's FF.
>>
DQ, no contest.
>>
>>323761284
>Uematsu has to be one of the most overrated composers in gaming history
You know what? I agree with you on that. My ex loved everything he shit out was stand-alone god tier. Which I disagree with. But IN GAME, his tracks are amazing.

Sugiyama hasn't made a new tune in centuries, and has like, 2 tracks that rise above meh tier.
>>
Fuck off David
DQ
>>
Classic FF > DQ > Modern FF
>>
DQ games are consistent so if you like DQ games congratulations DQ is now a good series
FF on the other hand has their fanbase split into like 6 different parts, and the fact that there are people who dickride XIII is just mindboggling
>>
The series that gave Level-5 a game.
>>
both are shit, but if if I have to choose one, then DQ for it's classic turn based combat. ATB shit has litteraly no excuse for it's existence
>>
>>323760725
The reason FF was so popular in the west is because it's more cRPG-ish compared to Garbage Quest. Seriously. Think about the multi-classing systems in the older FF's and how every iteration of the series kept putting in different game mechanics. Hell, one of the games even had a Vancian-ish magic. AND Bethesda outright copied the level-what-you-use skill system from FF2.
>>
>>323761836
Out of curiosity, what ISN'T shit to you?
>>
Dragon Quest.
>>
>>323760725
FF is better in every single conceivable way.
>>
>>323763743
even consistency?
>>
>>323761192
The entire point of FF is change and that is exactly why its well loved to begin with, because it's not a fucking rehash fest while each entry still keeps ties to its origins, and especially XV is more in line with the classic FFs in terms of lore, design, setting and story than most recent FFs have been
>>
>>323763801
Yes because it is consistently highly polished and consistently follows through the main point of FF which is to change with each entry.

FF is the most ambitious JRPG series in existence, DQ lacks ambition all together.
>>
>>323764348
If you consistently polish a row of turds, you still have a row of shiny turds. DQ may not be ambitious, but why fix what ain't broken?
>>
Dragon Quest is the jrpg perfected

Final Fantasy is weaboo shit made to sell belts to dumb teenagers
>>
>>323760725
I'd rather have the potential for an amazing game than consistent mediocrity.
>>
>tfw literal tears down my face when reaching the final boss of DQIII
Fucking magical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpfvWwv_QtY
>>
>>323764348
so what you are saying is that you would rather have the "ambitious" awfulness FF XIII than the "safe" and "fun" DQ 9?
Also polish is a lot more than just graphics, polish is gameplay, polish is story, polish is what separates a finished project from one thrown out.
and so I'd say DQ is more polished than FF anyday.
>>
>>323764473
DQ is a turd, sometimes you find a turd with some half digested stomach acid, it is always going to be this

FF is delicious varied flavors of ice cream, the icecream are all of a high quality but with varied flavors, some might not like one flavor but they can like another.
>>
>>323764639
FF9 is not fun or safe, it was trashed in Japan and in the west almost as much as FF13 was

FF13 at least has redeemable aspects with its visuals, with its music, with its environments, with the CGI visuals, DQ9 has nothing redeemable about it

DQ9 had shit gameplay, DQ9 had no real characters even in the party, DQ9 had no polish at all

DQ9 has never once been more polished than FF, the production qualities on FF alone make DQ look like a fucking joke
>>
>>323764853
Literally the most unapt analogy I've ever seen on all of 4chan.

DQ is vanilla ice cream

FF is someone in the kitchen throwing random shit in a pot and hoping it comes out alright. With very few successes.

Everyone can enjoy vanilla ice cream.
>>
File: 1356837076744.gif (278 KB, 239x277) Image search: [Google]
1356837076744.gif
278 KB, 239x277
>>323764853
>the icecream are all of a high quality but with varied flavors, some might not like one flavor but they can like another.
>all of high quality
>all high quality
>quality

>Phone game quality
>XII quality

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>323765001
>FF9
DQ9*
>>
>>323765079
It's 100% accurate.

DQ is the same shit over and over and sometimes you find some undigested food in that shit but its always the same shit

FF is different flavours of high quality icecream, if you don't like one flavour you will always try and like another.
>>
>>323765093
XII has the highest production values out of any PS2 game and looks better than many 8th gen games too

"phone games"? Sorry but DQ also gets shitty phone games so what the fuck is your point? Those aren't real FF or DQ games either.
>>
>>323765001
>(DQ9) is not fun or safe, it was trashed in Japan and in the west almost as much as FF13 was

nigga what
[citation needed]
>>
>>323765001
>FF13 at least has redeemable aspects with its visuals, with its music, with its environments, with the CGI visuals,
All of which will wildly be considered garbage and quickly forgotten once the decade rolls over.

>DQ9 has nothing redeemable about it
Total horseshit. I've never heard anything negative about it in the recent years. All of the trashing at the beginning was the 11s getting pissy that their new game was exclusive to handheld and not on console, which was retarded because the handheld ports usually sell more anyways.
>>
>>323764503
>Final Fantasy is weaboo shit made to sell belts to dumb teenagers
how many fucking Final Fantasy games did your dumb piece of shit ass even play?
>>
>>323762402
>The reason FF was so popular in the west is because it's more cRPG-ish compared to Garbage Quest. Seriously. Think about the multi-classing systems in the older FF
There was no multi-classing in FF1, 4 or 6
>>
>All this shitposting
>>
>>323765324
People hated that the characters were all no character in the party, just blank slates, they hated that the story and charters were so weak and that it just felt like an MMO progression in a single player game, it got trashed in reviews in Japan and is of of the least liked DQs in the west
>>
>>323765379
You must be new to /v/, what board did you come from?
>>
File: 16038_6677.jpg (2 MB, 4245x3000) Image search: [Google]
16038_6677.jpg
2 MB, 4245x3000
>>323760725
Outta the fucking way
SaGa series coming through
>>
>>323765443
>Still no citation
So you're pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
>>323765443
again citations nigga, i need links because what Im looking at is japan throwing out 10s like they always do for both of these series
>>
>>323765325
>All of which will wildly be considered garbage and quickly forgotten once the decade rolls over

We've already reached a point in visuals for CGI that only has iterative minor improvements over what we have today for game CG

> I've never heard anything negative about it in the recent years.
Then you are full of shit because DQ9 is probably the most hated DQ game in existence, they trashed it because the charcters had no personalities and were all blank slates with no importance to anything, that the story had nothing to do with the party members and that it was structured like a single player MMO

Look at FF6 it is still one of the best 2D games ever made both in visuals and the game itself, meanwhile DQ looks nowhere near as good even in 2D
>>
both are shit, JRPGs are shit. Japanese is shit. Stop the filthy weabooism plz.
>>
>>323765512
I could never get into this series because the setting makes no fucking sense. On town you're in standard fantasy stuff, then the other town has robots and neon lights and shit, suddenly you're in space, and everyone acts like it's fucking normal.
>>
>>323765547
This shit is so much a widespread fact the fact that you actually think this is made up just goes to show how new to DQ you even are.

>>323765589
Look at 2ch threads, look at review scores
>>
>>323765443
You can go right the fuck off with that shit. DQIX isn't the best DQ game but it's still a great one. You just have shit taste.
>>
>>323765547
not him but I tried DQ9 to be my gateway into the DQ franchise and I absolutely hated it
Terrible story and ending, class system was extremely grindy for a 9th installment of hte franchise. But worse of all was the incompetense of magic. As mages and sage alike are outclassed by most physical classes
Well to say I completely hated it is an overstatement but I just wanted more. I loved the classical rg feeling it had, and the class/vocation system was alright and I liked that characters had a weapon experience system to go along with it
But I was left wanting more
>>
>>323765743
No it isn't, its one of the worst DQs ever made, DQ9 is the FF2 of DQs
>>
>>323765709
isn't it great? I like absurdism like that
>>
>>323765741
>This shit is so much a widespread fact the fact that you actually think this is made up just goes to show how new to DQ you even are.
I-I dont need citations guys everyone knows this
>>323765741
>Look at 2ch threads, look at review scores
look at these chan posts that agree with me, not the ones that will defend it though fuck those guys

and I am looking at review scores and what Im seeing looks on average better than XII
>>
>>323765829
>one of the worst DQs
Even if it was the worst, it'd still be good.
Can't say the same for FF.
>>
>>323765939
They're obviously pulling shit out their asses.
The Masayuki Map craze alone shows it was well-received.
>>
>>323760725
FF.
FF1 is still my favorite FF as well.
>>
>>323761401
Everyone will day DQ but the faggots.
>>
>>323761401
Underage faggot detected
>>
File: I am.png (187 KB, 1318x389) Image search: [Google]
I am.png
187 KB, 1318x389
>l-look at the reviews, everyone hates DQ 9 guys!
>>
>>323766551
reviews don't mean shit against fan reception and I have seen threads where DQ fans dislike 9
>>
Dragon Quest is of generally higher quality than Final Fantasy, but that's because it's uninspired gruel aimed at soulless Japs. There's no room to go wrong.

Final Fantasy is less consistent, but even the bad ones are generally more interesting than any Dragon Quest game. I'll take Final Fantasy VIII over Dragon Quest VIII any day, and I don't like FFVIII.

Megaten is the supreme JRPG franchise anyway.
>>
>>323765819
I mean seriously, does magic ever play a better role in other DQ games
>>
>>323765819
Offensive magic is weak in most DQ games. It's mostly used to target multiple enemies. Aside from that you'll use mostly heals and buffs.
>>
>>323766695
>Megaten is the supreme JRPG franchise anyway.
I love Megaten but to call it supreme is an overstatement. It's up there though.
I wish we got a successor to Digital Devil Saga
>>
>>323766846
The amount of diversity within the franchise coupled with the generally high quality is pretty impressive. The only bad games are the ones made twenty years ago and that never got localized and have been forgotten even in Japan.
>>
>>323760725
Final Majesty
>>
Final Fantasy as a whole for me, even though my favorite square game is DQ V, I just feel like FF lore is more richer and vibrant.
>>
File: XV highway battle.webm (3 MB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
XV highway battle.webm
3 MB, 600x336
>>323761401
this basically
>>
>>323766950
>with the generally high quality
Come on now.
I love megatens, but ATLUS re-using assets and only dumb-down the quality of both visuals and gameplay with every new entry of the franchise. Persona 5 is the only breath of fresh air in a long-long time.
>>
>>323766551
>bringing up a black ship of FF franchise.
>>
>>323760841
this. DQ takes the term rehash as a personal challenge.
>>
>>323768108
have you been reading the thread?
>>
>>323767568
>DQV
>Square game
Fuck off and die underage.
>>
>>323760725
I prefer DQ, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>323766772
DQ 1 has a lot of strategic use of it's spells. DQ follows along closer with the D&D model though. In D&D, rather than your spells being the "Melee for wizards!" type shit they have going on of DPS, it's more about crowd control. Cause in D&D, especially basic and 1e which through the long chain of history DQ is sorta based on, you could be level 10, but a crowd of 20 goblins could still fucking ruin your day. Which is where the wizard comes in. His fireball may rarely do more than 30 damage which isn't even enough to get Fighter-senpai to notice him, but it will murder the fuck out of those goblins that were about to wreck your shit.

The only real problem with that in DQ is that XP is so forgiving nowadays that you rarely need to bother with it cause even your mages start doing some decept melee attacks later on.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.