[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 16
File: TalosCat.jpg (117 KB, 1080x685) Image search: [Google]
TalosCat.jpg
117 KB, 1080x685
Thoughts?
>>
Good game
>>
Shit game
>>
>>323725147
Pretentious cat
>>
A game
>>
>>323725147
Put some effort into the thread you fucking scum.
>>
It's alright
>>
Good game. Honestly it is one of my favorite interesting games. The dynamic between you, Elohim, and Milton is very neat. As well, despite the fact you never encounter most of them, a feeling of closeness to the other runners.
>>
pretentious indie shit
>>
>>323725147
Pretentious indie tumblr meme feels pay to win youtuber bait game
>>
Great game
>>
It's decent. Some puzzles were fun and I liked the environments but it got a little bit boring near the end. The story is also pretty pretentious, though it's not too important. Certainly worth the $10 in value I traded for it.
>>
File: 1439407725479.jpg (22 KB, 265x259) Image search: [Google]
1439407725479.jpg
22 KB, 265x259
Baby's first puzzle game
>>
shitty portal ripoff with shitty themes. "b-but robots can be sentient like ppl guys!" says the autist with no comprehension of computer science or neuroscience.
>>
File: 1409404035295.jpg (17 KB, 260x373) Image search: [Google]
1409404035295.jpg
17 KB, 260x373
Stupid shit
>>
Its good. Got it during the sale
>>
Crashes my video drivers after several minutes of playing it
>>
Indie shit
>>
All of you are fucking plebs
>>
>>323725147
Pretty good.

Only fact I dislike is all the pointless, tangential, inconsequential optional text they throw at you.

If it was chapters in several books it could be ok, but as it stand is just lazy.

The interactions with terminal dude are cool though.

But yeah, its puzzles first and foremost. And its not dumbed down for console friends like portal 2
>>
CroTeam employee here!

I, uh, haven't played it.

But I hear it's really good and you should spend money on it. Sweet delicious money.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/257510/

Also, have you played Serious Sam? You should check out Serious Sam's HD remakes of the First and Second encounter
http://store.steampowered.com/app/41000/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/41014/

Or if you're oldschool (or just have a toaster), you can try the originals:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227780/
(comes with First and Second encounter, non-HD)
>>
It's a good game, though I doubt most people on /v/ would like this genre
>>
>>323725147
I really liked most of it, however many of the later puzzles get really boring and take forever to set up.
>>
>>323726687
I like SpaceChem and Prelogate.

Does Talos Principle run on WinXP?
>>
Puzzles are okay, but I can't imagine how any of the text stuff would be interesting to anyone old enough to have read actual philosophy.
>>
>>323726724
Surprisingly enough it is listed as a minimum requirement.

But why the fuck would you still use windows XP
>>323726635
Proov cunt
>>
>>323726635
>I, uh, haven't played it.
Then you'll feel right at home here. Half of the people in this thread haven't played it either.
>>
>>323727116
Because why would I bother upgrading when I have WinXP?
>>
>>323727236
Because it is outdated, unsupported and insecure?

If you want something lightweight just get Lubuntu or Debian which are modern at least
>>
>>323725918
They didn't write the backstory around some scientists programming some sentience. They made it some computer-based evolution type shit, like boxcar 2d with a focus on thought instead of purely physical problem solving.

Fuck knows how long the system's been working at it, either.
>>
The best bits are the dialogue with Milton the Library Assistant.

Puzzles are good, but start to drag out.

Endings are not great, especially since the best ending doesn't require the most effort - and there wasn't really a big twist since the foreshadowing was too blatant.

You know what the best is? EL0 is the partion and HIM is the name of the management software.
>>
I enjoyed it, there are some fucking difficult puzzles in the latter half of the game (getting all the gold stars without a guide is a BITCH), the philosophy themes were pretty simplistic but interesting enough, having the debates with the computer system was neat. Not sure if it's worth it at list-price, but 25-50% off, definitely
>>
Looks cool but I wouldn't pay that price for it (on Steam)
>>
>>323727236
Because XP is deprecated vulnerable shit compared to 7 or 8.1
>>
>>323727759
Talos Principle was not built on its twist. There's no twist there. Just accomplish your duty, or follow what Elohim expect from you.

>In the beginning were the words, and the words made the world. I am the words. You can't advance forward in an absence of space. Repeat.

It is clearly my GOTY 2014
>>
Got tired of easter eggs halfway through.
>>
Got bored
>>
Meh
>>
>>323728410
This. If you're reading into it like there's a twist, you're looking at it wrong. The point was absolutely the opposite if anything. You digest all the info the game dumps on you then leave it to you to make the informed choice based on said info. The discussions with Milton really are the highlight.

>Frogs are people too.

>>323727759
Though I do agree, the layout of ending could have been better.
>>
personal GOTY 2014

You shouldn't make Talos threads this early OP, or you'll be riddled with shitposters, wait until much later next time.
>>
>>323727480
>Fuck knows how long the system's been working at it
It would have ended a lot sooner if ELOHIM hadn't been messing with the results trying to preserve his own existence
>>
>>323725147
Goty 2014
>>
>>323728410
The closest thing it has to a twist is that "eternal life" means starting all over from the beginning

Anyway it's a really good puzzle game, the philosophy plot can be a little hamfisted if you're not interested in it but can be ignored if you don't mind Milton beeping at you every time you enter an area.

The regular puzzles are great on the whole, but some of the optional stars are bullshit to find and the constant sigil puzzles you have to do to unlock doors are just annoying.
>>
>>323725147
>t-thoughts, /v/?
Play the fucking game and form your opinion, idiot.
>>
>>323728996
>>323728410
There is a twist. The program's overseer wants you to fail because it knows that when an AI succeeds, it will "die".
>>
>>323729253
Ok, I'll also agree with some bonus stars being bullshit. It's one thing when you let me see it from some odd angle and let me figure it out, it's another when I have to spend 45 minutes finding out where it even is because it can only be seen at a 2 degree angle, with your eyes crossed, through 3 sets of iron bars, and 200 feet away.
>>
>>323725918
You clearly comes after thousands of iterations. It is very interesting how the games tie, the death, the legacy and what makes an individual. All in all, the real impact of robots and computing is quite minor. I was blown emotionally with the third area/theme, with the medieval tone accentuating the development of the human history, its myth and its art with the dragon statue/gargoyles. There was a mix between optimism and the depressing aspect of building sand castles. You just come there too late, emprisonned in a constantly dying world.

I loved it. To the point of thinking of having a tattoo to remember my place in this world and how death takes everything away at the end of your life. Something like "Tu fui, ego eris" but no symbols/designs were convincing enough to really do anything.
>>
>>323727804
With the stars, notice you start to think not only of puzzle solutions, but how you afterwards carry the lasers, boxes and fans around to get them out of the puzzle?

I had problems with three Stars:
one that required bouncing a laser via three different completed puzzles - which I fell for the red herring solution,

one invisible laser anchor one on the bloody sphinx and pyramid, another similar one that needed you to look at a tree/tower for a high and hidden laser anchor.
>>
>>323729509
I'm aware, my point was if you didn't see that coming an absolute mile away and you read all of Milton's dialogue/listen to the time capsule stuff, then you might be a bit daft.
>>
are puzzles hard as portal 2? bought it last years and never played it
>>
>>323727759
>>323728996
I really like how the last puzzle at the top of the tower was made, it's especially great if you've been paying attention to the little subplot of the other programs' messages on the walls.

It is kind of lame that the hardest ending is also the most boring, though.
>>
>>323729698
The puzzles get much harder than anything in either Portal.
>>
>>323729509
That's not really a twist. That's slowly displayed more and more to you, leading to the overseer directly telling you that HIMself
>>
>>323729710
Oh yeah, totally. If you were reading the other programs' message exchanges it's a pretty big payoff there. Totally enjoyed that bit.
>>
>>323729698
This is the hardest laser/cube/switch type puzzle game I've played.
>>
I just really really hate the puzzles with the timed hologram clone thing. I wish it was nothing but lazors.
>>
>>323725147
beautiful game, great puzzle, nice atmosphere and thoughts
>>
>>323729710
>all the AIs that became Messengers could and should have completed the program
>they didn't because they got bogged down in pointless completionism
>>
How is the Road to Gehenna DLC?
Recently finished this and now I feel empty, will probably get it next time it's on sale.
>>
>>323730018
I really hated those at first too, but they're a lot more bearable after you've done a few of them and figure out how they work. Connectors are definitely the most fun to use, though.
>>
>>323729687
You know what? Milton grants you one of six wishes or something at some point and I picked the one for Library access ... I regretted it because all it did was give me all terminals and audio books, but also removed the audio books from the levels so there wasn't natural progression to the story. Also disabled being able to get the achivements for that stuff, which is minor.
>>
>>323730389
More of the same, really. No stupid carry-plate puzzles, though. Stars are easier to get but the bonus levels are much harder.
>>
>>323725147
At first i thought the game is pretty great.
It looks great, the soundtrack is great and the story is great, especially since i love AI related philosophy.

But jesus the puzzles are ALL designed for a 10 year old, there wasnt a single puzzle that actually required me to think for longer than a few minutes.

Except that one shitty star puzzle with the roman clock, that was the worst kind of puzzle though since it required research instead of logic

But no shit, every single puzzle in the game is easy(that includes all the star puzzles), a few rare ones are medium difficult.
And thats why the last 1/4 of the game felt like a total drag, i didnt think about the puzzles anymore, but rather did a checklist of things to run through them.
>>
>>323730018
Protip, there's an unbound Fast Forward option in the keybinds. Whenever I do a hologram puzzle and need to stand somewhere I just hold FF for a bit to give myself a minute or two to do it.
>>
>>323730319
>>323729710
>Epitaph? What? Wait a second!
>>
>>323730018
Yes, you spend a lot of timing waiting for timers and judging how long it takes you to work with the hologram.

Then when your clone runs off without you it is like "Get back here you fuckin' asshole!"
>>
>>323730526
>Except that one shitty star puzzle with the roman clock

Do you know how to actually solve that one? I just had to look up the answer, it was one of the only things I couldn't figure out.
>>
>>323730438
Anyone know what the other wishes do? I asked for a way to communicate with others, I think that unlocked all the possible messages for painting on walls.
>>
>>323730438
Not always the case believe it or not. I didn't realize he even did that til I read about it. I ended up pissing him off so much to the point where he was caps yelling me to not question him, which ends with you hard locking the end of the convo's without any reward. Honestly, pissing him off was it's own reward.
>>
>>323730629
>Don't make the same mistake I did. Epitaph means that you are dead!

Also, anyone have mates on Steam popping up with messages and as their guides?
>>
>>323730629
>Turns out, epitaph means you're dead
>>
>>323726635
ako si iz Croteama dokaži
>>
>>323730712
I looked it up too and i honestly wouldnt have come to that conclusion.

Its a very counter intuitive and sequence breaking puzzle since its the only puzzle in the whole game that requires you to actually look something up outside of the game, and then there are a few red herings that can confuse you.

Apparently the solution was the time when apollo 11 landed.
>>
>>323731163
>Apparently the solution was the time when apollo 11 landed.

I guess that kind of makes sense? I remember the QR code in that area saying something about an eagle flying or something, was that a quote from the Apollo mission?
>>
>>323726635

you say you're a croteam employee but your shitty self-promotional sense of humor tells me you're a devolver employee
>>
>>323731163
>>323730712
>people had to look it up
fuck i'm old
>>
>Bro Tier
Shepherd
Uriel_Copy
>Complete Tool Tier
1/wFaith
>Tragic Asshole Tier
Samsara
>>
>>323726620
>And its not dumbed down for console friends like portal 2

Dont kid yourself, the difficulty of the puzzles is just as low.

The sigils are all primitive logic puzzles and the star are mostly exploration.
>>
>>323731331
now rank the humans from the logs and archives. I'll help:

>Elder God tier
Alexandra
>>
>>323731331
>play through the whole game, really like Sheep
>somehow miss his last message at the top of the tower
>play through the ending, wonder what happened to Sheep
>pass by that area while screwing around later
>notice the message
>mfw Sheep became The Shepherd and he was the one helping me all along
>>
>>323731163
I struggled with the 'two lovers apart' one where you gotta walk over a bridge of air.

I tried that and died. Then hours later I looked up that was the final star I was missing as STILL died. It took a third attempt to get the right spot where you don't fall to your death.

Getting the alignment off slightly made me think a bridge of air wasn't the solution.
>>
>>323731543
>Getting the alignment off slightly made me think a bridge of air wasn't the solution.

Same shit happened to me, I somehow hit the wrong spot.
>>
>>323731292
It does kind of make sense, but why would they suddenly let you research something for a single puzzle when the rest of the games puzzles is completely logic based?
>>
>final level can be completely entirely solo
>except for one bit where one of the developers spawns to help you finish
>>
>first /v/ loves talos principle
>more than one thread per month occurs
>"shit tumblr reddit meme youtube bait indie trash"
>>
File: 1419783631188.gif (3 MB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1419783631188.gif
3 MB, 220x220
>>323731331
Pretty spot on.

>>323731513
Yessssssssssss

>>323731472
Ha, nahhhh. There's a dozen at least that surpass portals difficulty by every means, a few of the bonus stars that require multiple equipment to be carried outside puzzles trumps anything portal did.
>>
Love it
>>
File: Serious Sam The Text Encounter.jpg (289 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Serious Sam The Text Encounter.jpg
289 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>323731472
>The sigils are all primitive logic puzzles and the star are mostly exploration.
No shit, the hard ones are the puzzles that unlock when you get all the stars and sigils
>>
File: 1418001207909.jpg (11 KB, 236x176) Image search: [Google]
1418001207909.jpg
11 KB, 236x176
>TTP in AGDQ
>Think a speedrun of a puzzle game won't be that interesting
>mfw the speed
Honestly it was a pretty interesting run to watch.
>>
>>323731472
>>323730526
Stop trying to look tough. It gave you no problem, that's cool, nice blog. But that's not the point. If you want difficulty look for Spacechem/Infinifactory/TIS-100.

The main point of Talos Principle was its writing and its atmosphere. There's nothing to brag about just because you found the puzzle easy.
>>
>>323731862
> There's a dozen at least that surpass portals difficulty by every means, a few of the bonus stars that require multiple equipment to be carried outside puzzles trumps anything portal did.

Portal was probably even easier yeah, but i wish the game had a single puzzle that would actually make me think for like 10 minutes.
Instead i just ran through like a spastic and immediately knew what to do in most of them.

And as i already said most of the stars were very obvious too, they were purely exploration based.

>OHH there is a blue laser hole and this level doesnt have a blue laser, better run through all the other levels and look up where you can link a blue laser outside

I still think its a good game dont get me wrong, but the difficulty level is pretty easy.
>>
File: 1451762715938.jpg (48 KB, 464x506) Image search: [Google]
1451762715938.jpg
48 KB, 464x506
>>323730581
>it's real
That would've great to know two playthroughs ago. At least it will make Road to Gehenna a bit less painful.
>>
>>323732460
See
>>323732374

I never said it wasn't 'easy', but the comparison to Portal isn't really fair from a difficulty stand point.
>>
>>323732318
Got a link to that? Sounds neat.
>>
>>323732071
That is neat, didn't notice that one on my play through.

So to have some of the story right, the idea is every player is the same program that has it's memory wiped but somehow is gaining proficiency at puzzles over time to reach sentience?

Each mark on the wall is a previous iteration of you, essentially?

So does that make Samsara and The Shepard also backup versions of you from past that are stored in their state?

Finally, can you find your own wall messages on a second loop?
>>
>>323732374
I dont feel the need to brag on a hunish alp invading outpost.

That was my honest critique of the game, i agree that the story and the atmosphere is great, but the game felt like a drag to me later on, because of the former point about the difficulty.

The audio logs and milton dialogue was pretty dope though.
>>
>>323732782
https://youtu.be/_4vmTYe33F0?t=6m27s
The runner tends to talk a bit fast though.
>>
>>323732948
They all come from the same program initially but I think there are multiple iterations running at any given time. Like they had a group of clones and let them all loose individually, and over time they developed into unique personalities.
>>
>>323732948

>Each mark on the wall is a previous iteration of you, essentially?
>So does that make Samsara and The Shepard also backup versions of you from past that are stored in their state?

No there are subprograms emerging from the constant random number crunching of the simulation. And these personalities emerging gain names. They have a legacy hence the number attached to them after the name on their memo QR codes.
>>
>>323732948
Each time an AI fails, it's saved and a new one is created. They all end up on the Gold Disk in the end but they're distinct personalities up until then.

There are hints that all of the AIs, due to the way computers work, are actually all running at the same time. One of the "past" AIs leaves a message saying a brand new QR code appeared on the wall in front of them out of the blue.

No but you can grab a paint bucket, take it into a puzzle with a recorder, recorder yourself painting a message, then reading your recorded self's messages to you.
>>
>>323733306
Ah that makes more sense.

Of course, I'd forgotten that there are some back and forths on the walls which would be quite bizarre were they written by the same 'person'.

So when you finally win, you are kinda wipin those programs out ehy?
>>
>>323733640
All the past programs are subsumed into your memory. They stopped existing as individuals when they failed and were archived, though.
>>
>>323733640
Oh someone said they all go on the gold disk so that answers that.
>>
>>323733640
>So when you finally win, you are kinda wipin those programs out

I think that's the idea, keep the one that works and throw out the others, but as Milton says in his ending, you were really the same program all along, so there's no real physical difference between him and you. So the others are likely in there somewhere.
>>
>>323733563
>you can grab a paint bucket, take it into a puzzle with a recorder, recorder yourself painting a message, then reading your recorded self's messages to you.
a-are they different from whatever text you selected?
>>
>>323733973
Yes. The basic one is something like "Testing/Test complete" and one of the more advanced ones is "Can't you do this for me?/If I could I wouldn't be here"
>>
>>323733373
Is the version number the same for everyone here? Mine was v99.something but it would be neat to find it counts your deaths and resets.
>>
>the simulation should be stable for a couple hundred years, I mean how long will it really need?
>simulation is falling apart and the archives are degrading by the time it creates you

I wonder just how long ELOHIM had been fucking with it
>>
>>323733058
This is good shit, thanks anon
>>
Jsfjsfjsg
>>
File: 1445272242070.png (80 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1445272242070.png
80 KB, 184x184
>What if I just trap you in a loop until you go insane?
>What makes you think I'd stick around and listen?
>What if I just trap you in a loop until you go insane?

I went from being excited when I saw the eye on the terminals because I was interested in what the computer had to say to being excited when I saw the eye on the terminals because it meant I got to annoy the computer more.
>>
>>323735995
Milton's a dick and deserves worse
>>
There was a story in Talos Principle?
>>
>>323733058
Holy shit.
Now this is a game worthy of speedrunning.
Not some jrpg that takes 5 hours.
>>
File: 2015-03-10_00001.jpg (404 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-10_00001.jpg
404 KB, 1920x1080
>>323735995
>>
>>323729618
It's funny because after you explore virtual ruins, the robot gets to explore real ruins
>>
>>323729621
Do you remember how to get the star on top of the needle in the Egypt area? Forgot what chamber. The star is floating on the tip of the needle and you have to use the fan. I got the laser out to power the fan, but where the fuck do I get the fan from?
>>
File: 35858385838946765.jpg (53 KB, 500x471) Image search: [Google]
35858385838946765.jpg
53 KB, 500x471
>that star world puzzle that seemed easy enough then in the end you jump on the fan and while floating you see you spelled out the puzzle's name with lasers
>>
File: 1430344185287.jpg (26 KB, 150x188) Image search: [Google]
1430344185287.jpg
26 KB, 150x188
>>323738103
>That's what the fan was for

Fuck.
>>
>>323737360
Not him, but

You have to take the fan hidden in the puzzle facing your starting point. You have to get higher with the fan before the room containing the two cubes. If done correctly you should be able to get over the wall on your left and take the fan hidden there.
>>
I'm really really tempted to get the DLC now full price, should I wait for a sale or is it worth it? How long is it generally? Is it the equivalent of like one world's worth of puzzles?
>>
>>323725147
Honestly, my fav puzzle game.
>>
>>323741603
Type in "how long to beat" for it on google. I think it said something about 7 to 8 hours.
>>
File: 1331151376373.png (71 KB, 196x248) Image search: [Google]
1331151376373.png
71 KB, 196x248
>>323725147
fucking great game, past month has been attracting a ton of shitposters though.
>>323725250
>that fucking thread
>>
>>323725147

Well designed puzzle game
time recording puzzle scared me and I haven't finished it yet
>>
Did anyone else here get the milton ending?

I liked milton. He knew his shit and wasn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>323741603
Probably a bit more than one world...but let's just say thereabouts.

The difference is these puzzles are far more difficult though. You really have to think outside the box for every one of them.

So it ends up being pretty goddamn long. Maybe half the 100% completion of the main game.
>>
File: 257510_2015-04-27_00004.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
257510_2015-04-27_00004.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>323738103
I thought I had ended up nigger-rigging a solution until I took that lift.
>>
>>323741603
the gehenna puzzles are hard. how long it takes is on you. its 5 zones (4 plus 1 secret one) and each zone is ~4 puzzles. keep in mind all of them are 'full' puzzles e.g. not tutorial style puzzles that show you how lasers or fans work.
>>
File: 2015-03-10_00005.jpg (541 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-10_00005.jpg
541 KB, 1920x1080
In the third world, when I was hearing this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aheNmVz4AcI

I couldn't not think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtOz7GVxJM . And it not that farfetched considering the theme of the third world and Epitaph.

I've never found any confirmation about this, but considering there's a pretty huge easter egg centered on Pink Floyd, it may be somewhat valid.
>>
File: TalosPrinciple4PinkFloyd1.jpg (21 KB, 592x225) Image search: [Google]
TalosPrinciple4PinkFloyd1.jpg
21 KB, 592x225
>>323743654
Wouldn't surprise me. The floyd easter egg is fairly easy to miss unless you go for the bonus star on the obelisk in whichever B stage that is.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.