[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decided to try the classic xcom but I could really use some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: xcom.jpg (76 KB, 560x350) Image search: [Google]
xcom.jpg
76 KB, 560x350
So I decided to try the classic xcom but I could really use some help since theres really no instructions manual or anything, i'm flying blind here.
Pic related.

So uh, can anyone explain the basics? And what are those 4 colored bars each character has?
>>
>not a manual
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/7760/manuals/x-com%20ufo%20defense%20manual.pdf?t=1447351440

Here, suck a cock.
>>
>>323703508
>http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/7760/manuals/x-com%20ufo%20defense%20manual.pdf?t=1447351440

Green- Time units, you need these to perform any action.
Orange- Energy, 0 energy means you cant move even if you have the time units,
Red- bravery, this one is actually pointless to have on display since nothing you do can affect it, its just a signal of how likely your soldier is to lose moral
purple- morale, if it drops below 50, your soldier may panic, move/shoot on his own (can be a real bugger if its the guy with the rocket launcher sitting in the back of the ship) and you wont be able to use him until he calms down.

Everything else is pretty intuitive, the top middle button is the backpack, you can reload and equip guns from here, also if you stand over a corpse, you can loot it from this screen as well.
>>
>>323705632

Any tips?

I literally cant get past the first mission, everyone dies before I even shoot an alien
>>
>>323706459
Don't use all your time units (TUs, the green bar) each turn. Use half, or less, so that your soldiers can shoot aliens during their turn.
>>
>>323706459

Sell the excess alien weapons you get, its literally where 90% of your income will come. If you try to play with the country's funds, you wont last long.
>>
>>323708740
This. Also research and manufacture lazers and personell armor ASAP. Arm your team with laser rifles immediately and use them until plasma weapons are researched. As soon as laser cannons are available manufacture and sell them 24/7. Consider making a base dedicated to this.

>mfw xcom fends off the aliens but puts untold thousands of alien weapons, laser cannons and explosives into the hands of whatever buyer was available.
>>
File: X-Com 18.jpg (293 KB, 736x904) Image search: [Google]
X-Com 18.jpg
293 KB, 736x904
>>323706459
Move slowly, and do this >>323706638
You can press the red icon where guy is shooting, to make it automatically stop your guy from spending all the points.

There are a lot of good mods around, that will help the gameplay...it is old game.

Anyway, do first missions at day time, sent one guy at front to search for enemy and the rest coming from behind in a line. When you spot one, focus all fire on it.
That should get you through the first mission...also c4 is usefull, or what ever it is called.
>>
File: X-Com.jpg (1000 KB, 675x3644) Image search: [Google]
X-Com.jpg
1000 KB, 675x3644
Oh here is some more to help you.
>>
Is there any reason not to play OpenXcum?
>>
>>323709495

Also,

Start by exiting your team from the craft. Have them crouch by the tires, with their automatic fire button on.

move in groups of 3. end every turn against a wall or cover. Make sure you keep their autofire saved. move very slowly. make sure to fan out and use the line of sight.

This will keep you safe until your first terror mission.
>>
>>323709463

fun fact: first time I played the game, for some reason I had plasma research unlocked before laser, I actually thought for like 5 years that laser was the final tier of weapons because of this.
Also, armor is basically useless, even with the final jetpack armor, soldiers still have like a 95% chance to drop in 1 shot.

OP, remember, if you dont hear them SCREAM, they're not dead (both friend or foe), knocked out aliens can regain conciousness (though they'll be unarmed, dont worry) and friendly soldiers will die in some turns if not treated/revived

Also, I dont know if this was in xcom 1 or if its xcom 2 exclusive, but theres an unmaned tank you can buy which you can take on missions to scout, destroy shit up or even as mobile cover for your troops.

Money will NEVER be a problem if you follow these two advices
>>323708740

>As soon as laser cannons are available manufacture and sell them 24/7. Consider making a base dedicated to this.
>>
inb4 someone says it's hardcore and that casuals need to git gud or some other asinine variant when the game is generally easy as fuck so long as you've figured out the tactics that will work nearly 100% of the time
>>
>>323710728
Both the early xcoms had the tanks, iirc the tanks in 1 were signifigantly cheaper and were great for throwaway units that could wreck shit need be

>rocket tank
>drive around blowing shit up, fuck the civilians I want these buildings gone
it gets even sillier when you get the blaster tanks
>>
File: X-Com 25.png (299 KB, 360x2340) Image search: [Google]
X-Com 25.png
299 KB, 360x2340
>>323709823
Nope, it makes game much, much more better.
Take a look at UFO Extender or XcomUtil...although they could be already outdated, dunno.

>>323710728
It is highly lethal game, but armor is no way useless. Just remember that the chest/front armor is always the strongest, so don't let them shoot at your back.

Also the unmanned tank is in both games.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.