[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when Tim Schafer BTFO /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 19
File: Screenshot_2016-01-12-07-06-40.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-12-07-06-40.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Where were you when Tim Schafer BTFO /v/?
>>
>stupid people don't learn

who knew
>>
>>323667636
Smart that you don't include what it is, so we won't know what the fuck you're talking about?
>>
Tim Schafer never expressed any interest in making a Psychonauts sequel until after a string of failures. He purposely kept it in his pocket as a financial trump card.

Fuck Shafer, maybe he was good when he was surrounded by talent but he's gone George Lucas now that he surrounds himself with his own staff and doesn't have to answer to producers.
>>
If it was two or three years ago that thing would have made ten million dollars, instead it limped over the finish line after he extended the amount of time to donate. I'll settle for it finishing him when it's as shit as the rest of his projects.
>>
>only slightly above its goal

yeah, knowing Mr. Shitface, this games never coming out.
>>
You don't understand OP. We are not wanting this kickstarter to fail, we want Schafer to make this sequel as horribly as he could so that people would realise how lazy and unfaithful he is.

I'd be even glad if Psychonauts 2 comes in one part only, best case scenario Double Fine will delay the development of the game six months between each part.

In other words, don't laugh at it yet, just wait for a few months.
>>
>Tim Schafer
>BTFO /v/

In what way? This piece of shit is gonna be made regardless, it's not like they can't shill a few extra bucks from their own pocket.

Now I'll be waiting for him to be BTFO'd by shit reviews everywhere.
>>
Most of it is probably Notch.
>>
Don't worry, Tim Schafer recently had an AMA on Leddit saying all that stuff about being overbudget was just an exaggeration and he definitely won't do it again.
>>
File: schafer.png (272 KB, 722x575) Image search: [Google]
schafer.png
272 KB, 722x575
Reminder.
>>
I'm glad it got funded. I can't wait.
>>
Why everyone is so sceptical about Tim in this sub? Aside from Spacebase, he did nothing wrong.
>>
File: 1410072908719.png (179 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
1410072908719.png
179 KB, 500x358
>>323667636
>Caring at this point.
I'll wait for the game to actually release.
Can't wait to see those "investors" get ripped off, as expected.
>>
>>323668793
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>323668793
this bait is incredible
>>
File: Eat shit.jpg (497 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Eat shit.jpg
497 KB, 1920x1080
>>323668793
Brutal Legend was subpar piece of garbage that only had any popularity thanks to Jack Black and Kyle Gass while simultaneously killing off any chances of him getting any publisher to ever trust him ever again thanks to his bloated budgets, with subpar sales.
He hasn't made anything good since, fuck if I know, it's all been pretty garbage to bland up to now. The only thing that shined about him was that he was continuing something people thought was dead and realized he has no idea how to make a decent game.
But thankfully this was funded, maybe THIS time he'll do something right.
>>
File: WEEEEEW.png (499 KB, 637x437) Image search: [Google]
WEEEEEW.png
499 KB, 637x437
>>323669058
>Expecting good things from Tim "money bonfire" Schafer
>>
>>323668336
>Don't worry, Tim Schafer recently had an AMA on Leddit saying all that stuff about being overbudget was just an exaggeration and he definitely won't do it again.

Riiight.
>>
File: Tim Schafer.jpg (38 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
Tim Schafer.jpg
38 KB, 500x255
I hope it turns out to be good, I didn't back it but I like the first game.

Gotta separate Tim Schafer the SJW enabler faggot, from the guy who might develop something good.
>>
>>323668369
Not to mention there's a very low amount of backers for 3 million in a such a short timespan.
>>
who is still giving this cuck money
>>
>Every time a kickstarter get funded, /v/ somewhat should be BTFO
Fucking shills.
>>
if you haven't seen the dangerousanalysis video that summarizes why tim is a walking money vacuum i highly suggest you check it out. i'm not gonna link it because people will accuse me of shilling and miss the more important point: this, like his other recent projects, is an absolute fucking scam. the crowdfunding site he got this project funded through is a fake shell to get him and his buddies some boats and coke. most of this money is going right into their pockets.
>>
>Not knowing hes actually un-funded if anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlzEXB_Wgo

>TLDW: When you do the investing route, you can specify as much money as you want and you just get put into a reservation list and not actually have to show any money for it. This is because of change in investment laws and limits with said changes. Also, you have no obligations, per agreement, to pay them while doing the investment route.
>>
Trigger Warning:

I didn't care for the first game
>>
>>323670278
I don't understand the following. A friend bought it as a gift to me and I'd never heard of it so it's not like it got over hyped for me. It's nothing special.
>>
>>323668369
Which is pretty much why Fig exists. So they can fiddle around with extensions however they see fit and get to keep the hosting money so they don't have to give it to Kickstater or IndieGoGo.
>>
File: 1420439141562.gif (959 KB, 299x199) Image search: [Google]
1420439141562.gif
959 KB, 299x199
>>323667636
>btfo
Up to this day I still find this expression more pathetic than any other.
>>
File: Out.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Out.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>323667636
a fool and his money are soon parted
>>
>>323669915
This. The entire website is a front for Schafer to get money without any liability.
>>
>>323670027
That's generally how investments work. The difference though, is that RL investments requires you to be an accredited investor, which means you need to be verified to have a fuckload of money to do investing.

Fig, though, gives this to normies, and both sides pretty much doesn't know how to investments 101
>>
>>323670027
>This video

OH BOY

Not to mention that other video also circulation around about how risky and shitty the entire fig and DoubleFine thing dangerously something something
>>
>>323669516
If SJW Tim walks through this door, he will KILL Independent Tim. A Tim divided against itself cannot stand.
>>
>>323667710
reminder that Double Fine have completely delivered on every kickstarter.
>>
>>323671695
>completely delivered
That's open to debate. I pirated Broken Age, part 1 was good, but 2 had retarded puzzles.
>>
>>323671801
>That's open to debate
is it? If you didn't like broken age that doesn't mean they didn't deliver. Broadly speaking it was considered a good game. But they delivered everything they promised in the kickstarter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I

Friendly reminder to all backers that you've probably been Jewed
>>
>>323667636
I wish that that campaign had tanked and he'd become Punished Tim.
>>
>>323672010
That depends on your definition of "deliver". The game was OK, the ending was bad, but everything surrounding the game was a horrible experience for everyone.
>>
>>323672031
>probably been Jewed
these anti double fine videos are like conspiracy theory videos. about 20 points about why Double Fine is definitely scamming people, except if you look at any in detail they don't make any sense.

>BA cost more than $3.3m to make, so how could they claim they would make it for $400k? SCAM CONFIRMED
Even bothering to mention shit like this blows my mind. When they got more money than they expected, they expanded the scope of the game they were planning to make. They said anyone who wasn't happy could have their money back. Turned out most people were happy with this. Originally the $400k game was going to be made in a few months by a small team in flash.
>>
>>323672293
>but everything surrounding the game was a horrible experience for everyone.
like what? Who's everyone? You mean all the backers?
>>
File: 1452544478748.jpg (84 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
1452544478748.jpg
84 KB, 1000x664
>>323667636
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1658966/000121390015009585/f1a1215_figpublishing.htm#a_006
>We have no operating history, which may make it difficult for you to evaluate the potential success of our business and to assess our future viability.
>We have incurred significant losses since our inception, and we anticipate that such losses will continue to be incurred in the future.
>Our independent registered public accounting firm has expressed in its report on our audited financial statements a substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern.
>>
>>323672309
It seems like you ignored >>323670027
>>
File: 1411932504628.png (166 KB, 343x343) Image search: [Google]
1411932504628.png
166 KB, 343x343
>>323671669
>>
>>323672404
Numerous delays, inflated costs, the game split into 2 parts only to be rushed out. I think I heard somewhere that even Tim is frustrated with all of this.

I'm not saying he's a scam or a bad dev, but he lacks the skills and mindset required to manage the money and expectations from everyone, and that in turn made this a horrible mess. He really should either work for a bigger studio or downsize his works.
>>
>>323672671
Did I? That's fig, that has nothing to do with anything Double Fine did before.

Even with that guys video, I'm not sure what his point is. He's saying maybe they are counting more than $1million of investment from non accredited investors, even though it's not legal to do that. But he's just guessing that, he has no proof. He's also saying how they might not get all the money the think they've raised, because when they ask for it later it might not be available. But that's how kickstarter works too, and you often see raised amounts drop a bit after a kickstarter ends because when they pull in the money from credit cards and shit after the campaign ends, some of them fail. This could be worse for Double Fine, but that's Double Fine's problem to deal with. I don't understand the issue here really. Except a guess that maybe Double Fine and Fig don't know what they are doing, with no proof of any kind.
>>
File: 1307163701007.jpg (22 KB, 448x316) Image search: [Google]
1307163701007.jpg
22 KB, 448x316
>>323667636
>Where were you when Tim Schafer blown the fuck out /v/?

What?
>>
Psychonauts is DF's last bargaining chip. If they fuck it up, and you know they will do so, what else will they have? Brutal Legend shallow RTS wannabe mechanics made the game tolerable at best.

After fucking Psychonauts up, they'll have to close shop.
>>
>>323672760
>Numerous delays
Agreed, but that's not really uncommon for game dev. I guess I find it hard to get salty about that personally. For Portal 2 they build an entire game and completely scrapped it and started over. But in the end they made a great game. The main reason people aren't as angry with Valve about this is because the game was really well received, and they didn't talk about Portal 2 until it was nearly ready to release.

>inflated costs
This is also not uncommon. Again, portal 2 and countless others. The inflated costs didn't affect backers at all, and they paid everything else out of their own pocket. Find it hard to fault them here when it's their own money. They could have chosen to release a smaller game instead and not spent all the profit they made on other games.

> the game split into 2 parts only to be rushed out
Yeah, that sucked in fairness. But in the end they released the complete game.

>but he lacks the skills and mindset required to manage the money and expectations from everyone
I don't understand why people claim this. He manages money quite well, he just likes to spend what he has. Psychonauts, Brutal Legend and Broken Age all made money. Going over budget is neither uncommon or an issue so long as you can make it back. There's a reason publishers still work with him.
>>
>>323673905
>After fucking Psychonauts up, they'll have to close shop.
How do you think they've been in business up to now? You think Psychonauts was the only game they made money off?
>>
I gave that fat fuck money before.

Never again.
>>
>>323674021
No, but it was the one that got the most notoriety. BL was liked because it had a cool world and tons of known figures appearing on it, bringing those rockstars to appear in a new game would be costy as fuck, and the gameplay was subpar.

I doubt there's much interest in a sequel to Costume Quest, Stacking or Iron Brigade. Basically, Psychonauts was Double Fine's magnum opus, after they screw it up they will run out of material to scam people with.
>>
File: 1445870770228.gif (2 MB, 440x322) Image search: [Google]
1445870770228.gif
2 MB, 440x322
>>323667636
You know what bothers me the most?
He actually uses the 3.3 memenumber for the "needed" money for this game. It's like a joke.
>Hi guys i need 3.3!!! million for my game xD
>LOL HERE IT IS LMAO
He could do the game with half the budget and he wont add anything.
>>
>>323673353
only investors are not actually required to provide any financial data yet. I'm not sure how that is comparable to blocking credit or debit cards. It's equal to me telling you I'll give you $500 tomorrow, mabye, perhaps.
>>
>>323667636

yeah, he will stick with his crowdfounding thing until the end of days because he his great old one.
>>
>>323674269
>I doubt there's much interest in a sequel to Costume Quest
You'll be surprised to know then that they already released one.

>after they screw it up they will run out of material to scam people with.
Have you ever noticed that Double Fine don't make many sequels? They make a lot of original titles, and that strategy has served them well for 15 years. Personally Headlander looks pretty sweet to me, and I'll most likely buy it if the reviews aren't shitty.
>>
>>323674471
>It's equal to me telling you I'll give you $500 tomorrow, maybe, perhaps.
Which is how credit cards on kickstarter work too. Simply providing credit card info doesn't prove you can provide the money you promised. That will only happen when the payment is processed after the campaign.

I agree, the investment thing is sketchier. But that will be on their back. I guess we'll know soon enough how that all works out for them.
>>
>>323674639
After they have destroyed their own best product, they'll have crushed the last hope people had for their company.
>>
>>323674867
Not quite equal, after a kickstarter is finished the money will be taken from the provided credit card.

However, after this Fig run is finished nothing will be taken from anyone until the new law is in effect, at which point Fig will (presumably) politely ask you to provide your payment information if you're still willing to invest in the project.
>>
File: 1291217977644.jpg (65 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
1291217977644.jpg
65 KB, 396x594
>>323674393
>Why, yes. I am in a chamber orchestra, my dear.
>I play percussion.
>>
>>323675320
>they'll have crushed the last hope people had for their company.
They don't need hope. They already do steady business. If psychonauts 2 bombs, it will be a bummer. But they'll just go back to doing what they do now.

>nothing will be taken from anyone until the new law is in effect
It's already in effect though. But the guy in the video is suggesting fig need to get approval from SEC first before the can take the money. Yeah, it's different alright, but not a million miles apart. He's also assuming a few things about how accepting the money works with fig. They may know some things about SEC that he doesn't, like they may know they are being approved very soon, or maybe already have it.
>>
Looks like they'll make $4m easy
>>
>>323675746
>they already do steady business
They have been begging for money so they can make game for years by now, that doesn't sound steady. It's true some people are dumb and will fund their games, but their reputation for old games can only go so far.
>>
>>323676514
>They have been begging for money so they can make game for years by now
For 2 games, 3 counting psychonauts 2. All of those were kickstarted because they couldn't find publishers interested in the idea, but figured a lot of people might enjoy the game regardless, so tried kickstarter. It's not exactly begging, since it's just a glorified way of selling preorders. Absolutely everything else they've made has either been self funded or funded by publishers. That's 21 non crowd funded games vs 3 crowd funded ones.

>but their reputation for old games can only go so far.
Their reputation for new games is fine, that's why they make money.
>>
>>323668369
I don't see the problem with it, ending on a Friday is a bad idea people might not get paid till then and pushing it back to a Tuesday gives them the entire weekend plus a couple of days to pitch in.
>>
>>323676940
>Their reputation for new games is fine, that's why they make money
Is that why their last project was "let's make a game like the old point and click ones", and now their next project is "let me make a sequel to a 11 years old game"? They're living in past glory.

Spacebase was a mess, and Broken Age was okay at best.
>>
>>323667636
Why does this sub hate Tim again? He's made some very good games like Psychonauts
>>
>>323667636
it has no brown woman, why /v/ should care??

i am sure /v only take shit when brown anita-like character unveiled
>>
>>323680094
Kill yourself.
>>
>>323680615
People like you are why my wife's son is forbidden from browsing this sub despite it being worksafe
>>
>>323680094
>>This sub
Here's the reply you were fishing for, faggot.
>>
>>323680729
Serious question, do you think what you're doing is funny?
>>
>Where were you when Tim Schafer scammed another bunch of idiots?
Fixed.
>>
what will Tim do once his inept piece of shit ass is out of a company because he ran out of people to scam and money to burn?

I bet he will become a paid SJW shill in some game website or so
>>
>>323672010
That spaceship something was a shitty excuse of a game m8
>>
File: 007810.png (50 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
007810.png
50 KB, 421x248
>>323680393
why is it called indivisible when i can still see it?
>>
>>323679837
>Is that why their last project was "let's make a game like the old point and click ones", and now their next project is "let me make a sequel to a 11 years old game"
They've made lots of games between those. Massive Chalice, Costume Quest 2, hack n' Slash. Headlander will be out before Psychonauts 2 also.

>Spacebase was a mess
agreed, that's the only big screw up they made i can think of.

>Broken Age was okay at best.
Okay games are bad now? Broken Age made money. We're talking about Double Fine's prospects as a company.
>>
>>323667636
I'd be surprised if Tim even got 3/4 of the money people pledged. Unlike kickstarter fig doesn't take your money right away, you simply sign in with your Facebook and select a how much you want to back when the money collection comes along. You aren't even obligated to pay, anyone could pledge thousands of dollars and not give double find a cent down the road
>>
>>323683194
Any game not headed by Mr shitface has a good chance of being a decent game.

Unless crowd fund.
>>
>>323668369
It's a site where he literally makes the rules, what did you expect?
>>
File: file.png (154 KB, 303x380) Image search: [Google]
file.png
154 KB, 303x380
>>323668369

reminder that it's technically not funded
>>
>yfw he brings it out on early access
>yfw tim blows all the money away on other shit
>yfw it'll be another Spacebase-DF9 debacle
>>
>>323672010
Except for the whole "classic adventure" thing.
>>
>>323672010
b-but he's an SJW so everything he does must be bad!
>>
File: TIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMM.gif (2 MB, 245x295) Image search: [Google]
TIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMM.gif
2 MB, 245x295
>>323667636
>>
>>323681374
Yes.
>>
>>323669058

Brutal Legend was a bait and switch. Demo made it out to be a hack and slash adventure game in a world of metal, but the actual game was a fairly poor strategy game with very limited hack and slash sections.
>>
File: 3D.jpg (62 KB, 407x584) Image search: [Google]
3D.jpg
62 KB, 407x584
>>323680393
But i like brown girls, and i am the master of the hive mind too, what's your point?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.