[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>323602279 >>323653597 >>323653528 Sonic thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
>>323602279
>>323653597
>>323653528
Sonic thread continued

Discuss 25th anniversary, favorite games, favorite soundtracks etc
>>
>>323653852
>>>/vg/
>>
It's still a shit series
>>
>>323653951
>>323654005
Consider suicide
>>
File: dark_chao_by_xopachi-d91mrmq.png (715 KB, 1024x1782) Image search: [Google]
dark_chao_by_xopachi-d91mrmq.png
715 KB, 1024x1782
postin' some pachi to start
>>
>>323654005
Only from 2006 onwards.
>>
Unleashed is a bad game.
>>
Unleashed is my favorite, and I have a soft spot for Heroes even if I know it's a shitty game
>>
Sonic advance collection for 3ds when
>>
>>323654116
kek, 2007 onwards is when the series got good for the first time.

>>323654154
I know that feel on both. Unleashed is the best and Heroes fucking enrages me but i cant hate it. Theres to many good zones and hammy script
>>
>>323654283
>Unleashes on PC never
>"But anon get Generations! Unleashed mod!"
I should probably get Generations in the next sale
>>
>>323654283
Kek, you have to be 18 years old to post here.
>>
File: knuckles.png (165 KB, 775x927) Image search: [Google]
knuckles.png
165 KB, 775x927
>>323654134
>tfw the Werehog segments would've been perfect for Knuckles
>tfw Unleashed forgot Knuckles existed entirely
>tfw Knuckles will never be playable outside of spinoffs and god forbid Sonic Boom ever again
>>
>>323654379
Its not the same. The worldbuilding and scenery really helps set the tone for unleashed. Just downloading a mod and rushing through the stages is not the best way to experience unleashed. All of the parts come together in that game to make it the best, its not just the day stages at work
>>
>>323654460
The werehog gameplay was terrible. It was perfect for the trash and nothing else. And why do you faggots keep forgetting Knuckles was supposed to be a speedy character too? He was never meant to be a slow character except in the godawful Boom games.
>>
>>323653597
it's rare to see anyone who actually enjoys Unleashed.

People consider Generations and Colors as the high of Modern Sonic, when they actually struck gold in Unleashed. The problem was that the Werehog was weighing it down, and was too much of a departure. The werehog parts aren't even that bad, but the enemies are too uninteresting, and you never have any reason to do anything but mash the same combo over and over again.

It's disappointing, because you can see where they could of gone with the Werehog, but it seems like they weren't able to completely finish it to the point where using different combos would be necessary.

>>323654283
I would like Heroes more if the physics weren't complete shit.

It's just so floaty and slippery to play, especially on the Speed characters.

Speaking of decent Sonic games nobody cares about, Riders is GOAT but nobody gave a fuck because of the whole "Sonic on a hoverboard" shit. At least we got a kinda shit sequel and a really shitty Kinect game out of it (although, I would love to see Free Riders played without the Kinect, as I'm fairly sure it would be decent that way).

People only gave a SaSASR a chance because it had SEGA characters, and wasn't all Sonic.
>>
>>323654559
If they had used Knuckles it wouldn't have needed to be so slow, and there could've been gliding instead of stretchy arms
>>
>>323654564
>the werehog parts aren't even that bad
Yes they were. You Unleashed apologists are the fucking worst.
>>
File: u wot m8.jpg (71 KB, 468x406) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.jpg
71 KB, 468x406
>>323653852
does anyone else think this guy looks like sonic in motion?
>>
>>323654564
I like Unleashed despite the Werehog (and even liked the non-combat sections), but I really think Generations has better level design. Gameplay-wise, it was a step up with more elaborate setpieces and more to do while Unleashed focused too much on speed and QTEs.

>>323654604
You're no longer talking about the same gameplay then, so how is the Werehog which focused on stretching perfect for Knuckles?
>>
>>323654681
Specifically the combat and fighting enemies.
>>
>>323653852
WHAT COMES UP
WHAT COMES DOWN
>>
>>323654629
They played better then anything from the SA games, I can say that much.

They were a radical change from what we were used to (especially since it was Sonic), but the gameplay itself was solid. The problem was the fact that there was no reason to use anything but the basic combos, and the fact that if you didn't level up the Werehog, you were weak as shit, and fights took a while.

All of that, and the music became irritating after a while. They seriously needed some different sounding music for battles
>>
>>323654715
Again, Knuckles was only a brawler in Boom. He was never about combat and fighting enemies in any of the other games.
>>
>>323654715
But even the combat was heavily focused on stretching.
>>
>>323653852
Sonic Battle sequel for 3DS when?
>>
>>323654801
>They played better then anything from the SA games, I can say that much.
>the werehog sections
This has to be bait. Nobody is this stupid.
>>
>>323654474
I'm actually considering taking out my old 360 for Unleashed now. Can we talk about how comfy the night music is? I fucking love the mellow jazz

>>323654564
Every once in a while there are a few anons who declare they love Unleashed so it's nice to see it. I felt like Colors was too slow for my taste but the Colors Powers were a nice touch of innovation without killing the game. That being said just like you did, Werehog really dragged down Unleashed. Personally I didn't mind it at all and enjoyed it but they really didn't need it in the game.
>>
>>323654849
He had lots of different punching moves in the Sonic Advance games and Sonic Battle was centered entirely around fighting. I think having Knuckles in a brawler setting makes perfect sense.
>>
>>323654801
PC port would literally fix that

Make a mod so you get more exp or the werehog one hits everything

and disable the battle music when a fight starts

And of course 60fps. Unleashed pc would be perfect
>>
File: 1393400843223.jpg (55 KB, 494x421) Image search: [Google]
1393400843223.jpg
55 KB, 494x421
>>323654801

>They played better than anything from the SA games.

I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried.
>>
>>323654629
Unleashed apologists like it because it was they're first Sanic. Not their fault they are young.
>>
>>323654985
The werehog stuff would still be boring and most of the daytime stages would still be poorly designed.
>>
>>323654965
The werehog was good because it made the game last longer than 3 hours.

Tired of these short ass basic shitty sonics. 3 hours for $50 bucks. Fucking kiss my ass. I paid $60 for unleashed and felt like I got a long complete product and a grand adventure. All I got was level packs with shitty scripts in everything after Unleashed
>>
File: ba8dd904b5.png (520 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
ba8dd904b5.png
520 KB, 1400x1400
>>323654379
Just emulate it
>>323654091
How is this supposed to make me feel?
>>
>>323655082
Quality > quantity. Unleashed was longer because a fuckton of shitty padding. I paid near $70 for each of the Genesis Sonics and they're far better games than Unleashed could ever hope to be, despite being like an hour long each.
>>
File: Gotta Rev Fast.jpg (69 KB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
Gotta Rev Fast.jpg
69 KB, 264x264
I think we all know that the real Sonic debate is which game had the best songs with lyrics in it.
Because Sonic Heroes easily wins that one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJZ5MbJDzU
>>
>>323655229
Unleashed had quality and quantity and everything else. Colors is nothing but quantity. Seriously that is one fucking boring sonic game. Its all 2D but theres no old styled physics so whats the fucking point? Same shit with classic sonic. And modern sonic stages are neutered hard compared to Unleashed day stages

Unleashed is paced fantastically and has tons of great content
>>
>>323655203
>emulate
I don't have a super computer anon

>>323655082
It's not even the whole time factor. If I can get a fun time out of a 4 hour game, then I'll be happy. But if the game is mediocre then I'll feel ripped off no matter what
>>
>>323655357
You can probably at least afford a used PS2 from Ebay. They're going for pretty cheap now.
>>
>>323655343
The majority of the game is shit. Not much in the way of quality when half of the game is awful werehog stuff and the other half is plagued with poorly designed levels.

>Unleashed is paced fantastically
You are insane. The game had terrible pacing thanks to the werehog and medal hunt bullshit.
>>
>>323655561
I'll just take out my 360 and pray it still works. Do you know if hacking 360s are easy, like a Wii or is it more of a pain in the ass?
>>
>>323655602
No its fucking not you retard. A majority of the game is great. The only shit part is how high the barrier is for adabat compared to previous areas but still if you explore even a tiny bit medals are easy to come by. Every main act in unleashed is next to perfect, fuck off with your meme opinions
>>
>>323655065
There are a couple day stages I'm not fond of, but I'm curious which ones you consider good and bad.
>>
>>323655739
>every main act in Unleashed is next to perfect
I'm so glad my standards aren't rock-bottom like yours.
>>
>>323654940
>A God of War clone with a solid fighting system but shit enemies is worse than a crappy targetting mini-game, a shitty fishing game, and that fucking kart racing minigame
>all of which you were forced to go through to get to the end of the game
You faggots are confusing fun with solid gameplay. They're usually hand-in-hand, but you can have gameplay that works without breaking apart that's boring, and gameplay that's fun but breaks apart pretty easily.

The Werehog is an example of the former, while the Adventure games are an example of the latter.

Shit, and you need to go through all the shitty parts in the Adventure games. You don't need to do all of the Werehog stages in Unleashed. You need to do the first Act, and perhaps the second, but you were never forced to do every single werehog stage. The only reason people remember it is because most of the medals were in the main werehog acts, and because searching for the medals in the day stages was a pain.
>>
>>323655343
Classic Sonic in Generations has awful physics, but good level design that makes it fun (if inaccurate) to play. Colors has a lot of lame levels, but its not exactly worse than Unleashed in that regard.

>>323655739
Mazuri is mediocre, the water sections in Chun Nan are frustrating for little payoff, Adabat's bottomless pits get too wide, Empire City and Eggmanland both go on too long, and all the Annihilator sections are too twitchy. I love Unleashed, but the game was not perfect.
>>
>>323654924
How often does Sega revisit ideas they tried once or twice with varying success?
>>323655649
No idea, never owned a 360.
>>
Sonic The Hedgehog is marketed towards autistic children and manchildren. Please reconsider your life decisions.
>>
>>323655976
>a God of War clone that does everything wrong and is a chore to play and takes up a majority of the game is worse than a bunch of stuff that was over quickly and inoffensive at worst
Yes.
>>
>>323656368
They did it for Sonic Boom on the 3DS.
>>
>>323656368
>Sonic Boom got 2 sequels
>>
>>323656114
Mazuri night is platforming perfection and the treetop areas at mazuri day make up for the average citadel part. The chun nan water section is a short scary obstacle course with the spikes. Its about 15 seconds in a 4 minute level and does not ruin everything else in it. You are running over most of adabats bottomless pits so unlesss you fuck up and hit a wall or water pillar, you will never experience this bottomless pit. Empire city was average lengthed i though, eggmanland is supposed to be hard and long as its a final level. Its good that its just a giant obstacle course and you have to use everything the game taught you to beat it, those make for great final levels. Indifferent on the annihaltor sections, sometimes the bomb spawns were really crazy and you couldnt avoid it in time. fair enough.

I disagree with all of those criticisms

>>323656389
Another nostalgia autist who probably first touched sonic on his gamecube. Nothing in unleashed is anywhere near as offensive as what was presented in adventure. If unleashed, going by the meme opinion and thought train, was 50% shit, then adventure 1 was 70% shit and adventure 2 was 66% shit.
>>
>>323656505
>>323656427
Which they hired a different dev for, only publishing. Sonic Team works lot closer with Sega than Big Red Button or Sanzaru.
>>
>>323656545
I first touched Sonic on the Genesis. I'm not an underage retard like you. Your posts reek of a blind fanboy who grew up with a shitty game and desperately wants other people to like it.
>>
>>323656737
Yeah and my first sonic was sonic jam on saturn. Maybe youre the underaged autist here since youre trying so hard to hate a good game like the rest of the internet does. Unleashed is a 9/10 game in reality, in whatever meme opinion you have its a 2/10.
>>
>>323656649
Aaand they can't do the same for Sonic Battle?
>>
>>323656737
>First game was on the Genesis
>Likes Adventure
>Doesn't like Unleashed

This is VERY backwards.
>>
>>323656847
The rest of the internet hates it for good reason. It's a bad game. Not a 2/10 (that would be 06-tier) but a 4/10 sounds about right. Remove the werehog and it'd be a 6.
>>
>>323656974
How do you figure? The Adventure games actually had platforming and were much closer to the spirit of the originals than Unleashed.
>>
>>323657031
>6/10 with no werehog and with the daytime Sonic
Yet you probably like Generations a lot don't you? I don't think Generations was a masterpiece by any means but I don't understand how you think the completed game is a 4/10. I think it's a solid 6.5/10 and with less werehog probably an 8
>>
>>323657213
Generations is definitely a better game, though I don't know if I'd say I like it "a lot". It's solid.
>>
>>323656847
>Unleashed is a 9/10 game in reality
Anon, I like Unleashed a lot. It is not a 9/10. It is a 7 at best. It's got a lot of flaws that drag things down, just because you don't care about them doesn't make them disappear.
>>
Jesus every thread seems to turn into a Unleashed isn't a bad game thread. I swear. I mean its cool but fuck. I like the game too.

Look Adventure series games are shit, but they were new at the time and people seemed to like the different viewpoints for story bullshit. A lot of you started with this game. Hell I did when I didn't know what sonic was cause I forgot I played that original games at my uncles and couldn't get past oil ocean.

Heroes had cool levels themes but had weird gameplay for it.

Shadow The Hedgehog was a sin.

Sonic 06 is the Russians love child (They love that game I swear to god) They swear they love this game more then any of the other sonic games and want another dark story like this.

Unleashed is where things got better. But people hated it cause werehog was too different from their emerald hunting.

Colors everyone loved the all daytime gameplay but was heldback since 75% of it was in 2.5d gameplay.

Sonic 4 Ep1 everyone wants to forget

Sonic 4 Ep2 was a half okay game that no one can remember.

Generations was just nostalgia with decent level design it was nice seeing levels being seen in a better light honestly.

And Lost World was them trying a new formula for 3d again which blew up by bad level design.

>And we'll still get WHERES MY CHAO GARDEN.

>THEY JUST NEED CHAO GARDEN TO SATE MY SHIT TASTE OF MEDAL COLLECTING

Can never tell if serious when people say that stuff.

I like Unleashed I feel like its the most complete 3d sonic game we've had. But it isn't perfect, at least not until a PC version to fix the framerate and make it not be a lagfest. Hell playing werehog casually with everything maxed. I beat the level of spagonia night act1 in 8 minutes I felt that to be a bit long but I enjoyed it. Not many people feel that way though.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.