[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anybody else really dislike Witcher 3 ending? To me, it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
Did anybody else really dislike Witcher 3 ending?
To me, it was almost Mass Effect 3 tier bad.
Like, the whole story wasn't about Geralt anymore, but about the Mary Sue Ciri, the main villain of the whole series says like 5 sentences in the third game and then suddenly the white frost is the new main villain, although we couldn't care less about and and dont even know what it actually is.
>>
No.
>>
>>323627582
You're not alone. I disliked how they handled freeroam/epilouge after as well. When I saw the snow covered world I was like "damn this gonna be good". I was hoping for something like Red Dead Redemption (without the major character change) with you and your love interest living in a house and you occasionally leaving to finish those extraneous quests. But nope, we are left all alone in Kaer Morhen and the world hasn't changed a bit.
>>
the final fight was lame and anti-climactic

the endings themselves were good
>>
>>323627582
as a bookfag i can say that the endings were much more appreciated if you know the stories. you'll know that ciri has been the main character of the overall plot since the beginning and that geralt is just your viewing window into this world.
yes it will come across as lacking if tw3 is your starting point. the white frost has been a prophecy mentioned throughout all 3 games and is only vaguely prominent in this one.
final fight was anti-climactic and easy in my opinion and i wish they had gotten Eredin's voice actor closer to what i wanted it to be.
>>
>>323627582
I could see how it would seem like that if you haven't read the books. My biggest complaint about the ending is what >>323628167 said. After you finish you're left alone in an empty world. There were other things they could have done better like the final fight but at least they've learned from that because the boss fights in Hearts of Stone are much better.
>>
>>323628663
it might work for somebody who read the books.
But for me, Ciri just felt like a mary sue, the generic "chosen one" character and the whole story was about her, while I didn't really find her interesting at all, especially not in comprasion to such great characters as the bloody baron.
And while Geralt was supposed to care about her, I as a player couldn't care about her at all
>>
>Geralt finally settles down
>Cirilla goes off and hunts monsters and adventures like she always wanted to do
>Temeria is restored.

Ending was pretty good, the white frost is revealed in the first game
>>
>>323628985
i agree. the only thing that made me care about her was my knowledge of the books. if you read those you would get it. but you shouldnt have to do that to enjoy the game.
>>
File: fghdf.jpg (13 KB, 214x235) Image search: [Google]
fghdf.jpg
13 KB, 214x235
>>323628985
SHOULD HAVE READ THE BOOKS
>>
I want to force myself to start this game back up again. I had completed the baron quest line and had just cleared out rat shit with Triss in the city, any of you care to give me an estimate on how far in was or how much i had to go at the time?
>>
>>323628985
>>323629157
Yeah it's a shame because her backstory in the books is pretty interesting.
>>
>>323629335
like 1/3 in
>>
>>323629113
yeah, but it is never really discussed what white frost actually is.
The third game makes it seem like it is the side effect of wild hunter entering our world, or maybe their weapon.
And then, suddenly, in the last 10 mintues, it becomes the main antagonist, and Ciri somehow fights it, we dont know how, since to our knowledge only thing she can do is teleport and cry really loud.
This kinda took me out of the story
>>
>>323628985
please look up what a mary sue is and stop abusing the damn term
>>
>>323628167
Doesn't it say something along the lines of, "You can still continue to play, but everything you do will be as it was just before the final battle, etc."?

Not that you're wrong, but what you're playing definitely isn't supposed to be the "happily ever after"
>>
>>323629456
I think they were assuming you played (and can still remember after all these years) the first game, because the White Frost was the main villain's entire motivation.
>>
>>323629357
Well, I haven't read the books, but from what I heard she is quiet a Mary Sue there aswell.
To quote TV Tropes:
>she is the orphaned Broken Bird princess of fallen kingdom, trained into a killing machine by witchers, user of unique, powerful magic which is part of a Saving the World prophecy and a scheme to Take Over the World (with the ability to travel between time and universes) and her mount is a Cool Horse magically connected with her. She also befriends a unicorn, was part of a teenage outlaws' pack, wields an Infinity+1 Sword, takes down a small army of Mooks on a frozen lake while skating in mist and as a cherry topping, she kills Leo Bonhart, who was known as being able to take down witchers without breaking a sweat. Did we mention she's around 10 when introduced and 18 or younger when the saga ends?
>>
GOTY 2015 regardless of what autismos on here think
>>
>>323627582
People hate ME3's ending because it was literally a "choose your ending" room. Not because of its actual substance.

Also, TW3's ending was pretty good imo. I enjoyed the mild-level twists that occurred in the final hours of the game.
>>
>>323629557
That sword is for monsters!
>>
>>323629609
>abuser of the term "mary sue" also visits TV Tropes
figures
>>
>>323629557
The main villain in the first game was you adoptive child who time traveled and became insane or something, and the wild hunt was the man behind the man.
Maybe white frost was mentioned, but I really can't remember that after all these years. It surely wasn't memorable and I wasn't thinking "oh boy, I wonder how geralt is gonna beat the white frost"
>>
>>323629736
you make a good point. especially since all youve done up to that point actually affects the outcome. rather than the opposite in me3.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (134 KB, 880x733) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
134 KB, 880x733
>>323629456
This is the prophecy itself.

Pretty sure Avalache or whatever wants her to sacrifice herself so the world can be reborn anew. Not really sure what she does if she comes back after dispelling the white frost
>>
>>323629609
When you put it like that, yeah. But she also broke down, joined a group of bandits, did a shitload of drugs, murdered and stole, became a lesbian, got fucked up by Bonhart multiple times and had to watch him butcher her friends before becoming his slave for a few months. And I think she only offed Bonhart by pure luck, because the castle was burning down around them.
>>
>>323629335
You are close to about a 1/3rd done.

It took me about 40 hours to beat the whole thing and I didn't spend too much time on sidequests or gwent
>>
>>323629643
>Witcher 3 discussion is dead unless there's GOTY shitposting
>>
>>323629821
>Maybe white frost was mentioned,
nigga you do the final fight in the frozen wasteland caused by the thing while the main antagonist keeps yelling you about it
>>
>>323629845
>since all youve done up to that point actually affects the outcome
more like 5 sentances
didn't have a snowball fight with Ciri? Too bad, she is gonna die
>>
>>323629609
Mary Sue doesn't mean what you think it does and that description of her is missing some important details. Do you really think a character's development over a saga of books can be summed up in a couple of sentences?
>>
>>323629821
Nah, the Hunt had nothing to do with Aldersberg. He was building up The Order of the Flaming Rose, stealing Witcher secrets to make superhuman soldiers and launching a coup against Temeria all to ensure humanity survives the Frost. Eredin just showed up at the end to claim him because he had the same powers as Ciri, which he needed for his own goals.
>>
>>323627582
The whole White Frost thing was dumb and poorly handled

>Everyone's gonna die from magic space snow
>Yeah I know you've never seen any, just take my word for it
>Oh wait never mind Ciri solved it
>Now Ciri hates you forever depending on whether or not you threw a snowball at her
>The end
>>
>>323629909
well, then I guess it was toned done in the books, because in the game she was really unbearable.
I mean, she is brash, somewhat immature, aggressive, impatient, prone to temper tantrums, doesn't listen to authority, arrogant, feels the need to show off and brag, holds grudges, etc. And the worst thing, she never gets called out for it.
>>
File: witcher3 2015-11-24 14-44-42-89.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher3 2015-11-24 14-44-42-89.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
Disregard homersexual OP, post Ciri
>>
>>323630162
She was always kind of a brat in the books, but yeah, game Ciri was a bit too perfect.
>>
>>323630134
You literally visit a world that's been destroyed by the white frost during a core section of the game. Do you even pay attention, or just button mash every time someone talks?

Also, she doesn't hate you. She just dies.
>>
>>323629987
And? I have no idea what white frost actually is by then, and I dont know it now either.
Is it sentinent? Magical? Natural pehnomen? Did Ciri kill it, or only delay it? How did she fight it? Nothing is explained
>>
>>323627582
What? The whole fucking plot is about finding this bitch.
>>
File: witcher3 2015-11-24 15-07-55-08.jpg (161 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher3 2015-11-24 15-07-55-08.jpg
161 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>323630162
The Witcher isn't an anime, the women in it aren't supposed to be perfect waifu material but actual characters.

Ciri's been fucked around with her whole life, can't really blame her for being mad as shit.
>>
>>323630387
The problem is that this bitch is simply not so interesting as a character, that it would motivate me to look for her the whole game
>>
>>323628985
>Reading the books
>When she started training Geralt and co were just straight pushing her nonstop
>Until Triss came along and established some ground rules such as accounting for Ciri's womanly needs

Seriously, read the books
>>
>>323630325
It's a prophecy, it just happens like in most fantasy.
>>
File: witcher3 2016-01-01 16-54-41-74.jpg (185 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher3 2016-01-01 16-54-41-74.jpg
185 KB, 1920x1080
Leave Ciri alone
>>
>>323630479
But she never gets called out for her imperfections.
She constantly throws tantrums and whines and Geralt is supposed to react with compassion while I as a player am simply annoyed by her.
>>
>>323630621
And this is an overused and boring trope
>>
>>323630660
Avallac keeps ripping into her until she calms down. The rest of them probably let it slide because she's basically their daughter and she's been presumed dead for years.
>>
File: witcher3 2015-12-06 00-36-14-63.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher3 2015-12-06 00-36-14-63.jpg
241 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>323629989
more than that.
the state of the 'realm' or whatever.
who you you wifey.
plus minor things that you notice changing during the playthrough.
>>
File: 2015-11-23_00003.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23_00003.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1080
>>323630221
>>323630462
>>323630627
>tfw ciri never gets fully naked
>>
>>323630787
But this is exactly the problem, the discrepancy between what Geralt feels for her and what I as a player feel for her.
The game simply fails to make me care for Ciri like Geralt does.
>>
>>323630971
Pretty sure there was a mod in like the first week of release
>>
>>323631003
They really aughta have made a condensed version of the books into a cutscene back in TW2 when Triss explains everything to you on the boat.
>>
>>323630770
Witcher is entirely made out of tropes

it started out as a sort of deconstruction of classic fairy tales
>>
>>323630971
Debug mode can do it
>>
>>323631216
I know, I actually read one book, it was basically just fairy tales told edgy.
But In my opinion, the games managed to grow beyond that, at least to a certain degree.
I really loved how the second game was all about polticis, kinda reminded me a bit of a song of ice and fire.
So I was very dissapointed when the third game was about lame prophecies and chosen ones and the destinity of multiverse
>>
>>323631021
>>323631479
Do they actually have her naked character model in the game files? Seems pretty random.
>>
>>323631780
There's parts of the game where she's actually naked isn't there? The camera just obscues her junk
>>
>>323631973
>Bandages
>>
>>323627582
>Like, the whole story wasn't about Geralt anymore, but about the Mary Sue Ciri

>I haven't read the books the post
>>
>>323631683
>when the third game was about lame prophecies and chosen ones and the destinity of multiverse
very little of the game is about that though

I'd argue the politics in the war torn land are just as important and take up much more time. And the central plot is about saving Geralt's family and not saving the world. They pushed the white frost shit in at the last minute but it wasn't enough to ruin the whole thing for me.
>>
>>323632263
But in my opinion, the problem is that the game didn't make the player care enough about Geralts family to give him the desire to save it.
For somebody who doesn't know Ciri from the books, the game just says me "she is your adoptive daughter, you must save her" and gives me no futher motivation, no reason to care for Ciri
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.