[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Great mechanics/gameplay systems wasted on sub-par games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: Nemesis.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Nemesis.jpg
273 KB, 1920x1080
ITT: Great mechanics/gameplay systems wasted on sub-par games
>>
>shadow of mordor
>sub par
wew lad
>>
>>323571374
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LLIQHs2RYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU
>>
>>323571374
Oh but it was. The combat system is utter shit, because apparently all Warner Bros games have to have nearly identical combat system
>>
>>323571478
>>323571521

I think you don't understand what sub-par means.

It wasnt anything incredible, or groundbreaking, but it was a solid system that worked, and served it's purpose.
>>
>>323571478
Did you actually play through the game, or did you get hung up on how easy the starting mooks are, before the spearchuckers and archers start pelting you if you try pulling that shit?
>>
File: 1451541626886.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
1451541626886.png
102 KB, 450x443
>>323571478

>linking to videos with facecams
>>
>>323571754
OP here. I played through the game and you really do become an unstoppable god of combat when you unlock enough of the combat abilities, removing nearly all of the challenge.

Only the ranged enemies will be able to hurt you at that point, as you said, but even their attacks are easily avoided with a little awareness.
>>
>>323571896
>grasping at straws to invalidate criticism of a game
>undertale reaction image
Now we're memin'
>>
That motherfucker I had to kill and he just kept coming over and over with more scars and bandages.
>>
Bane?
>>
>>323570276
did that guy actually banepost at the player?
>>
>>323570276
orc looked great in this game
is it worth playing?
so far i saw it played once but looked kinda generic gameplay wise, typical ubisoft open world game is what i saw
>>
>>323572063
>thinking its undermeme
>>
>>323574032
>>323571478
>>
>>323571754
you might have some problems if you cant press the dodge button m8 .get your head checked the game is fucking easy and the combat is shallow as fuck.
>>
>>323571478
Blown the fuck out
>>
It was just okay. I don't know why you guys are going fucking nuts for it.
>>
>>323572008
>end game
>being OP
even minesweeper has this principle.
>>
>>323574524
i dont know either
>>
>>323574704
Unlocking the instant executions is hardly end-game
>>
>APB car and character customisation literally unmatched

>is wasted on a free2play game where you have to pay a shit ton to customise shit
>>
>>323571707
You're right. It's a pretty simple fun game with an interesting mechanic added.
>>
>>323574524
>>323574705
Usually because an enemy in a video game has a standard and obvious weakness one which players will continue to exploit for each type.

This makes it slightly more interesting
>>
>>323574704
They guy argued that the player is only OP early game, and that the game gets harder late game. Now you're saying that it's fine if the player is OP lategame too. So what you're saying is the player is OP the entire game and the game has easy cinematic combat, just like people were criticizing it for? Great argument.
>>
>>323574901
Came out b2p, tanked so hard the company defaulted.
>>
>>323575325
Didn't it still have a subscription and ask for money constantly?

I wish they'd just re-release the game again as a free2play with a £40 upgrade to get all the cool shit.

I want to get into it but I don't want to pay £5 for every individual car and gun along with monthly subscription. That just kills the fun.
>>
File: Chao1.jpg (35 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Chao1.jpg
35 KB, 320x240
>>
>>323572063
Hownewru.jpg
>>
>Orcs
>Refusing killing blows
>>
>>323575873
>Shadow of Mordor
>conforming to LoTR canon/logic/mythos/lore/in-universe "common sense" in any way
>>
>>323575550

It's free to play and you can get most shit through grinding, but yeah, there's a lot of grinding without the premium.

I'd be okay with it, it's a reasonably fun game and the grinding isn't as bad as other free to play games, but they made a lot of money only guns that are undeniably some of the best guns in the game, and that's more bullshit than anyone should have to handle.
>>
>>323576469
But you have to pay monthly sub to use the customisation tools, along with microtransactions for bodykits, weapons etc.

That just really sucks the fun out of the game.
>>
>>323575232
When you're OP, you still can't go around hitting the "dodge" button all day. Then you have enough tools you don't want to.

These faggots are screaming about how easy a game is because they're pushing the "escape from bad guys" button when they're still at the tutorial-level.
>>
>>323571478
I love when reviewers shit on games.
>>
>>323577603
So you're saying the guy in the second video in this post:
>>323571478
was still at the tutorial level? How far into the game does one have to be before they've exited what you'd call the "tutorial level"?

And you're saying a game that gives infinite zero-cooldown access to an "escape from bad guys" button isn't easy, despite the fact that said button blatantly trivializes combat along with all the additional tools you gain that also trivialize combat? That trading one thing that completely trivializes combat for another is somehow better?
>>
>>323578023
>how far do you have to be?
I'd say to the level where there are archers and/or spearchuckers

>m-muh escape b-button!
Doesn't do damage. You can use that button all fucking day but it won't kill any orcs. All it will do is keep summoning more orcs to the fight. In the later levels, if 3 chieftains show up because you're dancing instead of killing, you could end up properfucked, and then those 3 chieftains will get stronger.
>>
>>323571478
this guy is stupid. He just repeats himself for 22 minutes.
>>
>>323578572
You completely ignored my question regarding the second video in the quoted post, featuring a guy playing in a segment where there were archers, which by your stated criteria means he had left the tutorial level and was still completely trivializing combat.
>>
>Anyone actually trying to say SoM is challenging

kek, you can literally turn enemies into allies with the dodge move when you've upgraded it, instantly kill ANY two enemies except chieftains after landing five hits (aka you pretty much always have two instant kills at your disposal) and you have an AOE blast attack that also turns those hit into allies with the proper upgrades.
>>
Why has no one else adapted The Nemesis system yet?
>>
>>323579320
Because it debuted in a game that sold poorly.
>>
>>323578982
The second video he uses a power that is equivalent to getting a star in Mario and then flipping the fuck out that you don't even have to jump to get over goombas anymore.

>HOLY SHIT, MARIO FUCKING SUCKS, LOOK AT THE STAR!!!
for 20 fucking minutes. What a fucking spaz
>>
>>323580304
And if you got stars in Mario as often then it would be as retardedly easy as SoM.
>>
Is Shadow of Mordor worth a few bucks? I can get for $10. I'm kind of bored right now and need something to keep me entertained for a few weeks.
>>
File: Titanfall-.jpg (107 KB, 610x347) Image search: [Google]
Titanfall-.jpg
107 KB, 610x347
the parkour and general traversal system in Titanfall are wasted on a military shooter.
>>
>>323581485
If you're too stupid to research the game yourself then I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>323581485
It's a good 10 hours of fun.
>>
>>323581572
>you shouldn't ask for opinions of video games on a video games discussion board
>>
>>323570276
It wasn't that terrible a game, I would just say it was an on-par game. Nothing spectacular but it was entertaining enough, wouldn't pay for it at full price ever though.
>>
>>323582657
Not everyone has low standards.
>>
I didn't really like the system tbqh. Shit game overall.
>>
>>323581572

What, is there some guy you listen to without question or something? How do you research people's opinions without asking them on a video game board?

Fuckin' genius.
>>
>>323581560
There are plenty of other games out there that have free running mechanics. Titanfall is hardly unique in having them.
>>
>>323582992
Yes, I expect masterpieces from every $6 game
>>
>>323581485
I wouldn't bother. The game gets really boring, really fast. The combat is simply tedious and because there are hordes of enemies everywhere, you just end up fighting literally dozens over dozens of enemies for minutes while you're trying to get to your objective. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Just pirate it and see if you like it.
>>
>>323583327
name literally one.

protip: you should name some
>>
>>323583456
Mirror's Edge is probably the best contender
>>
>>323570276
I don't like binary abilities like that. Saying an orc is "immune" to arrows and stealth is shit, make a stat system and give them high evasion/armor and high perception/detection then.
>>
>>323571478
woah dude you totally proved us wrong

I guess I actually didn't enjoy the game
>>
>>323570276
>kill my nemesis 15 times
>still alive at end of game a deformed bandaged mess
>"You can't kill me! No one can kill me!"
>fight him
>brand him
>he fights for me now

Redeemed the repetitiveness of the game easy.
>>
File: zangyaku-san.jpg (194 KB, 1200x705) Image search: [Google]
zangyaku-san.jpg
194 KB, 1200x705
>>323572063
>that
>undertale reaction image
>>
The unit design in Supcom 2
Everything in Planetary Annihilation

The Frostbite engine in everything Battlefield related

The sandbox elements in EVE Online
The attention to detail in Arma 3 (god that engine is just shit)
>>
>>323583873
>someone states that a game is sub-par
>someone else disagrees
>evidence is provided as to why the game is indeed sub-par
>you somehow interpret this as anyone in the discussion having tried to argue that you personally did not enjoy the game
It's like arguing with children.
>>
The only problem Shadow of Mordor had was it was piss easy, thus making the whole nemesis system pointless.
>>
>>323570276
Remember those teasing videos where they said "WOAH guys, this game is so fucking hard, thankfully we have this one dev of ours here who is GODLIKE at this HARD game after spending 2000 hours to master it!".

What a fucking joke that was.
>>
>>323570276
at least its inspired one of the best songs of all time.
>>
>>323574704
Every "tough enemy" has easily exploitable Weakness allowing you to insta kill them at any point in the game. Game actually makes it so difficult for enemies to actually hit you even when the giant indicators are turned off. I don't care what you say if a game has shallow as fuck gameplay it isn't anything more than a sub par game. Go play pokies If you want instant gratification.
>>
>>323571478
>Guys I press button and shit happen
>This mean the game is bad
I'm not sure what he expected
>>
>>323584604
What?
>>
Worst part is, they could have done a LOT more with it, it had so much potential senpai
>>
>>323583585
They have visual indicators for that stuff though. Orcs that are immune to ranged, for example, actually swat arrows away with their weapons.
>>
>>323584995
All the defenses people are trying to muster for the game are fucking hilarious.

>>323585475
Stuff like this. I hope for this guy's sake he isn't serious.
>>
>>323585821
>I've never played a hacknslash
Since we have a live one here, I'm gonna ask you :
What did you expect ?
>>
File: grfs_1.jpg (62 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
grfs_1.jpg
62 KB, 610x343
The weapon customization in Ghost Recon Future Soldier was some of the best I've seen. Other than locking specific upgrades behind bullshit it was really nice and in depth.
>>
>>323586446
yes
>>
The Nemesis System would be pretty neat if it was in an RPG that tracked story events rather in BamHam LOTR edition
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.