[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is going on with games? Please tell me guys. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: max payne.jpg (89 KB, 580x666) Image search: [Google]
max payne.jpg
89 KB, 580x666
What the fuck is going on with games?

Please tell me guys.
I dont know if

>A) I'm Too good for videogames now

>B) Videogames are getting easier every year to lure in more players

>C) Both

I loved max payne 1 and 2, truly challenging games.

Now I just replayed Max payne 3 and I wonder what the fuck happened?
I like the game, but it's ridiculously easy.

>Infinite shootdodge
>Cant be damaged during shootdodge
>indestructible cover
>enemies only flank you if they're scripted to do so
>only a select few enemies have nades to flush you out of cover
>kill indicator that stays there even if you fucking explicitly disable it on the menu (the X mark dissapears but the screen still flashes every time someone dies.)

And the biggest of them fucking all:

Last fucking stand.

Which is basically the game saying "Ohhhh did you died? wait let me fix that, poor child! here you go, keep playing, nothing happened!"

Fucking bullshit that you cant disable it until you unlock old school.

I just ran out and mowed down every enemy without even taking cover throughout the entire game, its really easy as shit.

Every year, games are getting easier, now really nothing satisfies me. Not even dark souls 2 was particulary hard
>>
C, plus the fact that AAA developers are getting pretty lazy when it comes to game mechanics.
>>
>>323527505
>C, plus the fact that AAA developers are getting pretty lazy when it comes to game mechanics.
Max Payne 3 unrelated
>>
>>323527641

Dont forget these faggots now want to completely kill boss fights.
>>
>>323528030
who is killing boss fights exactly

because i just played a 2015 game with bossfights
>>
File: 200mad.jpg (39 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
200mad.jpg
39 KB, 500x738
>>323528301

>who is killing boss fights

Most western developers are.

They want to have more cinematic experiences so they're removing good ol' bossfights in exchange of puzzle bosses or QTE bosses

most recent game I can remember with actual boss fights is wolfenstein TNO

>mfw MGSV had 3 bossfights, 1 of them was extremely easy, one was a puzzle boss and the ohter one was a bullet sponge

fuck kojima
>>
>>323528662
"most western developers" he says, then he sites a fucking japanese game
>>
>>323528815

It wasnt a related example.

Bioware is killing bossfights.
EA is killing boss fights
Ubisoft is killing bossfights
Activision is killing bossfights
Warner bros is killing bossfights
Rockstar is killing bossfights
"Oh but anon, all of those companies are terrible!"

OK, while not actually trying to kill them, CDPR does a terrible job at creating bossfights

Also which 2015 game you played that had boss fights?
>>
>>323529117
Dark Souls 2

>Rockstar

What game has Rockstar put out recently that didn't have bossfights?

And don't say GTA because that series has about 3 bossfights total in its entirety. Honestly, I think you're just bitching about some really vague points in an attempt to fit in on /v/. Stop it.
>>
>>323529337

Dark souls 2 is a fucking japanese game that pretty much got famous because of its fucking boss fights. Thinking DS2 is a good example to defend your case is like being surprised about finding cars in a need for speed game.

GTAv had bossfights? thats new to me.

RDR only had cinematic shit, Max payne 3 only had cinematic shit. The first max payne games had actual boss fights.
>>
>>323527382
it's an easy game compared to 1 and 2, but if you played it on console it probably had auto-aim on unless you disabled it
>indesctructible cover
that's wrong though, there are points in the game where your cover will get rekt, for example the lobby sequence with the minigun dude, the part in the offices etc. but yeah most cover is impervious
>enemies only flank you if they're scripted to do so
that's because of the linear level design though
>kill indicator
never had this problem on the PC version

if you play this as a cover shooter you're simply doing it wrong though, this is Max Payne senpai
>>
>>323531608

I played it on PC. Only played it on xbox once when my cousin got it and it was terrible.

>the columns from that encounter are indestructible.

Kill indicator is present in the PC version anon, I literally just finished the game 2 days ago.
When you kill someone, a X shows up on your reticle, you can disable this in the menu, but the screen will still flash (like when you take a painkiller) every time an enemy dies so its literally pointless.

Also, that reminded me: reticle made stuff extremely easy, instead of giving an actual crosshair without a center point, so that we actually had to calculate where the center of the aim was.

Would have been better if guns were actually different from each other as well.
>>
>>323532421
really? i distinctly remember there being destructible cover

not sure if a looser crosshair would've made much different in the difficulty though, but you can at least turn off that it turns red over enemies

how do you mean different guns? other than having different fire rates, recoil, spread etc.?
>>
Weird, I played all the max payne games on hardest difficulties and I found 3 to be the hardest of the 3 because its harder to cheese the AI like in 1 and 2.
>>
>>323533315

SOME cover is destructible, like the cubicles from the same level, but the majority of it isnt, it tears apart but its still completely functional.

And seeing how fast you had to aim while also moving, I'd say it would have made a huge difference.

Different guns, make every gun feel different.

Give them variable recoil and accuraccy, every gun had PERFECT accuraccy and no recoil.

a .38 feels the same as a fucking .608 and .50 AE

you could empty a full clip of the deagle in quick succession and every bullet would hit the same spot.

thats really not how guns work.
>>
>>323529117
2015 games with boss battles?
Wolf old blood
Gat out of hell
MGSVTPP
Witcher 3
Undertale
Rise of Tomb Raider
Fallout 4
Bloodborne
FF Type 0 HD
FFXV Duscae
Boss fights aren't goimg anywhere
And 2016 will have FFXV and Dark Souls 3 to give us excellent bosses
>>
>>323534105
hell in max payne 1 you can avoid getting shot entirely just by spamming roll

shootdodge is just for flash
>>
>>323527382
you forgot
>laser-accurate handguns and instant-hit bullets so you don't have to lead your shots over distance

couldn't finish MP3. Cutscenes were too numerous, writing cringy, and combat not satysfying.
>>
>>323528030
All Max Payne games have had terrible boss fights
>>
>>323534838

Wait a second, are these actually GOOD bossfight or cinematic bullshit boss fights?

Because you mentioned MGSV and TW3 and these 2 have absolutely atrocious boss fights.
>>
>>323529576
>The first max payne games had actual boss fights.
You mean "retard standing on a roof fixture that you have to shoot down"? Great fucking boss fight, anon
>>
>>323535895

well he listed Newer Tomb Raider so the standards are pretty low
>>
>>323535975

>Vlad is literally the only puzzle boss in MP2
>you mention vlad to build your case.

I dont remember much of MP2, but MP1 had lupino for example who was a legit boss.
>>
>>323536118

Fucking knew it.

"bossfights aren't going anywhere" yeah right fuck you anon
>>
>>323534178
the problem is that in mp3 all guns are disposable, so they need to be roughly equally effective as well

the variety is just there to give the game some flavor
>>
>>323534178
they made all guns super-accurate so player will never run out of range, regardless of what weapons he carries.
Because someone thought it was a good idea to limit loadout to 2 handguns + 1 long weapon.

Some weapons had perfect accuracy in MP1 as well, but that worked both ways, and player had to dodge incoming shots, and lead his own.
>>
>>323535895
I didn't specify
I didn't answer to a post asking about quality, but about which games even had them
>>323536118
Rise of the Tomb Raider has boss fights
Meaning you clear out an area, new heavily armored and dangerous enemies appear and you have to kill them
You have to move around a lot because they throw grenades and can't hide in the shacks because they'll surround you and blow you up
The helicopter isn't a boss fight, it's a set piece
Granted the others aren't great but it's something
And now that I think about it Tabata has a bad track record with bosses, especially the final boss
>>
File: payne.png (753 KB, 880x1060) Image search: [Google]
payne.png
753 KB, 880x1060
Max Payne 2 is the only good Max Payne game.
>>
File: charchan face.png (526 KB, 660x605) Image search: [Google]
charchan face.png
526 KB, 660x605
>>323536381
> Rise of the Tomb Raider has boss fights
>Meaning you clear out an area, new heavily armored and dangerous enemies appear and you have to kill them
> You have to move around a lot because they throw grenades and can't hide in the shacks because they'll surround you and blow you up

Is this the first shooter you played in your life and how retarded do you have to be to call that a boss fight?
>>
>>323536539

Leave him alone, he thinks boss fights are going nowhere in the west.
>>
>>323536539
It's technically a boss fight
A stronger, more dangerous team of enemies, that even looks different
I know it's not wolfenstein bosses but I'd honestly take this over that godawful final boss old blood had
>>
>>323527382
>play on medium
>pretend the game is too easy
Is this the real life?
>>
File: 2014-08-23_00009.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-23_00009.jpg
573 KB, 1920x1080
>>323536381
>Meaning you clear out an area, new heavily armored and dangerous enemies appear and you have to kill them
So Max Payne 3 DOES have boss fights then
>>
>>323527382
Old School doesn't have last stand. You're not playing on hardcore like a casual, are you?
Because when you think a game is too easy, the first thing you do is increase the difficulty level, not come to 4chan and cry about it, right? That would be some insanely stupid shit.
>>
>>323536901

Well fuck you because I was playing on hard (the hardest difficulty you can select before beating the game)

Now im beating it in old school and I literally got the "no painkillers used" achievement during the 2nd level ON OLD SCHOOL.

Do you want to see the achievements?

Max payne 3 is easy as shit, sorry that you suck in video games.
>>
>>323535975
>>323536120
Rico Muerte
Jack Lupino
Franke Niagara
Boris Dime
B.B.
>>
>>323535816
More like it kicked your ass something fierce, so your mangirl briend hugged itself and pretended the game was too casual for you. What a bitch.
>>
>>323537005
Yes they technically are boss fights
>>
>>323537019

Hey tell me how much of a retard are you?

There are 5 difficulties in max payne 3

Easy
Normal
Hard
hardcore
old school

Hardcore and old school are LOCKED until you beat the game once.

How the fuck were you expecting me to beat the game on OLD SCHOOL if it was MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH?

Now go ahead, read that and tell me how does it feel to be a fucking retard.
>>
>>323537037
>Now im beating it in old school and I literally got the "no painkillers used" achievement during the 2nd level ON OLD SCHOOL.
Oh wow, you must have a gigantic penis also. What an attention whore.
>>
>>323536403
>needing to savescum
bullets are slow enough to evade them by strafe running, they key is to keep moving
>>
>>323537143
>Hardcore and old school are LOCKED until you beat the game once.
And you couldn't even manage that, you decided to come to 4chan to show off your leet skillz.
Look, it's not our fault mommy isn't back from work yet, we're not your fucking babysitters.
>>
>>323537084
Dude the writing is horrible and Max never shuts his fucking face
I don't wanna listen to some old guy whining and being grumpy
>>
>>323537084
>>323537149
>>323537236
stay mad, puta
>>
>>323536843

this is bait right?
>>
>max payne 1 and 2
>trully challenging
Dodging in 1 was an invi-frame IIRC and the most frustrating part of the game was near the end where you enter that skyscraper and there are faggots sniping you with nade launchers as soon as you turn around a corner.

I don't even remember a difficult part in the 2nd game.

The main problem with the 3rd one is that hitscan weapons(which are super accurate too) combined with realistic health(headshots kill instantly) make it super easy to clear an entire room full of baddies in 2 jumps if you're playing with a mouse. Maybe they shouldn't have gone with realism, but then again I can't really imagine how else they could have balanced it.
>>
>>323537890
No
It's the definition of a boss fight
>Boss battles are generally seen at the climax of a particular section of the game, usually at the end of a stage or level, or guarding a specific objective, and the boss enemy is generally far stronger than the opponents the player has faced up to that point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_%28video_gaming%29
>>
>>323535816
i bet you think battlefield 4 sniper bulletdrop is realistic
>>
>>323537997
>most
I actually meant "only"
>>
>>323537040
All shitty bullet sponges, and for no good story reasons. MP3 is the only game in the series with tolerable boss fights.
>>
>>323528662
wasn't there only 2 bosses you actually had to fight? What was the puzzle boss?
>>
I don't understand how you can say MP3 is easier than the previous games. Both of the previous Paynes are piss easy once you figure out how the mechanics work. In MP1 you can run circles around the enemies because their aiming is always dragging behind you, and in MP2 turning on slow mo is almost cheating because killing one enemy gives you fucking 2x movement speed. Not to mention invincible rolling in both games.

In MP3 you can die in one hit, even during shootdodge, and you literally have to use the slo mo to even get shots out safely.
>>
>>323538963
bullet drop has nothing to do with it.
In MP1 bullets would take their sweet time to reach target, so at distance you had to aim where enemy will be when bullets reach him, and you had to constantly move, because in meantime baddies could fire as well and kill you. Bullets passing each other mid-air and killing both of you at the same time were pretty common fuckup.

In MP2 bullets are a lot faster, but you still had to lead over distance, and additionally most weapons had considerable spread, making outrunning bullets far less viable as tactic.

Both slutions beat easily in term of fun MP3, where all you need is to move cursor on head in bullet time, without worrying about spread or distance.
>>
>>323540548
MP1 bullet speed was always retarded unfun shit. The bullets shouldn't already be moving slow if you can slow them down further with bullet time

It's as if this series could never really find a balance for the slo mo.
>>
>>323529117
no, its modern gameplay thats killing bossfights.

cinematic gameplay doesnt mix well with bosses because bosses are too "gamey". It feels "off" to, for example, have a regular guy that instead of taking 3 shots to kill, takes 300.

Simple example: watch dogs. The final boss is an old guy and you just hold a button to shut his pacemaker down. How do you make that into a boss? I mean im sure there are cool, crazy ideas but it's just not fitting with the games presentation.
>>
>>323541424
bullet time only slows down enemy bullets, not max's

all three games do this
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.