[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm playing pic related for the first time and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12
File: halo1.jpg (765 KB, 994x995) Image search: [Google]
halo1.jpg
765 KB, 994x995
I'm playing pic related for the first time and I'm VERY dissapointed.

Is this really the game that shaped up FPS?

Playing it on legendary because every game is too fucking easy and this is no exception, legendary only turns enemies into bullet sponges so every encounter is boring as fuck.

The main weapon is fucking horrible, it literally cant hit anything more than 6 yards away and unless its point blank, it wont even hit every bullet at the target. burst firing doesnt changes anything.

Every alien gun feels like crap, and the "needler" holy shit is it bad, is that really the weapon that halo fanboys hype all the fucking time?

So tell me why was this game considered revolutionary, or even good
>>
>>323525129

>expects a game from 2001 to play like a current day fps
>>
>>323525129

>So tell me why was this game considered revolutionary, or even good

I never thought it was that great. I befuddled me in those years why people made such a big deal out of it. To me it was just a little upgrade from previous console FPSs like Time Splitters or Perfect Dark, nothing to write home about.

I think the whole Space Marine concept is appealing to some people, and it was pretty macho and western in a time when most console games were really, really, really weeb.
>>
the reason you don't like it is because you were most likely born post 2005
>>
>>323525129

The game aged badly.

It was great for its time, it had

>huge enviroment
>great AI (dodging nades, nading you if you tried to take cover, lots of shits)
>cool setting
>cool protagonist
>intriguing plot

and the biggest of them all:

>dedicated grenade button.

Yup, that last one is most likely the reason why it was considered revolutionary, pretty sure no other game before this one actually had a dedicated nade button, you had to equip the nade and throw it.

Theres really not much to say, the game is really bad by today's standards, just follow some tips if you wish to improve the experience:

>Drop the assault rifle, the only useful thing it has is the compass, and it doesnt even work properly most of the time

>use nades, a lot, its really hard to run out of nades.

>forget about rescuing marines in legendary, theres like a 99% chance they'll die before you even get to the spot, its not your fault, just the way the game is, they have no chance against a single enemy.

And yes the needler is shit, just stick to the plasma rifle
>>
the most interesting thing about halo is how it integrated vehicles into the gameplay / multiplayer, playable in a way that was viable and not cumbersome and jarring

unfortunately the sequels removed a lot of the freedom and control the CE vehicles had

everything else is lackluster and the single player campaign is pretty ass
>>
>>323526140
You fucking with me right.

If you use the AR right it's a goddamn flood destroyer

Learn how to fucking burst fire and when to full auto rush
>>
>>323526335
i really like some levels of the single player but others (basically the flood-focused ones) are total crap
>>
>>323526345

flood.

You use it on the covenant and you're fucked.

The average bad guy will take an entire clip of it point blank full auto before having the shield removed in legendary. By that time nigga you're already dead.

And burst fire literally changes nothing in CE dumbass, even the first shot has a randomized spread. It's basically a full auto shotgun
>>
File: 0970p643.jpg (36 KB, 234x234) Image search: [Google]
0970p643.jpg
36 KB, 234x234
>>323525129
>Playing it on legendary because every game is too fucking easy and this is no exception, legendary only turns enemies into bullet sponges so every encounter is boring as fuck.

The enemies pursued you much more when you ran behind cover in Halo 1 Legendary, something they actually toned down after Halo 2
>>
>>323526631
This, I think. I never played Halo's single player campaign very much but I knew good players who struggled to beat the game on Legendary, and this was from the era when people didn't suck at games yet.
>>
>>323526627
>And burst fire literally changes nothing in CE dumbass, even the first shot has a randomized spread.
this is incorrect
>>
File: 1398145184498.png (50 KB, 786x218) Image search: [Google]
1398145184498.png
50 KB, 786x218
No its not retard, its just a shooter game.
>>
>>323526993

Not the guy you're quoting but its not.

The assault rifle has randomized spread on every single shot, while firing full auto for the entire clip will make some bullets spread on a wider angle, you can never actually have a 100% accurate shot with the assault rifle. The first shot will always hit somewhere within the reticle, but thats not saying much because the reticle is very, very big.

If you want accuraccy, use the plasma guns.
>>
File: 1407291706821.jpg (99 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
1407291706821.jpg
99 KB, 1536x1152
>>323525129
Only ever played CE campaign on Xbox so I can't really relate to how the game feels on PC. Playing this when it came out was fucking awesome, full vibration controller, dedicated grenade trigger, free form vehicle use, a recharging energy shield (a big deal in 2001), two weapon limit and the combat always felt great on a console. It was the best game in town if you had only ever played console shooters, and this fact is why so many PC players at the time didn't think much of it but everyone else fucking loved it. I've played the campaign to the point where it's all reflexive to me but I can probably help you out.

On legendary you have to take advantage of the gun mechanics, plasma for shields and bullets for health. The Assault rifle is very viable for trash enemies (grunts, Jackles, and other non shielded foes). The pistol is your friend: use it for headshots and finishers. The needler is for use against elites in close quarters (hose the bastard and watch them pop) literally the easiest way to kill the fuckers. Also use your grenades liberally. The way all the guns play into each role is part of the fun.
>>
>>323528398
>a recharging energy shield (a big deal in 2001)

This is true. Game was babby mode from the start, and that got a lot of casuals interested.
>>
I'll never forgive Halo for popularizing the two weapon limit.
>>
File: absolutely heretical.jpg (15 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
absolutely heretical.jpg
15 KB, 267x200
>>323528398
>>323529008

tfw you realize halo was responsible for killing a lot of great FPS sagas like duke nukem by adding that bullshit
>>
>>323528585
If you aren't a fan of the mechanic I'd say CE is the least offensive. You still had a static health bar and could get your shit wrekt, plus on Legendary the shield is almost a non-factor most of the time.
>>
>>323527989
you could get pretty accurate shots using the tap tap tap method
the first shot was more accurate
>>
>>323529292
Duke Nukem Forever released a whole decade after Halo came out
It killed itself
>>
>>323525129
>I'm playing pic related for the first time and I'm VERY dissapointed.

There's your problem. The sequels are almost better in everyway, especially the multiplayer. Halo 1 has the best story and best open level, but that's it.

>Is this really the game that shaped up FPS?
console fps yes. And it did it with many innovations in controls and game design specifically aimed for consoles.

>Playing it on legendary because every game is too fucking easy and this is no exception, legendary only turns enemies into bullet sponges so every encounter is boring as fuck.

Yep.

>The main weapon is fucking horrible, it literally cant hit anything more than 6 yards away and unless its point blank, it wont even hit every bullet at the target. burst firing doesnt changes anything.

The main weapon is your handgun anon, not that silly rifle.

>Every alien gun feels like crap, and the "needler" holy shit is it bad, is that really the weapon that halo fanboys hype all the fucking time?

Needler is easy mode and plasma pistol and magnum are game-breaking. Enjoy.

>So tell me why was this game considered revolutionary, or even good

Because at the time it made console fps games play good because before it the competition was fps shooters playing at quake speed without aim assist.

Controllers are fucking terrible for that. Halo made controllers play fps games better. That's it.
>>
>>323529621

The point is that Halo popularized the 2 weapon limit. Pretty much every FPS was affected like that. DNF tried to emulate the most succesful FPS, halo included, so of course they ditched the no weapon limit for that shit.

>>323529368

Nigga stfu I'm literally playing the game right now and it does not work this way, it does not fucking work, download the game yourself if you dont believe me, its only 600 mb, download it and go play it again so that you fucking realize that the assault rifle has SHIT accuraccy both on its first and last shot, and that burst firing with it doesnt do shit.
>>
>>323525129
It was really good and fun when it just came out way back when. Sorry you missed its prime.
>>
I was actually considering giving it a try a while back, but now that I hear it has a shitty assault rifle, I probably won't go back to it. Assault rifles and other automatic weapons are my favorites.
>>
>>323529884
>Game does new mechanic
>Blames game for other games having said mechanic
>Not the fault of lazy devs for being unoriginal and not realizing why their own game should not have mechanic

Cool.
>>
>>323530327
You can literally use the Assault Rifle for everything in every difficulty mode but legendary.
Its a cool sounding bullet hose of death on Heroic downward.
>>
>>323525129
No! Fuck no! Try Wolf3D or Doom, kid.
>>
>>323530387
The mechanic only really belongs in hardcore tactical FPSes like SWAT 4 or something. Halo can be blamed for making people think it had a place anywhere else.
>>
>>323525129
Text translated: "I missed out on Halo CE and now im annoyed because its not part of my childhood boo hoo. Why is this not Call of Duty? Why is this challenging? Vehicles in an FPS game??? MUST BE A BATTLEFIELD RIP OFF DDD: Didnt listen to the story cause im a cuck. COD doesnt have weapon mechanics so why should this game? Time to go home and jerk off to Half-Shit 2 hentai"
Cap yourself
>>
>>323530580
Good to know. I'm not really the type to play on the highest difficulty anyway.
>>
>>323530772
Though there is still the matter of the FOV being too small. Once I understood low FOV as the reason some games gave me headaches, I can't not notice it anymore.
>>
>>323530850
Just play it on PC, there's mods for that.
>>
>>323530660
At the time the limit was seen as a creative way to make the player use strategy and play into the unique roles of the different guns. The thing about Halo is that all of these features are what made it unique at the time. Honestly one FPS or another was going to do it, having all the guns at once was so bog standard that it was interesting to see a console shooter not follow the conventions set by PC.

Do you blame the German guy named Auto that made the car for all greenhouse gases today?
>>
File: halotest.jpg (200 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
halotest.jpg
200 KB, 1280x1024
>>323529884
There's no way to get perfect accuracy with the AR, but burst firing does help
>>
>>323525129
Pretty sure it got so much praise because it was one of the first fps games on consoles where you could play with several of your friends on one system with really tight controls (as far as consoles are concerned).

In not saying there weren't games as good or better, just that it brought a lot of good things together. Better control than n64 games, native 4 controller coop/deathmatch and lan capability (which ps2 games lacked), a big world with an epic feel and good ai, large fun multiplayer maps, decent weapons and options for combat.

I'm sure that part of the reason it is remembered so nostalgically is because a lot of anons remember good times with bros, just like goldeneye, which has aged horribly
>>
The problem is you aren't playing multiplayer.. it still exists on pc.
>>
>>323530660
So in other words, unoriginal lazy developers doing money grabs from idiot wannabe gamers?

The developers are out for money, spoiled one-track brat gamers have money. Not to mention these "gamers" are growing in numbers by the second.

Easy cash, just look at Halo 5 seeing as we're in a Halo thread. Modernised crap with tacked on microtransactions meant for one single majorly overhyped game mode.
>>
I don't even play Halo, but I like RvB.
>>
>>323525129
babbies first game
>>
>>323525129

Who told you that? It shaped CONSOLE FPSs.
>>
>>323531402

You're standing less than 10 meters away from that thing.

Try actually getting a distance before making that test, of course you're gonna get nice accuraccy when you're 5 meters away from the target.
>>
This gets released on PC in 2017

wut do?
>>
>>323525129
2 was way better anyways

But it's not like it really matters since you actually aren't playing through it for the first time, considering you already posted a thread stating the exact opposite a couple hours ago. You're just baiting to get people to talk about Halo.
>>
>>323528585
>mechanic that allows for a more aggressive playstyle and makes camping less viable
>bad

Sure dude, have all the opinions you like. The shield was mostly only useful for hopping cover without being whittled down, and making grenades less op. And if you made bad choices, you still had less health than your enemy in a straight up fight with the health bar after the shield
>>
>>323531768
Finish the fight?
>>
File: For what.jpg (823 KB, 2854x3000) Image search: [Google]
For what.jpg
823 KB, 2854x3000
>>323531768
>Halo 3 Anniversary
>>
>>323529292
People didn't stop liking games with more weapons, it just proved that streamlining loadouts wasn't bad because it created an exhilarating air of decision when choosing what weapons to carry while making power weapons more risky
>>
>>323525129
Well it's not 2001 anymore so yeah it's easy to play it for the first time now and not see the big deal.
The vehicles controlling so well blew peoples goddamn minds.
>>
>>323528585
If enemies use hitscan weapons, shields are a better mechanic than a health bar. Otherwise players can't dodge the shots and have to use cover all the time to avoid losing health when running around; reducing any possible risk taking. It why Doom was way more popular than Wolfenstein 3D.

But you can stick with the "regen health so casul, gimme upboats fellow gamrs" if it makes you feel important. You're still a fucking faggot.
>>
>>323532156
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_pAa9252Uo
>>
>>323531709
Uh not him but it's not a long range weapon you fucking troglodyte. You have to be baiting.
>>
>>323532278

The control like shit
>>
>>323532432
Nah
>>
>>323532418

>implying 10 meters is long range.

Have you seen the fucking map size of the game?

most of the times, the enemy will be at least 60-70 meters away from you

10 meters is literally CQC
>>
>>323525129
It was amazing for its time. The aesthetics, the theme, the vehicles, the AI on both the enemy and allies.

Also I hope you're not playing it with a keyboard and mouse, you're missing the core design and point of the game if you are.
>>
>>323531282
I'm not saying the limit mechanic has no right to exist, but FPSes that let you carry all the guns are nearly nonexistent now. Every now and then you get something like Wolfenstein The New Order, but it's rare. I just want some alternatives.
>>
>>323531701
Not really. Even most PC FPSes use the two weapon limit.
>>
>>323533736
Fifty weapons in your inventory just doesn't work tactically on a controller, and most fps want to work well on consoles so they don't lose a sizable chunk of the gaming market.

In not saying it's good, but it makes sense, and can you remember how clunky it was cycling through weapons in shit like goldeneye?
>>
>>323534201
Doesn't excuse why PC games do it too. And there are other ways around it. The first two Red Faction games used two buttons to scroll through a list of the seven or eight guns you could carry. It worked well enough.
>>
>>323534201
Why not just use the d-pad?
>>
>had thread today with a long OP about how CE was good
>8 hours later have a long OP about how CE is shit
Hmmm...

Mods please delete this thread under shitposting, thanks
>>
>>323534364
Slows down the game, and taking your finger off the move stick in an arena shooter or fast paced fps can get you killed real quick. Especially if you're trying to switch to a better option mid fight.

>>323534336
Of you want to release multiplat you have to choose the scheme that works best for every system. Elseways you're going to waste a lot of time coding and balancing for each different iteration, and your final product will suffer somewhere
>>
>>323535073
>Slows down the game
How? It can be used as 4 different weapon slots. You can use your index finger for switching.
>>
>>323534836
At first i thought this was the same thread.

But this really isn't shitposting. Wait until we get two more almost identical threads within hours of each other first
>>
>>323525129
Sounds like you need to git gud, you waited too long to play this game and you're begging for attention in general.
>>
> legendary only turns enemies into bullet sponges so every encounter is boring as fuck.

No it doesn't you fuck. This is one of the few games where turning up the difficulty actually makes enemies with different weapons appear.
>>
>>323526140
>great AI (dodging nades, nading you if you tried to take cover, lots of shits)
No, it had good AI because it worked as a team, elites would actively flank you with grunts, and grunts would run scared shitless if you killed the elites, only to find another group and hunt you again. It wasn't a very advanced system like F.E.A.R. had, but it was really clever and worked well with the environments. Them using grenades properly was just icing on the cake.
>>
>>323535258
Yea, you're right

I'll be waiting to see the good old "babby's first fps" meme pic when I wake up
>>
>>323535246
On ps4, yeah. Still going to be awkward, and if there are pickups for weapons it'll basically be the same as two weapons but a bit clunkier. I mean, gears and last of us didn't do too bad with a multi weapon select, but they were both much slower games
>>
>>323526335
>unfortunately the sequels removed a lot of the freedom and control the CE vehicles had
Wrong, they made vehicles even better and had bigger maps to fuck around in.
>>323526627
>You use it on the covenant and you're fucked.
The pattern of fire gets wider the longer you press the button. If you shoot in short bursts it deals ridiculous amounts of damage and takes down elite shields in seconds.
>>
>>323535357
Different weapons and better tactics. Although it does also make shielded enemies a lot more of a pain because they'll hide like bitches and waste a lot of your ammo
>>
>>323528585
What do you know about shooter mechanics anyway, sonypony? If we need to learn about turn based combat or QTEs, we'll ask for your opinion.
>>
>>323529884
>it does not work this way, it does not fucking work
It totally works, and it works great.
>>
>>323531282
>At the time the limit was seen as a creative way to make the player use strategy and play into the unique roles of the different guns.
I think it's a clever compromise on the key limit on controllers. On PC shooters you have all the number keys to bind a weapon to each, which lets you switch between them seamlessly. Bungie worked around their limitations and found a good compromise: only carry 2 guns you can switch between, but have weapon drops all over the levels. It's clever shit like this that put halo on the spotlight.
>>
>>323531607
That sure is a lot of words for saying nothing at all.
>>
>>323535453
Some good fun was had in halo 2 with catch and sputnik skulls on. Also some salty, salty tears
>>
>>323526140
>pretty sure no other game before this one actually had a dedicated nade button
Team Fortress Classic had not only one, but TWO dedicated grenade buttons. Each class had a primary frag grenade (f) and a secondary special grenade (g).
>>
>>323525129
You never played it with friends.

I played it with my brother for the first time in a long time just co-oping the campaign and it was the most fun we had together in a long time. We ended up trying to take the warthog with us through out the whole level in Silent Cartographer, we ended up squeezing it down a small hole to get it to a lower level and managed to get it into the map room, but struggled to get it back to the surface.
>>
>>323536226
And lo and behold, it became a grenade-spamming festival.
>>
>>323535738
Plasma weapons are good for shields.
>>
File: coldsnap.jpg (28 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
coldsnap.jpg
28 KB, 639x479
The only good part of Halo 1 was Custom Edition.

Pic related: Coldsnap. The best map.
>>
>>323536354
Yeah, but sometimes there's just too many bastards to get to the right range.
>>
File: H5 AR long range bursting.webm (3 MB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
H5 AR long range bursting.webm
3 MB, 1000x563
CE's SP has aged poorly.

>>323531402
>mfw poppin niggas like 50m away with the h5 AR

if nothing else halo 5 has fantastic fucking weapon balance
>>
>>323536482
>Custom Edition
I didn't even know this was a thing.
>>
>>323536754
whoa whoa whoa at like 3-4 seconds into that webm did he accidentally shoot himself in the knee? is that possible?
>>
>>323525129
It was shit then and it's shit now, however for people who have never played a proper FPS before it it's now old enough for nostalgia googles
>>
>>323536482
Coldsnap sucked shit just like the rest of the LOLMASSIVEMAPWITHNOTHINGINIT shit maps
>>
>>323536907
Pretty sure you could do that in the older games that let you see you legs
>>
>>323538072
Nigga, they needed to be huge to accommodate the aircrafts.
>>
Enemies are bullet spongy if you're a shitter. Headshots/Plasma Pistol for shields is pretty much easy mode.
>>
File: 1383888982274.png (166 KB, 286x252) Image search: [Google]
1383888982274.png
166 KB, 286x252
>>323525129
>The main weapon
>>
It is a very mediocre title in the genre only hyped up by slightly retarded dewritos console kids.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.