[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I play the original MM or the 3DS remake? I beat OOT a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 18
Should I play the original MM or the 3DS remake? I beat OOT a couple of times but never got around to Majora's.
>>
Original, the 3DS remake is decent but it removes some stuff.
>>
>>323523205

adds the ability to perma save anywhere and makes jumping in time less of a commitment since it can be controlled rather than in 12 hour intervals

more convenient in every way but allegedly removes some 'tension'
>>
>>323523205
I thought they added things. What did they remove?
>>
>>323523441
The only thing I know they removed was the swim (now requires the magic shield).

I still have the original gold hologram MM, and I'd say the remake is the far superior game.
>>
I would say play the original if only to experience the original time mechanic and have a bigger screen.

Then just play the remake afterwards if you want to 100% it.
>>
I think the 3DS remake is better mostly for the better inventory menu, easier to save your game and keep track of the side quests you've done
N64 does have better boss fights though
>>
It doesn't really matter. The graphics are sharper with new textures and more polys but you could argue that it removes some atmosphere. I tend to lean towards original version unless there's a notable advantage to a remake though. I like to be on the same terms as the people who played it when it was new.
>>
>>323524015
Yeah, the remake boss fights were a little more difficult.

Oh yeah, remember something else removed. Ice arrows cannot freeze water willy-nilly. It requires special glowy spots to create ice on water. A needless removal, imo, along with removing the zora swift swim (now only activates when using the shield)
>>
I've played the original to death, would it be a waste of money to buy the remake just as an excuse to play it again?
>>
File: dean scream.gif (280 KB, 400x319) Image search: [Google]
dean scream.gif
280 KB, 400x319
>>323524357
It's pretty fun having it on the go, that's why I ended up getting OOT 3D.

>tfw finally able to play OOT and MM during long car rides like I always dreamed of as a kid
>>
>>323523062
Either one is perfectly fine. At their cores their the exact same game with minor differences to gameplay. They didnt remove anything like some are saying. They just tweaked it.
>>
>>323523062
I'm going to say the original. The remake is fine, but I think the original has better feeling physics in the transformation forms, and you get a better appreciation of the time system.

The changes aren't all that substantial though.

>>323524357
I did and I didn't really like it, it just made me want to play the original.
>>
File: cartoon-car-crash.gif (59 KB, 750x592) Image search: [Google]
cartoon-car-crash.gif
59 KB, 750x592
>>323524650
>tfw you are the one driving
>>
>>323524781
Shit meant they're in place of their. Fucking hate posting on mobile.
>>
>>323523062
3ds version is the better version, unlike OoT
>>
>>323524951
Thanks for letting us know! Was losing sleep over it! :^)
>>
>>323523062
Fedora's Mask is awful, skip it.
>>
File: Angelica.jpg (24 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Angelica.jpg
24 KB, 320x240
>People unironically saying the 3DS saving is an improvement

How to tell if someone played the Collector's Edition version that crashes every 20 minutes.
>>
>>323525562
It crashed? I owned it and I don't remember it crashing.
>>
>>323526131
There are a couple points in the game where it has a 20% or so chance of crashing. The first time you enter Great Bay is a big one.

This is only the GameCube port though.
>>
>>323526131
It doesn't, that's just a meme
>>
>>323526131
He probably threw his 3DS at his wall and broke it when his mom told him she wasn't making him hotpockets anymore
>>
>>323525562
>>People unironically saying the 3DS saving is an improvement

How is it not?
>>
>had the original gold cart
>tried to hide it from my brother so he couldnt play it
>lost it forever

It's been like fucking 10 years and I still have no idea where that fucking cart went.
>>
>>323526497

Because it breaks the tension and now you can save scum
>>
>>323526830
What tension, you dickless loser? It's a video game, it's not tense.
>>
>>323526830
Not even just that you can savescum which you could do in the USA version if you were determined enough, but it kind of killed the point of having the Song of Time. Instead of Link resetting time because something bad happened, now you reset the console because something bad happened. That was a depressing change.
>>
>Brother had the original gold cart
>Hid it so I couldn't play it
>Found it, traded it to my friend for some sweet yu-gi-oh cards
>He never found out

Serves him right.
>>
>>323526962

>I have never played a horror game
>>
File: wtkQVKj.jpg (312 KB, 1450x480) Image search: [Google]
wtkQVKj.jpg
312 KB, 1450x480
remake is literal shit. they removed all the charm of the N64 original
>>
>>323526830
>>323527126
You CAN, you don't have to.
You can still play it exactly like you did before if you so choose.

>>323527506
There are more areas in the game besides Astral Observatory, friend.
Yes, that area looks bland now but that hardly takes ALL of the charm of the original, come the fuck on.
>>
Remake has better frame rate and looks better overall. Also, having it on the go is great.
>>
>>323527868

That same line of reasoning applies to MGS: TTS.
>>
>>323528015
I agree.
I liked Twin Snakes.
>>
>>323527868
I think just having the option to savescum and circumvent the game's built-in savescumming hurts it. It's hard to explain, but there was a really good reason it worked like that originally and the new system loses that.

It'd be like if they remade Nier and subtitled all the shadows by default, or if they remade Demon's Souls and gave it an easy mode.
>>
>>323523062
play both, emulate the n64 one and play it first then remake which i guess you could also emulate now
>>
>>323528015
Im not a fan of twin snakes and prefer the original
>>
>>323528645
I see your point.
I don't agree with it, but I see what you mean.

I guess I don't agree because I still enjoy Majora's Mask for reasons that have little to do with the save system.
>>
File: 1401922873599.jpg (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1401922873599.jpg
76 KB, 500x500
I'm playing the remake for the first time right now

I don't like some changes regarding the IN YOUR FACE approach the remake took with handling events

>mask salesman finishes his speech
>anti climatic "oh by the way that huge glowing stone will help you if you are lost"
>new bomber book pausing everything instead of just showing a little box like the original to let the player look at it when he feels like it

There are many changes like these I'm not enjoying at all but it has been a fun ride with much better performance

Nintendo needs to get their shit together with these "hints and tutorials" and make them something that doesn't get in the way like it was used in the OoT3D remake

They also turned Odolwa into a bigger joke
>>
Boss battles in 3ds are now shit.
>>
File: mm-hug.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mm-hug.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
>>323532050
I'm the anon from above but I've fought Odolwa and Goht so far and both have been pretty underhwleming compared to their N64 selves

I know you can cheese Goht in the original but if you decide to fight him like it's supposed to then you have to hit him like 6 times as a goron

In the remake all I did was touch him and he fell to reveal the weakspot and burn it with fire arrows

I hope the other two aren't as bad
>>
>>323531845
It also bothers me deeply that the stairs in the observatory are no longer rainbow colored.
It's a little thing.
But damn it that mattered to me.
>>
File: Hero'scharm.jpg (127 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Hero'scharm.jpg
127 KB, 400x400
>>323531845
>>323532683
>yfw it was a reference to the Seven Sages and the fact that Shikashi's Hyrulean counterpart mentions the Sacred Realm and tells that lady in Castletown who he's speaking to about it.

I bought MM3D at release but I'm getting nervous about playing from all I've heard and what you just reinforced. I'm playing Master Quest 3D, and it's so refreshing to not have to see those stupid Sheikah Stones in the Temple of Time or Kokiri Forest reminding you that this is a remake.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>323533537
>>yfw it was a reference to the Seven Sages and the fact that Shikashi's Hyrulean counterpart mentions the Sacred Realm and tells that lady in Castletown who he's speaking to about it.

You lost me at Shikashi
>>
File: homer vomit.png (400 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
homer vomit.png
400 KB, 640x480
>>323533537
>Master Quest
fuck that abomination.
>>
File: Professor-Shikashi.png (60 KB, 171x287) Image search: [Google]
Professor-Shikashi.png
60 KB, 171x287
>>323533835
this chap
>>
>>323525132
Agreed. The original is massively flawed and discourages thorough exploration.
>>
File: SSCrooConcept.jpg (142 KB, 943x968) Image search: [Google]
SSCrooConcept.jpg
142 KB, 943x968
>>323533835
Shikashi is the Astral Observatory guy's name.

He's a character in OoT first seen in Castle Town.

When you notice him, he's standing next to a blue woman with her hand to her face. If you run up to them, they part ways as if they just finished a conversation. Talking to Shikashi makes him say:
"Have you heard the legend of the
"Shadow Folk"?
They are the Sheikah...the shadows
of the Hylians.
They say they swore allegiance to
the King of Hyrule and guarded
the Royal Family.
But with the long peace, no one
has seen a Sheikah around here
for a long time.
However...

I heard there is one Sheikah
woman living in the castle.."

And talking to the woman makes her say "Did you know the entrance to the Sacred Realm is the Temple of Time?"

The Sages are colored like a rainbow. Shikashi has rainbow staircases because he's the "sagely old man" trope and knew about them in OoT. That's why he's interested in meeting Impa.
>>
>>323528645
>I think just having the option to savescum and circumvent the game's built-in savescumming hurts it.

If that had any effect on the game's gameplay whatsoever, then I would agree. However, all it generally means in effect is that you have to mechanically repeat the shit you've already worked out, which only wastes a bunch or your time.

Conversely, the new save mechanics only add to the experience of the game's greatest strength, which is not the oppressive atmosphere, but the NPC interaction. Being able to 'savescum' means that he player actually now has the means and freedom to experiment wit various ways of interacting with the characters, but without having to commit immediately to one course of action along with specifically sinking time in, even to check out a single thing.
>>
>>323527506
Dude, that area was made way better. Now the observatory dome, which you are conveniently not showing, looks much better, and the stairs actually look like something, instead of rainbow vomit.
>>
>>323533537
Wut?
>>
File: yhgbvuiojk.jpg (54 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
yhgbvuiojk.jpg
54 KB, 720x960
>>323525562
Funny thing about the collectors edition I noticed.

I extracted the rom from the game disc and played it on my everdrive. That rom had the same slowdowns as being played on GCN suggesting the devs made it work without the expension pack. Even using a dumped cartridge rom on my everdrive it played without the slowdowns the gcn rom had.

/Autism
>>
Original, then remake.
>>
>>323532534
First time I played against Goht when I was a kid, I just stood by the door, waited for him to pass, and hit him with a fire arrow. Rinse and repeat.
>>
File: for retards.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
for retards.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
>>323536932
You dont get the fire arrow until the 2nd dungeon.

How did you do it on a fresh run?
>>
File: 1439002085207.jpg (27 KB, 343x356) Image search: [Google]
1439002085207.jpg
27 KB, 343x356
>>323537026
>>
File: tumblr_m2hhvjRYBL1r9413r.gif (423 KB, 245x210) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m2hhvjRYBL1r9413r.gif
423 KB, 245x210
>>323536547
>/Autism

Stop that. What you said was fascinating, and yet you had to ruin it with that tripe at the end like a petulant child. Grow up and understand you don't have to let /v/ make you who you are. Assert your own individuality.
>>
>>323537026
Please be fake.
>>
Both are good OP. as a majorafag, here's my thoughts about the 3ds verrsion:

Good:
>Much better models and textures, and improved lighting/particles that with 1 exception preserve the atmosphere and for the most part still feels creepy
>Gyorg fight is better
>Doesn't make you rewatch the business scrub cutscene
>Better framerate
>Song of double time allowing you to choose specific times to fast foward to.
>Gyro arrow controls
>Fishing
>if you have a n3ds/xl, you have camera rotation/control via c nub

Neutral:
>The bombers notebook is a little less obtuse and more organic to use, but it's also a little too helpful.
>Likewise, the save system is less obtuse, but allowing you to save without it being attached to going back in timee also removes some of the stress the game is meant to invoke, but you can impose thee limit artificially anyways.
>Twinmold fight is different but not better or worse
>Bank placement is moved

Bad
>Odolwa fight was made very easy, especially with the deku mask.
>Ice arrows can't be used just anywhere anymore.
>Zora swimming less fun, which outweighs the benefit of easier control in tight spaces.
>Bombers notebook pops up automatically and takes a while to do so, is annoying
>You have to get out of rolling as goron to hit Goht, but this isn't nearrly as bad as Odolwa's change
>It's harder to use the Deku spin to go faster (super minor)
>Great bay temple's atmosphere is changed due to less gritty textures and brighter lighting
>Feels very slightly less creepy due to better models. I'm a pretentious 2deep5u majora's mask fan and I still think it's only barely almost negligibly worse here, except for the moon which is not insignificantly worse, but it's still a minor thing overall

>>323532534
Gyorg is way better in the 3ds version, and I thnk twinmold better too but twinmold can go either way depending on your tastes
>>
File: 1442665828810.png (403 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1442665828810.png
403 KB, 640x480
>>323537026
But...Goht is in the second dungeon.
>>
File: kaz'.png (930 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kaz'.png
930 KB, 1280x720
>>323537264
I dont even know why I put /autism in. This place is gettin to me.
>>
>>323537304
This is pasta but I still agree with it
>>
>>323537358
I was thinking Oldawa.

My bad.Probably because I never even use the fire arrow on him. Always goron bashed his ass
>>
>>323526830
that, among other things.
>>
>>323528645
did you just drop a nier spoiler?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.