[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it me or are games seemly less violent then ever before? There's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: 2300291-manhunt.jpg (138 KB, 789x1116) Image search: [Google]
2300291-manhunt.jpg
138 KB, 789x1116
Is it me or are games seemly less violent then ever before? There's plenty of violence in zombie games, but now you dont get stuff like Manhunt 1, at least from AAA developers that often. Especially since before they were pretty gungho about violence. Now its just red puffs coming from bodies.

What happened?
>>
There's some of the old ultraviolence around (MK is still cranking out sequels) but it just seems like people have gotten over it.

We've seen that incredibly detailed gore doesn't equate to good games, and that the average player isn't so much a gorehound that they'll buy a game purely for it (see the Splatterhouse reboot).

tldr; It doesn't sell anymore, so they aren't making it.
>>
>>323517023
There a way more violent games than Manhunt nowadays
Its just the context of Manhunt that triggers SWJ
>>
>>323517435
Splatterhouse reboot wasnt that bad...but what does sell now? It certainly isnt so much cinematic experiences or military shooters.

>>323517457
Is the context that shocking nowadays? I wonder what the opinion would be if Manhunt got remade, or a third game with the same tone/content
>>
>>323517023
Damn, they need to make another Manhunt game.

This game had so much memorable shit in it, from the smiley mask-wearing insane asylum members, to the bad ass military Ramirez dude, to the man in the pig mask...
>>
>>323517670

Splatterhouse was a case of trying to pump up the gore but not having good enough mechanics to flesh it out.

As for what sells, it's all about intellectual masturbation. People love when games have themes or statements that make them feel like geniuses for understanding the references. They also love "twists" in their stories.
>>
>>323517023
It should be a requirement for military games

There's nothing more boring than blowing up someone with a rocket or C4 in a Battlefield game and only seeing a body go flying. Gib that fucker, this game is rated M for a reason.
>>
File: 1446423131588.webm (3 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
1446423131588.webm
3 MB, 900x506
It's just you.
>>
>>323518436
What game is that? Thats brutal.
>>
>>323518436
>one cutscene
>the screams sound like he's super bored
the twist is literally both he was dead the entire time and it was all a dream
what a shitty campaign
>>
>>323518629
i liked it. It felt really surreal. And you actually felt like a Black Ops agent. Nothing but you, your partner and your handler. You didnt have anyone at all to report to, being entirely on your own.

Also, the fucking movement augmentations. Christ that shit was fun.
>>
>>323518570
The newest Call of Duty.
>>
File: 1449609526427.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449609526427.jpg
277 KB, 1920x1080
>>323517023
Games like Manhunt made people desensitized to violence in video games to the point where you can't solely sell a game on the blood and gore anymore. Best you're gonna get is some moron taking a part of the trailer out of context and think it's a racist game by neo Nazis like Hatred.
>>
>>323517023
Western society has gone full pussy, the original Soldier of Fortune had limbs coming off and violent headshots, games have gone backwards due to SJW pressure
>>
>>323518869
Alright now, seriously.
>>
>>323517023
manhunt was literally the only game of its kind though. how can you judge an entire age of games by one game that was a complete and total outlier?
>>
>>323519152
I am not joking. This one is fucking weird. Just read the last bit of the plot synopsis on Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops_III
>>
>>323519152
>Alright now, seriously.

He was being serious.
>>
>>323518436
You should have posted something like Splatterhouse or God of War where there's gore throughout the entire game instead of just one moment from a relatively tame game.
>>
>>323519090

Funny, since Killing Floor 2 is basically going to be SoF with even more gibs, and it's being made by an apparently SJW-riddled company.
>>
File: THE DARKNESS.webm (1004 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
THE DARKNESS.webm
1004 KB, 1280x720
ultraviolence like that is just silly. It doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of weight. IT's shit kids like.

Precision violence, that hits you hard and unexpectedly is much more brutal.
>>
>>323519279
>>323519362
What? This is Call of Duty? What made a AAA publisher greenlight this?
>>
>>323517023
The shock of video game violence has officially died off. Society has either become accepting or desensitized to outlandish violence in most media. All the controversies today have to do gender/sexual issues.

It is how these things work. Look it the Wild Bunch--a late sixties western that was initially slapped with a X Rating in the USA for unmentionable violence. There is no gore/dismember, just lots of guys clutching their chests and bellies as squibs of fake blood rocket off. I bet it plays on TV with minimal to no editing during primetime. Times change.
>>
>>323518436
Holy shit when I first saw this I was wincing like a bitch and I usually won't. It was intense, say what you will about COD but they really have been doing cool shit with their campaigns lately, especially this gen.
>>
>>323519567
I highly doubt Killing Floor 2 will ever reach the level of gore the Ghoul Engine had. In SoF 2 you could slice the skin off of someone's face with a knife.
>>
>>323517023
Gears of War series and hotline miami are pretty violent. Although I admit that Hotline by being a pixel top down shooter isn't in the same realm as manhunt was.
>>
>>323519647

meant to quote

>>323519506
>>
>>323519723
gears of war is goofy
>>
>>323519647
>>323519740
OP is talking about incredibly ultra violent games though. Even then what you're talking about still isn't that bad compared to something like Condemned. That game was incredibly brutal despite the only limb coming off throughout the entire game being one of your fingers.
>>
>>323519686

KF2 has a gun that microwaves a creature's innards until they explode, and each monster has different gibs for that specific weapon.
>>
>>323519647
>ultraviolence like that is just silly
No it isn't. Every shooter shout have Gears of War or SoF style gore. It's retarded that a player can take have a grenade explode next to them and their ragdoll simply drops to the ground.
>>
>>323520059
gears of war gore is fucking retarded anon. You cant smack someones head off by hitting it with a gun like a golf club. Or blow up their head by stepping on it.
>>
>>323520059
RO2 did it best where despite there being a ton of gore it's hardly noticeable unless something really horrible happened nearby. Like seeing five of your guys get hit by a mortar out of no where.
>>
I really did like manhunt and am hoping for another. Games do seem a little less violent compared to Manhunt and SOF. I mean I do see that it can be a gimmick but like a Tarantino movie, a game can be violent and interesting.
>>
>>323517023
hyper-violence went out of style. Its just not as shocking as it used to be and without that theres not a lot of point to hyper-violence.

I never saw the appeal in the first place to be honest. If its your thing thats cool i guess but personally im quite happy with the level of gore we get in most games.
>>
>>323520206
I mean it should have gore where limbs can be ripped off and the body can be shredded. Ridiculous execution animations are another story.
>>
A sequel with the RAGE engine would be a IS dream
>>
>>323519674
Barely anyone plays the campaign anyway and they've been really pushing the kind of shit they're allowed to show in the past few campaigns.
>>
>>323519680
CoD campaigns are always amazing.
I don't know why the multiplayer is as popular as it is, but I fucking love to play through the campaigns.
I even liked Ghosts.
Treyarch releases are always my favorites.
>That mind fuck at the end of the first Black Ops
>>
>>323517023
virtual violence is worse than real violence because it says it's okay to people that wouldn't normally do those kinds of things.
get over it, and accept a better age of gaming.
>>
File: I don't feel so good.jpg (114 KB, 1190x818) Image search: [Google]
I don't feel so good.jpg
114 KB, 1190x818
>>323519680
>>323523002
>these people are serious
>>
File: call_of_duty_beach.jpg (37 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
call_of_duty_beach.jpg
37 KB, 500x375
>>323524273
Don't even try to pretend this wasn't the tightest shit.
>>
File: smileys.jpg (111 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
smileys.jpg
111 KB, 540x405
>>323517023
I posted this is the other rockstar thread too.

Im hoping they revamp manhunt the way they revamped red dead revolver to a good game like red dead redemption.

Manhunt could be about a special forces unit that kills groups like isis by using their own crazy execution/internet snuff vid methods. Making it into a military game is probably the only way to keep it away from the "censorship" controversy.

They could just explain the games high level of violence by saying "we'll this is how war really is"
>>
>>323524623
>is

in* oops
>>
>>323517685

Imagine a modern Manhunt with R*'s level of TECHNOLOGY and Attention to Detail they had for Max Payne 3/New GTAs.

That would be pretty brutal.
>>
>>323524623
You have no idea how incredibly good that idea is. It's relevant, it's original. It's just plain necessary, a serious game studio needs to make a political horror game already. Spec Ops: the Line is not enough.
>>
>>323524623
>>323525905
>Inglorious Bastards: The Game
>>
>>323519674
>What made a AAA publisher greenlight this/.

13 year old boys that are obsessed with violence in their games and movies?
>>
Why did Postal 3 have to be so shit?
>>
>>323518436
What's with that framerate?
>>
>>323525905
>You have no idea how incredibly good that idea is

yes i do! i love video games. If i could just waltz into the game industry to be involved in makeing games forever i would but, we all know the worlds retarded and doesn't allow it...

thanks for saying its a good idea though ^_^
>>
>>323519674

You're kidding, right?

Has no one in this thread every played through a campaign of CoD?
>>
>>323524623
>special forces unit filming themselves competing to see who can kill da turrists in the most violent ways
>"we'll this is how war really is"
>>
violence in shooters is super boring because you kill something and move on to the next thing mechanically without paying attention, manhunt had that eerie factor because everything was tense and slow paced and not just violent, it played it´s cards well, playing dmc won´t impact you with the blood because you are too busy having fun making combos
>>
File: BRRRRRRRRRTTT.jpg (60 KB, 700x430) Image search: [Google]
BRRRRRRRRRTTT.jpg
60 KB, 700x430
>>323526934
It pretty much is. You can look up Russian and Syrian jets bombing the shit out of isis and isis put out there own vids. US special forces wear go-pro type cams and show off their kills to each other. Its all happening already.

and drones/robots are on the rise. All that footage is going to be shown off to.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.