[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open World Gimmick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1348692583417.png (691 KB, 656x1000) Image search: [Google]
1348692583417.png
691 KB, 656x1000
Has any game done "Open world" right last year?

Will this gimmick ever end soon?

>MGSV
Utterly lifeless and empty world dotted with military camps. No real incentive to explore on your own because there's literally nothing to explore.

>Witcher3
Takes a leaf right out of AssCreeds book and litters the world with collectables and "points of interest" which aren't interesting at all and just chests with loot. Every village is the same and exists just to pick up more fetch/kill quests.

>AssCreed Syndicate
lol

And so on.

It's really getting boring at this point how most open world games are basically a clone of one another with different skins on top.
>>
>gimmick

epic meme
>>
>>323475376
It's a gimmick just like the FPS craze was before this. And it should eventually die just like that so the game industry can move onto another dead dog to beat.

Open world was only new and exciting the first few times, now everyone knows every trick in the book.
>>
Zelda U will be the first!
>>
fallout 4
>>
>>323476293
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: ACS 2015-11-20 21-01-34-51.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ACS 2015-11-20 21-01-34-51.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>323474854
Syndicate was pretty cool though. I mean sure the actual game was shit but the setting and atmosphere were great.
>>
Until Stalker gets revived traditional open world will remain a meme
>>
Xenoblade X.
>>
>>323476637
It's no good if it just looks pretty but has no sustenance.

They could have done so much more, with the gang system for example:
>Lots of different London street gangs with various strengths, weaknesses and gimmicks
>Deploy troops on the street where you say so to patrol, defend and raid
>Build and upgrade outposts in old run down factories and other buildings depending on the area
>Dress your gang up in different outfits and colouring, you can unlock more by beating gangs and from quests
>Direct them to attack other gang territory and engage in all out street warfare
>You can help them in the fight or trust them to it with the upgrades and investments you put into them while going about your missions
>you get gang "leaders" who you assign to lead various missions and they gain experience completing them
>leaders are gained from side missions or spending money to recruit them
>leaders of sufficient rank and experience can be trained into assassins to follow you
>>
>>323474854
there is literally no benefit to making a game open world other than "hurr i get to explore and get further and further away from beating the game"

you can still have sidequests without open world.
>>
>>323477348
Yeah I agree the gang management was way too barebones. I also would have liked more incentive for exploring all the cool buildings. Maybe stuff like the puzzles and assassin tombs from AC2.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.