[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been playing for maybe three hours, and I'm not quite sure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14
File: etrian odyssey 4.jpg (86 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
etrian odyssey 4.jpg
86 KB, 620x349
Been playing for maybe three hours, and I'm not quite sure I get what's up with this game.

Maybe I've just built my party wrong or am not using skills properly, but it seems like after every couple fights someone dies and I have to leave the dungeon. Usually the items I get from fights aren't enough to cover the costs of the clinic, another Ariadne's Thread, and the inn, so I'm pretty much always operating at a loss.

As a result of having to leave the dungeon so often, it feels like it takes a ton of time to level up. I'm only level 7 now, and I think going from 6 to 7 took me around 30 minutes of grinding low-level monsters. I imagine the FOEs give more exp., but I can't even beat them.

Am I doing something wrong?
Does anyone have any general tips?
>>
>>323432192
I haven't played 4 yet, but I assume it's just like the rest.

You really shouldn't be operating at a loss. You never have to use Ariadne thread, it just saves time.

Gathering Point items sell for the most, so if you see one of those and money is still an issue, go straight for them.
>>
>>323432192
run back and forth gathering and selling shit. do that until when you have enough money to properly deck out your team.
>>
>>323432192
Leave to rest BEFORE someone dies.
Walk back to town instead of using a Thread, especially if you're just 2 floors from town. Threads are a last resort, especially if you can't earn the gold for one within a few fights.

Also yeah, early game involves lots of grinding at first. Sell some monster parts to unlock new gear, upgrade your gear, get stronger, delve deeper etc etc.

It's a slow increase in power, but that's what makes it comfy.
>>
>>323432192
Just because they're random encounters it doesn't mean you can just brush those fights off with auto attack, specially at early levels you need to use TP skills against the weakest enemy anyway.
>>
Are you playing 4? Because that's the easiest. Just go wild on TP usage. You'll unlock a shortcut every third of a floor anyway.
>>
I just started playing this too OP. Pick up that shit on the world map and sell all the shit you get from fights if you don't already. That should more than cover the bills. Everyone tends to say this, but buffs/debuffs are quite important for both bosses and regular enemies and having someone constantly debuffing each turn is usually helpful and doesn't require much TP.

Personally, what I'm afraid of is that I'm unintentionally grinding too much as I haven't had much trouble with any FOES even with my Medic being pretty much a useless slot right now.
>>
Please don't let this thread die, I actually like this game
>>
>>323433860
>It's a slow increase in power, but that's what makes it comfy.
I don't quite know why, but I agree. The beginning of an EO game is always fun to me.
>>
I thought 4 was pretty easy compared to U1. What's your party like? You do realize that being on the front row make you take (and deal) more damage?
>>
>>323436129
>>323433860
I disagree as fuck.
Early game in any RPG where you only have 1 or 2 skills besides "attack" per character/unit sucks ass. Even worse when one or more of those are "passive" skills, and even worse is when you have to build them up because their very first stage sucks ass until at least the half-way point to its respective maximum. Worst of all is not having the MP/AP/EP/TP/whatever to use them more than maybe twice or so each time you leave town.

One thing that 4 did that I wish the others did was give you a no-requirement "class"-passive off the bat that overall made that class better, such as the "TP regen" for fortress and dancers having the passive that made their dances last longer. It wasn't much, but you could feel the difference right away, and in some cases, allowed sub-classing to have more advantages.

Untold 1 and 2 were better in regards to leveling and unlocking skills, but dropping the class-passive was pretty shit of them. Untold 2 kind of made up for it by remixing the force system.

Now, I'm not calling EO and equivalent RPGs shit, just the early game. It's usually around or soon after the first non-"midboss" boss that I feel that things really get good and pick up. To give a more concrete example for EO, around when you get to the second actual stratum/area/dungeon/whatever depending on the game. By then, you have a bigger chunk of abilities to mess around with, your early abilities are now leveled to be actually useful, and your stats allow you to experiment, exploit, and endure much more than those starting few steps.
>>
EO3 was pretty hard at the start, you had to run back and forth to level up a bit and rest till you can handle the first floor fine
you could also create a full farmer party and farm stuff and sell to get some starting pots and gear
>>
>>323432192
What's your team?
>>
>>323437182
This guy gets it

The very early game in RPGs sucks because you have so few options.

Most games will lock you into whatever skills you pick too, so you won't know if your choices were shit until you get much deeper into the game.

EO series, thankfully, allows respecs for a modest tradeoff.
>>
>>323437719
Now it does.
Back in the day, reset cost 10 fucking levels.

One thing I do appreciate about reset still costing (thankfully less) levels, is that you can fix any instance of shit like a monster killing one or more ally, and making your levels uneven. Not a huge issue for anyone who isn't a sick fuck like me, but it helps with planning a bit.
>>
>>323436129
Starting game is the best. To have this new party going out on an adventure, gathering stuff, doing quests and shit
Later it becomes a chore with redoing the floors and grinding to reach further and further
>>
Anon from earlier, when does Medic come into its own? Right now mine doesn't really do anything except heal during FOE fights every now and then. I have them using a lightning rune from a weapon but it feels like a waste of a slot compared to one of the other classes who could just use Medicas or something when necessary instead.
>>
>>323438147
Medics are better past the mid game when you have enough TP to actually heal.
And once you get Auto-Revive and Auto-Heal, it actually becomes hard to die, especially if you have more than one Medic.
Knockout Blow and Star Drop are actually both really useful too.
>>
>>323437530
Landschnekt(?) and Fortress in front
Medic, Sniper, and Runemaster in back
>>
>>323438762
>Knockout Blow and Star Drop are actually both really useful too.
Fucking this. Heavy Strike and Knockout Blow saved my ass more times than I care to count, especially when an enemy is charging up their super special "fuck you" attack.
>>
>>323438762
I'm happy that putting points into Heavy Strike hasn't been a complete waste then, I've yet to see it proc.
>>
>>323438934
>landsnack will never be as good as EO4 again
What asshole thought bringing chasers back was a good idea over changing them to elemental links?
>>
>>323439274
It depends on when you use it, I think.
Like I said, best time to go for it is when a boss or even normal enemy is charging up.
That said, I've had it proc other times as well, so you may just have a bad case of the RNGs.
>>
File: 1437452373832.png (326 KB, 734x1349) Image search: [Google]
1437452373832.png
326 KB, 734x1349
>>323438762
>using medic after you get arcanists
>>
>>323436437

Literally just finished the story mode of U1 a few days ago and I am so mad

>HURR DURR NOBODY KNOWS WHAT WE DID LOL I GUESS WE'RE THE UNSUNG HEROES HAHA LMAO XD

>>323432192

Post team comp, OP
>>
>>323439421
reverse image failed.

anyone know the sauce of this image?
>>
File: first FOE encounter.gif (2 MB, 350x248) Image search: [Google]
first FOE encounter.gif
2 MB, 350x248
>>323432192
Sweet! I think the other anons helped out a lot already, but I have a general rule of thumb with FOE's: If you can defeat the FOE from 3 floors ago without much of a struggle, you're over leveled. The FOE's are meant to be avoided (90% of the time), so don't focus on them. They are usually there just as an added challenge while navigating around the map. I've only played the Untold remakes though, so not sure if it's different for 4.

One thing that these games do is force you to rely on strategy rather than grinding, even though grinding is required at times too. Later floors have you surviving much longer as you power-creep and are basically increasing your powers rather than trying to acquire new ones.

Have you been updating their skill tree each time they level up? Updating their armor/weapons? Selling everything you got? Applying to quests? Those all help with strengthening your team.

I just got into this series like 7 months ago with the Untold remakes, so after I'm done with them I'm going to try out 4 myself. Keep at it and face the challenge, you can do it OP!
>>
File: puke girl.jpg (8 KB, 201x201) Image search: [Google]
puke girl.jpg
8 KB, 201x201
>>323439529
>story mode
I tried it in U2 for about an hour and I went back to normal. Shame about the unlockable stuff though.
>>
>>323439421
>relying on a mediocre turn-based regen instead of instant healing
Fuck that.
>>
>>323432192
4?
Get Runes and Nightseekers, one Fort for the front line is fine I guess
>>
File: 1315947579259.jpg (14 KB, 100x124) Image search: [Google]
1315947579259.jpg
14 KB, 100x124
>>323439748
>I've only played the Untold remakes though
Then stop giving advice about games you haven't played.
>>
>>323439748
Oh and one more thing OP: Don't be too intimidated by Stratum boss fights. When I first started out I almost quit after my first Stratum boss, thinking I screwed up early on and needed to restart. The boss fights are usually very predictable, like the enemies, but again rely more on strategy than anything. Another great tip I got: Learn how to use binds (head, arm, leg binds) as quick as you can. I can't tell you how many times binds saved my butt during fights, completely turning the fight in my favor.
>>
>>323439748
>The FOE's are meant to be avoided (90% of the time), so don't focus on them. They are usually there just as an added challenge while navigating around the map.
Nah. FoE's are more so risk vs reward in terms of fights.
Risk being you can get shitwrecked if you're unprepared, but the reward being that if you can pull it off, you get some nice equipment and (save for EO2) experience points.
The reverse of that is waiting to fight them until it's easy means the experience ain't quite as good as early on, and the equipment from their parts is likely to be outdated.
Granted, the best course of action is to follow what they games wants you to do and avoid them to get to the shortcut, and then once you can go to and from at your leisure, challenging them when you want to and preferably after eating and getting all your focus/boosts/force/etc.
>>
>>323439748
>The FOE's are meant to be avoided (90% of the time)
GOLDEN
SHEEP

CUHRAZEE EXP
>>
>>323439797

I deeply regret not playing classic mode first.
>>
>>323432192
Snipers are shit

Medics aren't as good as you think

Always pick Pink haired Dancer

Nights and Rune Masters are OP in early game

Always sub Bushi
>>
>>323440040
Nightseekers are definitely useful, even if you don't use them in your main party. Forged and bonus weapons aside, they're some of the only ways to get certain "special" drops from enemies.
It depends on your party and set up as well.
My party is oriented toward volt element, so my fort/land/rune combo can shitwreck, especially the rune when he whips out the multi-hit volt rune, but even my fort can get a good sturdy lick in with her mace's lightning strike.
If I didn't like that set up so much, I would likely use my nightseeker in my main party as well, just because ailments can be very nice.
Dancers can be good too, but, at least from my experience, are rather specialized. However, once you get a good dance setup, you can really get a nice chain going, provided you made sure to make the dancer more offense oriented.
>>
>>323440345
EO2 was the only one I couldn't get into. I bought the remake the other day but I can't find my 3DS now, fuuuuark
>>
>>323440574
>Snipers are shit
haha
>>
File: 1437147531587.jpg (577 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1437147531587.jpg
577 KB, 1080x1080
>>323440574
>Always pick Pink haired Dancer
>>
>>323440181
That said, there are times when some FoEs are pretty much meant to begging to be fought before fighting the stratum boss.
The icy mantis in the third stratum gives a nice ice-oriented sword, which can work great on the fire-based stratum boss.
>>
>>323440048
Alright, but about 1/3 of the fanbase from this series are sadists and don't like to help newcomers to the series, at the same time mocking them for the struggle. That was my experience anyway, and with a niche series like this it alienates newcomers. Figured I'd try to help as much as I can.

>>323440313
>>323440181
Good points, I change my mind on that statement. OP take on FOEs but keep in mind what >>323440181 said about risk and reward. Don't stress too much if you can't defeat a certain FOE yet, but be prepared when facing them.
>>
File: 1350665213949.png (122 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
1350665213949.png
122 KB, 476x356
>>323440040
>roll nightseeker
>fucking sucks and gets killed all the time early because I sucked
>venom throw
>"pfft, poison in RPGs usually fucking sucks
>like 400 fucking damage at max level every turn it lasts

Nightseeker taught me to love status effects again
>>
File: no.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>>323440574
>snipers are shit
>>
>still have to wait until the midpoint of the game to unlock classes
Atlus pls
>>
Is there an easier way to put down the auto-move markers? It would be much more convenient if you could just draw a line to your destination.
>>
>>323432192
>Maybe I've just built my party wrong or am not using skills properly
It's definitely that, you should never struggle or need to grind in an EO game as long as you build properly. the first few levels respec is free so it's a good way to experiment, looking at skill trees and planning helps too.
Also remember that status effect in these games are fucking amazing.
>>
>>323441321
>Stratum 1
>Boss gives tells when the big attack is coming and fights in a predictable pattern
>Stratum 2
>You get an Arcanist

Yeah, Snipers are shit
>>
>>323433860
>Also yeah, early game involves lots of grinding at first.
Only if your'e shit
>>
>>323443661
>being this tryhard
>>
>>323439421
Arcanists are boring shits. Medics can be aggressive as fuck.

>there are people in the year of third impact seriously using 2/3 lines instead of 3/2
pathetic
>>
File: 1422438871459.jpg (40 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1422438871459.jpg
40 KB, 500x376
>>323444318
>there are people in the year of third impact seriously using 2/3 lines instead of 3/2
Even worse:
>there are people who didn't choose scruffy medic and manly fortress to protect their lolis
>>
The classes in all EO suck right off the bat because they don't really have their gimmicks yet.
>>
File: 1391926577373.jpg (136 KB, 497x371) Image search: [Google]
1391926577373.jpg
136 KB, 497x371
there are people right here right now that use male characters in their parties
>>
So I'm playing 3 RIGHT NOW
Should I waste points in chop mine and take? Maybe just one level of each with three of my chars and that's it? Or should I make a farmer and add it to the party once I mapped all the gathering spots, get the shit, and then take him out?
>>
>>323445161
see >>323444764

Scruffy Medic is one of the best designs in the series.
>>
>>323445161
>not using Male Medic in EO4
>>
File: 1449206944063.jpg (512 KB, 1448x2048) Image search: [Google]
1449206944063.jpg
512 KB, 1448x2048
>>323441741
EOU2 lets you just draw lines for automove. It was great.
>>
>>323445382
Yes taking mining and shit on your mains is a big waste, just make a team of like 3-4 farmers and take them out when you need cash
>>
>>323445414
but big sis medic is the best medic
>>
>>323444318
Is 2/3 the norm or something?
I've always used 3/2
>>
>>323445859
2/3 is safer because front line is more suspectible to attacks
>>
>>323445414
megane medic > gay medic
>>
>>323445915
I have this mentality in the back of my mind that having 3 in the front reduces the chance further of the back line being attacked but I have nothing to back it up with.
Thinking about it, would a taunting Fortress be any good in the back?
>>
>>323446464
Remember that the enemy's back line can still only target the front line. It's a bit too gimmicky, there's no reason to swap it. Many back line units such as the medic/arcanist, sniper and runemaster don't get any boons from being in front.
>>
>>323445382
in 3 you want to make a ninja and then subclass to farmer so you can use the ability that restores gather points for 1tp. you can also use this character with safe step to solo explore and unlock shortcuts ahead of your main party.

>>323445915
>>323445859
wait does 2/3 mean 2 front 3 back? I thought that would be more dangerous since your front line would have less total hp so individual characters would die faster.
>>
>>323446549
My point was just that he was wrong. I haven't had any problems with the game, I'm just saying that, like many other RPG games, bosses do have inflated HP.
>>
File: Fortress used Taunt.gif (796 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Fortress used Taunt.gif
796 KB, 500x281
>>323446686
Oh right. Scratch that then.
>>
>>323446817
fuck, how did that end it up in this thread
>>
>>323445382
You should make a farmer part of your main party.

Yes
Farmers are awesome.
Replace the gay zodiac you probably have
>>
File: 1251291394256.jpg (166 KB, 316x418) Image search: [Google]
1251291394256.jpg
166 KB, 316x418
I wish I were you OP. Playing the EO series again having no idea, discovering strategies, party compositions, new ways to deal with monsters... slowly creeping through the maze and feeling a little more experienced each time I got back to the inn. Such a great feel.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.