[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was I just not browsing around the time Ori and the Blind Forest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (274 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
274 KB, 1920x1080
Was I just not browsing around the time Ori and the Blind Forest released or did nobody talk about it? Played it recently because of the sale and it's one of my favourites of 2015, and probably one of my top all time. IMO it's the closest a game has ever been to a masterpiece for me, at least for graphics and soundtrack.

If you haven't played/heard of it and like platformers, I highly recommend checking it out.
>>
>>323389693

/v/ doesn't talk about it because its actually a good game and there is no way to spin some kind of SJW agenda around it.
>>
>>323389693
I'm at Mount Horu and about to finish. It's definitely an underrated game, especially since there aren't many metroidvania games out there anymore.
>>
>>323390171
Underrated? Everybody seem to love it
>>
>>323390171
Yeah I just stopped, I was getting my ass handed to me when you have to run from the giant owl so I'm taking a break.
>>
>>323390270
On /v/ it definitely is. No one discusses it.
>>
Let's not talk about this. Let's talk about Axiom Verge instead.
>>
It's my 2015 Goty.
>>
>>323390171
>especially since there aren't many metroidvania games out there anymore
What? If anything there are more now than ever before, at least among indies, you know, like Guacamelee, Axiom Verge, Ori, etc.
>>
>>323390352
We had a few threads that hit the bump limit when it was brand new, but that's basically it.

>>323389889 is somewhat right, sadly.
>>
Looks cool but I heard its really short so I don't want to drop $20 on it.
>>
I finished and enjoyed the game as well.
Now they're releasing an enhanced edition with new content.
>>
It's not that good, core gameplay is alright though, its automatically earns a few points for not holding your hand from the get go but its still a side scroller that's been overdone. The art direction isn't even that good and is hidden through blur the majority of the game.
>>
>>323390834
That's like saying you don't want to have sex because you'll only last 10 seconds.
>>
>>323389693
it's brought up maybe once a week ,more when on sale. We all approve, it's a beautiful game for the price.
>>
I never thought the music in Ori was anything spectacular.
It suited the game well enough, but it never stood out or seemed particularly exceptional to me.
I don't understand all the praise surrounding it.
>>
>>323391002

I'd disagree but ok.
>>
>>323390938
>>
>>323391002
>That's like saying you don't want to pay for sex because you'll only last 10 seconds
ftfy
>>
>>323390891
Oh fuck me I wasn't aware of this, that's awesome

>>323390938
I don't want to sound defensive but
>The art direction isn't even that good
It's not a linear, minimal, pixel style game so I disagree, plus everything flows beautifully and feels straight out of a Miyazaki film.
>and is hidden through blur the majority of the game.
Sadly, I agree with this and is literally my only visual complaint about the whole game. Even with motion blur off, most of the reasons I got hit in the later game is because shit was hiding behind bushes, or I couldn't tell Ori's glow apart from the foreground and the enemy's glow. Everything became a mess in confined places.

Not sure if this post was bait or not but the art direction definitely was not by any means "not good".
>>
>>323391002
10 seconds is not worth the cleanup afterwards
>>
>>323391070
You can't tell me this isn't an 11/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_LvY97Rco

And this is the version from the credits, which is a slight revamp from the music that played when you escaped the water tree. Now that was spectacular and definitely got your heart going.
>>
>>323390834
If it sounds up your alley then check it out. One of my favorites from last year. Bought it on PC and beat it twice. Then I bought it on my Boner and beat it another two or three times. Fucking fantastic game.
>>
>>323391002
>>323391174
>paying for sex
Just pirate it you fags
>>
>>323390938
>>323391663
I keep seeing people talk about blur, and shit being hard to decipher, and I gotta say, I have no idea what the fuck you people are talking about.
Things glow, but never once was I unable to tell what was going on or what hit me, and aside from stuff in the background meant to appear far away I don't remember anything being blurry.
>>
>>323391663
its fine to sound defensive and call out bullshit when you see it. You are right, the problem is not with the art direction it's the way its presented and kinda self-censored through various parts of the game. Thats what I was trying to say actually. The flow of the game is also seamless as hell, smoothest gameplay I've ever felt.
>>
>>323389693
Best game of all time. So beautiful and atmospheric. The game is challenging, but they give you as many tries as you need.
>>
Got an Xbone for free and have this as my only game for it.

Love it so far, but the controller I got is the tacky special forces xbone controller. The A, B, and X buttons stick for whatever reason and I have fucked up countless times because of it.

Ordered a new controller so hopefully I can really dive into this game soon.
>>
>>323392581
Ori's tiny prescense in areas full of enemies and foliage in the foreground can definitely be an issue. I might've been exaggerating when I said "most of the reasons", as now I really only recall it being an issue in the dark forest areas with green enemies. When you're spamming X and jumping around shit it can be really hectic and cause deaths.

Also unrelated to the reply, but how many of you are so used to games holding your hand and auto-saving that you lost so much time in this game? It took me a while to get used to making the soul link or whatever it was but I think I lost a good 10 minutes once because of being a retard and not saving
>>
>>323391972
I dunno, I'm not saying it's bad or anything, because it's certainly quite good, I'm just not hearing this GOAT soundtrack everyone else seems to be.
It's more like a 7.5/10 soundtrack for me.
>>
>>323389693
Nah there were a fair ammount o threads
>>
>>323392581
It can sometimes be hard to keep track of Ori against some backgrounds and especially during enemy/projectile explosions.

Best way to remedy this would be to give Ori a dark outline, but doing so would cause Ori and the environment to not "blend" well.
>>
>>323393479
It's definitely more of an atmospheric background OST I guess, so I can see where you're coming from. Not that great for active listening, instead more of background music for studying or sleeping, and obviously for ambience in the game.

I would pay a hefty amount to hear this live in an orchestra, however. That would be amazing.
>>
>>323393226
The problem is it takes energy to make those saves, and in the beginning of the game you have very little energy and constantly need to use that energy to open gates and use that explosion attack to break walls and shit, so you don't want to waste energy saving, especially when there's little actual challenge yet.
By the end of the game you have so much energy and so little need to use energy for anything but saving but that it practically becomes like save states.

And I can't relate to losing Ori in enemy fire. It never happened for me, as far as I can remember.
Don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>323393479
Well music is pretty subjective, so I respect your opinion.

I think it's a fantastic soundtrack.
>>
>>323392934
>Best game of all time
Too far amigo. Love the game, but there are plenty of games that are better. The game's biggest flaw is that it at first feels like a metroidvania but after the Ginso Tree feels more linear. Like, most of the game has been explored by that point, or at least the areas you'll revisit have been. Not that linearity is bad, but it just betrays the initial feeling of the game.

And a personal pet peeve of mine is the constant button prompts for doors and save points. I know how to do it, at least have an option to turn it off. I'd prefer the prompts just go away after the first time though, we shouldn't give people crutches for easy shit like that.
>>
>>323394350
I'd sooner trust someone that put in a hundred hours in a game than someone that played it for thirty minutes then dropped it while saying how shitty it was.
>>
>>323393732
It's definitely not because it's atmospheric.
I mean, Machinarium has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jex5rtwx94k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8HXFrqpCI

Something about Ori's music just doesn't click for me, and I can't place my finger on what it is.
>>
>>323389693
>>323389889
there were a thread or two a day for ~2 weeks after release. they never got that big, but they were there.
>>
File: 1276004445753.jpg (22 KB, 399x297) Image search: [Google]
1276004445753.jpg
22 KB, 399x297
>mfw getting it for $5 because of a Steam fuck-up where they put it on sale at that price for like 20 minutes
>>
>>323395240
Everyone's got different tastes, let's leave it there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wasn't calling you out by the way, i was just curious to see why you seemed to think the OST wasn't anything spectacular and didn't get the praise. Cause to me, it was far more than spectacular
>>
>>323395640
I guess the best way I can put it is most of Ori's soundtrack feels very very safe and predictable to me, like I've heard it before, even if I actually haven't.
It's stupid and vague and doesn't pin down anything in particular in the music that doesn't gel with me so I don't like to say it, but there it is.
>>
I wish it were more challenging and didn't have permanently missable collectibles.
The game could certainly stand to have more enemy variety as well.
>>
File: gumo.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
gumo.png
1 MB, 1600x900
I like the game a lot, the controls are tight and its one of the few platformers where the moment is so fluid as fuck. The only thing really bad with it is that a whole area gets locked and any upgrade you missed there is gone forever, oh also the edgy weeaboo name the owl has fucking seriously they didnt come up with anything better than Kuro?
>>
>>323399101
As spoiler free as possible, what area, and how does it get locked?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.