[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the origional goal for video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 2794960482_b7986ee49d_b.jpg (375 KB, 833x1024) Image search: [Google]
2794960482_b7986ee49d_b.jpg
375 KB, 833x1024
When someone had the idea of a video being interactive, I picture something like Dragon's Lair. It is pure cinematic. I think what designers origionally intended was to make digitized films that could be playable. The idea was to tell the plot like a film, but give you options to change the outcome of the story. They were not origionally supposed to be so varried in terms of playstyle. That's why 3DO had so many FMV games. Now FMV's are almost rare. The ultimate way for a movie to be a game is if people were tricked into thinking they were watching a film if they saw footage. You often hear people say, wow it's just like a movie. That's because we imagine that one day games will be that cinematic and life like. The FPS view was made to make you feel like you were looking through the eyes of an actor. The fixed cams in the firstl Resident Evil games were to make you think that the places in each area were film strips by changing the angles.
>>
There wasn't any one goal.
Just like there isn't any one genre now.
>>
movies aren't fun to play though.
>>
>>323348239
Maybe a game inventor stood still staring at a watch for hrs thinking the hands where guns shooting at numbers.How's that for killing time he said. His friend replied, not enough. Friend wanted to aim the hands on the clock freely so he used something digital and reworked the placement of the watch. Now it's time to kill he said.The inventor said, we can call the numbers points. The friend said, but secretly they are people.
>>
>>323348037
That's fucking retarded. The first videogames weren't trying to be interactive movies at all. They were trying to be games. How are Pong, Tennis for Two, or OXO interactive movies?
>>
>>323348914
But yeah but those are origionally games not movies, I was saynig that this goes for games that try to be interactive vidose.
>>
>>323348037
go read some more wikipedia, faggot. You're completely wrong.
>>
>>323348037
I want to phuck Daphne
>>
>>323348878

>secretly they are people.

10/10
>>
>>323349925
That's not what the thread title says, so everyone's going to come in her and argue with you about pac-man being cinematic.
>>
>>323349925
But even that doesn't really apply to FMV games. Notice that most of them have ridiculous plots and bad acting. They weren't trying to be movies. They were trying to be simulations, which is what every videogame is. But the system limitations at the time wouldn't allow full control of a character as realistic as an FMV. And there's a world of difference between an interactive movie and a simulation. In an interactive movie, you're still just a spectator. Videogames aren't supposed to be that.
>>
File: OP.jpg (22 KB, 300x171) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
22 KB, 300x171
>>323348037
>>
>>323348037
fun
>>
>>323350334
Yeah your right I messed that one up my bad.
>>323350708
OK I get you but one thing I do think in contrast is that most FMV games dont realy give the kind of feedback that other gamey games give like scores or something. Like that one Shibuya 420 or whatever game that got a perfect score in Famitsu it doesnt have score counters or anything.
>>323350746
Sorry :( English isnt my first language.
>>323350820
But anything can be fun?
>>
>>323348037
You're legitimately a sheep regurgitating some fuckwit's attempt to legitimize a child's pastime. Grow the fuck up and do something productive.
>>
>>323348037
>origional
>origionally
Inbred/10
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.