[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>we want to reach a wider audience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1450217004964.jpg (71 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1450217004964.jpg
71 KB, 633x758
>we want to reach a wider audience
>>
File: sadbear.jpg (161 KB, 1072x886) Image search: [Google]
sadbear.jpg
161 KB, 1072x886
>we are living in the alternate universe where Banjo and Kazooie are not nintendo first-party Smash characters since Melee
>>
>>323317157
If a dev says that I give up hope on a game
>>
>wanting your product to sell to more people is a bad thing

Only on /v/.
The only reason niche stuff is niche is because it cant go mainstream, everyone and eveyrhint that can go mainstream does so.
See yandere sim
>>
>>323317409
That's a safe bet. Unfortunately I am a greater fool than you, anon.
>>
>>323317580
Because the "wider audience" strategy worked so good for thi4f.
>>
>>323317771
I dont know shit about that game but if you mean that trying to go mainstream can backfire and let you with no customers at all then yes it does happen often.
>>
>>323317284
>mfw we're universe B/universe 2
>>
>private company saying "we want to make more money"

no duh. Yes it's bad for the original fanbase but it's the most obvious way to go for a company
>>
I don't understand why they don't just make the game the same or better than the previous ones, but just market it more?
Instead we get a watered down installment AND it's marketed more.
>>
>>323318110
Because its more effective that way. Most people want easy things for entertainment.
>>
>>323318110
because a niche base will quickly find out about your product, no marketing needed

only marketing it more would be like screaming in a small room to 5 people
>>
>>323317925
Which is why people hate that phrase. Just look at what happened to Squenix. If you have a loyal fanbase and a rocksolid franchise it does no one a favor if you try to completly change that formula for a bit more money. All it does is turning a game into a lifeless piece of shit with no "soul". That may sound autistic, but it literally kills the creativity and the endproducts feel like shitty hollywood movies. The themes may be different but they all feel the same in the end.
>>
>>323317580
Getting a game to sell more means dumbing it down so more people can play it.

So ya, it's a bad thing
>>
>>323317157
I don't get it. What's wrong with more people enjoying a game? Do you lose sleep knowing that somebody likes something?
>>
>>323321015
>Game X is made for a special audience and is perfect for said audience
>Its changed to pander to a different audience and for that the gameplay is watered down and the game ends up generic and bland

Yes, why is it a bad thing I wonder.
>>
>>323321341
Okay? Game X still exists, and if it's perfect the way it is, then what's to stop them from going back to it?

You sound like the kind of person who would say that FF7 is perfectly playable and fine to this day, yet would still bitch about the remake's change to combat. Nobody's taking away what's already there. Stop being a bitch.
>>
>>323317580
Intentionally trying to reach a wider audience is retarded because it drives away existing fans while giving nothing new to people who weren't fans before. For example, why should someone who isn't a Star Wars fan care about the new Battlefront when it does almost nothing different that any other generic FPS does?

Video games in general work best when the publishers realize it's a relatively niche market and create games with that in mind instead of pretending they can create the next juggernaut mainstream idea.
>>
>>323317580
this is the mindset of a cancer
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.