[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /v/ think like this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: FB_IMG_1452238076028.jpg (36 KB, 720x429) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452238076028.jpg
36 KB, 720x429
Does /v/ think like this?
>>
Why are you on Tumblr?
>>
File: 1450487591428.jpg (57 KB, 581x524) Image search: [Google]
1450487591428.jpg
57 KB, 581x524
>some guy got so mad over a tumblr post that he made a thread on /v/ about it
>>
>>323297396
>I've never understood why classification exists
>like why do we even do that, it's outrageous

Literally, identifying things and separating them is what makes us human
>>
>>323297723
Because Undertale was the best game of the year.
>>
>>323297957

At what point is it said they don't understand why a classification exists? They're saying it's weird when people think it's an insult.

Which is true.
>>
>>323298235
You have been a teenager, right?
Remember when you thought about how you and all the other kids in school were all pretty similar?
And how you wanted to stand out?

Now imagine you never grew out of that phase.
>>
File: 1444889592813.gif (3 MB, 400x515) Image search: [Google]
1444889592813.gif
3 MB, 400x515
casuals aka retards hate being actually self aware and told they are casuals/retards
>>
Casuals hate being reminded how shit they are.
>>
>>323297396

>I don't understand why people get elitist about their hobbies.
>Because we're deeply involved in them, and people who are only passingly involved annoy us.
>You're silly
>This is true.

Seems reasonable.
>>
>>323298730
>>323298449

Wait, is casual a distinction of skill level, or time spent playing?

Like if someone plays a variety of videogames 80 hours a week but is shit at them, are they a casual?
>>
>>323298818
Thank you for translating tumblr to human.
>>
>>323297396
We all start as casuals. Each of us one day realized how ignorant he was about videogames, and tried then to be better at them, or to educate himself at least about the global view of vidya

Some people will stay casuals, but don't care about the label because they only ever played Tetris or some shit and have different hobbies or occupations

This pic represents those who aren't humble, nor conscious of their own ignorance, nor wishing to learn more. They're casuals, as in they will play the few same games and nothing else, or just be interested in vidya culture but not actually play. It'd be fine if they actually spent their time doing some other shit, but they chose not to out of laziness, and their lack of dedication will never let them be anything more than casuals
>>
>>323298235
casual doesn't mean "play for fun in their free time," because that's what the majority of all vidya game players do. Casual means someone who doesn't play anything outside of AAA or extremely hyped titles, can't get into anything deeper than Skyrim because it's either "too hard" or "boring." They just misunderstood the label being applied to them.
>>
It isn't an insult. It seriously means "someone who doesn't live to play vidya". If anything it's on the same level as normie, which is only used by ironic degenerates.
>>
>>323297396
Casual mean you have no idea about videogames and play the easiest shit possible.
>>
>>323297396

>feministnerdgirl

Protip: People who care this much about being recognized as a "nerd" aren't really nerds. Likewise, people who care this much about being called "gamers" are more interested in the label than actually playing video games (but that much should be obvious when we're talking about people who play only casually and therefore have no good reason to label themselves in terms of this hobby in which they barely even participate).

"Gamer" is to movie buff as "casual gamer" is to a regular person who occasionally watches a movie. You don't hear regular people calling themselves "casual movie buffs" because that's retarded.
>>
>>323299383

So it doesn't have to do with skill level or amount of time played, it just has to do with the types of games you play?

What a strange distinction.
>>
>>323299861

I eat food but I'm not obsessed with it.

So I'm a casual foodie.
>>
>>323298235
>Which is true.

No. It's not.

It's a insult since if you're a casual your skill celling is lower. You're OBJECTIVELY inferior.
>>
Why do people get so riled up about video games?
It's only bad when the game is bad.
>>
>>323299962

I have a drink with dinner sometimes, but I don't drink a lot.

I'm a casual alcoholic. Don't you dare tell me that casual alcoholics aren't real alcoholics!
>>
>>323299147
A casual is someone who plays candycrush on their iphone and maybe call of duty.
>>
Wait, wasn't there a post on /v/ awhile back that had the exact same text?
It was accompanied by a picture of sponge bob slipping in the floor, I remember it being posted a few times.
>>
>>323299861
I drive a car every day but I don't spend thousands a week modifying and customizing it.

I guess I'm a casual car fan.
>>
>>323299964

So wait, it is a measure of skill? So someone who plays a videogame 1 hour a week but is super good at it, they're not a casual?
>>
>Replying with a non sequitur is an argument
I fucking hate roastie logic. I really do.
>>
>>323300125

Now it depends on what kind of games you play, again?

What the fuck is a 'casual' do you fucking people even know?
>>
>>323300336

Anomalys exist everywhere.
>>
>>323300420
Can you really not identify a casual when it comes to any hobby?
Its doing a hobby casually.
Some games are inherently casual. Some games can be played casually and more seriously.

Are you retarded? How are you filling out captchas? Are you sure you don't want to go back to tumblr where people don't confuse with crazy complex concepts like "Casual"?
>>
It happens everywhere.

I wouldnt call a cook a chef.
I wouldnt call a guy who loves cars a mechanic.
I wouldnt call a guy who likes guns a soldier.
I wouldnt call a woman who does her make up a stylist.
I wouldnt call a guy who csn fix his computer a tech expert.

I hate that being a casual "gamer" is more... accepted than being "hardcore". Idk why, i just do. Gaming is a hobby like any other, but somehow its bad to show appreciation and love and time to it, where as its good to be some shit skrub who is bad at all games and just plays flavor of the month trash.
>>
>>323299147
>>323300336
>>323300420

Jesus Christ, kid.

The answer to your question is "all of the above" because they're all related.

People who only play video games occasionally, to kill time and not in search of any real challenge, are known as casual gamers. Because of the small amount of time they spend playing and the types of games which appeal to them, they are invariably unskilled at video games in general. There are games which pander to this type of player, and these are known as casual games.

Stop pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>323299964
You don't even know what skill ceiling means you twit.
>>
>>323300208
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but your analogy is wrong.
A casual car driver would nick street signs, accelerate like a bucking bronco, pretend they're driving when they're just a passenger, and drive those little electric kiddie cars. They will then go on to proclaim that they are great drivers and just prefer to suck at driving.

Hardcore drivers would attempt to do the best they have with what they got. Even when they're driving some 300 dollar junker, they will drive well and enjoy it.
>>
>>323297396

well it's pretty much how people can say they're casuals at any activity. Nobody minds if you casually do a thing if you find it fun to do in your spare time.

The problem is when these people start pretending to be the core audience for said activity, and your entire hobby changes to suit those casual people thus making it a shallow and barebones experience and effectively eliminating enthusiasts, which is the equivalent to killing your hobby

The closest example of this that I have is with the boom of gym culture. I'm an avoid lifter myself, have been going at it for almost 5 years. And as social media exploded in popularity, so did the retarded gym culture where people who aren't in shape pretend to always know what they're talking about. The spend hundreds of dollars on gym equipment to never make any real progress. These people all fuel chain gyms, some of which like Planet Fitness are god damn terrible and kill out more serious gyms that aren't part of any chains. It strikes close to home because the local powerlifting gym I used to go to got bought out and now it's a fucking Planet Fitness

Same thing happens in my videogames. I fall in love with a particular game series, but to make it more accessible and cater to what the casuals want it's dumbed down and stripped off its core elements, and now it's no longer the series I fell in love with but just another generic piece of mindless entertainment

For people who like star wars the same thing with the new movie

Any sort of thing you enjoy is butchered once the masses get ahold of it, because they're not real enthusiasts and the market says "if it's successful you just copy it 100 times to cash in on it". Problem is that the product always gets diluted to the point where it becomes almost a parody of itself. Look literally at any thing that's popular and you'll see the same thing

When something becomes popular it usually leads to creative bankruptcy unless the content creators are REALLY smart
>>
>>323298430
I didn't, that's why I'm still here.
>>
File: 1447092593763.jpg (19 KB, 481x391) Image search: [Google]
1447092593763.jpg
19 KB, 481x391
There's nothing wrong with being a casual as long as you don't pretend you're not a casual.

I mean, I'm a casual star wars fan. I liked the original movies, the prequels weren't good but the new one looks neat (haven't seen it yet.) I like the occasional game I guess. But I don't pretend I know any of the deeper lore or the books or the cartoons or the background characters from the movies or anything to that effect. I don't pretend to be hardcore into Star Wars.
>>
>>323299964
inferior at what?
Enjoying a game?

Because last time I checked beating a game as efficiently as possible was not the only way to have fun with it.

Say I have worn specs my whole life, would that make you "inferior" to me at wearing them?
And, since technically, you would be, what exactly does that mean to you and your inferior existence?
>>
>>323298449
>calling other people retarded
>likes neptunia

yeah okay anon
>>
>>323298430
>imagine you never grew out of that phase
most people don't
>>
>feministnerdgirl
>>
>>323301142
After being out of the gym for 2+ years Planet Fitness has been a cheap way for me to get my strength built back up until I'm ready to head to a real powerlifting gym.

That said, there's a lot of fuckboys there.
>>
>>323297396
Pretty sure these fags can't get more pitiful than using the word casual against normies.
>>
>>323301325
I have fun playing basketball with friends.

I wouldn't run up to Micheal Jordan and tell him I am just having fun and he should stop being so elitists.
>>
>>323300706

You're confusing hobbyists with people who make a living off it (Except for tech-expert which doesn't really fit the pattern you set out).

If we're to go by your logic, the only people who are 'hardcore' would be the people who make a living off playing Videogames. Very few and far between.

>>323300773

So if someone doesn't play videogames a lot, but is still skilled at them, they're not a casual correct? It's not hard to be 'good' at videogames so this isn't a rare situation at all.

>>323300705

No I want you people to clearly, concisely come up with what it means to be a 'casual' at gaming because some people say it's the type of games you play (which has no relation to time invested or skill needed), your skill (which has a little relation to time spent, but little relation to types of games) and some say it's time spent (which can have 0 relation to skill and no relation to types of games).
>>
Only casuals are offended by the word casuals
>>
File: 1354093125455.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1354093125455.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>323297396

>mfw I have never seen a tumblr screencap NOT ending in some sort of confirmation/praise of the first or second poster

I swear that 99% of tumblr screencaps are made by people who made the first or second comment and use this as a means to inflate their petty ego's. Congrats, OP.
>>
>>323301279
This, it's perfectly fine to be a fan of something at a casual level but don't go around spouting that you're an expert or super dedicated on the subject which will just annoy the more hardcore fans.
It's like that girl on the King of the Nerds bullshit that went around saying how much of a expert on videogames she was but when there was a challenge quiz about videogames she lost on the very first question about who created Pac Man.
>>
>>323301474
>Pretty sure these fags can't get more pitiful than using the word casual against normies.
they are using tumblr in the meantime?
>>
I've never understood why people who aren't a part of a group always feel the need to try and ruin the group.

Is it just human nature? Jealousy? Do we enjoy looking down on others? I mean, I'm doing it myself in this post and I can't understand why. Is it just the culture of my society?
>>
Being a casual is not about what games you play, its about your mindset.

I'd call myself a casual fighting game fan. I never get deep into them beyond just kinda messing around. I am not a "hardcore" fighting game fan because I played Continuum Shift Extend or Xrd or Arcana Heart 3 or any other things normalfags have never heard of a few times.
>>
>>323301558
A casual is someone who plays a game casually.

Irregularity is probably the closest you are going to be happy with if you want a textbook definition.

Please kill yourself. I hope you understand that.
>>
My definition of a casual vs a not-casual is how they answer this question -

Do you consider video games to be your main hobby - i.e. how many hours do you dedicate to video games vs other hobbies like sports or movies/tv or working out.
>>
>>323301738

Okay good now we're getting somewhere.

This means that there are people who don't play CandyCrush casually, correct? And these are hardcore gamers, based on what criteria?
>>
>>323301648
What
By fags i meant /v/irgins and channers or whatever
>>
>>323301940
So you can only do one hobby non-casually?
>>
>>323297396
It's great being a hardcore gamer if you have the time, it's a great feel you get when you manage to master a difficult game. I don't have time for it now since I have a job and responsibilities and the free time I do have I spend playing my guitar and programming. I now see the appeal of casual games though.

Do what makes you happy /v/, and remember the majority of people who talk shit about hardcore gamers are the same people who spend hours on Netflix and Facebook instead of trying to master something.
>>
I play Diablo 3 in hardcore mode, and let clan members power level me while I sit there doing nothing for 5 hours. Am I hardcore yet?
>>
starting a thread with a screencap of a twitter/tumblr post should be instant ban
>>
>>323299880

I don't think so. It has to do with how deep you go into the hobby, not with how many you play or how good you are at them.
>>
>>323301969
>that there are people who don't play CandyCrush casually, correct?
Except Candy Crush is designed with casual gaming as it's goal, with very little room to improve your skills
>>
>>323302102
It should, linking blogs is against the rules and tumblr is a site for blogging.
>>
>>323301969
No that person would be a hardcore candy crush player that wouldn't mean they know shit about other games.

I think the main reason there is a distinction is because of how you talk about stuff.
With a gamer I generally can assume there is a huge overlap with things I can reference to.

Its like you genuinely don't understand human interaction.

Have you ordered a helium tank yet?
>>
>>323297396

The truth is that they're lazy people who don't understand that something is more rewarding if you put effort in. They derive shitty levels of enjoyment from things they easymode through, treating games as disposable junk food. That's why the gaming industry is full of crappy, short, unremarkable games.
>>
>>323301519
And Michael Jordan wouldn't come bitching to you that you should stop playing because he thinks you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: VjX8Z6Y.png (174 KB, 540x695) Image search: [Google]
VjX8Z6Y.png
174 KB, 540x695
>>323297396
>>
>>323302026
Depends, if the split is exactly 50/50 between two things and the total hours seem to be enough, then they could be considered.

Take some people I know for example, he plays lots of call of duty and guild wars 2, but he also plays club soccer, works out and shoots guns/hunts. I'd consider him a sort of a casual but he does play games a lot, so that's middle of the ground.

If someone only played mobile games while they were in their free time like on breaks or inbetween classes or some shit, but considered themselves a non-casual then there is a problem.
>>
>>323302267

So being a non-casual gamer is now being able to have a large general knowledge about the hobby? That has nothing to do with skill, again...

You people are all fucking idiots.
>>
>>323300706
Being a "hardcore gamer" is more like being a cinephile these days. Everyone plays games now so the distinction between casual and hardcore is gone. We once looked down on casual gamers because they were trying to horn in on our racket but only really liked a couple select games. Like the kid who claimed to be a gamer but only played Madden.
People playing games now don't even call themselves gamers. They aren't casuals, They're just people. Ask any random person if they are a gamer and they will probably say "no, but I really like that ______".

So I say we drop the "hardcore" shit. Let's just refer to ourselves as gamers now. Most of the people who /v/ considers casuals have just as much a claim to the title as anyone else.

This is what happens when a hobby becomes universally accepted.
>>
>>323302193
This, even the game industry uses casual to classify certain types of games. Such as people who want games that can be played casually. In fact, they invented it. These dumb fags trying to be oh-so-smart-above-it-alls forget /v/ took it from the industry itself.
>>
>>323302378
He would if you were claiming you form part of the NBA
>>
>>323301969
Just wanna pop in and say that I like you. It's healthy for the mind to play devil's advocate from time to time, even when it makes you look like a complete asshole. I appreciate it, we don't get enough of that.
>>
>>323300208
exactly, like i'm
i'm also a casual drinker
less than once a month, on some social event
>>
I don't have a problem with casual "gamers", what I have a problem with is those same people coming in here trying to argue their shit game as a GOTY while they really haven't played shit and can't even judge what's good and what isn't based on their lack of experience
Example for this would be, for someone that's never played an FPS in their life, BioShock Infinite is probably heaven on earth while it's really a huge pile of shit
>>
>>323298449
Playing casual paedophile Jap games and calling others retarded is Hippocrates to the max, off yourself
>>
>>323302535
Are casual gamers claiming they compete in esports?
>>
Okay this is the perfect thread for this, as I got into a real life argument with some friends over this.

What defines someone as a real "gamer" over a "fake" or "casual" gamer? Where is the line drawn that makes someone officially a non-casual gamer?
>>
>>323302460
Yeah WE are the idiots.
You are right. you should probably leave. Wouldn't want to taint your intellect.
Leave and never return.
We are too stupid for you.
>>
File: 1341184802460.jpg (61 KB, 625x750) Image search: [Google]
1341184802460.jpg
61 KB, 625x750
>>323300773
>People who only play video games occasionally, to kill time and not in search of any real challenge

I worked with a guy that was dead set on buying a PS4 to play madden and only madden. He hadn't touched video games in 3 years since I asked him what he last played. These people are real, I thought they were a lie and yeah, he was black if it matters. I don't even know why these people exist, the world is strange in that way.

I don't wholly agree with your definition of casual but they are out there.
>>
>>323302713
there's no line, they're all faggots.
>>
>>323302713
How deep they get into a hobby.
>>
Protip: If you're not sure what the difference is between a casual and a "hardcore" gamer, you are a casual.
>>
>>323302679
And what does esports have to do with the discussion?
Point being, claiming you form part of a group you actually don't will probably result in backlash
>>
File: just.jpg (130 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
130 KB, 576x1024
>It's another tumblr thread
>>
>>323302713
>Where is the line drawn that makes someone officially a non-casual gamer?

The type of games they play and how often. Being a casual isn't something to be proud of and you shouldn't be show boating how many games you can, have or had played.

Everybody loses.
>>
>>323302713
Completing at least more than 5 non-mobile games a year.
>>
>>323302810
Is it really that simple? What if someone plays one game, but it's not just a generic flavor of the month AAA game.

What if there was a person who played a shitload of Dwarf Fortress, and exclusively Dwarf Fortress. Would they be a casual gamer since they only play one game? I'd hardly consider one game to be "deep" into a hobby.
>>
>>323302949

That bro is probably gay, you need to have a high fruit content in you to be a male cheerleader.
>>
>>323302726

You're arguing from a position where none of you can come up with a clear definition of what a 'casual' gamer is. Mostly because it's all based on personal opinion from a bunch of shut-in nerds (perhaps the most opinionated group of people on the face of the Earth barring ISIS).

The best part is that you're all just fucking each other up over what a casual gamer actually is because none of you wants to think YOU are one, so you have to define it as something you're not.

I bet if we got right down to it most of you people would be defined as a 'casual gamer' by one another. Hi-larious.
>>
gamer is a fucking stupid word anyway
>>
>>323302942
What does NBA have to do with the discussion? If you're equating playing basketball in the most elite division of the world, to being called a "gamer", I'm baffled.
>>
>>323297396
http://sheekyforums.com/thread/323297396/video-games/does-sheeky-forums-think-like-this.html
>>
>>323303034
>What if someone plays one game, but it's not just a generic flavor of the month AAA game.
Still not a gamer.
That wouldn't be going very deep into gaming would it?
To play one game.
you wouldn't buy a bookshelf for one book.

>I'd hardly consider one game to be "deep" into a hobby.
Exactly.
>>
File: george-w-bush-saul-loeb-afp[1].jpg (390 KB, 2683x1766) Image search: [Google]
george-w-bush-saul-loeb-afp[1].jpg
390 KB, 2683x1766
>>323303062

Bullshit.

Male cheerleaders are perfectly straight

Does this look like a gay man to you?
>>
>>323302958
>>323303006
I feel like these two posts directly contradict each other.

I'd like to clarify I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I personally agree with the general sentiment in this thread that it's something you just sort of "feel" out. But when I was arguing with some people they were pressing me about what makes someone "casual" or not, and whether that matters as long as they enjoy the medium.

I'll admit, I felt a bit at a loss. I didn't know how to answer the argument in a constructive way.
>>
Generally, and I've never really cared about the distinction myself, but as other anons have pointed out, a casual is just someone who plays casually, same as if someone wasn't overly concerned with films might go to the movies every now and then, but they certainly aren't film-buffs or movie nerds or whatever.

I think the issue people have with this is that for a long time games were considered more of a niche as a hobby, probably from their history as kids toys and having to fuck around with computers for early pc games. The last couple of gens we've really seen a huge growth in 'casual' gamers as the hobby becomes more mainstream, but public opinion still hasn't caught up, so gaming is sometimes seen as a nerdy activity even though 'playing CoD' isn't. This means people don't neccessarily recognise themselves as casual because they think gaming itself is niche and thus they are invested in it simply by partaking (generally beyond just your average CoD and sports games, but still only mainstream releases like Skyrim, etc.)

I think casual as a pejorative is pretty common among a lot of different hobbies though, probably due to the market favouring casuals as they're a larger market, which often simplifies design and draws funding from the more 'hardcore' versions the hobbyists would prefer (see: Michael Bay, Uwe Boll). It's probably worse in video games as I imagine casuals are probably worse in competitive games, and with the consoles being held up by 'casuals' and the fact that a high end PC will outperform a console, it's reasonable to say casuals are holding back gaming more than other hobbies. Personally, I think casual is a dumb insult to be used seriously, as every industry has them, and it's unfair to say the industry would be better off without them as they inevitably draw in a lot o funds.
>>
>>323303034
>Would they be a casual gamer since they only play one game?

Yea, same for anyone that only plays ASSFAGGOTS. If you're a gamer, you likes games plural. If you only like one game and play only that game, you're a casual piece of shit.

Games are entertainment, so just imagine a person that only watches one movie and only one movie. That's pretty fucking lame, isn't it?
>>
>>323303091
Its about human interaction. It's complex.

Define Love right now if you are so smart.
>>
>>323303091
>This projection

>>323303143
Stop acting retarded and read the post again
>>
>>323297396
I couldn't care less what other people think about what games I play, to be honest.

Plus the only people who pester me about shows/games/music are the people I know with few friends and generally miserable lives.

Normal people don't really care and are usually open to most things unlike the unlikable guys.

I actually prefer to play with "normal" people over the "hardcore" guys mainly because normal people know how to have fun whereas the hardcore guys are usually passive aggressive fuckwads.
>>
>>323297396
She BTFO 'hardcore" nerds desu
>>
>>323303034
That person would be a hardcore Dwarf Fortresser.

Its a game but he clearly doesn't like games or has explored into gaming if he only has played one game.
>>
>>323297396
okay like for real

The difference between a casual gamer and a hardcore gamer is that a casual gamer doesn't really care about games and wouldn't want to hold a long conversation about games with a video game nerd. My aunt loves playing candy crush but she doesn't talk to me about video games. A hardcore gamer is the people who actually likes and discusses video games.

That's how I always thought about it. You'd ask a person about video games and they either say "Oh I'm not really much of a gamer" or you hold a conversation with them about video games, the culture of video games, video game news, etc because they actually care about that shit. It's a measure of how much you care about video games.
>>
>>323303180
So it has nothing to do with the type of game you play? Merely how many you play?

>>323303308
Yeah but if someone watches a ton of Adam Sandler, Tyler Perry, Fast&Furious (aka low-brow "shit" movies, even though I like F&F) that hardly makes them a cinephile.
>>
File: 1450813754865.jpg (81 KB, 1090x245) Image search: [Google]
1450813754865.jpg
81 KB, 1090x245
>tumblr
>>
>>323303316

>Define Love right now if you are so smart

An intense feeling of deep affection which is entirely subjective.
>>
>>323302502
But that's the problem if everyone is a "gamer" no one is. It loses all meaning.

I wouldn't call someone who plays only shooter games a "gamer", no matter how much they play them or how good they are at them. They might love those games, sure, but they aren't a gamer.

A gamer is someone who plays all games. Console games, PC games, handhelds (phone or otherwise), etc. Reads about games, talks about games, watches video about games, etc.

People who go to the movies each week (or every 2 weeks or whatever), aren't "cinephiles" they're just people who are going to the movies. Someone who truly loves movies would have a huge collection of them, read about them online, probably has an interest in going to school for it, etc.

"Gamer" isn't someone who just plays games.
>>
>>323303091
It's really simple actually. As has been conveniently ignored in the thread, what a surprise, the whole casual label came about because the industry it self uses it. The most common definition seems to be

A) You don't play these games that are literally labeled by their publishers or creators as for the casual market

and

B) You play enough games where you can be called the game equivalent of a movie buff
>>
>>323303387
>I actually prefer to play with "normal" people over the "hardcore" guys
That depends on the type of game you want to play, I wouldn't even consider calling my normie friends to play Red Orchestra or ARMA
>>
>>323297396
People who give you shit for enjoy (as long as it isn't weird as fuck) are unlikable people who you should disregard their opinion because they usually have nothing going for them and are miserable thus feel the need to shit on other peoples opinions.
>>
>>323303414
So is that person a casual gamer to you? In this specific example. Yes or no.
>>
>>323303151
That's a site that copies posts to pass for a forum and get ad revenue, newfag.
>>
>>323297396

The way I see it the time you spend playing video games or if you do it as a hobby or professionally is all irrelevant. What sets apart casuals from real human beans is the fact that no matter how much time they spend playing, they will not get better and they do not want to get better. They stick to their casual games and anything outside their comfort zone is intimidating to them. This is most people. What most people should be like however is not be afraid of a little complexity and challenge and find depth of gameplay more rewarding than instant gratification wish fulfillment where you are great and all the NPC's love you.
>>
>>323303341
I could say the same to you.
>>
>>323303180
But if a person played exclusively Dwarf Fortress and nothing else would he be a casual gamer.
>>
>>323303285
>I'll admit, I felt a bit at a loss. I didn't know how to answer the argument in a constructive way.

I'll help you here. First, go drink some fiber cause you sound gay, even on text. Now that you have testosterone in you, be ready to shit talk cause that's what people like.

Look them in the eye and tell them "You're a casual if you don't even keep informed on good games" period. I know the stories to Halo, Dark Souls, Uncharted, Last of US, games I've never touched. A hardcore gamer likes all games, even if he doesn't play them.
>>
>>323302958
When I was 20 I played phantasy star online for 21 hours straight trying to level up to 100 or whatever max level was.
I've never thought of myself as a hardcore gamer but I was pretty hardcore into that game for a while. I've continued to buy games regularly throughout the years but life and work means I don't finish most of them.
I'm ok with being thought of as a casual.
>>
>>323303489
>entirely subjective.
So it is impossible for someone to objectively explain what they love about a person?
bullshit.

I think I just realized how much easier it is to poke holes into other people's definitions than to actually define shit.
I am going to shitpost like that other anon now.
>>
>>323303308
>competitive players are casual
>>
>>323303542
I would. The hardcore guys I know doesn't know how to have fun and the mood is usually passive aggressive.
>>
File: Little faggot.jpg (143 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Little faggot.jpg
143 KB, 1024x768
>>323303091
>He thinks shut-in nerd is an insult in /v/ of all places
Sick burn my friend
>>
>>323303525

So if you play any game that is labeled as casual, you're now a casual? No matter the time invested? What if you go home and play <hardcore game> for 5 hours but play some candycrush on the bus to pass the time? Does that mean you're a casual because you played a game marketed towards the casual market?

And I would think that people who only play 'hardcore' games would be offended to be paired up with people who are just videogame-buffs.

Do you see why you people are fucking retarded yet?
>>
>>323303606
Yes.
>>
>>323303542
>play any game other than DOTA with "hardcore" friends
>play for 30 minutes until someone goes "...anyone wanna go play dota?"
>everyone leaves

Every time. I've stopped playing with them because of this.
>>
>>323303489
but how you know someone is in love?
is by how much time they feel it?
is by how intense is such a feeling?
it need a sexual intercourse?

you are this retarded
>>
>>323303669
Well I was arguing with some people who straight up don't play videogames, and they're my friends so I'm not about to tell them to fuck off and die.

It started because we were hanging out and watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08CVkBxvBM

And without you fucking spergs losing your minds about misogyny or women in gaming in general, it was about me specifically reacting negatively to the bit where he says "playing mobile games counts"

They didn't get it, and I tried to explain reasonably, but I got pretty pissed off pretty quickly.
>>
>>323303502
>if everyone is a "gamer" no one is. It loses all meaning.
That is exactly what I was saying. Gamer has lost all meaning.
>>
>>323303638
In terms of video games as a whole, yes.
>>
>>323303151

What the shit
>>
>>323297396
Gamedev here.
Everyone who i've ever seen at cons and had talked to who identified themselves as "gamers" were giant pieces of shit.
Doesn't matter if it was some tumblrina who's only played windwaker halfwy through or a big manchild who tries to get you all to youreslf to demonstrate their intricate knowledge of gaming by talking about his favorite games for hours while reeking of cheese.
They're all the same.
Trash.
If anything "grill gamers" and "dudebros" and "totes cod gamer brah" are better since they tend to read books/watch movies/be into music more ofthen than narrow minded "muh hardcore gamer" faggots.

TL;DR going up to people and saying "I'm a gamer" is like going up to people and saying "i'm a fag deal wit it" or "i'm a cuck"
>>
>>323304029
No anon, you are the faggot.
>>
Who the fuck cares about "labels". I play whatever I want to play. The only people who "label" people who enjoy different media are fucking turbonerds anyways and I couldn't care less what they think.
>>
wish i was a casual desu
i'd be able to take it easy and relax for once
>>
>>323304101
Okay.
Majority of other devs might as well be faggots then.
Gamer culture is cancer. It's all self-masturbatory garbage
>>
>>323304029
pretty much what this guy said.
>>
The problem is that the distinction between "non-casual" and "casual" gamer is incredibly subjective, and no one can come up with a firm definition. Even if we, in this thread, all agree on something, it's not going to matter.

Ultimately, people don't want to be classified as a casual gamer despite how true it is, because it's considered a negative thing. So everyone moves the goal post around to suit there personal opinion.

It makes this thread retarded.
>>
File: 1452069583552.jpg (19 KB, 403x389) Image search: [Google]
1452069583552.jpg
19 KB, 403x389
>>323303983

>Taking that SJW trash seriously

Bro, bro.

No.
>>
>>323303863
>Do you see why you people are fucking retarded yet?
If you weren't so retarded you'd realize that all of the definitions given complement each other. You're a casual if:
>You play only one game, no matter how much
>You play popular games only, no matter how much
>>
File: gaymen.png (41 KB, 873x578) Image search: [Google]
gaymen.png
41 KB, 873x578
Casuals and Hardcores do exist, even though I wouldn't call the latter either hardcore or real gamers or whatever the name is.
A casual is one who enjoy games in his free time not as a hobby but as a time killer. People who play Farmville or Angry Birds are like that.
But if you own a console or a gaming PC (or just play full games because you like them) you are indeed the second type. Pic related.
>>
>>323303705

>So it is impossible for someone to objectively explain what they love about a person?

If they have no idea what they actually like, sure. They may say they like someone's dimples because of social pressure but what they really like is that they can deepthroat without gagging.

But in the context I meant it's subjective that a person loves another for <set reasons>, because not everyone will love that person for the same reasons. Some might even hate them for it.
>>
>>323303863
Are you autistic? When I say "you don't play casual games" I obviously don't mean that if you play a single one of those games that you are casual. Just that if those are the games you mainly play then you are casual.

I shouldn't have had to explain that.

You can't seriously think that's what I said unless your entire reason for posting ITT is to argue, right?
>>
>>323303863
>>So if you play any game that is labeled as casual, you're now a casual?
No.
If you exclusively play casual games you are casual gamer.
>No matter the time invested?
Yes.
>What if you go home and play <hardcore game> for 5 hours but play some candycrush on the bus to pass the time?
It is not like being gay. Playing a casual game is not like fucking a dude. It doesn't make you a casual. If anything a hardcore gamer would try out almost all games to access them by himself.
>And I would think that people who only play 'hardcore' games would be offended to be paired up with people who are just videogame-buffs.
Offense depends on the person and who is insulting.
Like being called retarded by a retard wouldn't insult me in the slightest.
>Do you see why you people are fucking retarded yet?
Exactly like that insult for example. I feel more like a bully arguing with you honestly.
>>
>>323304143
This.
>>
>people trying to understand memes spawned on a taiwanese ramen shop
This is why you should never take memes
of 4chan out or talk about 4chan.
>>
>>323297396
>this deserves a thread
What's the point?
>>
>>323304168

Only casuals can't relax and take it easy.
>>
>>323304190
Whatever man. You keep thinking ridiculous bullshit.
>>
>>323304029
>I'm a gamedev so my opinion should matter more

Nobody gives a fuck. You are honestly worse than the people you mention.
>>
>>323304227
Some of his stuff is kind of neat, like the one about auto dealerships. And how funerals are one big racket to bleed you of money while you're grieving and vulnerable.

They also actually use facts and cite all their sources, which is cool and not usually done.
>>
>>323304239

>You're a casual if:
>You play only one game, no matter how much

So if all you played was Dwarf Fortress or DCS or a single MMO, you'd be a casual, right?
>>
>>323304029
Good thing most of /v/ doesn't identify themselves as gamers then. You're 100% right
>>
>>323298235
It's an insult if the person think being called casual gamer thinks of himself/herself as hot hardcore shit.
>>
>>323304143
That post was either very clever or retarded.
>>
File: idk what this image is.jpg (146 KB, 792x1008) Image search: [Google]
idk what this image is.jpg
146 KB, 792x1008
>>323304349
these things u do
stop them
>>
>>323304268

So if you play casual games for 30 hours a week, and hardcore games for 20 hours a week, you're a casual gamer, correct?
>>
>>323303062
>implying you wouldn't want to be surrounded by females all day
if anything the gay ones are in the football team
>>
>>323304029
>>323304190
>>323304143
Holy shit, this
People that identify openly with shitty labels like this are cancer
>>
The only people butthurt about being called casuals are casuals. This is a fact.
>>
>>323304190
>Majority of other devs might as well be faggots then.

No. Unlike you, I'm not going to take you being a faggot and generalize that to all game devs being faggots.
>>
>>323304408
Yes, exactly. Because I'm talking about a gamer status, not autis, status. If you play a single game you're interested in that particular thing instead of the whole genre, which is the definition of a "real" gamer. They might be more dedicated/autistic, but their taste in games (which directly relates to gamer "status") is limited.
Now stop being retarded
>>
File: 1325813204819.jpg (165 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1325813204819.jpg
165 KB, 600x450
>>323304391

If one video is lined with propaganda, then so are the others, because it's their personal view point. Enjoy what you want but be cognizent enough to realize when people are pushing their ideals on you.
>>
>>323297723
Porn
>>
>>323304029

I don't know man, I've gone to plenty of cons too and I don't see why /v/ insists upon this black and white thinking. I've met great people from all camps. Nobody is perfect and an exact copy of yourself. I met this chill bro at e3 who has similar taste in vidya as me and is fun to hang around with, BUT I once heard him call himself a 'gamer' in front of other people, the horror. Admittedly I don't much care for the word either but it didn't exactly break the friendship.
>>
>>323304408
YES.
How many times do we have to say that?
>>
>>323304745

I wasn't the guy you were speaking to before, I just wanted to raise that point. I understand what you mean now though.
>>
>>323304408
We covered this earlier in the thread.

Yes. The "hardcoreness" of the game apparently doesn't matter. If it's one and only one game that you play for any amount of time, you're a casual.

I think the general consensus I'm getting from this thread by having been here for way too long is that it's not so much about what games you play and how much you play them (though that is a factor) it's more about how passionate about videogames as a medium you are.

If you answer yes to "would you want to talk about videogames for a few hours without playing any" then you're not a casual. Probably.
>>
>>323304382
Gamedev matters because I stand at cons and have people walk up and talk to me

But yeah, i'm not even a gamer, I barely play shit since i'm too busy working towards my dreams and trying to make others have enjoyable experiences instead of assholes who lock themselves in, eat funions, cheese and diet coke all day, hotglue figurines and buy games with taxpayer money and they still think their brilliant ideas need to be implemented but if they are not it's the trash of the century.

I'm not the only one. Devs are usually normalfags. Remember that.
>>
>this entire thread
>trying to define the term casuals

Look at all these newfags. Being casual is only a term to insult a person and has no deeper meaning.

The fuck do you think most of /v/ was made off before you normalfaggots tagged along. Most were neckbeards that played vidya all day long and called each other casuals if you were just shit at a game or boss to male fun pf someone. Its not a term to describe how much someone played vidya
>>
>>323304734
"Gamedev" is an occupation.

"Gamer" is a cringey title that faggots who took late 90s marketing way too seriously cling on to.
>>
>>323304849
So lets say someone who speedruns only 1 game. Is he a casual?
>>
>>323304885
You don't have to like it but I think it is more if you were capable of talking about videogames for a few hours.
>>
File: 1449341899483.jpg (184 KB, 1448x916) Image search: [Google]
1449341899483.jpg
184 KB, 1448x916
I consider myself a casual. I don't play a lot as I've gotten older, and what little I do is either with friends or it's in my favorite genres. But even then, many of my close friends consider me to be a more serious gamer, solely because I still keep up with the industry and I enjoy learning who's working on what projects and hearing about people leaving studios for whatever reason, and I look forward to the contributions that they make towards the medium, even though I won't buy more than 2 new games this year.

>>323303502
>Someone who truly loves movies would have a huge collection of them

I want to say that this isn't necessarily true. I love movies, I love going to the movies, I love discussing the ins and outs of movies with other people that also love movies. The only DVDs/BDs I own are those that have been given to me as gifts, with maybe two exceptions. The same is true of anime and TV. I absolutely and completely love watching shit. But, I don't like having physical media around for visual mediums unless it's one of my favorites.
>>
>>323304937

>Look at all these newfags. Being casual is only a term to insult a person and has no deeper meaning.

Finally someone is being honest.

99% of you would be defined as a 'casual gamer' by the rest because you're all awful and don't like one another and just use it as an insult.
>>
>>323304847
Nah I know there are different people but still it's fucking terrible seeing people /v/ makes fun of actually exist in everyday life and be actually worse than what they talk about.

I don't feel like that shit deserves celebration, it should go down like fatshaming, racistshaming and whatever. Gotta bully to get the shit habits out and force people to see there's a world outside of sonic.
>>
>>323304986
Not about that one game. He is not a casual player of that one game but a casual gamer in general.
Yeah.
So yes.

Its like you can't grasp that you can be different levels of casual about different things.
You can be a gamer but casual when it comes to music.
You can play one game hardcore but be a casual in general

FOR FUCKS SAKE.
>>
I think casuals are just the kind of people who can't admit they're bad at a game, it's nice when someone says they're not too good at FPS or RTS but they try to improve and have fun.
>>
>>323305126
It is an insult just like faggot is an insult. That doesn't mean faggots don't exist. Someone who plays games casually is a casual.
>>
>>323305126
>20 people keep explaining to you how you are wrong
>one person says the one thing you believed from the start.
>Finally someone is being honest.

This is confirmation bias. This is such a beautiful example.
>>
>>323305195
>Casual
>a person who does something irregularly.

Someone who plays game regularly no matter the game isn't a casual by the very definition of casual. You want to insult him as a casual? Go ahead. However according to the dictionary he isn't a casual.
>>
>>323304502
No, because of my second criteria. Here's the other thing it's not necessarily a math problem and it's not exclusive to games. It's for all entertainment media. Once you've completed that book, watched that movie, beat that game with a reputation for being hardcore or deep or whatever, it's with you forever. You know the ins and outs, the references, the experience. Playing 10 more hours of some shitty mobile game won't detract from that.
>>
>>323305195

Now we're defining a casual gamer by every game they play? 'Oh He's a super hardcore gamer when it comes to Dwarf Fortress but he's a casual gamer when it comes to anything else." Holy fucking shit you people.
>>
>>323304832
I implore you to watch one of the other ones, and you'll see that it's not just a hardcore left-wing political values show. Obviously they're biased, it's a tv show made by humans. Calling it propaganda is kind of a stretch, but I get what you're saying.

Even though I knew from your first post that you were the kind of person who gets riled up about women playing videogames. Referring to this as propaganda reinforces the fact that you're kind of a pathetic nerd that "shitposts" on /v/ about muhsoggyknee and posts those ridiculous strawman comics, except you're not shitposting because you actually agree with everything you post..
>>
I just see it as a way to try to categorize people depending on how into/enthusiastic they are about the hobby.

This is of course nothing you can measure but that is also the case for all other cultural categorization.

There is of course nothing wrong about having a casual interest in video games, and it is also not wrong to have a casual interest in books.

But if a person goes to a book club and loudly claims to be a lover of books even though the only books the person have read the last ten years are harry potter/ lord of the rings then the other members of the book club will probably doubt your love for books.

In short don't pretend to be something that you are not. Being called a casual is also only a bad thing if you claim that you are not a casual.
>>
It's not that I hate casuals, it's just that I dont value their opions.

It's like talking about your favourite TV show and suddenly some faggots comes up saying 'yeah I know all about that show, I saw this one episode once'.
>>
>>323302726
From a neutral standpoint you have lost his argument

So yes, you ARE too stupid
>>
Casuals are fucking ruining videogames
In the not so distant future all games will be like The Order 1866
>>
>>323304259
going for the car analogy, i would put "hardcore gamer" as a pilot not a driver
>i really like driving, that's my hobby i'm one of the fastest kart driver of my entire city
>i'd love to be a F1 pilot, but i don't have the money, the time, nor started early enough for it tho

someone shows up
>nice i like driving too!
>i drive my son to soccer every weekend
>>
>>323297396
I think casual games are just mindless fun

but hardcore, harder games are games as an learning form, where you challenge your brain and reflexes

both are good, theres no bad way of playing games

but i prefer the latter, because i want to feel danger and mortality, and win because of my skill as a player

but like i said, both ways of playing games are good, i dont judge
>>
>>323305432
You can't like both Dwarf Fortress and Candy Crush.

It is literally impossible.
>>
>>323305321

It's hard to take those 20 people seriously when they all have (often) vastly different ideas of what a casual is.

So yes, it's more honest when someone admits that there's no deeper meaning - it's just an insult.
>>
>>323305394
>>323305432
So according to you idiots a casual or hardcore has to completely define the person in every hobby and everything.

You can't be a casual music listener and a hardcore gamer?

If you play one game hardcore you are a hardcore gamer? If you have one hardcore hobby you are hardcore all through everything.

That is weird.
>>
File: 1373398058167.jpg (82 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1373398058167.jpg
82 KB, 640x960
>>323297723
For my daily dose of furry porn and dickgirls, of course.
>>
>>323305513
>In the near future all games will be like a game that completely bombed.

You are not very bright.
>>
>>323305569
No it is the best example of confirmation bias I have ever seen.
You are not trying to understand the people explaining shit to you.
You are actively trying to misunderstand their point of view and you are not moving an inch.

It is fine when it comes to something stupid like that but if you keep that shit up IRL then you have a sad life in front of you.
>>
File: arinosan.jpg (23 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
arinosan.jpg
23 KB, 500x375
>>323305251

This. What sets casuals and chill bros apart is their confidence in themselves and their willingness to take constructive criticism and learn.

Pic related, Arino sucks at vidya but he isn't a casual.
>>
>>323305648
Music doesn't overlap with gaming. They are separate hobbies. Playing dwarf fort is also considered playing a game. How stupid are you?
>>
>>323305394
>>323305432
Jesus fucking christ just read >>323304239
>>323304745
>>
the distinction is between how the game is expected to treat the player, and how the player expects the game to treat them.

Casuals let their personal tastes over-run the point of what a game is, which is a challenge; where there's a winner and a loser. Casuals always want a game to treat them nicely, with easy mechanics, and a shallow learning curve that's easy to get into with no harsh penalties for "losing" (if losing is even possible) so they're able to jump in and out at will with little time spent.

Non-casuals and gamers play games as they come and adapt to deep/broad gameplay mechanics that may take some time to adjust to, and will play for many hours in a day if not the entire day if they're able to.

the problem comes from the economic side of the games industry. casuals will always outnumber the non-casual, so developers are completely forced to appeal their games to casuals in order to stay alive. once upon a time, all games were for gamers because you had to buy special equipment (a computer) and understand it before you could even play a game on it, if a game even existed.
and if one didn't exist, you made your own game.
BECAUSE YOU ARE A "GAMER"

tl;dr
the games market needs a crash.
>>
Has a point though.

It's not an insult. /v/ and the internet is slowly becoming more stupid and taking everything personal over meaningless shit.
>>
>>323305798
But dwarf fortress is not all games.
>>
>>323300336
I would say that yes, "casual" is synonym for someone who plays games that require very low skill level, regardless of how much time they play.

And I think "casual" is insult only to those who play babby's first FPS but consider themselves hardcore.
If I told suburban mom who plays candy crush that's she's casual, she probably wouldn't mind.
If I told her 13yearold xbox playing CoDfag that he's casual, I would probably get qite different response.
>>
>>323305816
Those definitions are fucking stupid.

By that logic a professional Starcraft player is a casual if they don't play many other games.
>>
>>323305816
Are you fucking retarded? Please show me the source of your autistic definitions.
>>
>>323297396
>So mad over a tumblr post he made a thread about it.
>>
>>323305901
>It's not an insult
Lurk more, newfag
>>
>>323305432
LOL DONT TRY LOGIC ON THESE PEOPLE
>>
>>323305549
>autism
>>
>>323305798
>dwarf fortress is a game
>so if someone plays that one everyday he is not just a hardcore dwarf fortress player but a hardcore player of all games
>gaming is a hobby
>music is a hobby
>so if someone is hardcore with that one hobby he is not just a hardcore gamer but also a music enthusiast.
>>
>>323305772

>You are not trying to understand the people explaining shit to you.

I'm mostly looking for them to just explain shit to each other because there's an awful lot of people who are redefining 'casual' to make sure that they're not considered one.
>>
>>323305921
Either does a gamer play all games.
What? I cook Asian food specifically as a chef in a restaurant and what? I am a casual cook because I only cook one type of cuisine?
>>
>>323305432
>'Oh He's a super hardcore gamer when it comes to Dwarf Fortress but he's a casual gamer when it comes to anything else."
What is so weird about that?
Can you not compartmentalize anything?
>>
>>323305251
also this.

nice thread today op
the posters seem smarter today and more open to others opinions
>>
>>323297396

Everyone knows exactly what people mean with "casual".

Bringing it up and pretending not to know what it means is exactly the kind of overly-sensitive stupid shit people from tumblr would post about.
>>
>literally posting tumblr
not exactly surprised, but that is low
like, very low
>>
>>323305984
Casual refers to taste, if you care about a single game you don't care about games in general and you're a casual
>>323305991
I don't need a source if they're right though. It's exactly what other people mean when they say you're a casual
>>
>>323306039
>All games
Guess you are a casual as well unless you are playing ALL games. Also >>323305984
I guess those Korean pros that earn thousands playing LoL/SC2 are casuals as well.
>>
>>323304981
Sorry noone gave a shit about ur opinion anon. Keep improving your shitposting though, u may get popular here someday
>>
>>323306196
You do realize that about 2/3 of the people here probably have Tumblr accounts for porn and fandom shit, right?
>>
>>323306085
See that is what you think.
What you thought from the beginning.
They never said they are included in their definition or anything.

you assume they include themselves because you started with the conclusion.

Just FYI I consider myself pretty casual. I don't play many games.
My definition of hardcore gamer didn't include myself.

Now lets see how you deal with that.
>>
File: 1281381469328.gif (2 MB, 286x210) Image search: [Google]
1281381469328.gif
2 MB, 286x210
>>323299383
I love how casual has moved from shit like Farmville on Facebook and plants vs zombies to AAA games.
>>
>>323306279
>It's exactly what other people mean when they say you're a casual
It is what you and only you meant. You fucking casual. Post your steam account, I bet you have less games than I do. Fucking casual.
>>
>>323306334
Prove it faggot
>>
>>323306334
You do realize 100% of your posts are bullshit right?
>>
> dwarf fortress is a game

DF isn't a game, it's a story generator.
the "game" behind DF is so easy you can build a wall and "win" immediately... but the story then is quite literally "these dwarves built a wall in their fortress entry and were completely boring pricks to watch doing nothing but farming, brewing, crafting, and popping out babies, all who never had any FUN."
>>
>>323305438

I really really hope you are shitposting because self contradiction in your post is appalling!!
>>
>>323306282
Its a spectrum not binary.
>>
>>323306395
Most people that play AAA games exclusively are fucking casuals.
>>
>>323297396
People have no problem in other areas of interest.
Someone who goes to cinema for blockbusters is a "movie fan".
Someone who regularly visits art houses, hunting for new independent releases is a "movie fan" as well.

Putting an equal sign between both of those is an abuse at every level beyond "both watch movies as a hobby".

But somehow, dividing "people who play games" on "those who play games as a way to spend time" and "those who specifically spend time on playing games" is a blasphemy
>>
File: 1451467994704.png (567 KB, 878x901) Image search: [Google]
1451467994704.png
567 KB, 878x901
The basic distinction found in every field is reliance on gimmicks or on actual features. Likewise, there is a respective distinction among the audience between those with a gimmicky reason for liking what they like and those who have an actual reason.

Of course casuals would deny the existence of casuals because the very reason they're casual is because they don't have an objective reason for their actions, only a subjective one. Every discussion comes down to them simply liking it as if it's just some personal thing that they chose and not something that can truly be better or worse than something else.

They refuse to acknowledge the fact that someone can be blind when it comes to how they spend their time and resources out of laziness or ignorance. Yet the loudness of fanboys show they even care more about what people call them than the subject they're defending - out of hypocrisy, they care more about being "real" than those who defend the existence of hardcore fans, which is ironic since that's the opposite of their underlying assumptions.

This is a pattern in many places.

Whenever someone begins to espouse some form of absolute relativism (notice the inconsistency), in culture or anywhere else, it's very likely to become a sort of shield. They can just say it's their opinion and no one can change it, even if they themselves deep down believe it's false.

I'd also like to say that hardcoreness/casualness don't necessarily correlate with time and resources devoted to the things. That partially depends on who the industry thinks is the bigger priority. There are many casuals who spend countless hours playing one game because they're unwilling to acknowledge anything they aren't already interested in. If anything, a "real" player nowadays would probably spend less time and resources on current games in protest of their growing casualization, as casuals spend more and more time. That doesn't automatically raise their status to that of a "real" player.
>>
File: 1289946416474.jpg (148 KB, 493x500) Image search: [Google]
1289946416474.jpg
148 KB, 493x500
>>323299964
>being better at video games than someone else is cause for an insult
Just how fucking insecure does one have to be for this to be a thing?
>>
>>323305650
Tumblr has dickgirls? Damn what am I doing in this shithole?
>>
>>323306537
>Spectrum
Just like gender?
Fuck off Tumblr
>>
>>323306282
You can be a casual and still be less casual than somebody else.

Its like being fat.
you are fat.
But other people are fatter.
That doesn't mean you are not fat.
>>
>>323306137
still a hardcore gamer played nearly all genres

no you are a asian food chief, not a all food hardcore chief, and being a fucking chief you tried others cosines

unlike someone that only eat noodles being a asian food appreciator
>>
>>323306282
LoL is a casual game and SC2 is shit so yes
>>
>>323306657
>SC2 pros and LoL pros are casuals
>I am not
:^)
>>
>>323305901
It's an actual word /v/ took from the game industry because they don't like said industry moving towards marketing and designing games for casual players. /v/ thinks it's a negative change. From its perspective it is not a straightforward insult onto itself but rather that they think casuals are lame people and who should go away.

To use an example.

There's the insult called idiot

and then there's calling someone a stamp collector because you think stamp collectors are lame and should go away.

That's really the gist of it.
>>
>guy comes up expecting /v/ to be able to formal logic
>/v/ can't formal logic
>no one is surprised.
>>
File: mariokart.jpg (71 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
mariokart.jpg
71 KB, 600x900
Are we posting times Tumblr BTFO'd /v/?
>>
>>323305984
>By that logic a professional Starcraft player is a casual if they don't play many other games.
no you already said his tittle PROFESSIONAL
he is a professional gamer, not a casual nor a hardcore (he can be any of those on his free time tho)
>>
>>323306406
>I bet you have less games than I do
Which has nothing to do with the definition I posted. Sorry you're too retarded to pirate
>>
File: backpedaling.gif (35 KB, 117x176) Image search: [Google]
backpedaling.gif
35 KB, 117x176
>>323306669
>All games
>Now it is all genres
So someone who plays thousands of games but only the RPG genre is a casual as well. God this thread is hilarious for watching people backpedal.
>>
>>323306279
>Games in general

The fuck? So if I like RPGs, puzzle games, FPSs and top down shooters, I'm a casual because I don't care about sports games, racing games, MOBAs and grand strategy?
>>
File: 1440213551151.jpg (86 KB, 524x527) Image search: [Google]
1440213551151.jpg
86 KB, 524x527
>>323306545
I was just about to write the same analogy. It really doesn't make sense why this only happens with video games.
>>
File: 1285723951465.jpg (36 KB, 471x355) Image search: [Google]
1285723951465.jpg
36 KB, 471x355
>>323306825
TIP TOP KEK
>>
>>323305408
Hey guy, you've yet to reply to my post. Here it is for easy viewing. Give me my (You) instead of patting your own back.
>>
>>323306585
you fool, you posted the pic, now the thread is gone to shit
>inb4 copypasta
>>
>>323306868
I swear you people are actively trying to misunderstand each other now.
>>
>>323306389

It's what I think because it's the logical conclusion of nearly everybody having their own definition of what a casual gamer is. I mean sure it was my original theory but based on the responses it's quite clear that there's a lot of debate over what 'casual' means. Is it being skilled? Only playing hardcore games? Is it general knowledge? There are people actually arguing that someone who makes a LIVING off playing a game can be considered a casual.

>Now lets see how you deal with that

Alright. I never said that everyone redefines casual gamer as someone that they aren't, just that it's a common trend. So really you're trying to argue a point I never made, and you're being smug about it.

You're a casual at debating.
>>
File: 1411926601235.gif (3 MB, 298x224) Image search: [Google]
1411926601235.gif
3 MB, 298x224
>>323306848
>I am not a casual
>Trust me
>>
>>323306016
It's not an insult if you don't take it at heart, because it means nothing to you.

You just play casually. It's actually more insulting to whoever uses some adjective around, labelling people they don't really care or even affect.

It's like a black guy telling another black man a nigger. They're ok with it. Even white guys saying nigger to a good friend. Words come loaded with intention, and that's the power behind them. But calling someone a "casual"? it's just lame and childish, better just call them a boogerpenis.
>>
>>323306827
So they're a professional when they're being a professional, but when they're not playing, they're a casual.

This is dumb.
>>
File: Dodgeball.gif (4 MB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
Dodgeball.gif
4 MB, 500x263
>this thread
>>
>>323306825
>Black people and women get blue shells and lightning most of the times
>Still can't reach white males
more like Tumblr BTFO'd itself
>>
>>323306825
Yes, other races are inferior and therefore need help from glorious whites. Thanks for agreeing tumblr
>>
>>323307125
As if this thread wasn't retarded enough already.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.