[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will augmented reality make more of a difference to games than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Will augmented reality make more of a difference to games than virtual reality?
>>
>>323287316

AR is currently comparable to how VR was in the 90s. All hype, deceptive marketing and stupidly high price point.
>>
>>323288057
Same as VR then?
>>
>>323288120

I know this is a shitpost but AR dev kit from Microsoft costs thousands, heavy and has a tiny as fuck FOV. So, no.
>>
Unlikely
Why would I want video games to have anything to do with the real world?
>>
Daily reminder that the actual AR viewing area with the microsoft hololens is a lot smaller than in the E3 demo
>>
>>323288282
Give it time
>>
I've worked with companies whose main focus is AR (I'm an optical engineer)
Most actually useful AR right now is specialized for various military and industrial use (target acquisition, HUD overlays for field data, pilot helmets). Products like the Hololens and Google Glass have ways to go before AR is applied in casual life the ways people are expecting, definitely not anywhere near being adaptable for something like video games any time soon.
>>
VR is for neets
AR is for social events. Eventually we will have tables where you can buy and play any board game with friends, without leaving your home.
Sounds better to me than jerking to waifu VR all day (which i will do, but get tired of)
>>
>>323289385
>Sounds better to me than jerking to waifu VR all day (which i will do, but get tired of)

Don't lie to yourself.
>>
>>323289385
Holy shit, I can play games with friends without leaving my home? What do I even need video games for?
>>
>>323287316

No, augmented and virtual reality is just gimmicks. Developers should work on something practical that helps enhance video games instead of trying to introduce something completely new and unnecessary.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.