[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Last Remnant FUN and GOOD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: imgThe%20Last%20Remnant10[1].jpg (138 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
imgThe%20Last%20Remnant10[1].jpg
138 KB, 1280x720
Is The Last Remnant FUN and GOOD?
>>
I played quite a bit of it, ended up buying it on steam, but got quite pissed about the progression system they have, where it locks you into shit based on what class you were when you leveled or wahtever it was, never finished.
>>
>>323285002
It's only one of those two things
>>
>>323285107
Does it have good music and locations?
>>
>>323285002
Fun? No.
Good? Hell yes.

It can be incredibly punishing if you play "conventionally", using your knowledge from other RPGs. But the battle system is probably my favourite "turn based" one I've ever played.
>>
>>323285174
Locations are pretty fucking generic, can't really remember the music like I can Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma or even Skyrim for that matter.
>>
>>323285174
Absolutely, these are two of the main selling points of the game. The characters are a bit generic and wooden but you get used to it.
>>
>>323285228
>>323285256
FUCK, I'm waiting for FF IX to release on PC and have nothing else to play, I hope I won't hate TLR
>>
>>323285228
>>323285150
>a good challenge can't be fun
>fun is only smiling and having an easy time
I want this meme to end.
>>
>>323285324
Nah it's fun, I'd play it if you got it for under $20 or so, it's a good romp, classes are fun and I actually enjoyed the combat, and I don't like turn based combat all that much.
>>
>>323285363
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>323285363
>misrepresentation: the post
I want you to end.
>>
I remember I got this mixed up with infinite Undiscovery somehow, that mistake still haunts me
>>
>>323285363
LOL check out this retard
>>
Depends on your definition of fun. If you find exploring game mechanics through trial and error fun or if you really love sitting at wikis calculating the very best most powerful combinations then it's amazingly fun.
But if you're the sort of guy who complains from the lack of tutorials or finding yourself in a dead end of character development and have to restart the game in order to see the side content, then get away from it, this game would piss you off.
>>
>>323285002
It has some very hype boss fights and when you finally manage to win then you feel amazing. The PC version never gets to the point where level scaling can render the game unwinnable like the original but if you don't manage your leveling you're in for a bad time.

It does a dick move where to fight the games superboss you need 100% completion, and all quests have time limits based on progression and expire without warning. My advice if you want 100% the first time around is to follow a guide or talk to the bar helpers religiously and recruit everyone with flavor text and talk to them every time you drop by until they get a bonus.
>>
>>323286040
wow, sounds like a FUN TIME
>>
>>323285002
it is fun and good.
>>
>>323285002
god, I hate those birds.

>casts curses at the beginning
>half of the union fucking dies and doesn't pass the check.

I don't even wanna play it anymore.
besides, what's up with the races? there is no lore about the relationship all the races have to each other at all. they just kinda co-exist.
>>
>>323286839
The birds only cast curse the first time.
You run up with one union while the rest stay out the first time
>>
>>323285002
No. Don't let the seemingly tactical combat fool you it's half-arsed and unfinished.
>>
>>323285002
Reminded me of a budget FFXII to be honest with you family
>>
It is fun and good, but it's too good for a jRPG. In this one you actually have to think about your builds, strategize in combat and explore the world. If you just run through the story on autopilot like you do with any FF it'll just feel clunky and cluttered with unnecessary elements.
>>
File: free_to_play.png (325 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
free_to_play.png
325 KB, 500x514
Is there a TLR guide for retards?
Like those EYE or stalker condensed starter guides on one picture?
>>
>>323289571
Here's a short guide:
>Pick as had fights as you can possibly manage
>Avoid fighting weak singular enemies
>Between story missions explore major towns, particularly their main streets and taverns
>Do all the sidequests you can find
>When you spot branching paths in overworld or plainly new areas go and explroe them by yourself, there are massive chunks of the game you'd never visit on the story quests
>Figure out what types of heroes and standard and don't bother with them but hire all the unique ones. Example: at the start of the game you'll be able to hire two guys: Baulson and O'Grady, first is unique, second is a generic one, don't bother with him from the point where you can get other unique heroes
>Don't even bother with soldiers, they're a remnant of terrible 360 version
>Focus your heros' specialization, pick one and disable abilities that support other specializations, except healing
>Use your digger as much as possible
>Stock up on healing items and try to use them as much as possible, this will develop your heroes' healing abilities and possibly let them develop healing magic
>If you really think you need more control over everything there is a mod that lets you unlock maximum number of squads and heroes as well as let you manually distribute equipment between everyone, not just MC
>>
File: 1348142570998.gif (2 MB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1348142570998.gif
2 MB, 193x135
>>323290462
there is a mod that lets you unlock maximum number of squads and heroes as well as let you manually distribute equipment between everyone, not just MC

What in the god damn.
>>
>>323290673
In the game you've got limit on how many squads you can make and how many heroes in total can be in those, limit grows with story progression but it never reaches possible maximum of the game and number of heroes in squads never exceeds average of 3 per squad, when each squad can hold up to 5 persons. Also you can only manage equipment of the main character rest of you heroes will instead occasionally ask you if they can take new equipment or crafting materials.
This game is all about indirect control really, you can't manage others equipment, you can't develop their skills manually, just through the abilities you make them use and occasional dialogue about it. And even in battle you don't have direct control, you can only give each squad a general direction like "use combat arts" or "use magic" or "keep yourself alive" so then every character in the squad will do something he deems best, which depends on a billion different factors none of which are ever explained to you.
This whole thing is what makes this game either amazing or unplayable depending on your tastes.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.