[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: skyrim1.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
skyrim1.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
What went wrong?
>>
/v/
>>
>>323258098
Bethesda made it and not literally any other developer.
>>
>>323258098
What do you mean? Skyrim is rad.
>>
It's simply too shitty at a core level to salvage, even with all the mods in world
>>
>>323258098

Visual appeal and 'new ideas' took the place of story and gameplay.

Please stop making these threads.
>>
nothing, bethesda just lies and hypes the game before it's done. Then modders fix some things about the game and bethesda takes all the credit.
>>
>>323258098
It became too popular.
>>
>>323258373
This. The game is just fundamentally trash. No graphics, content or RPG stat mods can save it.
>>
>>323258098

First, combat:

Suffers from the same problem of "stealth-archer" combat superiority as Oblivion did and an AI with goldfish memory.

AI does not grasp much beyond basic "maybe block" and "swing wildly".

And when using blades it's always superior to use daggers - the 2 handed weapons wer a worthless minor increase of damage per hit, with no real increase damage rate that was worth being that exposed mid-swing. Better to just overwhelm someone with a dagger.

It's fine to just keep swinging whereas doing that in Dark Souls or The Witcher (any of them) will get you killed fast.

Second, level design.

It's lazy as far as open world games go. Much of it seems filler. Mountain ranges are manipulated to make the world have a series of large "hallways" to give the illusion of scale.

Cities look like absolute nonsense. The great holds are barely fit to be called a village. The villages are literally just on average two or three buildings.

All the villages look like extremely primitive recently-made survival huts rather than dwellings fit for towns that allegedly have existed for hundreds of years.

And when the world isn't lazy by effort, it's lazy in motivation. Whiterun was literally Rohan from Lord of the Rings.

The parts of the world that actually do look interesting and well crafted, are largely avoided, as the game seems to always want to pigeonhole you into being in the most boring area for a while due to the main quest.

Which brings me to the third point.
>>
File: 647.jpg (36 KB, 661x735) Image search: [Google]
647.jpg
36 KB, 661x735
>>323259693
>which brings me to the third point
>>
>>323259693

Third, the story.

It's a retards plagiarism of Fallout New Vegas with shoehorned "chosen one" nonsense pretending to be Viking mythology "influence".

Oh, an empire that is but an imitative shell of it's former self that is stretched too thin and largely adheres to more diverse/metropolitan politics dealing with an enemy who used to be on friendly/neutral terms but then went radical conservative nativist and is actually putting up a decent fight despite the lack of training, resources, and outright superstitious of any advanced medicinal or technological medium?

I wonder where they got that idea.

And then they just threw in "Valhalla and Ragnarok but you are Thor but also you win and the world-eater snake is actually a wyvern that we called a dragon for some reason"

Honestly the greatest incentive to do side-quests is not that you get to see new things, but that it's an excuse to not have to put up with the droll quest-line.
>>
>>323258098
>combat and gameplay
>mechanics
>story
>enviroments
>bad and generic dungeons
>artstyle
>audio
>graphics
yeah that's it
only thing i liked from the game was the music
>>
>>323258098
the "fans"
>>
>>323258098
Clearly nothing as it is GOTY.
>>
>>323258098
Mechanics made for casuals
>>
File: vee and fam.png (138 KB, 433x709) Image search: [Google]
vee and fam.png
138 KB, 433x709
>>323258358
>>
Shitty story/mechanics/skill system
Pretty good music though.
>>
>>323258098
>tfw have over 1000 played hours on skyrim according to steam

What went wrong is that the game is so shit you need over 200 mods to turn it into a decent game.
>>
>>323258098
Oversimplification of game mechanics, also lack of map/dungeon/enemy diversity.
Honestly, we've been over this a thousand times.
>>
>>323258358
haha
>>
>>323258098
Fucking /v/ just being /v/

This game was fun as fuck to play. I bet every one of you fucks who actually played it easily clocked on 100 hours if not more.

It's not as "uniquely handcrafted" as Todd the God screamed it out to be. It's story is full of shit and not at all interesting. Most enemies become piss easy even on the hardest difficulty when reaching mid-late game.

It's got flaws, but it's not a bad game at all. Most people will enjoy playing it
>>
File: TESV 2015-06-06 05-28-48-28.jpg (595 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TESV 2015-06-06 05-28-48-28.jpg
595 KB, 1920x1080
>>323262705
Yeah, it's a bad game. It's actually a terrible game. It has very few redeeming features.
I have 650 hours in it, exclusively because I was able to mod every single aspect of it.
>>
>>323262705
Skyrim is fun for the first 10 hours when you're just out exploring and discovering shit. Then you start to realize that 90% of the dungeons are pretty much the same thing and combat has absolutely no depth.
>>
Ultimately, the biggest problem with Skyrim was memedate.
>>
>>323262705
>It's got flaws, but it's not a bad game at all
It may not be a bad game, but it's mediocre at best. Not to mention it's dumbed down from previous installments and the combat is worse than it was in morrowind. Furthermore, with such a vast library of fucking great titles at most peoples fingertips, why would you waste time on mediocre games?
>>
File: 1352700967000.jpg (193 KB, 520x853) Image search: [Google]
1352700967000.jpg
193 KB, 520x853
>>323263071
>it's a terrible game
>I have 650 hours in it
>>
>>323266967
Shoulda kept reading until the end.
>>
>>323267185
Modded to hell or not, 650 hours on a game and you call it terrible?

Quit memeing son
>>
>>323258098

Obvious ENB mod because Bethesda is a complete failure when it comes to faces.

But THEN this game was actually enjoyable and is still ranking second in my steam list. But then again I am not a no-lifer with over 1000 hours on record on my steam, so my opinion counts very little here.
>>
>>323267363

theyre just clocked masturbating to those autistic waifu sex mods
>>
File: ˃that tfw when.jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
˃that tfw when.jpg
17 KB, 350x277
>>323267363
>>
I liked it, im playing it rn. Its not the best game ever. But its fun
>>
>>323258098
Nothing went wrong. It was the standard pile of shit that Bethesda puts out and people ate it up.
>>
They tried making it cinematic and epic. You're the chosen one everywhere. The problem with that was the fighters guild turned into some bizarre questline about werewolves instead of doing fighters guild stuff. The thieves guild didnt have any quests about stealing things, if I remember rightly. There's so many things they thought would be cool and epic in the design room that turned into pathetic jokes in the actual game. Example: all the civil war battles of like 5 men vs 5 men. (They made the same tiny battles mistake in Oblivion) It's like they learned nothing. Dragons were annoying to fight. Your character doesn't even talk, which is a good thing but it clashed with the "you're the chosen one" stuff every guild forces on you. They should've tried making a fun game.
>>
Same thing that is wrong with every elder scrolls game, it's the best one yet but they still have a lot of work to do to make it good.
>>
>>323267767
>Try to counter by saying the first quest was to go steal shit from a house
>Realize it's from Oblivion
>Remember other Oblivion thieves guild quests
>cry from glory

Seriously, someone make a side by side comparison chart between Skyrim and Oblivion.
>>
>Welcome to the biggest city in Skyrim!

And then there's like, 30ish people in there? Why not randomly generated crowds like GTA? Feels more like a game made by cheapskates, just like every other game this studio makes.

Anyways, it feels like a big, dead, empty world you are condemned to roam without any fear of something threatening you (especially with the stupid quicksaving idiocy), and from my time with it from forever ago, the possibilities weren't even that rich in terms of stumbling into things.

Other complaints that come to me are:
>instantly drinking 10 potions whenever you want (basically ruins the combat)
>relatively boring world with minimum artfulness
>world feels too safe, and boring, and dead, and empty (did I mention that?)

Finally, it's another "open world" where nothing actually cool about an open world shows up. Like, for example, why not have characters wandering the world, following your trail? Big worlds conceal a lot, and an open world means that you can have something from one 'level' cross into another. Everything in Skyrim feels atomized, broken up.
>>
>>323267971
>>323267767

the first few guilds started out ok in skyrim, but the 'special tasks' you were given got more and more stupid and all consuming until thats all the 'guilds' were

the werewolf skill tree in the vampire dlc made being a werewolf pretty fun if overpowered though
>>
Shitty quests and NPCs for the most part. Casualization removing RPG mechniacs. etc.
>>
I loved the ambiance of the game. The only real problem is that it looks like shit in complete daylight and that all playstyles that aren't sword amd shield archerer suck ass. Magic and stealth breaks the shit out of the game and grinding for gear sucks ass.

I had a blast playing level 1 run though. Followers were a big help. Daedric artifacts mattered and better stock up on potions when you meet a frost troll or go for a dragon or a giant. Dragon priests would wreck your shit and generally everything felt scaled and well balanced.
>>
>>323259693
Good points. There is something seriously shitty about Skyrim's atmosphere. Not only are the villages and "cities" absolute trash, as you said, but there is just something haphazard and amateurish about their layouts, as if they were designed by a group of minimum wage indie developers in one day. They feel awkward and fake as fuck, whereas in Oblivion even the small villages felt slightly alive. They seem to have at least been planned out to some extent.

And then the NPCs. Oblivions were downies with fake as fuck "conversations," but they still made the universe feel alive with their little schedules and houses. Skyrim's NPCs are all dead as fuck, they interact with no one except le special chosen one. Even then, their interactions are often completely nonsensical, and even worse than no interaction whatsoever
>I yiel- NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME HERE

And then quests. Oblivion, for all the shit it gets, and is, had some good quests, especially the Dark Brotherhood questline. In Skyrim, every quest, for reasons I can't remember, felt like a shitty mod made in five minutes.

But by far the biggest difference is in the small details. In Oblivion little things would happen that made all the shitty combat and running around worth it. You'd discover a tiny cache, or a love letter in a hidden nook with some loot. You'd do a quest a certain way and and really feel as though you had to take your time and get involved for a certain outcome. You had to role play to an extent. Skyrim is a ctrlv of every straight to tv action movie in the last decade, everything feels cheap.
>>
File: 1416869397505.jpg (75 KB, 800x850) Image search: [Google]
1416869397505.jpg
75 KB, 800x850
>>323270629
>I loved the ambiance of the game
>>
>>323258098
>GOTY 2011, more than 200 overall awards, 96 Metacritic score, 9/10 and 10/10 from every reviewer, 92% positive review on Steam, biggest free gaming modding community with best mods, still one of the top sold and played game on Steam after 5 years, one of the best open-world rpgs out there.

That is what went wrong.
>>
File: 72028-0-1450485532.jpg (530 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
72028-0-1450485532.jpg
530 KB, 1920x1080
Needs mods to be enjoyable.
>>
dovakhin dovakhin
nanana nan
dovakhin
>>
>>323258098
Return to dice rolls and going full mmo combat would save it (dont need to aim where to hit, just click on the enemy).
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.