[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 1452035819989.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3263) Image search: [Google]
1452035819989.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3263
What went wrong?
>>
Godawful marketing. The average consumer thought the Wii U was an accessory instead of a new system.

It's a nice little system though and a perfect complementary console for a PC gamer.
>>
It all went wrong with the N64 when Nintendo pissed off third parties.
>>
>>323224612

There's only 4 third party exclusives.

2 if you don't count games funded by nintendo.

There are no small games that people spend a little money on. The store on there is almost barren.

Lots of problems.

If you don't like Nintendo or nuPlatinum, it's a useless console.
>>
It has like five exclusives worth owning if you aren't a toddler.

And three of them are censored.
>>
>>323225026

>Nintendo pissed off third parties with the N64

Anon, Nintendo pissed off 3rd parties way earlier.

The reason why SEGA was able to jump from 9% market share to 49% market share during the Genesis was because Nintendo was pissing off third parties and they all left.
>>
File: 1434506358265.jpg (66 KB, 425x437) Image search: [Google]
1434506358265.jpg
66 KB, 425x437
>>323225026
>yfw if nintendo had used cds instead of cartridges for the n64 they wouldnt be in the state that they are in now
>yfw the playstation probably would have failed
>>
>>323224612
inb4 nothing
>>
>>323225376
if nintendo had used cds then playstation would actually BE a part of nintendo
>>
>>323225594
how?
>>
>>323224612
monster hunter 3ultimate isnt a wii u exclusive.
>>
>>323225291
God damn.

That they never learned from this is amazing. I suppose it's good old japanese-style arrogance. I can respect Nintendo for their game development abilities, but business wise they are a joke.
>>323225710
Because they were supposed to work together. Sony would've only supplied the tech for CDs.
>>
>>323225821
>Because they were supposed to work together. Sony would've only supplied the tech for CDs.

that was for the SNES, by the time they were making the n64 they had already cut ties with them
>>
>>323224612
Only has 2 good exclusives, and one of them can't compete with Sanic All Stars Transformed

I'll wait until WiiU piracy to play mighty no 9
>>
>>323225710
Sony failed to hit the market by themselves. They looked towards Nintendo to do so (since they already had foothold SNES). They produced an SNES CD attachment. Nintendos boss at the time hated that millions were going to Sony over this attachment licensing fee. So, they partnered with Phillips to replace Sony. By idk 92 or 93 the double crossing was messed up to the exxxtreme, and nintendo was ditched by phillips and sony (both who released their own systems using their CD tech).

Effectively, if Nintendo actually utilized the technology Sony had produced and taken Kutaragi, there would be no playstation. Instead, Yama got greedy as fuck.
>>
>>323226512
I somehow confused mighty no 9 with wonderful 101

Piss off im tired and been drinking
>>
>>323225793
but the 3DS version is worthless unless you have wiiu
>>
>>323226727
>but
There are no buts.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 159x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 159x240
>>323225291
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD

Man, for a company that kept trying to get internet connected consoles working in the past, why are they so far behind in the present? Wii U has barely acceptable networking practices, and the Wii had abysmal ones.
>>
>Hyrule Warriors
>Smash
>Wind Waker
>exclusive
>>
>>323227362
Worth noting that the wii straight up has no online anymore

I was playing FF11 on ps2 for years after the next gen came out..
>>
>>323227094
He's not wrong, though.
>>
>>323227475
How is Hyrule Warriors not- Oh. You mean the handheld games... ha, you silly person you.
>>
>>323227612
>Worth noting that the wii straight up has no online anymore
That's just plain not true. I can still play Cod4/blops1/mw3 still without issue. I imagine other games on the wii, like MHTri still work, too.
>>
>>323227362
>why are they so far behind in the present
Because it didn't work for them back then, so obviously there is no reason that it should work now, even if the competition is miles ahead. The quote about how Nintendo employees don't even know about PSN or XBox Live is simply baffling to me. It's like I mentioned above, Arrogance.
>>
>>323224612
Lack of marketing.
The name.
>>
>>323227908
They don't.All online for DS and Wii are shut down
>>
>>323228254
It had more than enough marketing. I was constantly seeing it on tv

It just had no appeal.
>>
>>323228087
First I've heard of this quote. Any more info I could use to find a source?
>>
>>323228680
It's an anonymous source, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. But considering the amount of information in this article and the way Nintendo handles their internet stuff, I doubt it's fake.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

>"At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in [Nintendo's] development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them?"

Tell me if you prefer a pastebin or whatever.
>>
>>323228948
Naw, that's perfect. I can make a pastebin myself if I need it, I'll just bookmark it to poke at later.

Thanks Anon.
>>
>>323224612
People grew up. Kids games only go so far.
>>
>>323224612
Splatoon alone justifies its existence
>>
for whatever went wrong we certainly won with great games though with some 3rd party support we could have gotten a lot more and the obvious sequels/remakes that would have been perfect for it
but considering Nintendo removed the tingle tuner from we and we haven't seen a four swords game I doubt Nintendo can even handle it
>>
File: wiiu_screenshot_tv_01h4s96.png (1 MB, 1280x792) Image search: [Google]
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01h4s96.png
1 MB, 1280x792
>>323224612
Nothing. It's easily (easily) the best console this generation if you already have a PC which lets you play multiplat games (at a moderate framerate).

Marketing is shit so it didn't sell, though. That shouldn't really matter to you.
>>
>>323230198

>Best console

Doesn't make it any less shit.
>>
File: crying wojack.jpg (8 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
crying wojack.jpg
8 KB, 205x246
DELETE THIS THREAD RIGHT FUCKING NOW
>>
Five things:

1. Marketing
2. Marketing
3. Marketing
4. Marketing
5. Marketing

Bonus answer: Marketing
>>
>tfw Mario Kart 8 and Smash were the best games on this system
>tfw Mario Maker was overpriced bullshit
>tfw Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame and SMTxFE got censored

Why didn't I buy a PS4 instead?
>>
Brand awareness. It's a console for kiddies, right?
>>
Absolutely love this console. Playing Xenoblade and Bayonetta 2 lately.

Why does this thing have better graphics than any other current gen console?!
>>
>>323230198

>PC+Wii-U master race!!! LOL!!!

Fuck off.

All consoles are shit, including your toddler console
>>
>>323224612
>Console for kids
>Even kids don't want it
lmao
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.