[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does it feel like this game just got over looked by most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
Why does it feel like this game just got over looked by most people last gen?
>>
>>323191495
because it wasn't that good
>>
>>323192138
How? It has one of the best art directions of any game I have played in years. Decent combat considering it wasn't made by some crazy jap character action team. I mean the least interesting level if I had to chose might have been the one with all the oriental stuff fighting samurai bugs, but even it was miles ahead of most shit recently.
>>
>>323192473
It just doesn't have that "it" factor, anon. It's something that can't be quantified or explain. It just is or it isn't. And this game just wasn't that good.
>>
It's overly padded and clearly incomplete
>>
Mainly because it appeals to an audience that doesn't exist anymore. 3D platformers are stone fucking dead.
>>
>>323193150
That's too bad, this game had the most interesting levels and environment I have ever seen, I guess it was just too odd to really catch on. I honestly think if this game were to be released more recently it would have done a lot better. I have recently found out about another possible gem cold Folklore that I will be ordering soon to hopefully get some more fairy tale weirdness.
>>
>>323193534
Also a just okay game. It draws you in but doesn't really deliver. Just a warning.
>>
Fuck dude.
>>
>>323193653
If it offers a good enough amount of interesting art and strangeness I think it will be enough for me at 12 bucks. I mean honestly the only game I can immediately think of with an interesting art direction recently was Bloodborne.
>>
>>323193150
As is the goth audience, which this was clearly going for.
>>
>>323191495
i was disappointed that the game had no scary or spook factor.Still liked it.
>>
It was objectively worse than the first game in every department apart from visuals.
>>
No idea, if it game out now it would probably be a lot more well received because it's basically only good as a walking simulator to experience all the different art and atmosphere. I guess it came out a bit too early to get in on that stuff.
>>
File: .jpg (828 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
828 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>323194406
Ayy lmao
>>
Because they would rather fap to Elizabeth from Bioshock instead of Alice, the better girl with a better game.

Also, its incomplete because EA are evil.
>>
>>323194737
EA should die and sell its rights to more competent companies.
>>
>>323191495
It was tiring.

The original was better(outside of obviously - worse graphics) and I think it was bundled with the game as well.
>>
I've had it installed on my hd for ever but never got around to playing it. I like that her outfits change from level to level and you play as a waifu
>>
>>323195714
I honestly only thought the combat was a bit meh and the rest of the game was great, but in an age where the Witcher is getting game of the year it seems combat isn't relevant anymore. Witchers combat was way worse than this games. I did start the first Alice though, I will be getting around to finishing it at some point.
>>
>>323191495
Good art.
Not so bad gameplay.
Too long for a game that doesn't introduce any new concepts after a couple of chapters.
>>
Sic semper EA
>>
It was ok, I stopped playing around the underwater type world, the clockwork castle area was tedious as fuck.
>>
>>323194127
>i was disappointed that the game had no scary or spook factor
How so, mate? It was spooky as fuck with the story in the background, implied atrocities doctor did to Alice and her sister and level design could give you shivers sometimes.
Pic obviously related.
>>
it just went on for way too fucking long
>>
love the game dont get me wrong. levels are beautiful. only thing going for it. combat is shallow as fuck. upgrading was really shitty and boring. some levels just dragged on way too damn long(japan level and teapot/steampunk level)

this is just my personal opinion but alot of the memory lines had no significance to the story and some were even cringy
>>
>>323191495
a great PS2 game made a generation too late and the world moved on.
>>
Its easy and boring
>>
File: 177934.jpg (202 KB, 1799x1012) Image search: [Google]
177934.jpg
202 KB, 1799x1012
>>323191495
Because it's only redeeming factor was the art. The combat was unbelievably shallow and gets boring quick. Also it's an incomplete game.
>>
>>323191495
it's a drag to play for very long, there's something missing from it..
thanks for reminding me that i've gotta beat it though, i like it enough to be compelled to do that
>>
>>323195406

Or license that way they really get to make money off the sweat, blood and tears of the developers with almost zero risk to them.
>>
>>323191495
because the original was much, much better.
>>
>>323193150

While I would say platformers certainly aren't as popular as they used to be, this game being a platformer has nothing to do with the mixed reviews it received.

Basically what has already been pointed out:

-Levels are way too long
-Gameplay gets easy and repetitive super fast
-Story is...pretty bad. I can understand if you were lost at "an epic edgy dark adventure in wonderland" which of course the first one had, but the actual details of the plot in the first make perfect sense. In the second game, not so much, it feels very forced and the conclusion isn't satisfying.
-Might be a nitpick on my end, but I don't even think the soundtrack for this one is that good, it's standard and sounds ok but it largely forgettable.

The game looks pretty good for the most part, and the aesthetic direction is nice and clearly had some effort put into it, but that's it.
>>
Because its not a good game at all, and it is the definition of style of substance?

>platforming and combat are both dreadfully boring, monotonous, and repetitive
>game goes on for 20 hours when it only has maybe 5 hours worth of actual content
>story is fucking retarded compared to the original

Its pretty typical modern EA garbage. Got it for 5 dollars and still feel ripped off.
>>
>>323191495
Because it wasn't that interesting.
Never been more bored in a beautiful and interesting place. Kept playing it just hoping that something amazing would happen and it never did.
>>
I love this game
>>
>>323192473
Art direction simply can't carry a game. The game is just far too repetitive. It throws you into far too many fights and the combat isn't deep or satisfying enough to justify it.

It's an alright game, but it's no surprise it was overlooked
>>
>>323191495
Comparison to the original: Chris Vienna's unique music gets replaced by unremarkable music (except for OP's pic level), the characters are much less interesting, Cheshire Cat got tamed bad, gameplay as repetitive as the original

Overall a good game but forgettable compared to the first one.
>>
>>323194220
Unless this is bait you're retarded.
Do you even remember how bad combat was in the first game?
>>
Okay game ar best.
Great art, great hair physics, bad gameplay.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.