[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats the best version of Cave Story? the original or plus?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: CaveStory591_1329088043.jpg (58 KB, 468x351) Image search: [Google]
CaveStory591_1329088043.jpg
58 KB, 468x351
whats the best version of Cave Story? the original or plus?
>>
Plus is literally the original with more content.
>>
>>323146162
plus. stupid question.
>>
>>323146162
Original has a better translation, but you can run Plus with that.

So Plus is the best version.
>>
>>323146162
What does plus add?
>>
3DS
>>
>>323146389
New dungeon/area
>>
>>323146162
Plus I guess, but you'll want to play on original graphics and sound anyway unless you're a pleb. Don't pay for it.
>>
Plus on original graphics and music.
>>
>>323146389
Boss Rush mode
Nemesis Challenge
Wind Fortress Challenge
Curly Story
Double or original resolution spritework (640x480 or 320x240)
Halloween and Christmas spritesets
Easy / Hard modes
Choice of three soundtracks, Original, WiiWare or 3D remake
Achievements
>>
>>323146429
Can you play as Curly in the 3ds version?
>>
>>323146389
Iirc
>wind fortress (new level with a new boss)
>new artstyle (though you can play the original
>new music (though again you can play the original
>boss rush
>challenges
>difficulty settings? I don't remember if they were in the original

I think thats it.
>>
>>323146618
Yes, the only thing 3DS version is missing is double resolution spritework, and the other soundtracks.

I dunno if they have the Halloween/Christmas spritesets though.

I'm pretty sure that the tileset for Nemesis Challenge is corrupt though.
>>
>>323146618
The eshop versions is just cave story plus without the new music and resolution

Also the 3d physical version doesn't have the features from cave story plus. But I'd recommend it if you enjoy cave story plus. The backgrounds give the place a bigger sense of scale (I love how the graveyard looks in the 3d version
>>
>>323146735
Oh right, also forgot that 3DS version supports widescreen aspect ratio, whereas Plus doesn't.
And of course 3D effect.
>>
>>323146429
the hate that version gets is retarded
>>
>>323146836
I actually think the 3D remake of Cave Story is pretty fucking awful.

They make bad use of the 3D by putting lots of foreground obstructions in.
The 3D environments in general lose their sense of style and just look like grotty caves.

The collision detection feels awful though, I had to enable sprite mode instead of 3D models because it was hard to tell what was going on.
They definitely were forced to compensate for this because there are mandatory health upgrades as you progress the story, they are automatic and make the new maximum health 100 rather than 55.

There are loads of technical issues too, loading times that cut out the music and completely wreck the flow of the ending sequence, NPC character animations get messed up like King attacking Balrog without a sword, it's generally just sloppy.

It also manages to fuck up the story a little bit. They add a few 2.5D areas where you can move around and the camera curves around with the plane.
One of these is after you defeat the Undead Core. The story is that defeating the Undead Core is supposed to undo the rabid effect of red flowers on Mimiga, but they put Rabid Mimiga enemies in this post-boss area anyway.
>>
>>323147084
Claming it's the best is more retarded though.
>>
>>323147254
3DS eShop version is good, actually it's great, has most of the bonus content of Plus and plays like the original version with added widescreen and 3D effect.
3DS retail remake is horseshit.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.