[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think that, in time, video games that are masterpieces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: bioshock infinite.jpg (140 KB, 406x576) Image search: [Google]
bioshock infinite.jpg
140 KB, 406x576
Do you think that, in time, video games that are masterpieces from a narrative standpoint will receive the same appreciation as literature?
>>
>>323068145
I think you have a flabby tummy and a broken dick, FAGGOT
>>
What game are you referring to?
>>
I want to jizz all over Elizabeth's feet.
>>
>>323068145

I think so, and those which are complete piles of shit like Bioshock Infinite will receive their rightful recognition too.
>>
>>323068557
Elizabeth isn't real neeeeerd
>>
>>323068145
No because real art is accessible to everyone; video games aren't. I don't need an expensive console or PC to read a novel or to look at a painting.
>>
>>323068648
but what if you're blind, dumbshit. I can play patty cake blind. Fucking checkmate
>>
>>323068648
Yeah you need acces to education
>>
>>323068145
Can't believe how badly this game shit all over the great andrew ryan thing they had going on even throughout the 2nd bioshock after he was fucking dead
>>
>>323068752
Most people are born with eyes, nobody is born with an NVIDIA GTXAYYLMAO 360 that will be outdated in a year.
>>
Wait a minute that card...
>>
>>323068145
Grandfather paradox completely invalidates Biocuck.

Besides that it's bad and reptetive , even worse then 1&2 gameplay wise.Elizabeth is a pointless plot device.

Its a 3.6/10 at most , i don't know how it managed to get such high ratings besides the press being paided of. It looks like shit plays like shit and the story falls apart if you actualy pay attention.
>>
>>323068909
>being poor
>>
>>323068909
spotted the consolebabby
>>
With time, but so long as gameplay mechanics (jRPG battles, regenerating enemies, puzzles) as opposed to interaction (kill him or don't) are a part of a game, I expect it will be considered a flawed narrative medium. Even the Telltale games have their puzzles which interrupt the flow of the story.
>>
I sincerely fear for people who think Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece in any way.
>>
>>323069072
took me hours to solve
>>
>>323068648
Because everyone has access to a museum, film studio, and library. Fuck off.
>>
>>323068648
Ever since the advent of movies, equipment has been a part of this, anon. You own a DVD player?
>>
>>323069189
>grandfather paradox
>something completely theoretical that only applies to a non-existent scenario
>invalidates a piece of fiction

Eat shit pleb.
>>
>>323069480
>Implying movies are art
>>
>>323068145
>bought biocuck inf becuase friends raved about it
>Got it for $10 used
>played halfway got bored and thougt it was gay
>even paying with lose pocket change i still felt ripped off
>>
>>323069545
Are you for real?
>>
CITIZEN
>>
>>323069510
How can you go back and time and kill yourself
>>
>>323069730
he thinks movies are art
>mfw he says that he thinks that movies are indeed art

hahaha wow dude art huh
>>
>>323068145
Bait thread?
>I think the Witcher 3 is a literary masterpiece and should be appreciated as such
>>
>>323069510
>something completely theoretical that only applies to a non-existent scenario
>invalidates a piece of fiction

Yes
>>
>>323068145
the whole second half was shit
>>
>>323069853
Let's also not forget that the narrative insists that going back in time changes the future, so they don't even have the parallels excuse.
>>
>>323068648

>mentioning books

This is how I know your line of logic is flawed.

Not only do you need to know how to read you also need to be fluent in said language the novel was written in.

Otherwise you're stuck with ancient egyptian tier bullshit where you have to pray someone is willing to spend their life decrypting the rosetta stone of antiquity languages.
>>
>>323068145
no. although some people have an appreciation for retrogames many are ignorant.

all these kids who never played doom and think they know everything about FPS games.

the next generation of gamers will ignore the current great games the same way the current generation ignores the previously great games.
>>
>>323070207
tru that
>>
>>323069853
Two scenarios:

1) Every choice we ever make that will make the difference in the outcome of something else creates a multitude of universes which differ in how that one choice played out and what the results were. Traveling into one of these, you could kill yourself because the "you" that you are is not the "you" you'd be killing. Each universe continues along its way, some with you, some without you.

2) The above scenario isn't true and you, traveling back in time to kill your past self, inadvertently kill yourself. Naturally you can only do this once and, henceforth, the future in which you had lived would never come to pass.
>>
File: Liz26.png (148 KB, 350x345) Image search: [Google]
Liz26.png
148 KB, 350x345
Posting the only good thing that happend because of Bioshock Infinite
>>
>>323068145

>narrative masterpieces
>posts Bioshock Infinite

Is this just bait or do you genuinely associate good narrative with Bioshock Infinite?
>>
>>323070027
>fiction is allowed to be retarded

By far the worst meme of the 20th/21st century
>>
>>323068909
most people aren't born with TVs or library membership.
>>
>>323068145
pic unrelated, of course
>>
File: 1431076514380.jpg (30 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1431076514380.jpg
30 KB, 500x341
>>323070652
>le is just a game/movie/story
>>
File: 20131101_174307-1.jpg (780 KB, 1367x1152) Image search: [Google]
20131101_174307-1.jpg
780 KB, 1367x1152
>>323068648
how many museums and fine art galleries allow any and everybody free admission?
>>
File: expand dong.jpg (72 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
expand dong.jpg
72 KB, 500x667
>>323070541
Oh man, I forgot about this. Need to watch it again.
>>
games that follow the traditional narrative route (literally playing a movie) will fall several miles flat of any decent film, let-alone piece of literature. Games need to properly meld player interaction with thematic narrative elements as this is something other medium's simply cannot do
>>
>>323070964
None that actualy have shit thats worth seing
>>
File: Chronocrossbox.jpg (116 KB, 256x244) Image search: [Google]
Chronocrossbox.jpg
116 KB, 256x244
This game has you play as a teenage boy that was meant to die, but was saved by contact with an artifact, literally the fingernail of a divine being from beyond the stars. Now pulled between a world where he died and one where he lived, the boy is given the opportunity to undo the damage that a well-intentioned man has done to the very threads of reality.

Done properly, this would make for a good novel. I'd argue the same can be said for many games, including "Rule of Rose," "Haunting Ground," and more.
>>
File: mike brown.jpg (476 KB, 1875x1000) Image search: [Google]
mike brown.jpg
476 KB, 1875x1000
>implying games will ever catch up to the narrative brilliance of literature
>>
File: 1450713802537.jpg (20 KB, 479x501) Image search: [Google]
1450713802537.jpg
20 KB, 479x501
>>323070964
>That picture
Fuccccckkkk

Why would someone do that
>>
File: Homeworld_(video_game)_box_art.jpg (19 KB, 256x308) Image search: [Google]
Homeworld_(video_game)_box_art.jpg
19 KB, 256x308
>>323071000
That is, like almost all other opinions expressed in this thread, utter bullshit. Homeworld, for an instance, has a completely linear, classical storytelling where the player has actually virtually no control over where the story will go. Yet it easily surpasses majority of modern space opera fiction in existence in other media.

Silent Hill 2 has, for all intents and purposes (ignoring the multiple ending gimmick, which really does not add much to the actual story), has completely linear narrative as well, yet it puts absolute majority of modern cinematic horror production to shame.

There is no reason why a well realized story would automatically be less valuable in a game, just because games offer other options than linear storytelling as an option - and keeping those two examples in mind, it's there is also no reason to assume that game would not be able to tell a linear story well.

Games can tell stories differently, yes. And that makes them unique, yes. But that does not mean non-linear narrative, and bridging the mechanical and narrative elements are the ONLY things game can do well.

Just like cinema can be a primarily an experience for the ear, even though it's main unique quality is showing images in motion, or how music can be a fantasty storytelling device, even though it's main unique selling feature is it's ability to synchronize with certain deeper predictive and pattern-recognizing mechanisms in our brain thus directly induce sense of gratification and pleasure.

It's stupid to assume that games can be good storytelling device in one way and one way only. I have no fucking idea why you cretins cling to that idea so hard.
>>
>>323073053
There are people out there who actually believe these things.
>>
>>323075532
You mean there are people who actually aren't complete drooling mongoloids? Yeah, there are. Most of them seem to steer clear of this place though.
>>
>>323073053
I'm not doubting that it's possible for a linear game to have a narrative that is on par with those offered by good literature and film, just that I've never experienced it and for me it's essentially impossible given some inherent limitations.

This might seem like a protracted and unnecessary breakdown, but think of it this way; an author merely has to deal with the translation of setting, characters, narrative, etc. from his mind onto the page; creator's of a film have to do essentially the same but also worry about every other component that a piece of cinema is comprised of. In the case of game devs (for even a linear game with highly simplistic gameplay mechanics) there is even more work outside of simply the game's narrative and writing and so forth that it shouldn't really be all that surprising that these things suffer greatly (in my opinion) as a result.
>>
Video Games are not art.
Neither are films.

Painting/sculpting/etc., Music, Opera, Theatre, and of course literature are all art.
>>
>>323076504
I'll bite: for what reasons do you not consider film to be an artform? You consider plays- opera- to be an artform, and I'm afraid that I do not see much difference at all.
>>
>>323076808
I simply ask you to consider what the greatest accomplishments of film are, and compare them to the greatest accomplishments of opera.

Also, opera is a much more serious blend of music and drama whereas film's use of music is often rather lackluster.
>>
>>323075854
>just that I've never experienced it and for me it's essentially impossible given some inherent limitations.
I'm honestly bit confused about the statement. So do you not doubt it's possible, or it's essentially impossible? And I don't think you have a very clear idea about the amount of work it takes to translate an idea into a literal story, or a movie, and how much concessions and great limitations it involves, if you think it's somehow fundamentally different from a game.

>>323076504
For a second I though you might be one of the few people knowing what they are talking about, but wow... no. You are not.
What the fuck is the train of thought there, actually? That is even more absurd and incoherent than the usual local tripe.
>>
>>323077042
Do you think video games are art?
>>
VIdeogames will never be seen as anything but children's toys.
>>
>>323077121
No. Just like I don't think cinema, books, music or theatre are art.
Games, cinema, literature, music: those are media. Media are defined by purely formal parameters, while art is a subject of normative evaluation - media tells you what properties does a work have to have in order to fall under the category of said media, but nothing about their quality. Art is entirely and exclusively about quality.

So no MEDIUM is art. Individual works of ANY medium can be considered art. In other words, games are not art, but individual game, or even an individual, concrete contribution of one to a specific game or games could be considered art.
You can't say games are art any more than you can say "movies are for education", or "music is good". Because no, not all of them are. But you can take any movie, any composition, or any game and say about that specific piece: it's good, or bad, or educative, or art.

Games are no different from any other creative outlets and media out there. As long as we admit the chance that some game might be actually good (by what ever merits of "good" aside from subjectivism we chose), we open up the possibility that some game could be reasonably considered a work of art.

Art, after all, does not mean anything less and anything more than "something we consider valuable".

Now the questions: are there games we consider really profoundly valuable? Are there any games we should consider valuable? And what the hell are our criteria for value? are still left to be discussed, preferably on some kind of more academic level.

TLDR: games as a medium are not "art" (that is, games are not art inherently), but individual game could be theoretically considered art if we could produce a reasonble body of authority and criteria of value.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.