[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to play modern games on a CRT?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmtmWk3puGg
>>
>>323055887
To have your cat lying on top of your monitor.
>>
>>323055887
makes no difference with the xbone
>>
So much time yet so little is said.
>>
CRT meme is shit.
It's never the way the game is meant to be played.
With better monitors and screens you can see how the game actually looks and not how people thought it might have looked.
>>
>>323055887
there isn't really, since most good PC monitors have almost no latency.

I'd rather play on a CRT than a modern TV though. The latency is pure disgust.
>>
I'm using a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u as my main monitor for a second pc build and it's pretty great. runs at 1800x1350@85Hz (The native res it reports). So I'm getting a little over 1080 res and a nice refresh rate with great blacks. The monitor was only $5 on craigslist so I think I did better than buying a $150 shitty 1080p TN panel.
>>
Generally lower response times compared to other screen types of the same size
No ghosting

Other than that, no.
But unless you don't mind playing skyrim in 480p, good fucking luck trying to find an HD crt that isn't already worth a fortune because 1: they barely made any and they sold like shit and 2: they're hunted down by collectors and enthusiasts.
>>
>>323055887
no
>>
>>323058423
Just getting a 31KHz CRT monitor off craigslist and a cheap Extron scan rate converter does a great job. Doesn't have to be a really expensive widescreen trinitron, though they are nice.
>>
Of course there is. It's the only decent way to play quite a few light gun games.
>>
>>323057524
It's amazing to see how the games were actually designed to look rather than how retards think they look, though.

You're acting like developers had LCDs in the 90s or something equally stupid.
>>
>>323055887
No. The latency associated with TVs is maybe 10% of the average human's visual reaction time. Faggots just like to feel special.
>>
>>323059024
Surely you'd agree that someone with a 150ms reaction time will be better than someone with a 165ms reaction time, though?
>>
>>323059138
Technically yes, but you won't notice a difference. Any gain you see from CRT can be reduced to placebo. Your buttons take longer to react to being pressed
>>
>>323059138
Different person here, but I think people's difference in skill levels generally would have greater effect on the outcome of performance than having a 15ms advantage.
>>
>>323058945
Developers had high resolution CRTs though.
They didn't code on TVs. Pixels looked like pixels to them, not smudges.
>>
>>323063267
You've never actually used a "high resolution" CRT. Or even a standard definition one.

The difference between a game played at 1024x768 natively on a CRT, and the same game on any possible set-up you could find for an LCD, is like night and day. It's a completely different experience, and half the reason I keep one plugged in for revisiting anything pre-2000.

What you call smudging, I call color blending, and it's how the images looked on the actual developer sets.
>>
>>323064754
>You've never actually used a "high resolution" CRT.
Gee, I wonder what this huge ass luminescent box to my right is. You're an idiot, it looks pretty much the fucking same as the LCD, only has brighter colours.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.