[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old 3DS XL vs. New 3DS XL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /v/, should I buy a New 3DS XL or an Old XL?
Here's my situation: I bricked my o3DSXL because I am a retard (used wrong update files). But I'm in a shit country, so shit is expensive as heck.

My current options are:
• Buying a used o3DS XL from my cousin (barely used at all, almost brand new). Will cost me $100.
• Buying a new New 3DS XL. Costs $250 (or 2/3rds of my part-time job's salary - pretty damn expensive).

Are the new features worth it, really? I'm wondering about the following:
• Is the new analog stick actually worth it? I'm planning on playing Monster Hunter with my friends, since I've never had a chance before and they love it. I also play Smash a lot, and I heard that in SSB the right stick works like it does on the WiiU?
• Do the extra triggers feel decent? Also wondering for Monster Hunter. They look really freaking tiny.
• Is the difference in loading times in Smash really noticeable? I suppose it's really the only situation where it makes any difference when it comes to the processing speed.
• I also plan on emulating games. The n3DS does that much much better than the o3DS, but maybe it's not enough of a difference for me to justify spending much more money.
>>
Buy n3ds, pirate all games and dlc for free, ???, profit.
>>
>I heard that in SSB the right stick works like it does on the WiiU?
Yes, it executes Smash attacks
>Do the extra triggers feel decent?
Sure, they're not uncomfortable. Though I have to say I forget about them a lot.
>Is the difference in loading times in Smash really noticeable?
Yes, start-up time is halved
>>
>>323030773
That's the plan, but I'm asking if it's worth the very large price difference, compared to a used o3DS
>>
>>323030773
For reference, $100 is 26% of my paycheck. $250 is 66%. It's not chump change
>>
Get a n3ds. If you're playing MH the nubstick and faster loading times are well worth it.

Also your cousin probably dropped it in the toilet at one point or another.
>>
>>323031113
It's actually been on a drawer for 2 years according to my uncle, he says my cousin didn't even remember where it was. Life's unfair as fuck.
>>
Id say its worth it, id rather not have to deal with a CPP since it uses its own battery. The better performance/textures in mon hun are also a plus
Only downside is that on the N3DS XL you gotta unscrew the back to get access to the SD card, which you'll be doin a lot if you plant to pirate
>>
>>323031302
Is it a normal screw or those shitty proprietary ones?
>>
>>323031302
You only have to open it if you want to put a bigger one there. You can access it through your network.
>>
File: 1429825199669.png (157 KB, 310x350) Image search: [Google]
1429825199669.png
157 KB, 310x350
>>323030624
My only question is this.

Does the New 3DS not do the flipy-flop like the XL 3DS?

It always just felt like there was a loose screw in the XL 3DS. I can't get past it without thinking "I'm going to fucking break this at some point."

This has honestly been the only reason I've been hesitant in getting a New 3DS.
>>
>>323031398
Ye they're normal philips screws

>>323031705
Have you actually tried that shit? It's slow as fuck
>>
>>323030908
I'd say it depends how much you play, value and appreciate the system and it's games. I own both, but time is money. If I were you, I would rather take a 26% cut of my monthly paycheck for a fun but predominately solitary gaming device... rather than 66%.

How much did you play it? All those free games sounds alluring (it did for me). But once you have access, you may find your drive to play almost completely deflated due to lack of ownership. The Endowment effect is very real.
>>
>>323032075
The extra play in the hinge? The New 3DS has it too.
I can't remember why, but I read it was designed intentionally.
Something about tolerances, grinding pieces, or wear.
>>
>>323032151
I didn't play it much outside of my regular SSB sessions because honestly, I can't justify spending $90 (you read that right) for a game.
There were a BUNCH of games I wanted to play coming out but they were all ridiculously expensive.
There's at least 6 games (7 if I go with the n3DS) that I *really* want to play, Smash not included. Regarding lack of ownership, I feel like it's gonna be the same situation I had on my DSLite: my SD card is too small to hold several games at once, so I can't just download everything and not feel like playing anything.

For reference, in 2013 I had 450h playtime. I was gifted a bunch of games, so I had a lot to play. 2014 I had 200h playtime. Only two new games. 2015 saw 96h playtime. Only new game was Smash. It's a worrying trend, which helps make me indecisive.

>>323032075
>>323032403
It's intentional. Apparently rigid hinges get more stress than the floppy hinges, for some reason, which is weird, but then again I ain't an engineer.
>>
>>323032112
I only had to do it once to throw the Gateway files there. I just keep all of my games on my Gateway anyway, so it's easier to move it around.
>>
>>323032151
Thinking back, I think the only game I've actually played this last year was Smash. I either beat everything or got bored of Animal Crossing.
>>
Get a better work.
>>
As of right now unless you where planning on getting Xenoblade, it all depends on the amoint of hours you'll put into Smash and MonHun.

The difference is night and day if you're going to play lots of MH. N3DSXL is the definitive way to play, you're only limiting your experience otherwise. As for Smash it's mostly for aesthetics. The Cstick is the only technical advantage and works great, if there's no lag. Otherwise it will miss imput like mad. Also the Cstick looses some accuracy if your hands are sweaty, so bad luck of you're a filthy neet.

I'd honestly recommend the oXL since you sound poor. The larger touch screen still helps with MonHun controls
>>
>>323032932
>Uni student
>3rd world country
>16h/week job
I'm doing okay. Thanks for posting.
>>
>>323033113
I'm not exactly in dire need of money, I can buy either right now in cash and still have leftover money. Spent almost no money at all last month and I'm getting paid tomorrow.

I'm now really worried about their objective pricetags, I just want to know if the n3DS is worth the price difference. Are the bonuses good enough?

>The difference is night and day if you're going to play lots of MH
Smash and MH are going to be the system sellers here, yeah.
>>
>>323033137
>3rd world country
>Wanting to buy a console

Get your priorities straight.
>>
>>323030624
New. It's better in almost every way.
>>
>>323033349

If you have disposal income then go for it. The nXL shines especially well in Monster Hunter, and was the sole reason I got the system.

Just be aware, I think the system is rather ugly. Unless you really also getting faceplates it can really feel like a baby's toy. Shame since the DSi looked like folded sex
>>
The stick is necessary for MH. I recently got an old 3DS (non XL) and playing MH was nearly impossible before finding a Circle Pad Pro. Take this from someone who used to clawhand on the PSP MH games.
>>
If you get the n3DS, look up discussions on the TN and IPS screens.
If you pay 66% of your paycheck, you should know the difference, buy it, open it, inspect it and return it if it's a TN screen.
>>
>>323036273
Can you tell if it's a IPS or TN without opening the box?
>>
you could buy the smaller n3ds, the screens look less muddy/ugly. also you can use faceplates. tn screens aren't bad. don't worry about it. just be more careful about updating.
>>
>>323037873
Regular n3DS is out-of-the-question expensive. I thought the XL would be more expensive, but for some reason it's much much cheaper.
>>
>>323038148
Seriously? in my country it's much cheaper than the XL. then again I live in europe.
>>
>>323038684
Third world is messed up, family member. 2DS is $180.
>>
>>323037873
I have a normal new 3ds and the screen is bigger then a regular o3ds but the screen quality is much higher and the xl version its little more blurred out.
>>
>>323036273
fuck I probably got the shitty one from my bid
>>
>>323038863
You could even buy an original 3ds (or XL) to save some cash. If im blatantly honest new 3ds is not worth it, you get very little, you can easily play monster hunter with the L camera button (I never use the circle pad) The 3d tracking is often jittery, though works well enough. It's not worth the extra expense. Take it from me. I only love my n3ds because of its creamy colour and faceplates.
>>
>>323037482
negatory

>>323037873
>tn screens aren't bad. don't worry about it.
This guy has never seen Shagaru Magala on a TN screen. He has no idea. It's like a black ghosting inkblot.
To accept a n3DS with a TN screen is to accept a flawed product.

For 66% of your paycheck, I would hope you were getting the best Nintendo put on the shelf.
>>
>>323038940
The XL is incredibly ugly with certain games, such as on MH4 (it looks like early PS2 on XL as opposed to xbox or early PS3 on the smaller n3ds version), and yes, the screens are slightly bigger. Makes all the difference. I don't know why everybody loves the XL. I know a bigger screen is great and all, but the quality takes a nosedive with certain games. I never use my zelda XL now that I have a N3ds.
>>
>>323039779
I don't have the best eyesight so the huge screens help, and my hands used to hurt all the time with a small 3DS, XL is much more comfortable.
>>
>>323039779
How can new version graphics look worse?
>>
>>323040135
Ah, okay. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

>>323039494
Did Magala look that bad on TN? I remember him looking pretty slick. Ill have to check now that you mentioned it.
>>
>>323040479
Thanks, man. I guess I'll wait a week or two to see if my mind helps me in making a reasonable decision.
>>
>>323040418
The problem is the resolution of the screen. It's literally stretched. With some games it makes little difference, with others the smaller 3DS is like HD in comparison. Nintendo should have upped the resolution. Instead they just stretched it. Granted I only noticed how bad it looked when I viewed said games on a smaller N3DS. Had I never played the smaller 3DS, I might not have noticed. It's like making an image in MS paint bigger. Lazy bastards.

>>323040692
Give it a little while. I still recommend original XL if you can find it much cheaper. Have you considered importing online?
>>
File: frogpost.png (80 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
frogpost.png
80 KB, 500x421
>>323041210
I have, I looked it up but import taxes would make it more expensive than just buying it here.

I'm gonna hold on buying either right away because I think o3DSXL has a better price/benefit ratio, maybe I'm just excited about the (not at all necessary) n3DS features. It's probably gonna go away in a while.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.