[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is ark dead? What server do you play on?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: header.jpg (53 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
53 KB, 460x215
is ark dead?
What server do you play on?
>>
>>323010939
Isn't this in the top 10 on steam
How could it be dead
>>
File: 1452090095470.png (155 KB, 328x328) Image search: [Google]
1452090095470.png
155 KB, 328x328
>friend gifts me this game saying its amazing
>its the most laggy and clunky shit I've played in years
>the gameplay itself is basically just one giant grind as well

why are so many people praising this game?
>>
>>323010939
>is ark dead?

No. It's got an XBox One premiere, I doubt it's dead.
>>
>>323011291
there is a massive drop of player numbers after dota/csgo.
>>
>>323011291
If it doesn't have League of Legends numbers of people pretending to play it, most people think it's dead.

Which is why a lot of good games actually wind up dead, because everyone thinks they're dead from the beginning
>>
its a fun game but it runs like dogshit on amd cards.

Its more of a Progression based Survival game more so than all the other survival games.

If you have good specs and a tribe this game is really fun. Plus they have mad updates.

>Official server 28 representing!
>>
>wait by shore for new spawns
>tranq em
>throw them in a wooden cage

I fucking love any games where I can fuck with new players like this. Its like a sadist simulator
>>
File: Dinosaurs_0.jpg (455 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs_0.jpg
455 KB, 1600x1200
>>323011447

Dinosaurs are just that cool
>>
>>323011501
My friend made me get it for Xbone. All official pvp servers are literally full all day except from like 6-9am
>>
>>323011447
get a good PC

that said, my PC is decent but I turned everything down to medium for optimal settings. the gameplay itself is 10/10 though.
>>
>>323011447
Because it's another addition to the fad that is survival crafting games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz3OSSpopzY
>>
I want to run around with my m8 and go ooga booga on other people all day long, is this possible
>>
>>323013379
Yes.

You can even do it naked, or fully armed, or while riding a majestic dinosaur.

Most people I've met have been friendly though.
>>
File: Xboneservers.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Xboneservers.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>323012918

this
>>
>>323010939
Got it a couple days ago. Convinced my friend to buy it when I showed him a picture of me riding a shark.

It's pretty fun. People flip out about balance changes though which is stupid. Oh no. Devs are balancing their game thats still in beta specifically to find balance and release content. Call the fucking cops.
>>
>>323013057
I'm running a 980, i7 4770K and the game still runs like balls unless I turn the settings down

that doesn't stop the gameplay from being clunky shit

>10/10
>>
>>323014219
It runs like ass and no one can argue that.

The gameplay though is pretty fucking exquisite. What don't you like about it?
>>
>>323014363
its clunky laggy shit with grind everywhere?

I didn't know combat worse than morrowind was considered to be 10/10 tier now
>>
>>323014363
Massive amounts of grinding/gates of all kind
I mean it's balanced around tribe gameplay which makes sense, I just went in there thinking I could do cool shit running around with maybe one friend, but our options seem to be rather limited
>>
>>323014473
"Clunky" isn't very descriptive nor is it very accurate. Grind also doesn't say anything about the gameplay. It just says you don't like the gameplay as you find playing the game a grind.

Can you voice an opinion without your shitposting gloves on? I'm genuinely interested in conversing with you if you're genuine.
>>
Is there still fucking snow all over the map? I thought it was awesome that the devs did it at first because I love shit like that usually but after I realized I could only spawn in like two areas and not die of cold I stopped playing.
>>
>>323014614
If you want to do something with just one friend, you could join an unofficial server with 5x rates. Otherwise it's totally about the tribe. I just joined a 7 man tribe yesterday and the game completely opened up for me.
>>
>>323014219
Eh, my PC isn't as god-tier as yours, and I'm getting pretty smooth frames and barely noticing anything clunky after turning down some settings.

It is in early access remember.

And the 10/10 was for gameplay not graphics. Yeah a lot of it has been done before, but the fucking Dinos are so well integrated it's crazy. It is a lot of fun to play with friends.
>>
>>323014771
Yeah, I'm not really complaining, just kind of disappointed that the game is not for me if I'm not willing to dump tons of hours into it
But high rate server sounds like an alternative, thanks for the hint
>>
>>323014675
Snow event is done. Although I started in the snow event and survived just fine. You might just be a casual.
>>
>>323014859
servers with higher rates are super popular. Goodluck anon
>>
>>323010939
Official 25, my mates and I rolled there two weeks ago and are the 2nd largest tribe on the server now. Granted the alpha tribe is miles ahead of everyone, so it doesn't account for much.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-07-03-08-32.png (680 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-07-03-08-32.png
680 KB, 2560x1440
https://youtu.be/rqiE30L8uOA?t=470
OH I HATE YOU EARTHWORM JERRY I'M TAKING YOUR FRIENDS AND I'M TAKING YOUR FAMILY
>>
>>323014654
>"Clunky" isn't very descriptive nor is it very accurate.

you serious?

Thanks to the crapppy animations on the enemies and the lag its a lot more tedious to kill enemies than it should be, you'll be spending 2 minutes circling a jittery dino hitting it then the lag spikes decide to kick in making it even more annoying

And mixing in stuff you can only get while exploring which is a good thing and a ton of basic shit which you can only get after hours of leveling up isn't good and its just a cheap way of getting you to play for hours on end when the game doesn't have a whole lot of actual content
>>
>>323015330
Oh yeah this bothers me too, the basic crafting stuff really shouldn't be behind a level-gate, that's just shit design
>>
>>323015330
Latency hasn't been an issue for me on a server I have 40 ms to. Though I've never seen it full pop only in the 50s so maybe that's a breaking point. I would definitely give it the benefit of "it's a beta" for latency issues though.

The second part is where you lose me. You don't like the crafting? Or you don't like having to gather materials? or are you a solo player?
>>
>>323015684
What mmo have you played where you didn't have to level up? Think of all the ways tribe interactions would be ruined if all engrams were available to learn at level 1.
>>
>>323015693
I don't mind crafting, I just don't like it when most of it is related to leveling up mixed in with the usual exploration for resources
>>
>>323015828
Not all of them, just the basic stuff. Tools, spears, slingshot, maybe bow, sleeping matress, and the powder making thing
>>
>>323013057
NO ONE can max this game 1080 fps yet. Don't give me that bs must be your computer shit. Even the devs know it's still unoptimized.
>>
>>323016057
So you'd rather have people spawn fully equipped to survive? Or you dislike that people can potentially fuck up by not learning those things?

>>323016035
I'm still a little confused. After you get the initial few "necessary" pieces above you can tame a dinosaur and level up purely through Dino hunting and crafting the things you need to Dino hunt.
>>
>>323016258
>fully equipped
Its not fully equipped if they need to find and gather resources to craft said objects.
>>
>>323016258
Yes, I'd rather not have to gather plants and cut down trees for two hours before I get enough level ups to be able to make basic stuff. I get locking tribe-related advanced stuff behind levels so you actually have to specialize, but everyone's going to get the basic shit right away, so you might as well unlock them by default
>>
File: awow.jpg (48 KB, 680x616) Image search: [Google]
awow.jpg
48 KB, 680x616
what's the gameplay like?

i heard its like a super advanced version of minecraft, is that true?
>>
>>323010939
Get robbed by Level 9999999 players while you're offline

No thanks
>>
>>323016389
I see what you're saying now and I mostly agree. Sleeping bag would be dumb to have unlocked immediately though as it takes a lot of hide to make and would only help dumb people make bad choices (trying to survive somewhere too inhospitable because they can respawn there instead of trying somewhere else). Maybe make a post on their forums.

>>323016407
So the games design doesn't suit you. That doesn't make it bad. I had tons of fun my first day. My friend who will be joining this weekend won't know my struggle because I have stuff waiting for him. That's pretty cool imo. I had to go through things the hard way. In doing so I spent a lot of time with the game and learned how to play. I can pass this knowledge onto my friend (or offspring) and he can work a little bit less hard.

Like a real tribe.
>>
>>323012187
Way to kill off the playerbase. Have fun actively stagnating the servers.
>>
>>323016852
can't they just join a non pvp server
>>
>>323016653
It's nothing like minecraft. At all. For the record I'm the person in here with good things to say about the game. The gameplay consists of: farming materials. Killing donosaurs. Building bases. Crafting shit. Taming dinosaurs. And then if you're on a pvp server, pvp.

If you're unwilling to get into a tribe, play on an unofficial server with boosted rates.
>>
>>323016840
But it's not difficult or an actual struggle, it's just tedium. Surviving isn't hard because you get endless food through berries and dodo meat.
And yes of course it's not objectively bad, few things are when talking about things like video games. In my subjective, biased, flawed opinion, the game doesn't gain anything from locking the basic tools behind a level-gate.
>>
>>323017138
The level gate you're speaking of for "basic tools" is an hour or two of gameplay. Keep in mind that gameplay is fun.

Also clearly we had a different experience because my first day involved a lot of snow and a lot of t rexes. If it was difficult to keep your food or water meter full, it would be a really fucking boring game. The struggle is supposed to be the dinosaurs and the jackasses like
>>323012187
>>
>>323017492
That sounds like fun, but I started on the southern end of the map, which felt like it weas designed to be the beginner area. My scariest encounter was a giant fucking crocodile that'd hunt me for ages, and that was actually pretty fun
>>
>>323017607
I've never been to this area of the map and I also spawned in the south. I made a little hut by a lake and played to level 10 solo. I asked in general for a tribe and some dude rode his boat for half an hour to come pick me up. We met under some giant floating obelisk.

So we get on his houseboat and start the half hour journey back to his tribes land and on the way back we hunt those crab fuckers for chitin while defending our houseboat from sharks.

This game is a trip.
>>
>>323014179
Yeah it's funny listening to some of them talk like they are going to kill themselves for nerfing companion stats.
>>
Hnngh female muscle characters.
>>
>>323020418
I'm looking forward to when they update the character creator. Totally going to switch to female when you can make good looking females instead of she hulks.
>>
File: 2015-07-02_00002.jpg (381 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-02_00002.jpg
381 KB, 1920x1080
The game is good fun for a long time actually, but it suffers from there not really being anything to do except tame a bunch of dinos then run over random tribes until youre bored. Its a lot easier to be on offense than defense and that would be great except that it takes weeks to build up a strong metal base which can be simply taken down in a few hours.

I played the game for 450~ hours and I enjoyed it, but I dont know how youd go about fixing the fact that unless you pvp or enjoy doing that, the game is pretty boring unless you really like building elaborate shit and the only reason that takes so long is due to gathering materials and dealing with the weight/inventory space.
>>
>>323022174
>play a beta for 450 hours
>finally get bored.

$20 well spent my friend. I believe the devs are aware about the disappointing super endgame though. Time will tell.
>>
>>323022497

Well in the beginning its different, youre trying to learn the map, are afraid of wandering into the forest because youll get fucked up by a random raptor and all that shit, but back when I was playing it was more of a retarded grind. There wasnt an easy way to get chitin/keratin like there is now and the fastest way to get stone was to literally go to the beach and pick it up by hand, both of these made getting paste a massive boring grind, but it was fine because youre working towards the end game, but then after like a month of playing the game like a job, all your hard work gets leveled because you were asleep. Shit is lame. Ark is a shitty version of a tower defense game.
>>
>>323022953
I just can't agree with the notion that you paid $20 for 450 hours and enjoyed it only to turn around and bash it post moderm. Also it sounds like you didn't like the grind but are also mad they're taking measures to reduce the grind. I don't follow m8.

Also pve servers are where you go if you don't like getting raided. There's hundreds of them.
>>
>>323023483
Moterm* I'm a retard.
>>
>>323023483

So go play on a pve server, tame dinos, build up a massive base then..? Not to mention getting a huge base going with decent dinos takes maybe 2 weeks max.

I wasnt complaining that they took steps to reduce the grind, I was merely saying that even though I spent 450 hours on it, most of it was spent doing nothing but painstakingly gathering materials and literally sitting and alt tabbing while taming a high level dino pre-kibble days. And thats why I have so many hours into the game because either you play it like a job for 8+ hours straight or you fall behind on the server and everything you did gets BTFO while you sleep. The game is fun at times but most of time its shit and ill keep saying its shit even with 450 hours I spent on what was essentially a boring grind.
>>
>playing with friends
>dont see anyone at all in the game
>constantly get offline raided though
>hours of dinos and metal farming wasted
>play on pve server
>fuckheads spamming thatch foundations blocking all building

game is just too grief
>>
>>323024078
It's a beta. If you weren't having fun you shouldn't play it. If you were having fun but things needed to change, you needed to voice your opinion to the devs.

Also if you're a carebear at heart play on carebear servers and think of what the endgame should look like and tell/ask the devs. Don't be a carebear at heart, roll on a pvp server, then cry about it. It's 2005 all over again.

But also
>I'll keep saying it's shit.
>>323022174
>I played the game for 450 hours and enjoyed it

Never change faggot.
>>
>>323010939
>indie
>survival
>crafting
>multiplayer
It's dead.
>>
Decent game, I got my moneys worth out of it. Way too fucking grindy for the early game stuff though. Late game I don't mind, that should be about the tribe, but all gear and structures in the wood and thatch tiers (below level 15 or whatever) just needs to be cheaper to make.

Fuck pvp servers, have no idea how people find it fun starting over constantly when they log on to find everything destroyed. I'll take pve with set pvp times any day.
>>
>>323016948
>want to have fun pvping with others
>some shitter tranqs you seconds after you spawn
>you are now a hostage
this is what kills games, veterans that have everything already bullying new faggots trying to join the fun.
>>
If you're not playing on Xbone, then you might have trouble finding full servers.
>>
Why is every single open world survival game perpetually stuck in early access? Even the fucking posterboy for the genre, DayZ, still hasn't actually been finished.

As far as I know Don't Starve is the only one that actually released.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I like to build stuff. The official server I play on has pretty nice people, and my tribe is in good standing so raids are rare.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>323026616

Same thing further along.
>>
>>323026412
It's really easy to make the beginings of an open world survival game in unity/unreal. Have some good art and character and enemy models and you can jump into early access without anything else needing done really. Than things slow down a lot when the rest of the game actually needs made.

Ark actually has like a 40 man team and has pushed out patches pretty good, I'll give them that.

>>323026616
Nice, I'm a builder myself. Really couldn't care less for a lot of the pvp aspects of the game.
>>
>>323026706
>>323026616

Oh and sorry it's a phone pic. Took em quickly to text to a friend.
>>
>>323011447
Unemplyed people like to feel as if they have accomplished a day of work to, dont hate on them.
>>
>>323017086
so it's literally dumbed down and clunky minecraft (with mods).

why do people like this game?
>>
>>323026749

I've gotten our tribe a lot of recognition for my buildings (such as that bridge). I like to see people using things I've made, and I hope to make more useful ones in the future.
>>
>>323026412
I wish H1Z1 would cut the survival part out and just do more BR shit.

>Arma 3 mod
>H1Z1
>that one launched and flopped game I can't remember
Only games with a Battle Royale type mode, and the two good ones were done by the same person
>>
Is it actually possible to make the game look like it does in the screenshots or are they all bullshots?
>>
>>323010939

Xbox One serv
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.