[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me your EXACT THOUGHTS while solving this puzzle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: orY6X2O.jpg (122 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
orY6X2O.jpg
122 KB, 1024x577
Give me your EXACT THOUGHTS while solving this puzzle
>>
bing
bing bing
bing bing
>>
>>323007313
ding
ding ding
ding ding
e
>>
>>323007313
>They're literally showing how puzzles in games are now so ridiculously easy that it becomes a time waster, rather than a puzzle
>It is probably a nod to something involving time travel, since somebody has already worked out the combo and given it to him
>>
I hit each of them that many times. Because I'm playing an American game and I read English left to right, it'll go left to right.

Did I solve it?
>>
I tried to hit all the bells randomly like in that one Youtube video, but ended up accidentally solving the puzzle.
>>
>>323007313
"ALREADY? Aw cmon guys, gimmie an hour before the handholding starts, jesus christ... Fucking glad I got this for 5$, let's hope it doesn't get as bad as /v/ makes it sound."

It got worse.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg
>>
File: 1397026595926.png (42 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1397026595926.png
42 KB, 500x354
>>323007313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

>Levine was also a writer for Thief Metal Age and Bioshock 1

Why does this happen.
>>
File: lau559208153.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lau559208153.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
>>323007594
>>
I was suckered into buying the Season Pass. I was told there would be amazing DLC covering loads of cool shit. I never bothered even playing Return to Rapture.

They could have done some amazing shit with time-travel and they fucked it all up. But, at the time, I discovered a band and the music reminded me of the game, so I still have good times with it.

I just like to pretend the game is satire.

Think bout it. At the end, you're told "You've done this before, you'll do it again, other yous are doing it the same time as we are". It was a nod, I fucking hope, to how when you play a game, you're playing it with other people, and cause it's a game, the ending is always the same, regardless of what you do. Everybody completes it the same way.

I liked the idea, but the more I read about the hacks who made the game, I think I was giving them too much credit.
>>
>>323007832
Wasn't a nod to jack shit and you know it. Levine openly stated he had no clue about how time-travel or multiverse theory worked, and tried making a story about it regardless.

End result is pretty much what you'd expect from anyone writing about a subject matter they have no fucking understanding of.
>>
>>323007313

>"Oh shit those symbols were on that card, I wonder if I can open my inventory yet and che- Oh he's solving it for me....I have a feeling this has just set a precedent."
>>
Nobody really thought this puzzle was engaging, did they? Like why make a big deal about it?
>>
>>323007594
>this video is 2.5 years old

christ

i remember when this was making rounds here
>>
>>323008024
Tone. This is the first 2-4 minutes where you actually get to control your character. They show you that card in a cutscene right before this event, you reach the bells, and then you're immediately yanked into the first 'puzzle' of the game with your character retardedly proclaiming "WAIT A MINUTE, THAT CARD." like he's figured out some kind of mystery.

It was a mix of over-the-top comical, complete stupidity, treating the player like a child all while being completely serious that just made it memorable.

That and it spells out like 50% of the game's problems in 5 seconds, in the first 5 minutes of the game. That's just rare to see something be -so- shit.
>>
File: 1383269616686.jpg (18 KB, 233x253) Image search: [Google]
1383269616686.jpg
18 KB, 233x253
Unrelated, but;

>5-7 weapons
>Almost all of them have a 'Vox' version that is slightly different
>Can only carry two
>All of them can be upgraded
>Finite amount of money
>Will therefore only upgrade 2-3 and carry them around the whole game
>Vox weapons don't even show up till over halfway complete

>Achievements to kill upwards of 30 people with each gun
>Some areas don't even have 30 enemies in an entire level

This rustled my jimmies something fierce, who did they really think would replay this shit the 3-4 times you'd need? Or did they just figure I'd toss my upgraded weapons away so I could use a shitty gun for an hour just to say 'I did it'.
>>
>>323007313
I was using the bells to play Beethoven's 5th Symphony.
>>
Even while it was on sale I regret purchasing this. I had to see it for myself, though.
>>
>>323008001
I meant the nod was how "You're playing the game and it always ends the same, all the other Bookers you see here are other players doing the same thing you're doing". But, as I said, gave them too much credit.

I feel like writing an article piece on it, it'd be amusing since I don't know any 'journalists' who've noted this possibility. But, as I said, it'd give credit to somebody not really deserving it.
>>
Boy I hope the other puzzles in this game are going to be a bit harder

And then there wasn't any other puzzles now were there?
>>
>>323007313
WAIT A MINUTE!
>>
>>323008024
>>323008256
Okay let's ask a simple question: What is the point of Bioshock infinite's opening "Bell Puzzle"? After going through the lighthouse, the player stops at a trio a bells where Booker pulls up the password to the bells. It clearly wasn't to test the player's wit. It also wasn't a part of player training, as pulling up cards and odd things like chimes that lock doors aren't used again. Maybe it was to confirm that the player knew to look at targets and press buttons on them, as they will do with a gun? If that's the case then why would the ball throwing "decision" about the interracial couple be operated with a menu instead of by aiming and throwing the ball? That's reverting the player training! Was the Bell Puzzle to introduce the player to (I had to look this up to remember the name) Columbia's odd machinations? No, because again it doesn't do things like that and even so the lengthy cut-scenes after getting in the elevator do that excessively. At this point I'm at wit's end, it must be to court the player into trusting the game-- giving them (what seems to be) a puzzle then swiftly coddling the player with its' answer and get the player comfortable with its lenience, and relax and absorb themselves into the emphasized narrative. Just now I must have thought this out longer than the "Bell Puzzle" took to conceive, script, and test. The solution?

The entrance to the elevator is, as you would expect, locked. So Booker needs to unlock it. After animating a cutscene where Booker inserts a key into the door, some guy (not Levine though, I doubt he ever saw this) thought "Well, this is a game, I should put a puzzle here to mix up the expositive walkabout cutscenes with some actual interaction, hmm?" Feel free to ponder if the first draft of the Bell Puzzle was actually a puzzle which got dumbed down after focus testing, or if it was bad in the first place.
>>
>>323009018

The real puzzle was trying to comprehend the story

If jumping dimensions means you can never return to the old one, why did they still care about their quest to get weapons or whatever shit it was from the original dimension when they knew that major events happened differently in this new one? Why did they just assume that the blimp thing would be in the same spot despite them having not driven it there in this dimension?

etc etc the plot is an absolute mess
>>
>>323009018
>other puzzles
>other
>implying there was even one
>>
>>323007732
>>323008001
I think the general consenus is that Levine did not really make the game in the end. The publisher got someone in to make a complete project out of levines old one, which is why so many details of gameplay got changed.

dont get me wrong hes still a hack
>>
>>323007313

"Really?"
>>
>>323009374
Oh I forgot my last line

The true point of Bioshock Infinite's Bell Puzzle is to affirm to the player that gameplay serves the story. That the script comes first. Why is the door locked? Because it makes sense for the door to be locked. Why is the player tasked with the Bell Puzzle? Because it makes sense for the door to be locked.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.