[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england- 35235288 >tfw lady Y
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: qt.png (2 MB, 1577x1000) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
2 MB, 1577x1000
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35235288

>tfw lady Yugiris voice actress is dead

fuck this gay fucking earth.
>>
You mean the actress that replaced the old one, and then proceeded to voice around three lines?
>>
>>322989554

That sucks, but you should be playing with Japanese voices anyway.
>>
>>322989865
The English VAs are fine you fucking weeaboo. I know the Japanese VA has more voiced lines but I'm not an autist about it so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>322989796
Who was the original? Looking it up I only see her.
>>
File: Merl.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Merl.jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
>>322990002
>The English VAs are fine you fucking weeaboo.
Aside from almost all of the VA replacements sounding worse than their old ones, Alphinaud aside.

Merlwyb had a complete change in voice and it was for the worst. She sounds like a housewife now.
>>
>>322989554
Tbh her performance was a bit racist senpai.
>>
>>322989554
Thought OP was talking about JP voice actress, realized it was dirty English VA, stopped caring.
>>
>>322990002

>Autism

If you tried Japanese voices and actually gave them a fair chance you would never be able to go back to dubs.

Its not about "English vs Japanese". The game itself is Japanese. Its written by Japanese people. The creators of the game work directly with the voice actors to create the characters and the dialogue. They hire the best voice actors available in Japan because its a domestic game, and not a secondhand cheap job done by a localization team who just wants to get it out as quickly and easily as possible (just like American domestic games get the best voice actors available in America).

Its the authentic experience, and a dubover cannot compare, regardless of your own native language.
>>
>>322989554

While its not nice that someone died, I literally do not care about a dubbed voice actor. That's like crying that a Japanese seiyuu who happens to do voices on the Japanese version of The Simpsons is gone. I'm still gonna watch the original Simpsons.
>>
>>322990528
>Watching Simpsons at all in fucking 2016
>>
>>322990497
As someone who actually knows Japanese, XIV's Japanese dub is fucking terrible. Not only is the script bland as fuck (XIV's English localizers have taken extreme liberties with everything in the game from the dialogue to FATE descriptions, and the English version is much better for it) but the majority of the Japanese voices just sound fucking awful. Very few, like Minfilia, are good, but I see people in-game praising the JP dub so much thay if there ever was a case of "you only like it because you don't understand the language" then it's XIV's dub. Even Japanese players would play with the Eng, Fr, or Ger dubs instead because it was so bad.

That said, the English dub was fucking shit as well until 3.0.
>>
>>322990497
Do you understand and speak Japanese?
>>
File: squareenix_localizations.jpg (758 KB, 971x754) Image search: [Google]
squareenix_localizations.jpg
758 KB, 971x754
>>322991261

Ryoo-oki (whatever her name) voiced by Belldandy's Seiyuu is the only one that bugs me. The rest are pretty standard for a Japanese game.

So no, the voice actors aren't the problem. I will agree that the actual stuff they are told to say, as well as how it is directed, is the problem. This is Final Fantasy. A series where monotone dialogue has been standard since Final Fantasy X.

Also, the English translation is not better. Endless dialects and apostrophes doesn't improve a translation. It follows the same logic you're trying to use against the Japanese voices. By having tons of crazy dialects and changed words, it draws the focus away from the bad writing/voices.
>>
File: 1452015235994.png (272 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
1452015235994.png
272 KB, 600x390
>>322989796
This, she barely showed up in HW yet everyone's BAWWW YUGIRI DIED.

It's sad that retards will remember her for voicing a now irrelevant character in a shit dying WoW clone, as irrelevant as all of 2.x's content, than for her actual acting career.
>>
>>322991708
The dialects were not what I was referring to. It's been a while since I've last played and I can't think of any examples. I just mean in general. Nearly everything charming about the game world was added in localization--the Japanese script is vanilla as fuck.

>it follows the same example you're trying to use against the Japanese voices
Hardly. Dialect dialogue that someone can still understand is different from VA in a language that they don't. That's not the point though, I wasn't referring to the dialects in the first place.
>>
>>322991708
>Endless dialects and apostrophes doesn't improve a translation.

Are you fucking stupid? You're clearly from some middle class suburb where everyone speaks similarly. You have clearly never traveled or spoken to anyone who isn't from where you are. Even in Japan going from one city to the other people speak vastly differently.

This is an emulation of real life.

You also don't speak Japanese, because if you did you'd notice that they do the exact same fucking thing. Only in Japanese instead of English.
>>
>>322991708
>Endless dialects and apostrophes doesn't improve a translation

I don't know how one is going to do an equivalent when japs love to use different province's accents. I think pic related is enough unless you like to have "Translator's Note: This NPC is using Okinawan dialect" or something similar every frame.
>>
>>
>>322992427

>You're clearly from some middle class suburb where everyone speaks similarly.
I live in Southern California which is one of the most ethnically diverse places in the USA. And Spanish is more common than English.

>You also don't speak Japanese, because if you did you'd notice that they do the exact same fucking thing.
I do know Japanese. And as >>322992174 pointed out, there's virtually no difference in dialects. Or even differences in acting. Everyone is told to act subdued and mellow. While in the western version, they have massive changes within regions. And even different dialects within the same region, like the Pirate vs Scottish dialects in Limsa. In the Japanese version, everyone in Limsa speaks standard.

You assume a ton of crap with no real basis in understanding.
>>
>>322992936

>Everyone is told to act subdued and mellow.
Except some monsters like Gligamesh and of course, Detective flaming pants.
>>
>>322990113
>>322989796
Who is the original Yugiri. She sounded the same to me.
>>
>>322993971
Paulette Ivory.
>>
>>322992141
I hope SE goes back and retcons all the bullshit face-hiding crap of yugiri earlier in 2.X because boy it stands out terribly now with Au'ra adventurers all about the realm.
>>
>>322994126
Thank you.
>>
>>322994282
Right, and they can retcon Estinien becoming Nidhogg when you do Dragoon quests after beating HW
>>
>>322992936
>I do know Japanese
>there's virtually no difference in dialects.

Medieval Japanese is today's Japanese. Japanese is a primitive language that has survived into the modern age. There is very little nuance to it, and it is very literal. And you have no idea what you're talking about if you think the Japanese don't mock other regions of Japan due to the way they talk.

Medieval English in media is seen as something different to the non-regional English that you speak. So in translation going straight to literal modern English is boring because we experience more and understand more non-literal English. If you want plain bland text read a history book.

I grew up in SF. I grew up in one of the most multicultural cities in the country. You don't know shit.
>>
>>322994386
That's just shit writing and planning tying a job story character to the main HW story, it was retarded seeing him in the 2.5 story in the first place with everything hand waved as "HE GOT BETTER".

Estinien's story should have continued in the 50 to 60 Dragoon story, not the main HW story, even if the interactions between the traveling party were good, which could have been done with a new character anyway.
>>
I don't know her actress that well but this is a fucked up way to go. Hits me harder than an outright murder for some reason.
>>
>>322994440

>I know all this stuuff

Yet none of it pertains to Final Fantasy XIV. Where nearly everyone speaks standard Japanese. With only a couple exceptions.

Also

>medieval Japanese

Yeah, you really don't know jack shit.
>>
>>322989554
the voice changes in Heavensward fucking suck.
>>
>>322994440
Wat.
Japanese has changed dramatically and is highly nuanced. There's something wrong with you if you dont get that
>>
>>322990302

I keep hearing about this and I have yet to do any 3.0 content. I'm afraid of what I'm going to hear when I finally get there.
>>
File: 1446077777370.jpg (99 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
1446077777370.jpg
99 KB, 530x530
>>322995152
Did you listen to the old VAs nigga? HW is an improvement across the board...for the most part. Except that they got rid of Gideon fucking Emery.

I'm curious to see whether the rest of the Scions will still grate on my ears, particularly Minfilia. Fuck that bitch.
>>
>>322995607
Yeah a lot of them were shitty but I still preferred the old ones.
>>
>>322995591
The people who say the new VA sucks are super fucking retarded. With the exception of two characters (Merlwyb and Urianger) the VA is vastly improved.
>>
I unsubbed a month ago. There's nothing to do at max level and they made gathering and crafting even worse.
>>
>>322995324

He's just an idiot trying to salvage a point. Don't feed him.
>>
>>322989554
>weeb goes on killing spree for ruining his au ra waifu
What a world
>>
>>322995591
A lot are better, some are definitely worse. Merlwyb, Urianger, Raubahn and Ilberd took a big hit, everyone else sounds better or mostly the same. Alphinaud is far more tolerable and even likable, he doesn't sound like an annoying faggot anymore and it even fits with his character development.

Too bad the game is still shit.
>>
>>322995152

And the rest of us who played it with Japanese voices didn't notice anything.

From Metal Gear Solid to Final Fantasy, this last gen has proven time and again that dub voice actors are expendable and replaceable.
>>
File: 1449266045174.png (562 KB, 683x642) Image search: [Google]
1449266045174.png
562 KB, 683x642
>>322996054
>he didn't like not-Sean Bean as Raubahn
>>
I like Yda's voice in ARR, does it change in HW?
>>
>>322997323
About Yda.....
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.