[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: DOG_controller_MED.jpg (343 KB, 2000x1434) Image search: [Google]
DOG_controller_MED.jpg
343 KB, 2000x1434
what went wrong?
>>
Marketing a fucking controller to PC players for one
>>
it was too good
>>
price
>>
Saying it'll work for everything.
I just played a couple 1v1 matches in Dota 2 and while I think with about 20 hours of that I could get alright with it, it will never beat a KB+M for that.
You'll never see someone at TI using a Steam controller.
>>
>>322989753
Whoops, posted too soon.
Wanted to add that what it's really good for (and I'm not kidding) is comfy web browsing. That works really well, surprisingly.
>>
What are you on about?

I've only heard good things about it, may get one myself.
>>
>>322989753
I don't think it's meant for quick paced competitive games like CS:GO and Dota 2.
>>
>>322990116
Right, I was playing Dicetiny (pretty good) and it was fine for that. Anything NOT twitchy it's fine.
>>
I'm kinda pissed that when I pre-ordered it I didn't get shit. But if you buy it now you get two games.
>>
File: Steam-Controller.jpg (496 KB, 2320x1678) Image search: [Google]
Steam-Controller.jpg
496 KB, 2320x1678
They changed the prototype.
>>
>>322989850
Hey I need a part time job, how much do they pay you to spew that bullshit?
>>
File: IMG_2242.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2242.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>322988864

Marketing. Valve wanted to give people the impression that the Steam controller is a catch-all-solution for every K/M game. What they didn't tell people is that you've gotta WORK to get every game running comfortably on it.

Do you want to play games like Civ5, Morrowind, Path of Exile, DOTA2 or CSGO on the couch? Are you willing to spend the time setting each game up until it feels right? Are you willing to overlook some flaws with the controller design? Then this is for you, as the sheer number of options is dazzling, but that also means that it caters to a niche audience.

tl;dr The "community" and/or the "default" settings for each game generally sucks ass and doesn't cater to the casuals Valve thinks it would. I like my controller, but that doesn't mean other people will.
>>
>>322990548
God I wish it was still more like this, that analog stick is crap. I know why the stuck it on there, but it's an awful compromise that I just end up having to rebind every time I play something new anyways.
>>
>>322989849

How do you rebind the controls for desktop, and get the keyboard to show up? They said that works now, but I can't figure out how for the life of me.
>>
>>322989753
>DUDE YOU CAN'T USE A CONTROLLER FOR TOP DOWN RTSish CONTROL SCHEME GAMES
WOW
YOU'RE ONLY 10 YEARS LATE TELLING EVERYONE WHAT THEY ALREADY KNOW
>>
>>322990116
>competitive games
Cut the buzzwords shillfriend.
>>
>>322991198

Yep exactly. But sinking R&D costs and building a whole factory for only a niche audience isn't really going to fly (not that disappointing customers with misleading marketing is going to work long-term either.) But they really want to push the BigPicture/SteamLink/SteamBox crap (which makes me wonder why Big Picture is so fucking awful, but whatever)
>>
>>322991827
Whoa...

>>322991719
What do you mean? I didn't rebind anything. I was just using it kind of like a mouse. Left pad is a scroll wheel if you slide your finger over it, right trigger is like left click, right pad is the pointer movement.
>>
If the stick was a really good d-pad instead I would've bought it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.