[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do games that try to push moral boundaries tend to be big
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: Leisure_Suit_Larry.jpg (90 KB, 256x320) Image search: [Google]
Leisure_Suit_Larry.jpg
90 KB, 256x320
Why do games that try to push moral boundaries tend to be big piles of shit?
>>
>>322960297
Because they have boundaries.
>>
>>322960297
More concerned with edge than actually making a good or interesting game
>>
The first two Postal games had some charm, but Postal 3 turned into a big pile of shit. Some of the older Leisure Suit Larry games were funny and decent, but Box Office Bust was trash.

There are also tribute games like Hatred which were mediocre at best. Kind of bums me out. Whenever people try to be offensive, it tends to be embarrassingly bad instead of fun.
>>
Why does Larry have so much hair?
>>
>>322960297
Because they make that their only selling point.
>>
>>322963845
It's not the same Larry you stupid cuckold. Learn the goddamn lore before posting in a LSL thread.
>>
>>322961086
>Whenever people try to be offensive, it tends to be embarrassingly bad instead of fun.
Something most of us learned when we stopped being 15.
>>
>>322963845
He's a anime.
>>
>>322960297
People mistakenly think audacity is an equal substitute for quality.
>>
>>322960297

Same as Seth McFarlane trash. The boundary becomes the focus. Not the actual gameplay/story.
>>
>>322961086
>but Postal 3 turned into a big pile of shit

Because it wasn't developed by the original creators but instead it was half-developed by some slav company, then the other half was developed by the B development team of said company.
>>
Only game I can think of that does the "complete audacity" thing with any sort of balance or tact is probably Conker's Bad Fur Day, because it has the juvenile "adult" humor but then actually has a good game behind it that does seriously impressive things with the tech of the console it's on.
Hours of spoken dialogue crunched into an N64 controller is no mean feat.
>>
>>322967452
>N64 controller

Cartridge.
>>
>tfw AO rating will never be used more often
>>
>>322960297
But there were 6 good titles and a mediocre one in the same series as that game, and they all pushed moral boundaries.
>>
Never played that particular one but LSL games never tried to "push moral boundaries". They were comedies about a loser who tries to get laid but never does.
>>
>>322960297
they focus on marketing the edgy aspects instead of fixing the actual gameplay and making it FUN/playable
>>
>>322964140
Wait what changed about the "lore"?
>>
>>322968385
Its his kid or nephew or whatever.
>>
>>322960297
Did this game even have any actual naked tits?
>>
they are more worried about pushing the gimmick of being edgy than being a good game.

for instance.
Doom is a very violent game. pushed alot boundaries but it was backed up with great game play. it is world wide known and is considered one of the best games ever made.

Hatred is a very violent game. Its game play is mediocre at best. after its release it faded in to obscurity. it focused solely on being edgy.

this goes for non FPS as well.

GG/SF/KoF. good fighting games that focus on game play before waifus and jiggle physics.

DoA. focuses on Waifus and jiggle physics. shit fighting game no one cares about outside of people who have not found out what R34 is.
>>
>>322969054
Pretty much the same thing that makes "SJW" games shitty. The focus is on the one gimmick rather than the game part of it.
>>
>>322960297
The shock value becomes the focus over the gameplay.
>>
>>322969054
The more recent DoA games are actually pretty alright gameplay wise. They're obviously not genuinely even "good" tier, but they'vegone a long way.
>>
>>322969820
Last one is tried was 4. it was still as unable as the early ps1 3D fight games. the beachvolly ball games i have never given a single fuck about. i remember that and BMXXX being pushed as Adult games. both were shit games compared to their non "adult" focused counter parts.
>>
>>322970492
Team Ninja basically improved for the most part (Aside from NG3) once Itagaki bailed.
>>
>>322970739
Oatmeal Cookie is gone?
>>
>>322970809
...He's been gone for almost 8 years, anon. He temporarily hopped on board for Razor's Edge, I think, but left to go work on Devil's Third again.
>>
>>322970809
Congratulations on emerging from your coma.
>>
>>322961086
What was bad about Hatred? I think it was good. Not amazing, but decently good.
>>
>>322971407
like he said.
Mediocre at best.
it is a very meh game. that was obvious they focused on pushing the edge to the max while putting everything else on the backburner.
>>
>>322970993
He had nothing to do with Razor's Edge. RE isn't even really that much better than the original NG3. It fixes plenty of issues, but then you still have the amazingly horrible boss fights.
>>
>>322970993
>>322971209
i just wrote off DoA and stopped paying attention. after 4 proved to be just as bad as the others i told my fat faggot friend to stop making play this shit. it was cool on dreamcast because we were 13 and had that code to make kasumi naked in the orange jello. it had shit game play. he made us play it for hours if we were at his house. when we played MvC2 or any other fighting game he would stop playing after his first match was lost "no i just want to watch". he even did that shit with melee.

in short DoA is such a shitty playing fighting game it triggers me.
>>
>>322972359
DOA 5 and onward's actually pretty alright.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.