[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baldur's gate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Baldur's_Gate_box.png (385 KB, 407x494) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's_Gate_box.png
385 KB, 407x494
About to start in to this for the first time. Should I play the enhanced edition?

Also, are there any essential mods/patches I need either with or without the enhanced edition?
>>
No one?
>>
Get the normal GOG version and use the widescreen + GUI mods. Apply baldurdash and Unfinished Business as well. If you're not familiar with DnD look up some character creation guides since creating a shit character will make it really unfun.
>>
>>322950847
>Should I play the enhanced edition?

Unless you want to play on your phone, no. Get both BG1 and BG2, use TuTu or BGT, widescreen mod and NPC Project if you want to interact with your party more.
>>
>>322953549
So no Enhanced Edition then? Any reason why?

Also, was fully planing on looking up some beginners/character creation guides and stuff. Any particularly good ones I should check out?
>>
>>322953784
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/15202

This one should be all you need.
>>
>>322953784
Like most PC HD remakes it's pointless and it used to be really buggy (probably not as much now). It's only good if you wanna play it on a tablet.
>>
File: 117684787218.jpg (164 KB, 596x893) Image search: [Google]
117684787218.jpg
164 KB, 596x893
>>322953784
>So no Enhanced Edition then? Any reason why?
It's more expensive, harder to mod and all the new content sucks.

Also Vicconia best girl
>>
Enhanced edition is fine, though pricier. You get a cleaner ui and most of the popular mods work with it.

When making your character min/max that shit because you'll very rarely get a chance to increase them. Only fighters will benefit from 18 constitution, so if you play something else 16 is good. Wisdom doesn't do a goddamn thing aside from one really nice spell, so feel free to use that as a dump stat. Int can be a dump stat too for melee fighters, but you need at least 9 to use scrolls and in BG2 Illithids can kill you by draining it.
>>
File: 1435531748424.jpg (45 KB, 352x395) Image search: [Google]
1435531748424.jpg
45 KB, 352x395
>>322954309
>Expensive

>Implying I'm giving BioWare any money
>>
>>322950847
You can play enhanced edition, it's bugless now and looks better than modded. Problem is it has some extra NPCs that are beyond crap and if you don't google it you won't which ones are new and which are old. I recommend googling it and going for enhanced edition.

Also, remember that it is low level d&d and those are never too fun and that BG2 is MUCH better, so play BG2 even if you don't like BG1.

Another small thing (not sure if it works in BG1) reading scrolls gives you exp. So if you already have that spell and want to drop the scroll because you don't need it, forget that spell and learn it again and you get exp.
>>
>>322954784
Of the Essential mods(widescreen + GUI, baldurdash, Unfinished Business, NPC project), are any of them made redundant by EE?
>>
Only reason to consider EE is to play that new expansion pack when it comes out, but based on EE's new content it likely won't be worth playing.
>>
>>322955910
Another reason is that it looks better and you don't have to bother with mods.
>>
>>322950847
This thread again? Go and play ee.
>>
>>322950847
>Should I play the enhanced edition?
Yes
>>
>>322950847
EE is fine now, there's literally no good reason to get the older copies.
>>
>>322957973
>b-but the new optional npcs you can ignore are bad
>>
>>322950847
Don't listen to people who say not to use EE they're just fucking with you.
All the mods you want work with it and you get better UI/resolution options, plus extra content even if some people sperge out about it. You don't actually have to do any of it.

There's also a new expansion coming out sometime this year for EE too. Between 1 and 2. No idea what that'll be like but it's adding in some much needed UI changes.
>>
I started playing BG1 EE a while ago, what are really the reasons to play the original? I'm having no problem with it and I've read up the changes they made and all of them look like straight improvements.
>>
>>322959150
It was buggy as shit early on and new NPCs suck (that are all optional) so it had a bad reputation. They fixed the bugs and people learned you can ignore new shitty content so it's kinda perfect now but people don't know it.
>>
>>322960040
>new NPCs suck
I'm using the new Monk guy and he's ok, with nice background and voice acting, also I read the wild mage girl is pretty decent as well and the two evil companions are OP.
>>
>>322960745
Vampire chick is the worst companion in history of RPGs (next to Serra from Inquisition) and has a shitty quest and awful (like Serra) voice acting. Others are bland.
>>
>>322961045
>Vampire chick
Which one?
Neera?
>>
>>322955537

Only one NOT redundant is the npc one
>>
>>322961563
Chick with OP cloak.
>>
>>322960745

The wild mage is fine as a party member, but dear lord her romance subplot is Gaia-tier fanfiction.
>>
>>322961563
he is talking about bg2ee now (since he cant say anything else about bgee)
>>
>>322953784
Well, the horrible pathfinding is in either game, Enhanced Edition or not, which is my biggest issue with the game. I'm playing an archer build on EE and I don't have any issues outside of that.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.