[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>MUH OCCULUS COSTS TOO MUCH BAWWWW Who cares? VR is shit,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13
File: Yato is gonna piss you off.png (105 KB, 332x389) Image search: [Google]
Yato is gonna piss you off.png
105 KB, 332x389
>MUH OCCULUS COSTS TOO MUCH BAWWWW

Who cares? VR is shit, and deep down you all know it.

It's a gimmick, a fad. Sure, it sounds like a dream, and it might make for a good small impression when you're using it in small dose on some nice showcase conference or watching wacky youtube videos of dumb V.R. games. But when this releases for mass consumption, even after it inevitably reaches a much lower price, people will realize just how worthless it actually is as a full-gaming tool. No one wants to lose all of their visual and auditory senses and lose all sense of reality for hours at a time to play video games.

No matter how perfect the technology gets, no matter how cheap, it will never be the future, because the reality is that it's an intrinsically flawed system much inferior to the one we have already.

Open your eyes.
>>
>>322932980
I agree
>>
I just want VR to advance to the point of sleeping points that jack you right into a virtual world, senses and all.

I'd never come out.
>>
Yeah, I never got the hype myself. I don't want to have some weird glasses around my head just so it can feel realer. I don't see the value in that shit.
>>
>>322932980
The problem is whether it's shit or not - and even more importantly if it IS shit - nobody can afford this in the real world, rather nobody who can will want to waste the money on it.

That means the technology will never pass what you just explained because it's something no common consumer will ever get and thus the price will never drop enough and thus the technology will never progress.

The price point is making VR ever being good a pipe dream even more than how things went in the 90s.
>>
>>322932980
>>322933660
confirmed for haven't tried it yet
>>
File: 1405827068646.jpg (13 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1405827068646.jpg
13 KB, 184x184
>Being a first adopter
>Not waiting for the tech to get cheaper and the price to drop

It's the PS3 all over again. Don't complain about the price, just wait
>>
>No one wants to lose all of their visual and auditory senses and lose all sense of reality for hours at a time to play video games.

That's all I want.
>>
>>322933631
Someone is making a suit that will make you sense what the games sense.

As if the glasses weren't ridiculous enough, now you need to have a full body suit too. Shit is ridiculous.
>>
dumb weebposter
>>
>>322932980
I feel sorry for people who spend $600 on this shit only to find it's got nothing but a bunch of half-finished tech demos.
>>
>>322932980

>sonyfags out in full force to try and belittle the 599 USD, 90fps, high resolution and low latency VR headset for PC
>not even acknowledging the future of their 699 USD, 30fps, low resolution, and high latency attempt at a VR headset

You seem upset
>>
>>322933687
>That means the technology will never pass what you just explained
The technology will never get good enough to surpass actual non-VR gaming. That's the point. It doesn't matter how many trillions of dollars you spend on it, the concept is flawed from the get go.
>>
I haven't tried it yet and can comment on its effectiveness but that's a side issue to waiting until the tech is refined and the costs and bugs are under control.

You guys can beta test for me, enjoy.
>>
>>322933965
You must be in the wrong thread, mister. Either that or your reading comprehension is the equivalent of a twelve year old's.
>>
File: 1405744299047.jpg (11 KB, 177x184) Image search: [Google]
1405744299047.jpg
11 KB, 177x184
>>322933949
This pisses me off. Why are people still making tech demos for this thing. They should be making games that take advantage of it now
>>
>>322934115

Gonna have to explain that one my good family friend, or are you incapable of doing such a thing?

I'm eagerly awaiting your deflection.
>>
>>322932980
>and lose all sense of reality for hours at a time

Joke's on you. I haven't had a firm grasp on reality in a long time.
>>
>>322934205
The OP of this thread is saying all VR is shit, Sony or otherwise.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (145 KB, 474x678) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
145 KB, 474x678
>>322932980

>OP doesn't have a firm grasp of reality

What's it like attempting to talk about something you don't even understand?
>>
>>322933631
That's what I've always thought VR was. I don't know where the fuck this craze over gluing a monitor to your eyes came from, but wake me up when we get full sensory integration.
>>
File: 1452029431344.png (564 KB, 1501x1364) Image search: [Google]
1452029431344.png
564 KB, 1501x1364
>No one wants to lose all of their visual and auditory senses and lose all sense of reality for hours at a time to play video games.

How did you get it so completely fucking wrong. How did you write this and not hold the backspace key and go, "Yeah, wait, what I wrote there was retarded."

Literally EVERYONE wants to lose all sense and play videogames for hours on end. That's why "Muh Immersion" is such a huge thing.
>>
>>322932980
The only application I see for this shit is waifu simulators and regular simulators.

Everywhere else it's just a hindrance and adds literally nothing.

>b-but muh immersion

Like with any kind of gimmick, you'd get tired of it a after a few hours.
>>
>>322932980
You're right.
>>
>>322934472

Except there's no proof in their hollow statement, with no solid examples stating their reasoning. Face it, proper console VR is at least a decade away, and it's already here for PC's. It's time to wake up from your dream young lady.
>>
>>322934474
What I understand is that you're falling for marketing and dream talks, and when reality comes knocking to you, you'll realize it isn't what you hoped.

Cannot wait for the millions of "vr sucks after all" and "what went wrong bros?" threads.
>>
I feel like I've seen this post before.
>>
>>322932980
I agree

The only way virtual reality would actually work is when we have the technology to make something like the Star Trek Holodeck

Having a faggoty screen taped to your head will just annoy me and immersion is highly overrated
>>
>>322934173
>They
Who's this they? Who is going to spend the money developing a game for VR, an experimental peripheral for a huge price tag?

I personally love the Oculus(I might be one of the few people here to actually have fucking used one, judging by the posts), but it's just way too expensive at it's current asking price. It's doomed not because of tech, but because there's just going to be no tangible support for it. Especially in this industry that is notorious for playing it safe.
>>
The people whining about the price are only whining because they can't admit the product is a shitty gimmick.
Instead of admiting they were wrong they will go ''boohoo it's too expensive! I trusted them!''. It's just a fucking reason to not buy it.
>>
File: Yehe.gif (180 KB, 285x239) Image search: [Google]
Yehe.gif
180 KB, 285x239
>>322934576
People sometimes think they want things, until they actually start doing these things and realize "Wait a minute, this isn't what I wanted at all!"

See: Gaming without a controller and motion controllers as well as 3D gaming.

Gimmicks, fads, nice on paper, until the day you spent money on it and have it in your house and play it for maybe a week or two, and then the realization that you'd rather just go back to playing with a controller or a keyboard on a regular monitor comes back in, and you realize the money you wasted.
>>
File: 1452115260777.png (116 KB, 389x332) Image search: [Google]
1452115260777.png
116 KB, 389x332
>The year is 1996

>MUH 3D CONSOLES COSTS TOO MUCH BAWWWW

Who cares? 3D is shit, and deep down you all know it.

It's a gimmick, a fad. Sure, it sounds like a dream, and it might make for a good small impression when you're using it in small dose on some nice showcase conference or watching wacky VHS of dumb 3.D. games. But when this releases for mass consumption, even after it inevitably reaches a much lower price, people will realize just how worthless it actually is as a full-gaming tool. No one wants to lose all of their visual and auditory senses and lose all sense of reality for hours at a time to play video games.

No matter how perfect the technology gets, no matter how cheap, it will never be the future, because the reality is that it's an intrinsically flawed system much inferior to the one we have already.

Open your eyes.
>>
>>322934952
>memes memes memes
>>
File: ne.png (119 KB, 380x391) Image search: [Google]
ne.png
119 KB, 380x391
>>322935040
How's that 3DS treating ya, buddy? :^)
How about that Wii U? :^)
Or maybe you fell for the Kinect too? How's that going? :^)

But this will change everything, goy. It will all be different. So keep being hyped. Fall for that hype. Fall for it.

The only thing will outweigh your bitter disappointment and tears will be the money Facebook or whoever else gets from you.
>>
File: laughingpizza.png (521 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
laughingpizza.png
521 KB, 2560x1440
>>322932980
This is exactly what people said about cellphones
>>
>>322932980
VR will always be a gimmick until it involves the entire body.
>>
>>322935534
Cellphone gaming continues to be worthless, so... Thanks for proving my point?
>>
>>322933965
>Sonyfags
Those faggots are getting a VR set to you dense fuck. VR is a gimmick no matter how you sugar coat it
>>
File: 123213455262.png (425 KB, 784x430) Image search: [Google]
123213455262.png
425 KB, 784x430
>>322935603
Cellphone gaming rakes in a lot of cash, so... thanks for being retarded?
>>
>>322935534
and radio, and tv, and a fucking telegraph.
it's easy to spot a person who didn't try the vr: he's a naysayer.
>>
Oculus is gonna so worth it when some company creates software that connects to a strapon and and a fucking machine and makes it possible from women on the other side of the world assume the rule of a dickgirl and fuck me in the ass.
>>
>>322935756
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know Facebook and everyone else are gonna make tons of cash from these gimmicks. That's not the point. I don't give a fuck about that.

The point is that it will still be a worthless gimmick and fad and will match absolutely none of your dreams and you will be bitterly back to normal gaming, although, of course, only after you gave Facebook your fair share of money :^)
>>
>>322936090
>>322935389
That's a whole lot of passive-aggressiveness, Anon.
>>
>>322935040
>>322935534
Oculus Rift is a motion controlled mouse, with mobile phone screens strapped to your head.
I've tried it on three different occasions, and every time I couldn't believe others in the room were impressed by it.
There isn't a single new thing that can be done with it.
There's absolutely nothing to it
>>
>>322935756
The Wii raked in a lot of cash too, and that's exactly how VR will cash in as well. Every family will want one of these toys............ To play for a week and then forget about it.
Meanwhile, people like you will think this is the future, and a few years later, you will look back on it and see it was merely another fad of the past until the next new gimmick comes along to sucker you in again.
>>
>>322934518
>That's what I've always thought VR was.
That's what VR is.

These pricks just misappropriated the name to attract attention.
>>
>>322936281
>Wii
>play for a week and then forget about it.
I'm pretty sure it lasted a bit longer than that.
As in, an entire generation.
>>
>>322936281
Wii had the largest amount good games on the last generation.
Most of them didn't sell very well though, because they weren't for the "Wii audience"
>>
File: The VR user experience.png (1 MB, 760x900) Image search: [Google]
The VR user experience.png
1 MB, 760x900
>gluing a monitor to your face for an extra 600 bux

VR is literally a meme technology
>>
>>322932980
And people still take the bait.
>>
>>322936948
The worst part is that the few games for the thing are going to play worse than without the thing
It's literally the Wii U gamepad of peripherals.
>>
>>322932980
I have a DK2 collecting dust and I agree 100% with this
>>
>>322935040
But that is true, unlike the OP.
>>
File: 1438323504548.gif (3 MB, 279x350) Image search: [Google]
1438323504548.gif
3 MB, 279x350
>$600
>a months rent

you would seriously spend that much fucking money on some material object that doesn't even do anything useful? I guess the most it useful for is fapping
>>
oh my god why is /v/ so fucking contrarian all the time

fuck you all
>>
>>322935389
Damn dude, you tried to make an argument but wound up using memes as a self defense.
>>
>>322936948

I doubt many people who arent NEET will have the time to use it desu. Who has the time to fully block themselves from the world (cant hear the door or phone easily) for hours at a time. Even if its effective as fuck its still no convineient
>>
The other thing to add to the equation is that no matter how good the technology get, it will never truly get over the motion sickness problem.

The fact that your brain thinks you're in a situation for real just makes it impossible for you to not have motion sickness if they have you teleport, or take control away from you, or have you run and fly really fast.

It really is a pipe dream and it's a shame everyone is falling for it.
>>
>>322937662
Oculus doesn't look worth $600 that's why
>>
>>322937410
>$600
>a months rent
I think it's so sad that the people in such pathetic conditions, who need VR the most, can't afford it.
>>
Modern VR is less like Wiimote waggle and more like a currently obscenely expensive monitor replacement, I think.

The possibilities for the technology are pretty crazy in general, not just for entertainment- but it's just too expensive right now.
>>
People were walking the same about iPod nano. Screw you guys, I'm grabbing it.
>>
File: 1428438549410.jpg (65 KB, 465x700) Image search: [Google]
1428438549410.jpg
65 KB, 465x700
>>322935756
Which phones are we talking about here? Cellphones with Snake? Or Smart Phones?
>>
>>322932980

VR is the new 3d. An expensive gimmick that will die out within a year.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.