[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a mechanical keyboard worth it? I'm currently using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
Is a mechanical keyboard worth it?

I'm currently using a shitty standard microsoft keyboard.
>>
File: le happy merchant.jpg (359 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
le happy merchant.jpg
359 KB, 1162x850
Of course goy, you have to spend $200 for a keyboard in order to have the best gaming experience!
>>
>>322796807
go try one out at the store and make a decision on your own
>>
>>322796807
bout as worth it as updating to the newest smartphone every time one comes out.

comfort > everything else.

i cant stand the noise, nor would the wife be happy with how much noise just typing makes, let alone when you get into a game..
>>
>>322796807
They make a bigger difference for typing than they do for gaming really.
If you do a lot of typing I would recommend blue switches, its a difference of 20-30 WPM for me.

If you don't type but do play games, get reds or something similarly less noisy. Blues for gaming are fucking awful, way too loud.
>>
>>322796807
This kind of shit with wedge keys is shit for typing on
>>
>>322796807
Not really. But if you want a new keyboard for any other reason than to go mechanical, pick one that's mechanical.
>>
>>322796807
/g/ here, just passing through.
Gaming - MX Reds (Linear, silent, very light)
Typing - MX Blues (Tactile, clicky)
Best of both worlds - MX Browns (Tactile, silent)

Don't buy Razer.
>>
>>322797668
>wife
>>
find one at a rummage sale or the flea market
enjoy glorious clickiness without any of the buyers remorse
>>
>>322797364
Don't listen to this Jew. It's just more enjoyable to type on, don't buy it if you think you'll become a sick gamer.
>>
>>322801024
I have blues and I like them for everything, even gaming. My roommate has browns and they feel mushy to me. One of my close friends just got reds and they also feel mushy. I think everything about the blues are best. I can see why some people would be turned off by the noise, but it doesn't bother my roommates or me.
>>
>>322796807
All mustard race bullshit aside, having used both regular and mechanical keyboards I do prefer the mechanical one. It feels a lot more responsive, hasn't gotten stuck or lost sensitivity at all, and sounds badass.
>>322797364
No. You don't need to spend even $100 to get a decent mechanical keyboard (only time you'll pay more is for epic "gaming" shit that's a ripoff anyway and should be avoided)
>>
>>322796807
absolutely
>>
I use browns, they're fine for me.
>>
>not a $50 IBM model M

best meme ever
>>
>>322796807
I have an Azio MGK1 and it's working great so far, got it last month when it was $60. I don't really have any problems with it like keys sticking or not responding. I will know if it is the best decision by the end of this year.
>>
>>322802147
Also I have blue switches. I know they're not silent, but it's not too noisy.
>>
>>322796807
Get a sturdy one and it will last you forever, i get the feeling that my Steelseries 6G will never break having bashed it many times over many years and it taking it with stride.
>>
Topre is objectively better.
>>
>>322796807
I recently got the keyboard in OP's pic. Honestly, the responsiveness of my old membrane keyboard was just as good. The keys were more crisp - on the mechanical one, even a light brush will register, which is a hindrance for my typing.
If you make less mistakes while typing you won't notice this though.

I'd say get one if you can. It's just as good for gaming and lasts longer.
>>
Used the same shit $10 keyboard for 10+ years. Mechanical kb are another fad to waste money on.
>>
>>322803160
What type of switches, anon?
>>
>>322796807
DO NOT ASK /v/ FOR ADVICE.

/v/ IS FILLED WITH UNDERAGE REDDIT FAGGOTS.

IF YOU WANT GOOD ADVICE ASK /g/.
>>
Just 3D print one dude
>>
>>322804272
/g/ is just as autistic and stupid as /v/ only filled with more freetards
>>
>>322803487
Red
>>
>>322800121
Yeah thats what I was thinking
They seem like a nice luxury but I wont be buying in till I have a decent reason
>>
They're great to type on (got that typewriter feeling) but for playing games it doesn't make much difference. You'd be better off spending that kind of money on an arcade stick for retro and fighting games if you're into that, makes way more difference. Of course you could always use a gamepad for those but where's the fun in that?

Also, on switches:
>blue
If you use it only for typing.
>brown
Both typing and playing games.
>red
Being a faggot who shouldn't have bought a mechanical keyboard.
>>
>>322801024
I use Browns and also use Blues on another board and like them both.

I get what you mean when you say silent, but just for the sake of technicalities for other anons who don't know the keys aren't literally silent, they still make a fair bit of noise but they are quieter than their 'non-silent' counterpart switches.
>>
>>322807432
This. It's like calling a suppressor for a gun a "silencer". Compared to membrane keyboards it's still far from silent.
>>
>>322801024
>recommending gritty reds
Try MX Clear or one of the tactile Alps instead of MX Browns
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.